The Doomsday Machine: A Further Astonishing Adventure of Horatio Lyle (Horatio Lyle, #3)

The Doomsday Machine: A Further Astonishing Adventure of Horatio Lyle (Horatio Lyle #3)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  12 reviews
There are many mysteries in this world that are yet to be resolved in 1865. Some of them, man was not meant to know. Scientist, inventor, and occasional sleuth, Horatio Lyle, is a man of science and a man of reason. As such, he does not care for themysterious sectknown as the Tseiqin and the strange, mystical enigma they represent. But when news reaches him of a plot to re...more
Published January 24th 2008 by Little, Brown Book Group

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingSwitch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu by Karen  PrinceCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
Best Children's Fantasy
266th out of 467 books — 708 voters
The Iron King by Julie KagawaShasta Summer by Teresa GeeringIllusions by Aprilynne PikeA Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba BrayThe Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa
Candles, Fae and Time-travel
118th out of 168 books — 46 voters

More lists with this book...

ChinaSparrow
I truly enjoyed this alternate history / fantasy / young adult series, and Horatio Lyle is now one of my new favourites. Lyle, a Darwin-era inventor, thinker, scientist and sometimes special constable, is called on by Her Majesty's agents to solve some mysterious goings on involving strange people with green eyes, magnets, machines and assorted other odd happenings.

I found the first few chapters awkward in their wording (especially the dialogue between Tess and Horatio), but after this Webb hits...more
Grace
This was one of the best books I have ever read!! Catherine Webb is a brilliant author whose skill at writing absolutly blew me away. I was hooked from the first sentence and quite literally couldn't put it down until I had read every last word. It's a tense, action filled read, complete with a good dose of humor, and plenty of complex scientific terminology that will leave you thinking 'wait what?'. The characters are unique with subtly crafted personalities, which is very refreshing when compa...more
Steve
It was a fairly enjoyable read, hence the '3 stars', but I think 'The Obsidian Dagger' was better.

The first chapter was a bit 'over descriptive', in that the use of verbs and adverbs was kind of 'over-done'. You know how Stephen King said 'The road to Hell is paved with adverbs'? Well, I found the level of description went on and on and on in the first chapter. I got the impression that the copy editor had said 'describe more of the feel of old London town, the smog, the buildings, etc.etc.'

But...more
Hannah
The Doomsday Machine benefited from a faster pace than the first book; it jumps right into the action, and we discover more about the Tseiqin. Old enemies return, new enemies are introduced, as well as new allies. Lin Zi is an amusing character, and her fondness for Lyle is rather adorable. It might be interesting if something develops between them in a subsequent novel.

Thomas is also a much better developed character than before, and he finally becomes more his own character than a simple sidek...more
Tyas
Horatio, the scientist cum sleuth is back with his third adventure, in which some shadowy figures are trying to build a machine that will destroy the Tseiqins in London once and for all. Although Horatio has a bitter relationship with the Tseiqins, now he has to decide whether he is cruel-hearted enough to let every one of them slain without mercy. And although Horatio thinks he doesn't really care about humanity, he has to face an experience in which all his morals and values are tested.

My favo...more
Bianca
This book goes along with it's successors wonderfully! Besed in England in the 1860's or so it is perrect. I learn new words! I learn a lot about of the culture too! I have learned more history as well. The touch of magic is wonderful because it is coombined with technology and science to be somewhat realistic! I believe that tess and thomas will be together considering the fact that they are getting older! Can't wait for the next one!
Liz Yardley
I like Webb's writing, although for a child, I can imagine this could get a bit dry in parts.
What I admire most is how Webb manages to teach scientific concepts in a way that draws the reader in. She writes simply and well. There are verbose moments that perhaps don't need to be, but the text absorbs these and the plot races on. Great characters. A meaty series for both boys and girls, equally.
Alex
This is my favourite of the Horatio Lyle novels so far. All the fabulous characters from previous books were there, plus a few brilliantly realised new ones. The idea of essentially a weapon of mass destruction being created to target a particular genetic code, as it where, is fascinating in its potential destructiveness and its worrying possibility.
Kimikimi
I think these books are actually getting better, if that's even possible. This one introduces the character of Lin, who I absolutely adore. I have to buy these.
Naomi
Another good story about Horatio Lyle and friends. The original one is still my favorite though.
Mereworth Bosh
great read if u like funny, sweet and unpredictable stories
Trish
I do like this series.
Derek Farrell
Derek Farrell marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Iliana Torres
Iliana Torres marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Samii Mcclout
Samii Mcclout marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Emily Davies
Emily Davies marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Prettyoddcurls
Prettyoddcurls marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Polly
Polly added it
May 23, 2014
Sylvia
Sylvia marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Fennybenny
Fennybenny is currently reading it
May 18, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Jennifer Varnadore
Jennifer Varnadore marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Catherine Webb also writes under the name Kate Griffin.
More about Catherine Webb...
The Extraordinary and Unusual Adventures of Horatio Lyle (Horatio Lyle, #1) Mirror Dreams Waywalkers The Obsidian Dagger: Being the Further Extraordinary Adventures of Horatio Lyle (Horatio Lyle, #2) Mirror Wakes