Start by marking “ABC for Book Collectors: Mercury Books [no 12]” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
ABC for Book Collector...

John Carter

ABC for Book Collectors: Mercury Books [no 12]

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  228 ratings  ·  21 reviews
John Carter's ABC for Book Collectors has long been established as the most enjoyable as well as the most informative reference book on the subject. Here, in over 450 alphabetical entries, ranging in length from a single line to several pages, may be found definition and analysis of the technical terms of book collecting and bibliography, interspersed with salutory comment ...more
JRTM: sewn on cords; rounded, glued, 'First Published in Mercury Books', 208 pages
Published 1961 by Mercury Books (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about ABC for Book Collectors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ABC for Book Collectors

Frankie
Containing a wealth of trivial-for-some-but-not-for-me information and terminology on book collecting, ABC... proved itself readable per sitting as well as a reference. I thought it (in 8th ed.) a bit expensive for its size (or format, ibid.), but it paid for itself when I saved $65 on a recent purchase of a translator-signed rarity. Descriptions of terms of condition, format (I always wondered what "8vo" meant), bindings, auction and cataloguers' lingo were succinct and easy to comprehend.

Cart
Sarah Fisher
So, it's basically a dictionary for rare books and the antiquarian book trade. But don't expect scholarly non-biased descriptions. They are scholarly. But the author has a slight air of snobbery which is thoroughly entertaining. He knows his stuff and isn't afraid to talk snootily of the book trade and its less savory aspects. Seriously, read a dictionary shouldn't be this enjoyable. Also, these "biased" descriptions offer lots of subtle insight into the book trade for newbies.
I learned I do not really want to be a book collector. I like reading books to much. Rare books often can't be read since that could damage them. I would rather read a reprint. But it was still really interesting reading about old, rare, expensive books and the people who collect them.
Torie
This one is from the advanced reading list for my class at Rare Book School in a few weeks. Yes, that's right, Rare Book School. As Lia said, "Is that real?" I love being a librarian.
Jen
Had to read this for a summer class on the history of the book. Written dictionary style it was a bit of a slog to get through, but it also had some dry British humor mixed in. The entry for "misprints" was actually hilarious. Useful if you plan on collecting old books.
Rachel
a must for book collectors and would-be collectors
Elizabeth
I've no doubt that this is an indispensable reference book, but it is far less witty than the collector's accounts of it I've heard led me to believe. The most whimsical element is how it labels the material elements of the book itself (endpapers, verso, recto, etc.) in order to provide real evidence of definitions.
Natalie
This was a required textbook for one of my library school classes. I still use it today. It explains parts of a book and is so helpful in understanding the book printing process of the past and present.
ACRL
Oct 04, 2010 ACRL added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: motw
Read by ACRL Member of the Week Simona Tabacaru. Learn more about Simona on the ACRL Insider blog.
Kaitlin
This book is excellent to refer to, but it's too much like a dictionary for me to read cover-to-cover.
Misty Wright
Very useful for book collectors or catalogers. Everything you ever wanted to know about books, as far as structure, printing, publishing, etc....
Jen
"Ham-fisted layman" beware! An essential primer put together in dictionary-style which is often surprisingly amusing to read.
Lynne
Key book for anyone interested in book collecting. A great glossary with a sense of humor.
Meen
Since I love collecting them so much, I guess I should learn what the hell I'm doing... :)
Odile
Super handy, if slightly outdated by all the information available on the interwebz.
Kelly
It is a dictionary but the author has a terrific, quirky sense of humor.
Dan Mccormack
Great reference work on the language of books and book collecting.
brian tanabe
One of a handful of invaluable primers for book collectors.
Keith Miller
ABC for Book Collectors by John Carter (2004)
Meridith
A classic for anyone interested in collecting.
John
nonfiction,history,bibliography
E
E marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Matthew
Matthew is currently reading it
Jan 20, 2015
Elise
Elise marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
  • A New Introduction to Bibliography
  • Among the Gently Mad: Strategies and Perspectives for the Book-Hunter in the 21st Century
  • Slightly Chipped: Footnotes in Booklore
  • Library: An Unquiet History
  • Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction
  • At Home with Books: How Booklovers Live with and Care for Their Libraries
  • A Short History of the Printed Word
  • The Book of Lost Books: An Incomplete History of All the Great Books You'll Never Read
  • The Book in the Renaissance
  • The Book on the Bookshelf
  • Libraries
  • Old Books, Rare Friends: Two Literary Sleuths and Their Shared Passion
Sex and Rockets: The Occult World of Jack Parsons Virology: Principles and Applications Last Judgement Taste & Technique in Book Collecting Innovate Products Faster