A Cleansing of Souls

A Cleansing of Souls

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  11 reviews
"Tom Spanner is stuck in a mundane job and haunted by memories of his dead baby brother, Little Norman. Unable to deal with his loss, he leaves for Big Town.

Decades earlier, Michael Parrish wakes up in bed with his fourteen-year-old sister, Jennifer. He is seventeen years old. She is fourteen and dead. And he can't stop grinning.

When Tom makes his way to Big Town, these tw...more
Kindle Edition, 2
Published February 13th 2012 (first published August 1st 2007)

Louise
Darren Sant
A Cleansing Of Souls is an unusual novel. The setting is both grounded and real but also magical and ethereal. Ayris seems to possess a magic looking glass. He presents the reader with everyday situations and then shows the truth behind them. This draws you in and you find his insights FEEL right. Ayris deals with subjects such as loneliness, regret, unrequited love, mental illness with tenderness and indeed wisdom.

A book about never losing a moment of this precious thing we call life. Other aut...more
Emma (Em or Emz)
Wow! I have just put this book down and really don't know how to put in to words how I feel about it. It is probably one of the most powerful books I have ever read!
The author has an amazing way with words and I took my time with the book in order to savour it, I did not want to finish it. It was a very emotional read and is something that is going to stay with me for a very long time.
This is the second book I have read by Stuart Ayris and both are up there now with my all-time favourites.
Kate (sleepy kitten)
This book takes you on an emotional journey. I love Stuart Ayris' style of writing. The way in which he deals with socially challenging issues in both this book and Tollesbury Time Forever, in seemingly effortless ways makes me, as a social psychologist, want to take my hat off to him and bow at his feet. Simply wonderful.
Aunty Janet
The is a beautifully written account of loss and psychiatric breakdown. Painful to read at times, but always with gorgeous prose. You are drawn into the world of the characters and their distress, sometimes reaching a resolution, and sometimes not.
I heartily recommend this book, not for a comfortable read, but for a breathless literary experience.
Bev
Fabulous.... A truly compelling novel which I found myself lost in from beginning to end. Beautifully written, captivating and heartwarming. Stuart's style of writing makes you feel a part of the book, and you do not want the story to end. Another masterpiece from this brilliant author.
TonyQ
Again Stuart has delivered! The psychological stuff is not normally my thing but loved it again! Especially the connection with young and old - excellent!
Mago (Mark)
Thank you Stuart for a wonderful read.
As a 50yr old man, it is some time since I have cried tears of joy.
Linda Prather
This author has a style that both amazed and delighted me.
Mo
This is a sad gentle book about damaged people. Mental illness can hit us all but the people in this book have had traumatic events which disturbed them so much. It takes a special kind of person to verbalise the inner minds of the disturbed and Stuart manages this brilliantly.It was a pleasure to read.
Vic Heaney
Another outstanding book by a brilliant new writer.

Keep your eyes on Stuart Ayris. He is going places.
Fenia
Fenia marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Ellie Red
Ellie Red marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Eiain
Eiain marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Áine
Áine marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Bernie Morris
Bernie Morris marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Katrina Ambrozevich
Katrina Ambrozevich marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Cora
Cora marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2013
Fiona M.
Fiona M. marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2013
Laura Susan Johnson
Laura Susan Johnson marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2013
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
May 15, 2013
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
May 05, 2013
Roy Huff
Roy Huff marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2013
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2013
Edee Fallon
Edee Fallon marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
I was born in the Summer of 1969 in Dagenham, just on the border of East London. School was largely unproductive so his early adult years were spent putting up stalls at Romford Market, working in a record shop, gardening and road sweeping.

After resigning from an insurance company to play in a band, I found myself unemployed for two years in the early nineties. It was during this time, at the age...more
More about Stuart Ayris...
Tollesbury Time Forever The Bird That Nobody Sees (Frugality #2) I Woke Up This Morning (FRUGALITY: Book 3 Bighugs, Love and Beer The Buddhas of Borneo