Start by marking “Lassie Come-Home” as Want to Read:
Lassie Come-Home

Eric Knight

Lassie Come-Home

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  16,956 ratings  ·  124 reviews
A skót hegyvidék erdeiben, vízmosásokon, vadcsapásokon át egy kutya vándorol dél felé, Yorkshire irányába. Persze ő nem tudja, hogy Yorkshire felé halad, s hogy mintegy négyszáz mérföldes út áll előtte, csak azt tudja, vagy inkább érzi, hogy valahol délen, egy bányászfaluban kis gazdája, Joe várja, s hogy el kell jutnia hozzá mindenáron.
Lassie,a gyönyörű skót juhászkutya
Published by Penguin Group (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about Lassie Come-Home, please sign up.

Chasity
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

booklady
I have always wanted to read this book; I've seen the movie many times. Now I finally read it as an adult. However, I didn't read it just as ‘story’, but from the perspective of the “Great Journey Home” which we are all on. My read was a quest for universal themes, and one in particular. This quote had me in tears when I first encountered it and saw it as pertaining to my own journey back to Jesus:
‘...there was no hesitation. She was going home. Her senses were now aware of a great satisfaction
Wendy
This book would be great for any animal-loving child, but adults like myself can find enjoyment, too. The writing style isn't too simplistic, actually giving kids credit for having some brains. The book also gives children credit for being able to handle more mature subjects, without going into any gruesome details. (view spoiler) Lassie's journey is touching, and I think both adults and children should find this book rewarding ...more
Tarissa
This is a delightful and heartwarming story that takes place right after World War I, in England and Scotland. The storyline centers on Lassie, the Carraclough's pet Collie. The family loves their dog very much... but when hard times hit, the family is forced into making a life-changing and heart-wrenching decision.

The town of Greenall Bridge could always depend on seeing Lassie trotting down the streets with her owner, young Joe Carraclough.
As the story unfolds, you will discover how determined
Teresa
Dec 21, 2008 Teresa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone! Lassie Rules!!!
I had to put this book on here, because this was by far one of my favorite books when I was little... I would constantly check Lassie out from my elementary library and read it over and over agian... It got me into stories like Call of the Wild, and White Fang... But this book was one of the books that made me the reader I am today... I love lassie! =)
Mary Neary
This is a book that a read and retread as a child as well as watched the movie. The characters, the Scottish countryside and the heart wrenching story of the loyalty of a dog and a family's poverty still stay with me 45 years later. It is a testament to how a great book can become a part of our being and life experience, as if we lived it ourselves.
Carly M.
This is the book (coupled with the old TV show) that made the collie my all-time favorite dog. Even now when I know that having a sheep dog in a house in the suburbs doesn't work out very well, I still can't help but stop and stare in fascination whenever I see a collie or a sheltie (the miniature equivalent) on the street or on TV.
Ali
i was surprised by the emotionally maturity that the author gave to the son.

i love this book.
Gale
“TO OWN A DOG”

What does it take to be a true dog owner and dog lover? Certainly more than a piece of paper or a pedigree chart. Besides, what is an owner compared to being a dog’s one, true Master? Eric Knight’s 1940 tale of a dog who risks everything to be
reunited with the boy who loves her leaped into the hearts of readers the world over. Based on his youth in the mountains of Yorkshire the story opens with basic conflict: Man versus man, but unfolds into dog versus the world: man, beast, a
Rebecca McNutt
Timeless classic and a lesson of friendship and perseverance; I loved this wonderful dog story when I was a little kid and it's definitely worth reading. I can't say I cared for the film adaptation(s?) but I really enjoyed the book and I highly recommend it.
Amy Keane
I read this to my son recently and it is wonderful! A friend gave it to me because she and I have a dream-in-planning to visit England next summer with our families. It takes place in Northern England in Yorkshire, so I tried my best to read it aloud to my son using a Yorkshire accent. I am sure I sounded Scottish. Lassie is taken by a wealthy lord to his home in Scotland to train for dog shows. Of course she misses her "boy" and makes her way back.

The book we read had a map of the regions invo
Alex Gaboury

A spectacular book!
SPOILER ALERT:

A beatiful book about a dog who tries to find her way home. She starts with her family as a fine dog. She has never left this family. She waits for her little master after he has completed the school day. One day she is sold to a mean duke who doesn't spend a lot of time with her. She escapes to her family, but is always brought back. One day she is taken hundreds of miles away from her family. She finds her way back home, to the suprise of many people. On her wa
Greta
Samuel Arnett
This book is awesome i mean awesome.its about this dog named Lassie and her best friend Joe the human,Joe's dad is Sam and his mother.Lassie is a well known dog the hole naberhood knows her,until this mean nasty man named the Duke.The Duke loved this dog so he bought her off of Joe.well Sam.So the Duke takes her home.The Duke is A very rich man,the reason why he's rich is because he trains the dog he collects and put's them in show's.The Duke owns these cage's and keeps the dogs in there.so its ...more
Liebes Buch
(Ich habe das Headroom Hörbuch gehört)
Eric Knight hat das Original-Lassie-Buch 1938 veröffentlicht, und es haut einen auch heute noch vom Hocker. Ich bin ein grosser Lassie Fan und habe mich auf den Originaltext sehr gefreut. Dass ausgerechnet Jens Wawrczeck das Hörbuch spricht, ist ein besonderer Glücksfall und wurde mit dem BEO Kinderhörbuchpreis ausgezeichnet. Wawrczeck liest einfühlsam und haucht den verschiedenen Personen Leben ein, so dass das Audiobuch in keiner Weise monoton wirkt. Als d
Tina
Feb 13, 2015 Tina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every single person on the planet
My journey with this book has been over 10 years. I probably read the book in Chinese when I was 8 or 9. It must have been a book from one of the libraries I used to go to, because I don't have a copy at home. I remember being captivated by the book, and I remember reading it at a restaurant. I took the book out of my car using my dad's car keys, and read it while waiting for food at the fancy restaurant. It also had a white cover.

I remember loving the book. Really really liked it. I know that I
Shelly
I've owned this book since before I can remember. I stole it from my brother when we were kids and wrote my name all over the inside cover so he couldn't take it back. I think I just liked looking at the pictures of the dog. But all these years and I've yet to read it. I'm not sure if I ever will, but I still look at it with fondness.
Whitepixels
Lassie Come-Home is about a dog who finds her way home to her owners after walking several hundreds of miles and going through various hardships and adventures. Read it when I was about 10 years old; at that time it did not leave much of an impression on me, but I would like to revisit it with adult eyes.
The Book Hobbit
This is another classic book that I DEFINITELY recommend!!! It's such a good book and I love good dog stories, I just think it's so nice!! This book is the type of book that you can read while your sitting next to the fire place drinking hot chocolate on a chilly night!! :P
Renee
A friend brought me her old copy of this book, in honor of my new puppy.

I had never read this before. Interesting to read a children's book written long ago. It gives a sense of what was expected of children's ability to understand at that time.

Good story.
Megan
I always thought this book was called Lassie, rather than Lassie Come Home, probably because of the movie and t.v. series. This book is a really sweet story with a happy ending. Not much to it, but it's a perfect children's book, especially for kids who like dogs.
Dxarmbar06
I picked this book up for fifty cents at a used book store and was instantly hooked by the prose. Very deep, intellectual literacy caliber, considering they wrote better back in the early 20th century. This book is about so much more than a dog, it's about the universal class struggle and the Human Condition as seen through the eyes of absolute innocence--a dog. This dog represents everything the poor working man stands for, and all that the rich powerful man seeks to take away. It portrays how ...more
Kim
Such a compelling book! One of the best classic book EVER! I loved the story of Lassie! I love Lassie!! I was addicted from the start. I grew up watching the movies and decided to read the books...
Salvatore Leone
This was one of my favorites from my youth and when I saw that my wife's nephew had a copy I had to reread this classic. It holds up well, is still a wonderful, heartwarming story.
Missy
I read this to my kids and neither one of them liked it. I think it was because they didn't pick it out, I did. But I really liked the book, it was a fast easy read.
William J. Shep
The greatest and most beloved dog adventure of all time. Even someone like me, who doesn't like dogs, loves this story.
Rose Ann
I had never read this as a child. I'm not ashamed to admit I sobbed like a baby when I read this book. Wonderful!
Hans-Peter
This is the first book I ever read. I was six years old, and my Dad gave it to me. A terrific book for kids.
Devika
I love dogs, I loved Lassie from my very soul.. it's my dream to have a dog like her.. :)
Sylvester
Sobbed my way through this one as a kid. Lovely story about the faithfulness of a family pet.
NebraskaIcebergs
This past week I rediscovered Lassie Come-Home by Eric Knight. In doing so, I realized it held even more depth to it than my childhood reading of it had revealed. For example, this beloved classic dog story is set in a different time and place than those with whom I am familiar. Even the main character of Lassie is a more complex dog than I remembered, in that she at times like humans wavers between fear and love.

Lassie Come-Home was first published in 1938. At that time, just like today, there
  • Lad: A Dog
  • Gentle Ben
  • Big Red
  • Justin Morgan Had a Horse
  • National Velvet
  • Bambi
  • My Friend Flicka (Flicka, #1)
  • The Hundred and One Dalmatians (The Hundred and One Dalmatians, #1)
  • The Black Stallion and Flame (The Black Stallion, #15)
  • The Incredible Journey
  • Babe: The Gallant Pig
  • Minnow on the Say
  • Beautiful Joe
  • Hans Brinker, or the Silver Skates
  • Rascal
  • The Ship That Flew
  • Kazan
  • The Black Stallion's Shadow (Black Stallion Returns, #1)
An author who is mainly notable for creating the fictional collie Lassie.

He was a native of Yorkshire in England, and had a varied career, including service in the Canadian Army during World War I and spells as an art student, newspaper reporter and Hollywood screenwriter.

His first novel was Song on Your Bugles (1936) about the working class in Northern England. As "Richard Hallas," he wrote the h
More about Eric Knight...
This Above All You Play the Black and the Red Comes Up Sam Small Flies Again Lassie Come-Home An Unworthy Outcast