Start by marking “Wicked Hungry” as Want to Read:
Wicked Hungry

Wicked Hungry

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  253 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Stanley Hoff has it hard. His overprotective mom thinks she's a witch who can see people's auras; Stanley himself is getting hairier by the minute, his teeth ache, and the moon above him makes him want to howl and growl.

But things are not going to get any easier.

After a confrontation with a high school bully brings unwanted fame, Stanley's childhood crush Meredith invites
Kindle Edition, 1 edition, 222 pages
Published February 5th 2012 by Wicked Evil Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Wicked Hungry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wicked Hungry

Cinder by Marissa MeyerScarlet by Marissa MeyerThe Boy Who Played With Dark Matter by Holy Ghost WriterThe Dark Realm by Anthea SharpFairytales for Wilde Girls by Allyse Near
Futuristic Fairy Tales
8th out of 19 books — 7 voters
The Mating by Nicky CharlesDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëCutters vs. Jocks by Elizabeth Marx
Best Free eBooks
410th out of 543 books — 1,150 voters

More lists with this book...

Mallory Heart Reviews
Feb 12, 2012 Mallory Heart Reviews rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Paranormal, Vampire, Werewolf, other shifter, Urban fantasy
What an utterly intriguing YA novel! Riveting-layer upon layer of secrets and unspooling revelations-characters with depth-paranormal auras and overtones throughout-the author teasing the reader gently with one secret after another, like being tickled with a feather. You know you love it, you know you’ve gotta read more:).

Protagonist Stanley at fourteen suffers with the knee damage caused during a night-time run on the beach. He is strongly affected by the phases of the Moon-especially waxing an
Jason
This book is meant for clueless fantasy readers.

This book is meant for clueless fantasy readers.

the premise of the story was decent but e very main character was completely clueless about everything. Stanley lives in a Wicca family meaning he already knows witches exist. but he can't figure out what he is or who at any of his friends are becoming. the target audience for this book has to be for 8-12 yr olds. I don't think that vampires zombies were-wolf/cat witches face or any other being in thi
S.C.Poe
The author's own description says this is a paranormal romp, a tongue-in-cheek riff on all the tortured themes and memes common in contemporary YA paranormals. (Why is Stanley, a lifelong vegetarian, suddenly salivating over red meat? Is Stan's best friend's girl actually hitting on Stan? And can things ever work out between a girl who's allergic to the sun and a guy whose teeth ache when the moon is full?)

The sample reminded me (in good ways) of M.T. Anderson's Thirsty.

But the book as a whole w
Kimm Reilly
Awesome play on fairy tales. Can you remain best friends if you're a werewolve, a were-panther and a were-fox, and your girl friends a vampire?
Yet you were all normal kids yesterday? A group of teens must save their town from, a rouge Seelie fairy, all while trying not to eat their brothers cat. Hysterically and yet completely serious, it's a good metaphor for going through puberty and an awesome story about things that go bump in the night. Hope teddy Jacobs writes more in this series!
Kristy Dean
Very good story. This is a good story for teens. The story is about three teen boys that are friends. All are not popular kids. The kids in the town start taking a vitamin supplement to help them and recover that they are all turning into were people, zombies, or vampires. The boys have to figure out how to solve the issues and end all the problems. Has a sad ending but allows for the the next events to happen. KKD
Bobby newman
The reader follows Stanley as he comes about discovering his gift by taking supplements. His friends are also were folk of different kinds. He a young teenager who lives in a town that is paranormal in essence. The book is fast paced not giving readers a chance to rest. The only reason I give it four stars is due to some minor editing problems. Other than that I want to read the next book to happen next.
Lori
Received this book (Wattpad) in return for a honest review.

I loved Stanley first and foremost and enjoyed the story line between him and Karen. The friendship between Stanley, Enrique and Jonathan shows that true friends do exist and if you stick together you defy all odds. This is the first book that I read by this author, but it won't be my last. :)
Ajoni
where is the sequel to this book?
Abria Mattina
This book was a bit of a letdown for me because it started out so strong but got wildly out of hand by the halfway mark. Wicked Hungry is the story of Stanley, the fifteen-year-old son of Unitarian vegetarian parents. When Alex and his friends begin to take "vitamins" given to them by a friend at school, their inner supernatural beings emerge. Alex becomes a werewolf--not an easy thing for a kid who was raised vegetarian.

Initially I liked Wicked Hungry for its snappy dialogue and believable char
Jessirae
Apr 03, 2012 Jessirae added it
Shelves: dnf, ebooks, for-review
The blurb is quite interesting and immediately catches your attention. The storyline is intriguing and quite unique in of itself. The paranormal aspects of this book are different and unlike any paranormal book I've read to date.

Unfortunately, I could not finish this book. As much as I wanted to love this book, I couldn't seem to connect with the characters, nor could I related to them. Not to say they were not well developed, because they were. The characters are distinct and each have a wonde
Krista (CubicleBlindness Reviews)

With a mystery at it's heart. What is going on in this town?
There were several different beings from faeries, werewolves, witches, zombies, ghouls ect. There are a lot of teenagers in this town starting to turn recently and as each human is different, they all turn into different things. I felt that too much focus was put on aspect of the story that normally authors would gloss over, like in the beginning chapters and his focus on the hamburger, his desire to eat meat. Instead of just being men
Melanie
3.5*s
I liked this book in the beginning, it was a little quirky and I was unsure of where it was going to go but once It got started it got really good and I really liked it so I gave it 3.5*s to even it out. Obviously it’s the first book and there is a lot to get into it with the introductions of all the characters, plotline, cliques and relationships etc. so that always bogs it down a bit but once that was out of the way we were flying. Unfortunately a downfall of a short novel is that we can’
Wendy
2.5 stars.

The book started out OK, with an interesting take on the werewolf/vampire mythology. It becomes a bit confused later on when they introduce every kind of paranormal creature under the sun (and moon), when I think that they should have been introduced more slowly over the course of several books (or just not included in this world at all). Many monsters weren't really given much explanation (e.g. I don't really know the difference between zombies and ghouls here, except that ghouls seem
Noor Jahangir
Wicked Hungry is about a boy (Stanley) coming to terms with a sport's injury that has taken away his ability to compete as a runner. The need to run gets worse as full moon draws near and a terrible gnawing hunger that his vegan diet can never satiate has him salivating over forbidden BK Whoppers. Then a former best-friend offers him a wonder cure made from completely natural sources that promises to fix his knee and allow him to run again. The pill works as promised, but the craving for meat an ...more
Jenie
Carol Bosselman
Started off great, very engaging and amusing, knowing what they were all turning into before they did, but as it picked up speed, it got muddied and confused. Too much was thrown in, and the effort to throw too much knowledge at once turned it into a puzzle that I stopped caring about. And as one other reviewer mentioned, with a witch for a mother, the main character really should have had more of a clue... but again, early on, that's what made it so entertaining.
Tabitha Ormiston-Smith
This book has everything. Teenage werewolves. Vampires. Ghouls. Zombies. Fairies (both seelie and un). Demons. Elder Gods. Communicating with the dead. A kitsune. A gateway to another world that can be opened by a dire sacrifice. Rescuing a Kitten. Even my personal favourite, an ancient evil stirring beneath a mountain. And - just for a surprise at the end - a fateful choice implemented by a blue pill and a red pill!

I wish the author in future books would lose his pretentious use of the present
K.M. Carroll
This was a fun book. I've seen it on Amazon and Smashwords top seller lists, so when I found it on Wattpad, I gave it a shot.

While I'm not a fan of first person present tense, the story sucked me in anyway. Stanley's family are hippie vegan Wiccans, and eating meat is a sin...so why is he craving Burger King? Soon he's dropping some hard Slim Jims.

But things really go nuts when he and his friends start taking 'vitamins' that turn them into werebeasts. Then things really start getting out of cont
Hana Younis
That was from my top most best books I have ever read I swear I'm literally crying now
Maria D
I think this might make a good junior high school level read. I found the beginning slow and awkward. I did not like the typoes nor the grammatical speech errors in the story. However, I think the author does a good job with the juvenile-level suspense. I also liked that the author uses the Unitarian Church as a thread in this story to explain how different people come together (in real life, I found the weave of different faiths interesting in this church, and found the need for sub-groups curi ...more
Christine
This started out with so much promise...and then got to be too much in the middle. I liked Stanley well enough, but the rest of the characters were kind of just ... Blips. If it had been slowed down, maybe? I feel like including the fae at all was too much to be honest.
I wish it had been more about him learning to cope with being a werewolf, or more about the pain he felt on the full moon. As it was, it seems...like...he got a hang of being a werewolf too fast.
I wanted it to be more like teen wo
Emaleth Morrigan
Well, that was fun! Except for the ending.lol I'm giving this four stars because it started out slow and I wasn't really impressed with the beginning dialogue. I couldn't care less what vegans think, all trivial to me but it did pick up once they all started taking the pill, and I haven't let it down since. I loved the camaraderie among the three boys and Jonathan is a hoot! I knew Ylvis was on to something when they made that "What Does the Fox Say?" music video.haha Looking forward to the next ...more
Heidi Karriker
This book was hard to rate. I wanted to like it more but I found myself skimming to try and get to better parts, and there were times I wanted to stop reading all together. I just couldn't connect with the characters in the story until it was almost over. It was more of a 2.5 then a 3 since it was a little better then ok but I did not full on like it.
Meryst
Too contrived. It was one giant cliche, and other than the pill concept it felt like the author was trying too hard. I think every gentre was hit: Vampires, ghouls, zombies, and the seelie courts! Oh and the demons came along as well. I think there was an appearance of the Ghostbusters too.
Helen May
A very fun and entertaining book. Werewolf, zombies, witches and vampires add a lot of spice to the mix. And faeries and demons, gateways to another realm, you have a lot going on.
Kat
This is the first book by this author I've read and I was impressed, I'm hoping he does a sequel. Unexpected action with some "wicked twists". Not what I expected and I got a lot more then I had hoped for. Good reading.
Sarika
I really don't know why this book was published. It is truly terrible. I should have listened to all the people warning me not to read this book. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT read this book!
Jessica
I absolutely loved this book. It's an incredible story. I highly recommend it for teenagers. I would love to read a sequel to it.
Cheryl Duval
This book was just not for me but I think that teenagers would enjoy this story.
Rachel
Dec 31, 2013 Rachel marked it as owned-to-read  ·  review of another edition
*downloaded free from Smashwords
  • A Spell Cast Volume One (Seven Spell stories, #1)
  • The Beast Within (The Elite, #1)
  • Prophecy of the Female Warrior (Nephilim Warriors, #1)
  • Alone (Vampires and the Life of Erin Rose, #1)
  • A Month with Werewolves
  • Dark Revelation
  • Blood Awakening (Blood Burden, #0.5)
  • Cameron's Law (Adelheid, #1)
  • Vrin: Ten Mortal Gods
  • Growl
  • My Soul to Keep (Rise of the Fallen, #1)
  • Amy's Story (Fang Chronicles, #1)
  • Dark Matter Heart (Cor Griffin Bloodsuckers, #1)
  • Vampire in Distress (Family Blood Ties, #2)
  • The Wolf Ring (Wolf Ring, #1)
  • Bloodstorm (Heart of a Vampire, #1)
  • Into the Vampire City (The Human Revolt)
  • Immortal Wounds
Sword Bearer (Return of the Dragons, #1) Wind Rider (Return of the Dragons #2) Return of the Dragons (Omnibus #1-2) Return of the Dragons (Omnibus)