Start by marking “A Cleansing of Souls” as Want to Read:
A Cleansing of Souls

A Cleansing of Souls

4.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  41 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
"Tom Spanner is stuck in a mundane job and haunted by memories of his dead baby brother, Little Norman. Unable to deal with his loss, he leaves for Big Town.

Decades earlier, Michael Parrish wakes up in bed with his fourteen-year-old sister, Jennifer. He is seventeen years old. She is fourteen and dead. And he can't stop grinning.

When Tom makes his way to Big Town, these tw
Kindle Edition, 2
Published February 13th 2012 (first published August 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Cleansing of Souls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cleansing of Souls

Louise
Jan 31, 2013 Louise rated it really liked it
Darren Sant
May 10, 2012 Darren Sant rated it it was amazing
A Cleansing Of Souls is an unusual novel. The setting is both grounded and real but also magical and ethereal. Ayris seems to possess a magic looking glass. He presents the reader with everyday situations and then shows the truth behind them. This draws you in and you find his insights FEEL right. Ayris deals with subjects such as loneliness, regret, unrequited love, mental illness with tenderness and indeed wisdom.

A book about never losing a moment of this precious thing we call life. Other aut
Emma (Queen of the weirdo's)
Feb 25, 2012 Emma (Queen of the weirdo's) rated it it was amazing
Wow! I have just put this book down and really don't know how to put in to words how I feel about it. It is probably one of the most powerful books I have ever read!
The author has an amazing way with words and I took my time with the book in order to savour it, I did not want to finish it. It was a very emotional read and is something that is going to stay with me for a very long time.
This is the second book I have read by Stuart Ayris and both are up there now with my all-time favourites.
Kate
Mar 20, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it
This book takes you on an emotional journey. I love Stuart Ayris' style of writing. The way in which he deals with socially challenging issues in both this book and Tollesbury Time Forever, in seemingly effortless ways makes me, as a social psychologist, want to take my hat off to him and bow at his feet. Simply wonderful.
Aunty Janet
Mar 06, 2012 Aunty Janet rated it it was amazing
The is a beautifully written account of loss and psychiatric breakdown. Painful to read at times, but always with gorgeous prose. You are drawn into the world of the characters and their distress, sometimes reaching a resolution, and sometimes not.
I heartily recommend this book, not for a comfortable read, but for a breathless literary experience.
Bev
Apr 03, 2013 Bev rated it it was amazing
Fabulous.... A truly compelling novel which I found myself lost in from beginning to end. Beautifully written, captivating and heartwarming. Stuart's style of writing makes you feel a part of the book, and you do not want the story to end. Another masterpiece from this brilliant author.
TonyQ
Apr 26, 2013 TonyQ rated it it was amazing
Again Stuart has delivered! The psychological stuff is not normally my thing but loved it again! Especially the connection with young and old - excellent!
Mago (Mark)
Mar 16, 2012 Mago (Mark) rated it it was amazing
Thank you Stuart for a wonderful read.
As a 50yr old man, it is some time since I have cried tears of joy.
Linda Prather
Mar 21, 2012 Linda Prather rated it it was amazing
This author has a style that both amazed and delighted me.
Mo
Mar 23, 2012 Mo rated it really liked it
This is a sad gentle book about damaged people. Mental illness can hit us all but the people in this book have had traumatic events which disturbed them so much. It takes a special kind of person to verbalise the inner minds of the disturbed and Stuart manages this brilliantly.It was a pleasure to read.
Vic Heaney
Feb 17, 2012 Vic Heaney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another outstanding book by a brilliant new writer.

Keep your eyes on Stuart Ayris. He is going places.
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Aqeel Kadhem
Aqeel Kadhem rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2016
Fiona Lonsdale
Fiona Lonsdale rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2016
Kim Mortimer
Kim Mortimer marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Jan 12, 2016
Cate
Cate rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2015
Lammi Hearne-Sirman
Lammi Hearne-Sirman rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2015
Hossein
Hossein marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
Verne Lewis
Verne Lewis rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2015
Ed Hopkinson
Ed Hopkinson rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2015
Ruth Daly
Ruth Daly rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2015
emmilina
emmilina marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Sue1958
Sue1958 rated it it was ok
Feb 11, 2015
Don Zabriskie
Don Zabriskie marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
karenleigh
karenleigh marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Michele~
Michele~ rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I was born in the Summer of 1969 in Dagenham, just on the border of East London. School was largely unproductive so his early adult years were spent putting up stalls at Romford Market, working in a record shop, gardening and road sweeping.

After resigning from an insurance company to play in a band, I found myself unemployed for two years in the early nineties. It was during this time, at the age
More about Stuart Ayris...