Start by marking “As You Think” as Want to Read:
As You Think

As You Think

In 1904, a little-known Englishman named James Allen wrote a small book called As a Man Thinketh. A hundred years later, this book has become a self-empowerment classic. New World Library author and publisher Marc Allen updated this timeless gem, recasting obsolete language and polishing the author's message to highlight the universal principles of the original. James Alle ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 112 pages
Published April 15th 1998 by New World Library (first published August 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about As You Think, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As You Think

Arun
May 18, 2013 Arun rated it it was amazing
One of those books that you can keep as a possession. Short and precise, you can finish it in 2-3 hours but need constant contemplation for the real benefit. There are many good books in market which contain the same message but this book seems quite like something pious written in 1904.
Here it ends with this:
Tempest-tossed souls, wherever you may be, under whatever conditions you may live, know this:
"In the ocean of life the isles of blessedness are smiling, and the sunny shore of your ideal a
Tommy Powell
Since about 1980 -when I was a young knucklehead at Texas Tech- I've kept Kahlil Gibran's "The Prophet" on my nightstand. There is no better companion on sleepless nights, or at the end of difficult days. Now I will be keeping a copy of James Allen's "As You Think" right next to it.

Quiet, and simply expressed, this edition of "As a Man Thinketh" (produced by Allen's great grandson) is a requisite touchstone for introspection and occassional re-centering.

The Prophet almost always moves me to tea
Anthony Haden
Jun 14, 2007 Anthony Haden rated it it was amazing
This is a manual for life. I suggest keeping this on you at all times.
Lynn Bonelli
Dec 19, 2011 Lynn Bonelli rated it it was amazing
A must read self-empowerment book. No magic here...just the ultimate truth that "all we achieve and all that we fail to achieve is the direct result of our own thoughts". Definitely a book to revisit often.
Linda
Mar 16, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing
It's one of the greatest books I have ever read about the Law of Attraction. It's a fabulous book, I highly advice to read!
Jeff Morgan
Powerful life strategies. Great road map for life. I plan to pass it on to a new high school grad in my family.
Javad Khodadadi
Jul 02, 2014 Javad Khodadadi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
کتاب گویای «توهمانی که میاندیشی» را گوش دادم. بجز اعصاب خورد کردن هیچ چیزی نداشت! گوینده حتی یک بار کتاب رو نخونده بود همش تپق میزد و روی سادهترین جملات هم چندین بار جمله خودشو تکرار میکرد! خیلی سعی کردم این ایراد رو نادیده بگیرم ببینم کتاب چی میگه که اون هم چیز جدیدی برای گفتن نداشت! ...more
Lionkhan-sama
Jul 04, 2014 Lionkhan-sama rated it it was amazing
An extremely small book, some may even call it something of a booklet.
However, the power within this book cannot be overlooked.

An intricate swim in the waters of human thought, and how one might build his own boat to travel upon these waters masterfully, and one day conquer them.
A beautiful inspiration, poetically explaining to people the very simple principles of life and achievements, through the mystic oracles of thoughts.

A highly recommended read, re-read and re-re-read. =)
EagerLearner
Aug 16, 2015 EagerLearner rated it it was amazing
It is a very thin book which deceives us in thinking that it can be read very fast. But every sentence in it is so deep that you cannot help but read and wonder how true it is for your own life. Every sentence has a lesson which you can learn and then realize how wrong you have been thinking, acting and living your life.

It tells you the mantra of a successful life in the simplest manner possible.
Krishna
Sep 03, 2014 Krishna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"AS YOU THINK" is the best ever SELF EMPOWERMENT guide. Every one must read this book, it is a good guide for success. This book has SEVEN principles for the successful life, Keep this book with you always, pick any principle and read. you will feel energized.

Its Very small, Handy and Great book to READ............
Marty Ritz
Aug 16, 2012 Marty Ritz rated it it was amazing
This book is worth memorizing word for word. It's wisdom is concise, compact and applicable for every occation....I mean, when are we ever not thinking? Think better, act better, get better results. Change your inner experience, change your life.
Ambika Rani
Dec 07, 2015 Ambika Rani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Ambika by: Robin Sharma
Shelves: self-help
#1 Inspirational Book which you can keep reading over and over again.

Gives a fresh perspective on what thoughts can actually do in our lives.

A must read for all those who crave for peaceful life in this fast paced world.
Steve
An excellent update of the famous "As a Man Thinketh" which has greatly benefited from the light touch of editing for modern readers. Read in parallel with the original.

Small, simple, powerful book - recommended!
Jon P.
Jan 05, 2014 Jon P. rated it it was amazing
I believe I will read this book several times. It was concise and packed with wisdom. It is a great read and I highly recommend reading this book. It's a quick read, and well worth your time.
Michael Nazari
Jan 24, 2016 Michael Nazari rated it liked it
Self improvement booklet about how our thoughts dictate our actions. It can be summed up in one quote (one of which I'm not sure is even in the reading): As you think, you become.
Salim
Dec 26, 2014 Salim rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no
John Doyle
Apr 19, 2015 John Doyle rated it did not like it
Shelves: philosophy
Mind over matter. Think positively. Sacrifice much to achieve much. Be calm. Repeat for 90 pages. Publish. Easily the worst book I've read this year.
Lee Yen
Really great book to help you clear your mind of clutter and chaos around you.

This shall be my go to book and I will read it at least twice a month!

Mayank Pandya
May 29, 2015 Mayank Pandya rated it liked it
This book is very short & precise. It explains how your thinking affect your lifestyle. Nice read.
Chandrashekar
Mar 26, 2015 Chandrashekar rated it it was amazing
Definitely IT IS "As you think". Will get back to it again anytime but many more times.
Amith Guthi
Jun 27, 2014 Amith Guthi rated it really liked it
One book that you'd love to come back to in the near future & repeat !
Jen
Mar 22, 2014 Jen rated it it was amazing
A book for my nightstand. Definitely will reread and refer to this book often.
Bharath Chowdary
Jan 13, 2016 Bharath Chowdary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very small and good book about thinking positively
Suresh Prajapati
Aug 17, 2014 Suresh Prajapati rated it really liked it
Can read it again and again :)
Katy
Feb 14, 2016 Katy rated it it was amazing
A classic!
Vishnu
Jul 22, 2016 Vishnu rated it it was amazing
"As You Think" is the world's most enduring and best "self-help" book. It states that whatever happening to us, must happen firstly in our mind. Mind is the master of our all results and circumstances. Once we can control our mind then the whole thing works fine for us. The importance of " self-control" is well explained. We should leave our laziness and doubts for accomplishment of our tasks. "One pure thought with one purpose" would certainly helps us to reach our destination. This book also h ...more
Sukh
May 28, 2015 Sukh rated it really liked it
Artem
Mar 24, 2016 Artem rated it it was ok
Shelves: dev
Такое... Детский сад, вторая группа. Для детей - самое то, но готовьтесь к множеству вопросов, ибо никакого обоснования в книге не представлено.
Elyas Yasin
ی کتاب در قط و اندازه کوچک ولی مفید:)
Nilesh
Apr 28, 2016 Nilesh added it
As a man thinketh so is he!
  • Jacob the Baker: Gentle Wisdom For a Complicated World
  • The Song
  • The Message of a Master: Classic Tale of Wealth, Wisdon, and the Secret of Success
  • Take Your Time: How to Find Patience, Peace, and Meaning
  • University of Success
  • The Art of True Healing: The Unlimited Power of Prayer and Visualization
  • Small Graces: The Quiet Gifts of Everyday Life
  • Thinking Body, Dancing Mind: Taosports for Extraordinary Performance in Athletics, Business, and Life
  • Glimpse After Glimpse: Daily Reflections on Living and Dying
  • Ta Hio: The Great Learning of Confucius
  • Transforming the Mind: Teachings on Generating Compassion
  • What Is Tao?
  • Barefoot Doctor's Guide to the Tao: A Spiritual Handbook for the Urban Warrior
  • Keep Going: The Art of Perseverance
  • Synchronicity: The Inner Path of Leadership
  • Live and Learn and Pass It on: People Ages 5 to 95 Share What They've Discovered about Life, Love, and Other Good Stuff
  • Dig Your Well before You're Thirsty: The only networking book you'll ever need
  • The Lunar Tao: Meditations in Harmony with the Seasons
The James Allen Free Library

Allen was 15 when his father, a businessman, was robbed and murdered. He left school to work full-time in several British manufacturing firms to help support the family. He later married Lily L. Allen and became an executive secretary for a large company. At age 38, inspired by the writings of Leo Tolstoy, he retired from employment. Allen — along with his wife and thei
More about James Allen...

“Only by much searching and mining are gold and diamonds obtained, and you can find every truth connected with your being, if you will dig deep into the mine of your soul.” 5 likes
“We don’t get what we wish and pray for, we get what we justly earn. Our wishes and prayers are only gratified and answered when they harmonize with our thoughts and actions.” 4 likes