The Art of Being Unreasonable: Lessons in Unconventional Thinking

The Art of Being Unreasonable: Lessons in Unconventional Thinking

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Unorthodox success principles from a billionaire entrepreneur and philanthropist
Eli Broad's embrace of "unreasonable thinking" has helped him build two Fortune 500 companies, amass personal billions, and use his wealth to create a new approach to philanthropy. He has helped to fund scientific research institutes, K-12 education reform, and some of the world's greatest cont...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Wiley (first published April 13th 2012)

ranjit mathoda
This is the best business book I have read in the last year. Perhaps that's because he thinks very similarly to the way I do :)

Here are specific ideas I took from the book (by no means an exhaustive list):

"It doesn't matter if you are first or second mover. The critical issue is do you keep innovating? Innovation doesn't mean creating from thin air. It may mean noticing and copying first movers."
"The earlier you start taking risks, the more comfortable you will become with them."
"People want to...more
Matt
Full disclosure: this book was written by Broad with my friend Swati Pandey, so I'm hardly a neutral observer.
That said, I found the book an enjoyable and well-constructed story of Broad's varied career. This type of book is not normally one I read, but Broad has done work in a lot of different areas and he and Swati do a good job of organizing what he has learned into some key life lessons.
Christopher Lewis Kozoriz
"Who you spend your life with-much more so than how you choose to spend it-is the most important decision you can make. Do it right. That's the best advice I can give you." ~ Eli Broadi

Currently the 189th richest person in the world according to Forbes.

In his book he shares how he became a billionaire and the lessons of success and failure.

The title of the book, "The Art of Being Unreasonable" comes from a quote his wife gave him for his desk from Bernard Shaw, "The reasonable man adapts himsel...more
Mishna Wolff
I don't usually like books like this and now with all the hullabaloo about MOCHA it seems he may be the 800 pound gorilla. I also think he made tons of really ugly houses -- but, hey, people gotta live somewhere. Everyone can't live in a built to last turn of the century home. And maybe that's why he's so obsessed with art and architecture today.

That being said, I downloaded this for my husband and wound up reading the whole thing myself. He still hasn't even read it. And he's a charming storyt...more
Roy Klein
I got to about 50% when I realized that the book contains no more useful information. It's not a bad book, but it's a misleading one. While it is dressed as a sort of business oriented decision making adviser, it's actually a biography with sprinkles of simplistic, retrospective do's and don'ts.

If you're looking for a non-life changing, but an interesting and short-term inspirational life story, this is the exact effect I got from the book. At around 50% it stopped being inspirational and grew...more
Walterfgreen
I disagree with much of his advice and I couldn't relate to many of the stories told.
Kyle
Great to hear more insight from my mentor and business school founder at Michigan State Business School! Very thoughtfully laid out book with wisdoms on many areas of life and business. Quick and easy read for all ages. Amazing what success in this world can allow you to do both for the economy and as a philanthropic leader. He is a true version of a life well lived!
Anastasia
It's a good book, but I wish he talked more about The Broad Institute, Eric Lander & the big picture of science funding.
David DeBacco
I've always admired Mr. Broad for his passion for art and his generous want to share with the community. It's always enjoyable and informative to read about the journey successful people take in life. My goal is not to be a billionaire, but I guess it doesn't suck! The book gives Broad's mantra - never give up, if it's something you believe in.
Gamaleldin Soliman
"reasonable" people come up with all the reasons something new and different can't be done, because, after all, no one else has done it that way. This book shares the "unreasonable" principles—from negotiating to risk-taking, from investing to hiring—that have made Eli Broad such a success.
Kevin Watt
A very quick read on Eli Broad, a man who amassed massive amounts of money and then power. But, the book never gives up any specific detail on how he really accomplished it. The book reads more like a pat on the back for being a good business man and doing things his way.
Xavier Shay
Generally inspiring but didn't take anything novel out of it.

I'm more interested in a philosophy that supports splashing $23M on a piece of contemporary art, which he doesn't dive into in any satisfactory depth.
Joseph
Modesty is not at the top of this authors list. There is good advice in the first couple of chapters and he has been incredibly successful. but after chapter 4 its just bragging.
Christopher Rising

It was a solid book, interesting for Los Angelenos. It lacked graciousness but had some more revealing chapters at the end, I liked it.
Arun ks
"If not lived, sure you can't say honestly I lived " - I am not the one who would disagree Eli Broad Lived.
Dustin
Interesting combo of a memoir and sharing advice from a driven businessman's life.
Big O
This guy pulls no punches. Very cool. VERY refreshing.
Michael D
Michael D marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Mike Canzone
Mike Canzone marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
  • Poor Charlie's Almanack: The Wit and Wisdom of Charles T. Munger
  • Startup Communities: Building an Entrepreneurial Ecosystem in Your City
  • Reinventing Fire: Bold Business Solutions for the New Energy Era
  • What Does China Think?
  • Smallpox: The Death of a Disease: The Inside Story of Eradicating a Worldwide Killer
  • How: Why How We Do Anything Means Everything... in Business (and in Life)
  • Democratizing Innovation
  • The Great Reset: How New Ways of Living and Working Drive Post-Crash Prosperity
  • World on the Edge: How to Prevent Environmental and Economic Collapse
  • The Plundered Planet: Why We Must--And How We Can--Manage Nature for Global Prosperity
  • Creating Innovators: The Making of Young People Who Will Change the World