Start by marking “ABC for Book Collectors: Mercury Books [no 12]” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
ABC for Book Collector...

John Carter

ABC for Book Collectors: Mercury Books [no 12]

John Carter's ABC for Book Collectors has long been established as the most enjoyable as well as the most informative reference book on the subject. Here, in over 450 alphabetical entries, ranging in length from a single line to several pages, may be found definition and analysis of the technical terms of book collecting and bibliography, interspersed with salutory comment ...more
JRTM: sewn on cords; rounded, glued, 'First Published in Mercury Books', 208 pages
Published 1961 by Mercury Books (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about ABC for Book Collectors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ABC for Book Collectors

Frankie
Feb 11, 2009 Frankie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Containing a wealth of trivial-for-some-but-not-for-me information and terminology on book collecting, ABC... proved itself readable per sitting as well as a reference. I thought it (in 8th ed.) a bit expensive for its size (or format, ibid.), but it paid for itself when I saved $65 on a recent purchase of a translator-signed rarity. Descriptions of terms of condition, format (I always wondered what "8vo" meant), bindings, auction and cataloguers' lingo were succinct and easy to comprehend.

Cart
Sarah Fisher
Dec 18, 2009 Sarah Fisher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, it's basically a dictionary for rare books and the antiquarian book trade. But don't expect scholarly non-biased descriptions. They are scholarly. But the author has a slight air of snobbery which is thoroughly entertaining. He knows his stuff and isn't afraid to talk snootily of the book trade and its less savory aspects. Seriously, read a dictionary shouldn't be this enjoyable. Also, these "biased" descriptions offer lots of subtle insight into the book trade for newbies.
Aug 12, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned I do not really want to be a book collector. I like reading books to much. Rare books often can't be read since that could damage them. I would rather read a reprint. But it was still really interesting reading about old, rare, expensive books and the people who collect them.
Torie
This one is from the advanced reading list for my class at Rare Book School in a few weeks. Yes, that's right, Rare Book School. As Lia said, "Is that real?" I love being a librarian.
Elizabeth
Aug 23, 2011 Elizabeth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I've no doubt that this is an indispensable reference book, but it is far less witty than the collector's accounts of it I've heard led me to believe. The most whimsical element is how it labels the material elements of the book itself (endpapers, verso, recto, etc.) in order to provide real evidence of definitions.
Jen
Jul 13, 2014 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-school
Had to read this for a summer class on the history of the book. Written dictionary style it was a bit of a slog to get through, but it also had some dry British humor mixed in. The entry for "misprints" was actually hilarious. Useful if you plan on collecting old books.
Natalie
Sep 14, 2008 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a required textbook for one of my library school classes. I still use it today. It explains parts of a book and is so helpful in understanding the book printing process of the past and present.
Jen
Aug 12, 2008 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Ham-fisted layman" beware! An essential primer put together in dictionary-style which is often surprisingly amusing to read.
Misty Wright
Very useful for book collectors or catalogers. Everything you ever wanted to know about books, as far as structure, printing, publishing, etc....
ACRL
Oct 04, 2010 ACRL added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: motw
Read by ACRL Member of the Week Simona Tabacaru. Learn more about Simona on the ACRL Insider blog.
K.N.
Jan 12, 2016 K.N. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-shelf, bookbarn, 1950s
This book is excellent to refer to, but it's too much like a dictionary for me to read cover-to-cover.
Stephanie
This book is the best book about books out there. Defines every term I need as an archivist for my not-specialized work with books.
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2010
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2011
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2010
Ted
Ted rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Matt Moore
Matt Moore rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2016
nicole
nicole rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2010
Veronica
Veronica rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2014
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2014
Maura Letendre
Maura Letendre rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2015
Audreyjackson
Audreyjackson rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2013
James Sass
James Sass rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2014
Carolle
Carolle rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2013
Megan Winget
Megan Winget rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2008
Replicate
Replicate rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2014
Elin Williams
Elin Williams rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2012
Aaron
Aaron rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2009
Megan Bell
Megan Bell rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2015
Sheryl
Extraordinary helpful mass of info for any lover of books, collector or not.
  • A New Introduction to Bibliography
  • Among the Gently Mad: Strategies and Perspectives for the Book-Hunter in the 21st Century
  • Libraries in the Ancient World
  • A Short History of the Printed Word
  • The Book in the Renaissance
  • The Book History Reader
  • At Home with Books: How Booklovers Live with and Care for Their Libraries
  • A Universal History of the Destruction of Books: From Ancient Sumer to Modern-Day Iraq
  • The Book on the Bookshelf