Start by marking “The Storyteller” as Want to Read:

Read Book

The Storyteller

Banished by his family, young, blind aristocrat Oleg finds there are advantages of living isolated with just his tutor for company. But the perfect day said tutor, Neiam, planned for them, Oleg's father seems hell bent on ruining.

A Valentine's Day freebie: m/m, fantasy, bdsm

Sep 2014: temporarily only available to read online.
Published February 14th 2012 by Storm Moon Press

To ask other readers questions about The Storyteller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Storyteller

Melanie
Mar 11, 2012 Melanie rated it really liked it
First reviewed for JoyfullyJay:

Rating: 4 stars

The Storyteller is an amazing short story now available as a free read from Storm Moon Press. It is narrated by Oleg, a young man who has been banished to his family's country estate because of his blindness. "Sightless, useless, an abomination", he is tended to by Neiam who has been hired by his Father to take care of both the estate and his son. That's the bare bones of the story that is remarkable in so many ways.

Using Oleg to narra
Serena Yates
Feb 25, 2012 Serena Yates rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
Short and sweet (not to mention free!), this is a kinky little Valentine’s Day story in a setting that feels historical. The key message is about trust in a D/s relationship though, so the setting doesn’t really matter. Oleg, the sub, tells the story of his Valentine’s Day with his master, Neiam. Interestingly, to the outside world, Oleg is the master, since he is an aristocrat, and Neiam his servant.

What gives an extra twist to the situation is that Oleg is blind. Pretty much banished by his f
Michi Rosa
Feb 28, 2012 Michi Rosa rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Beautiful little short story.

Neiam gives Oleg a reason to live for, his stories, their passion.
Though it's a very short story, you can see that Neiam loves Oleg by the lovely way he calls the younger man "pet".

Oleg is blind and knows that he is considered an abomination in the society eyes. He misses his sister and maybe his mother but he loves Neiam and doesn't want to ever leave his side.

*sigh*

Heidi Belleau
A sexy little morsel of a short with a glimpse of a wonderful BDSM relationship at its core.
Tam
Mar 01, 2012 Tam rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, bdsm
This review can be found at Brief Encounters Reviews.

The blurb for this free short from Storm Moon Press pretty much says it all. Oleg has been sent “for his own good” to a remote family estate with his tutor to take care of him. Oleg resents his family for their actions, having a handicapped son is considered distasteful in this world, and yet now that he and Neiam have settled into their relationship, he’s actually rather glad of his family’s decision, even if it still annoys him.

He and Neiam
Victoria Zagar
Nov 25, 2012 Victoria Zagar rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, free-reads
Oleg is blind and because of this he has been sent away by his father to live with Neiam. The two have built a relationship based on trust which flows into their sexual life as well, with Oleg being the sub in the relationship. While he didn't want to leave home, Oleg realizes when his father comes to visit that he's actually happier with Neiam than he ever was at home - instead of being despised and looked down upon, he has a very special place in Neiam's life and finally feels wanted.

What a lo
Alex
Feb 15, 2012 Alex rated it liked it
Overall
This pseudo-historical story was offered free from Storm Moon Press for Valentine's day. It's pretty light on plot, with the largest confrontation being Oleg's father, but it was an interesting look at a Sub/Dom relationship where the sub is blind, thus ramping up the trust he must give to Neiam. I really liked the relationship between the two men, and I think this story could definitely be made into a series of vignettes accounting their life together.

Be sure to check out my other review
Jana Denardo
Shelves: fantasy, erotica, lgbt
Clodia Metelli
May 29, 2012 Clodia Metelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, glbt, erotica
A pleasing little tale on many levels. A vignette introducing us to the unusual relationship between a blind young nobleman and his tutor. The erotic energy between the two of them is palpable and intense, while a D/s dynamic in which the s is guided firmly and lovingly towards being stronger and more independent was refreshing to read about.
Dcf260
Feb 28, 2012 Dcf260 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
It was very well written but it seemed to be more like a couple of connected scenes than a story. You just got introduced to the characters when it ended. It was very short. Overall it was cute but I would have liked to see more about these characters.
Marcia Carrington
Poetic, artistic short story which treats its central character with sensitivity and delicacy, and thankfully does not take an exploitative route in terms of adult content, instead, keeping events on a more literary keel.
Katy Beth Mckee
Jun 09, 2012 Katy Beth Mckee rated it really liked it
Shelves: freebie, erotic, bdsm, m-m
Very a very short free read the story was very intriguing. You cared about the characters and were happy for them.
Violetta Vane
Feb 14, 2012 Violetta Vane added it
Shelves: mm
A fascinating dynamic—very sweet and very unique— set in a rich, sensuous environment.
Fangtasia
Mar 21, 2012 Fangtasia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: perfect-subs
Short, sweet, hot, and kinky. Gave me kind of a "poetic justice" kind of feeling. Wonderful read.
Valerie Kubiak
Dec 14, 2016 Valerie Kubiak rated it really liked it
If more BDSM books were like this, I'd read the genre much more often!
I wish there had been a little more to the backstory, though.
Furio
Aug 08, 2013 Furio rated it did not like it
I got it for free and that is about all there is to this extremely short M/M erotic fantasy.

Writing is decent but, alas!, this is another one of those lady-authors bent on forcing redundant and meaningless BDSM scenes into her M/M erotica.
This overexploited subgenre requires extreme skill to make sense.
Here, taking into account that (view spoiler) it feels ethically questionable.

Another problem is that we lack any background informati
Hilary
Feb 17, 2013 Hilary rated it liked it
I actually quite enjoyed the writing in this. Blaine D. Arden did a beautiful job of conveying the sense of sound. The main character is blind, and so there was virtually no visual description. It was an interesting exercise in amplifying the other senses. Without telling a story, the rhythm of storytelling was gloriously conveyed. Wonderful job.

I didn't as much enjoy the odd name choices and the subplot of the main character being a defective aristocrat, due to his blindness. It seemed unnecess
Sophia
May 03, 2013 Sophia rated it liked it
This short 12pp piece was a nice little vignette. It is more of a dip into the middle of a story line already in progress than a story itself. There are mild BDSM elements including a spanking scene. I was drawn to the main character who narrates the piece, but I wasn't wholeheartedly engaged because it was just too short and open-ended for that to happen. That being said it is still a decent piece.

The main character, Oleg, lives with his caregiver, Neiam. Oleg is blind and has been sent to live
Lucy
Jun 29, 2012 Lucy rated it liked it
3.5
This is a very short story of Oleg, who’s blindness is an embarrassment to his family. “The sightless, the useless, the abomination” are what he is called and in all matters, his father, mother and siblings are the ones who decide what will happen to him. In this case it is the banishment to a country estate with his tutor, Neiam, who is so much more than that. It is a D/s relationship with caring, pride and love.
rebecca bryant
Apr 14, 2012 rebecca bryant rated it it was amazing
we see Oleg a young man sent away by his family because he is blind and this is unacceptable to his family. At first furious by his family treatment of him, he soon realizes that what he thought was a punishment is actually his good fortune as he and his tutor Neiam settle into their relationship. a really great short love story.
Eyre
Nov 11, 2013 Eyre rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, lgbt, free
Really good story. Tam wrote a fantastic review of it here, so I'm not going to say anything other than I would love for the author to tell us more about these two characters.
Barb ~rede-2-read~
A short story, I thought had a lot missing. When it started I felt like I must have missed the prologue, and when it ended, I just thought there should have been more meat to it. In summary, it was okay but felt unfulfilled.
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by:Lucy
Genre: M/M BDSM
Rated: 3.5 hearts

Check out the review at: Hearts On Fire Reviews
Melissa
May 13, 2014 Melissa rated it it was ok
I'm not quite sure what exactly was the purpose of this story. It's not part of a series - it's simply a slice in a day of some characters we've just been introduced to.
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was ok
Feb 19, 2012
Syfy
Syfy rated it liked it
May 29, 2012
Samantha
Samantha rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2012
Kelli
Kelli rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2012
Rhia Thamas
Rhia Thamas rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Storm_Moon_Press: The Storyteller - Blaine D. Arden 1 5 Jun 15, 2012 12:31PM
  • Playing Doctor  (Catalyst, #1.5)
  • The War at the End of the World
  • Is Love Still Enough?
  • Rhys Has a Crush
  • Apples and Regret and Wasted Time
  • Home Port
  • Daron's Guitar Chronicles: Volume One (Daron's Guitar Chronicles, #1)
  • The Tentacle Monster Everyone Wanted
  • Red-Eye Dawn (Turbulence, #3)
  • Cupid's Beau
Blaine D. Arden is a purple-haired, forty-something author of queer romance mixed with fantasy, mystery, and magic who sings her way through life in platform boots.

Born and raised in Zutphen, the Netherlands, Blaine spent many hours of her sheltered youth reading, day dreaming, making up stories and acting them out with her Barbies. After seeing the film “An Early Frost” as a teen in the mid-eight
More about Blaine D. Arden...