Start by marking “Always Hit On The Wingman...and 9 Other Secret Rules for Getting the Love Life You Want” as Want to Read:

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Published 2012

Be the first to ask a question about Always Hit On The Wingman...and 9 Other Secret Rules for Getting the Love Life You Want

Generally I judge dating advice texts not by their putative results but by how they leave you feeling about yourself, and grading on that scale Always Hit on the Wingman is a winner. The psuedonymous Jake, one of many in a long line of men to pen advice to women reading Glamour, is all about the girl power. (One suspects this has just as much to do with his having recently fathered a daughter as his professed long-standing love of women.) Overall, Always may feel a bit He's Just Not That Into Yo ...more
Cara
Saw this in new non-fiction and couldn't resist. It's Jake (the male perspective columnist for Glamour)'s take on how women can get what we want in relationships--both getting the great guy and keeping the romance alive over the long haul.

Basically, the answer is be strong and love yourself, and the right guy for you will be mad for you. Even if not, you'll be too busy living your awesome life to mind too much.

For those of us who aren't quite there, he also offers some suggestions for treating
Colleen Wainwright
Written by one of the many Jakes of Glamour's famed "Ask Jake" advice column, this book, like most of the other good titles in the genre, contains no real secrets and is not really about addressing your love life—except, of course, as regards loving one's very own self, with tenderness, vigor, and wholeheartedness.

But this is a very good addition to the canon, crappy title notwithstanding. (And, it should be noted, that the crappy title is pulled from Rule #1, which was also the only chapter th
Drake
It's a decent book and I'd recommend it to my single girlfriends....and....there's a special bonus section called, "jake decodes what guys ate thinking...men's secret dating language". You can't beat that, ladies. Yes, it is generalizations....but if you're working the dating scene anyway, why not have a few new tricks up your sleeve.
Hanna
Need a self-esteem boost? Tired of hearing the "He's Just Not That Into You" line? Then you're probably ready for this.

Quick read, little insightful at times and loved the Jake from the past reunions and seeing how their lives turned out.

It's too bad we just can't go and clone Jake already.
Kori
Shut up.
Mira Domsky
Okay, so I didn't read the whole thing, but I skimmed through most of it... Did I learn anything new? Yes, I did. So, goal accomplished?
susieqlaw
I have been a loyal Glamour reader for years. Jake's column in Glamour has always had helpful advice and provided the insight every woman wants to know...the male perspective. So, on my quest to figure out relationships, I must highly recommend Jake's book.

Having the book in Kindle format is handy! Jake has provided an active table of contents. Also, the introduction is written by none other than the Editor-in-Chief of Glamour!

Secretly, I wonder if the cover is orange in honor of the current Jak
Amanda
Best written self-help book on dating, hands down!

The author, Jake, gave a lot of helpful tips and tricks that I would never have even thought of on my own as something that could work in the dating scene. He also wrote in a such a lighthearted and authentic way that there were points in the book where I laughed out loud, and points in the book where I clutched my heart and nodded.

If you are looking for another self-help dating book to line your shelves after this one...then think again, becaus
Ursula
I actually really liked this book. I've read dating/relationship books before & they tend to be really cheesy or hard to relate to but this one was really good. The author is a really good writer, seems to be quite intelligent and has some unique things to say about men & women & the nature of relationships & dating. I actually learned some good stuff from it. And was able to apply some of the advice to my business. Funny.
Macaela
This is an excellent book. I recommend it to anyone who is dating or even in a relationship. He gives tips about how to figure out which type of guy you're dating, but also which ones to avoid. The first section is the basics on dating, but the biggest point of the book is finding your own inner strength and then finding the guy that fits you.
Michele
I've seen Jake's column in Glamour over the years and didn't realized how well guarded his (the columnist at the time) identity is. Interesting tips: some are obvious, while others I forget when dating. Simple, to the point advice mixed with real life scenarios enhance Jake's lessons.
Kathryn Jones
This is a self help book about finding the right guy for you and how to keep him. It is a collection of letters to Jake, the male columnist for Glamour magazine. Jake takes the the questions asked by real women and gives them advice from a male perspective. Every women should read it.
Robin Geary
Interesting Perpectives.
Chelsea
Overall, a really good read. The confidence advice was more insightful and helpful than I thought it would be. As far as self-help books go, this was interesting and never boring. I would definitely recommend it to any of my friends.
Cara
This book was classic in many ways, encouraging and fun. It reminded me of some things that I needed to hear and while I didn't agree with all of it, I felt that there was enough collective wisdom to make it worth a read.
Ellen
This might just be the dumbest book Ive ever read. I read it for book club tho so it is a winner in that sense! Really ridiculous tho, I couldve definitely written a better book on dating.
Sarah Shrimplin
A valentine's day gift from my single friend... I decided not to read too much into the gift (i.e. thanks buddy for thinking I need the help!) and decided at least he is looking out for me :)
Tonya
I went to the library to pick up my book on hold (though it wasn't there) and had a chance to browse. I saw this book and thought it would be a light read; surprisingly good!
Camden

This book was not very relevant to Christian daters since so much of it was about sex. I could've summed it up in 2 rules: be confident and be yourself.
Raquel
This was written by my favorite Jake columnist from Glamour magazine. I love the way he writes and speaks to women. Great tips
Rebecca
Haha yes, I actually read something titled, "always hit on the wingman." Cute and entertaining book by a Glamour columnist.
Niki
The title of this book is Always Hit on the Wingman: ...and 9 Other Secret Rules for Getting the Love Life You Want.
Kristin
I found most of the information very helpful. Some of it dragged on. The "meat" was worth the read!
Kim
Fun, quick read. Good advice.
Cathy
Funny smart advice.
Kee
great book.
  • Why You're Not Married . . . Yet: The Straight Talk You Need to Get the Relationship You Deserve
  • Envy
  • If I'm So Wonderful, Why Am I Still Single?: Ten Strategies That Will Change Your Love Life Forever
  • Your Best Year Yet!: Ten Questions for Making the Next Twelve Months Your Most Successful Ever
  • Modern Love: 50 True and Extraordinary Tales of Desire, Deceit, and Devotion
  • The Roots of Buddhist Psychology
  • Fidelity: How to Create a Loving Relationship That Lasts
  • The Law of Divine Compensation: On Work, Money, and Miracles
  • How to Be an Adult: A Handbook for Psychological and Spiritual Integration
  • Frumpy to Fabulous: Flaunting It. Your Ultimate Guide to Effortless Style
  • Urban Gardening: How To Grow Food In Any City Apartment Or Yard No Matter How Small
  • The Joy of Doing Things Badly: A Girl's Guide to Love, Life and Foolish Bravery
  • Getting Things Done
  • 19 Lessons On Tea
  • I Just Hope It's Lethal: Poems of Sadness, Madness, and Joy
  • The Hour That Matters Most: The Surprising Power of the Family Meal
  • Make More, Worry Less: Secrets from 18 Extraordinary People Who Created a Bigger Income and a Better Life
  • Work, Sex, Money: Real Life on the Path of Mindfulness
The Mammoth Book of Street Art Always Hit on the Wingman: Preview The Book of Mengel (The DruidCycle) Stop Giving A Fuck - The Ultimate Goal Jake & Ted's Pick-Up Lines That Will Never Work