Start by marking “Ice Blue (Lord and Lady Hetheridge, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ice Blue (Lord and Lady Hetheridge, #1)

Ice Blue (Lord and Lady Hetheridge #1)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  713 ratings  ·  87 reviews
Anthony Hetheridge, ninth Baron of Wellegrave, Chief Superintendent for New Scotland Yard, never married, no children, no pets, no hobbies, and not even an interesting vice, will turn sixty in three weeks. With the exception of his chosen career, too sordid for his blue-blooded family to condone, his life has been safe and predictable. But then he meets Detective Sergeant ...more
Published February 9th 2012 by Lyonnesse Books (first published March 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ice Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ice Blue

Allison
This is a contemporary New Scotland Yard procedural mystery in London with some quite gruesome murders and gritty details making this not what I would call a cozy mystery. Involving the elite class, which I didn't realize was still so... elite these days, the mystery was interesting with some good misdirection and a satisfying reveal.

For those who like a bit of romance in their mystery, there is the start of a romance between the 60 year old chief and a detective half his age, which surprisingl
Marion Sipe
Apr 27, 2011 Marion Sipe rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
Shelves: crime, mystery
I was immediately intrigued by Anthony Hetheridge, although the opening is a bit distant and takes a while to settling into Hetheridge's present POV. The character voice pulled me into the story as I learned a few important facts about the man. Once the story settled into his POV it moved smoothly, there were a lot of wonderful little character details.

And then I met Kate. The interaction between these two characters--all the characters, really--would have kept me reading just about anything. Th
Marsha
I like to buy cheap mysteries for my Kindle that I can read at night before I go to sleep. You know, brain candy that won't make me think or keep me up wondering what's going to happen. I happened upon this book by Emma Jameson and it fulfilled all the requirements plus it was an entertaining read. The characters were fairly diverse and interesting, albeit a little farfetched. That an East-ender in the Met can catch the eye - and hold it - of a titled Superintendent twice her age does seem a lit ...more
Susan
ICE Blue is the first book of the Lord and Lady Hetheridge mystery series by Emma Jameson, set in modern-day London. I received an electronic copy from the author via Smashwords.

Anthony Hetheridge, 9th Baron of Wellegrave, is a Chief Superintendent at Scotland Yard. His rank in society gives him access to investigate crimes within the aristocracy. Hetheridge has lived a solitary life. His upcoming 60th birthday weighs on his mind.

Detective Sergeant Kate Wakefield, from the East End, is a young
Lin Paulson
I liked it! I bought it for 99 cents as a road trip read on my Kindle but didn't open it until the second week out. Luckily we stopped early at a motel because I read the whole book that night.In the opening chapter, I decided Anthony Hetheridge, ninth Baron of Wellegrave, was just another aristocrat turned Scotland Yard Chief Superintendent. He's approaching 60, never married, lives alone and knows he'll never go beyond a chief superintendent. He's contemplating life as a civilian.Then Detectiv ...more
Susie
I was pleasantly surprised by this mystery. The characters are all interesting, the mystery was a surprise and the romance was cute. The age difference between Hetheridge and Wakefield is a little disconcerting. Unfortunately when I read about May/December romances I am always reminded of that Sex in the City episode where Samantha dates a much older man:
"In the dark all cats look the same...
Ed's lips were not the lips of an older man.
Ed's touch was not the touch of an older man...
Unfortunately
Patricia
This book needs an editor who knows Britain / London. Too many 'local' mistakes. As it's published in Kentucky and therefore maybe self-published and not sold internationally, maybe most readers wouldn't have noticed. It drove me nuts, and I ALMOST got out a pen and marked it up to send back...

The story was pretty good and the writing good enough. May read another one, if there is one, just because. But Ms Jameson (I know that's not your name), spend more time than a semester abroad to get the l
Sanna
I don't know how I stumbled upon this on amazon, but gobbled it up on kindle. Both this one and the second one are high quality and I hope the series continues and becomes a big hit.
Gary Ruse
I enjoyed this one. It's an interesting mix of English Cozy and Police Procedural, and the offbeat romance makes it appealing. I hope to see more of these characters!
Tara West
AMAZING story! I'm on to book two now. I just loved the humorous banter and chemistry between Tony and Kate.
Allison
This is our introduction to Lord Anthony Hetheridge and his introduction to DS Kate Wakefield. To say these are two very different people is putting too fine a point on it. Tony is coming up on his 60th birthday and Kate is in her early 30’s; Tony is from the aristocracy as it exists today and Kate is from the wrong side of the tracks (which is probably an Americanism that doesn’t apply here); Tony is working beneath his status, Kate managed to pull herself up to become something her family woul ...more
Caro Kinkead
Claire
Kirsten
I downloaded this mystery for only 99 cents, as it sounded a little entertaining. And how far wrong can you go for only 99 cents?

Boy was I pleasantly surprised! It had a fairly good mystery story, it was set in upper class England, and it had a wonderful romance to boot. He is an upper crust, aristocratic, Chief Superintendent who is surprised by romance in his later years. She is a feisty, career driven, DC from the East End with home issues. And the sparks fly! Wonderful! I practically read t
Sue T
I really wanted to love this book. The mystery was great, the pacing was excellent and the characters were very well written. However, the author needed to be a bit more thorough in her research. A bit of the plot focused on (view spoiler) ...more
Anna
Loved this new mystery by an unknown (at least to me) author. Anthony Hetheridge reminds me of one of my favorite fictional policemen, Tommy Lynley, of Elizabeth George's novels.

Hetheridge and his junior officers in the department are interesting characters with witty dialogue and real lives--the characters are pretty well fleshed out, even in this first book, which is rather short. Ms. Jameson does make the reader want to know more about the back stories of everyone.

This book is listed as the f
Kimberly
Ice Blue
By Emma Jameson
Narrated by Jack Wallen
This is the worst book I have read in a long time. The narration sounds like the performer cannot catch his breath. At first I thought that was the problem, so I switched over to reading on the Kindle. To have the main character’s trip to the toilet being described in way to much detail. Comparing this to Sweet Valley High or Harlequin Romance books is insulting to Sweet Valley High and Harlequin books.

As far as being a police procedural, the ranks
Nancy Goldberg
I really enjoyed this book and finding out how Tony and Kate met (I read a sample of the third book in the series, but hadn't yet read the first two). I loved the characters, and also liked the secondary, Paul. I enjoyed reading about Kate's family, and the secret that Tony finally discovered while investigating a murder case. This is a great book! I look forward to reading the others and seeing Kate and Tony's relationship develop.
Alisa
An utterly charming, put-a-smile-on-my-face-while-reading, delicious murder mystery. The characters are all richly developed, from the leading players down to those who grace only a few pages. The cheeky banter of the main characters is delightful and the murder mystery itself is painted with a highly intelligent brush. I can't wait for more in this series. Thankfully, I won't have to, because I have the next one in my reading queue.
Carol
This is a standard British type Police Procedural with a nice twist. It spotlights some problems professional women, actually all working women face both at work and at home. It has some of the most interesting characters I have met in a long time in a British mystery. I am anxious to read the next book in the series. Sadly, there isn't one out there yet. Get writing, Emma Jameson, you audience anxiously awaits.
Kirsten
OK, I feel a bit hoodwinked. The kindle store recommended this mystery to me and I snapped it up (I'm a marketer's dream!). It had all of the ingredients of a good series, but the dialogue just wasn't believable and the cast of characters never really came together. Then, it ended abruptly on about page 160. Seriously? Such a slim volume never would have grabbed me in a brick and mortar store.
Jan
Nice, not too complicated British Mystery series. Audible reviews noted "Horrible narrator." He pretty much was, but the story was interesting and I will read the next books.
Joanne
If you're a fan like me of PBS Mysteries or watch any mystery series on BBC America, you'll love "Ice Blue" by Emma Jameson. This book is the first in the Lord and Lady Hetheridge series. I liked the character development, the interaction of the characters, and as well as the mystery plot. I'm looking forward to reading the next in this series.
International Cat Lady
Definitely the best of all the 'on sale for 99cents on kindle' books that I bought (well, I still have 3 more to read...) Patterned after Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley / Detective Havers books (titled male chief superintendent, lower class female detective subordinate) but with enough differences to make it original and engaging.
SaJe Goodson
I won this book through FirstReads, and I'm really glad I did! The outstanding thing about this book is the characters. Every one is clear and compelling, and when added to an interesting mystery, it makes for a straight-through read that leaves you hungry for the next book, which is apparently in the copy-edit stage. YAY!!!
Kathy
Dec 17, 2012 Kathy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: favs
This book is a quick and easy read, and I quite enjoyed it. The characters are nicely developed (although based on the book overview, I'd expected to read more from Tony's point of view). I will definately read more from this author.
Rebecca
Really enjoyed it. The interactions between Tony and Kate were quite funny, and while I had my suspicions I did not guess the killer until the end. I am anxiously awaiting the next installment in the series, and hope it comes out soon!
Tabitha Ormiston-Smith
In the tradition of Ngaio Marsh, but very much up to the minute, this detective novel brings reassurance to the Marsh/Christie/Allingham fan that the genre is alive and well in the 21st century.

Based around the traditional detective novel structure, and the much loved 'upper class detective' trope that Allingham, Marsh and Sayers made so popular, this book nevertheless delights with freshness and a very modern take. The issues of sexist and racist harassment within the English police and society
Margaret
This is the first book I have read of Emma Jameson and I loved it. The characters are very authentic, I found I was more interested in them than in the actual mystery. I look forward to reading more from this author.
Val Sanford
Very fun British Baron is a Chief Superintendent for Scotland Yard and he pairs with a struggling up and coming detective from the wrong part of town. Good story, fun banter and worth more books.
Cozy Mysteries : CONCLUDED: Free Cozy Mystery ICE BLUE (2/12-2/15) 23 61 Feb 18, 2012 08:58AM
  • Sweet Revenge (A Lady Arianna Regency Mystery, #1)
  • Last Diner Standing (Rose Strickland Mystery, #2)
  • Stiffs and Swine (A Supper Club Mystery, #4)
  • Murder in a Mill Town (Gilded Age Mystery, #2)
  • The Sleeping Partner (Sarah Tolerance, #3)
  • The Ninth Daughter (Abigail Adams #1)
  • The Glass House (Captain Lacey, #3)
  • A Woman of Consequence (A Dido Kent Mystery, #3)
  • A Broken Vessel (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #2)
  • Three Odd Balls (Cue Ball Mysteries, #3)
  • Silent Night (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #5)
  • The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #1)
  • The Disappearance of Mavis Woodstock (The Val & Kit Mystery Series, #1)
  • Miss Dimple Disappears (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #1)
  • Murder on the First Day of Christmas
  • Dorchester Terrace (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #27)
  • Remnant: A Caldwell & Feximal/Whyborne & Griffin Mystery (The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal; Whyborne & Griffin, #3.5)
  • Double Dip (Davis Way #2)

Lord and Lady Hetheridge (4 books)
  • Blue Murder (Lord and Lady Hetheridge, #2)
  • Something Blue (Lord and Lady Hetheridge, #3)
  • Black & Blue (Lord and Lady Hetheridge, #4)
Marriage Can Be Murder (Dr. Benjamin Bones Mysteries, #1) Blue Murder (Lord and Lady Hetheridge, #2) Something Blue (Lord and Lady Hetheridge, #3) Deadly Trio: 3 English Mysteries: Ice Blue, Blue Murder, Something Blue (Lord and Lady Hetheridge Mystery Series) Marriage Can Be Murder (Dr. Benjamin Bones Mysteries) (Volume 1)

“Arthritis, he had long ago learned, could only be managed with two things: denial, and an absolute refusal to stop moving.” 0 likes