Start by marking “Close Protection” as Want to Read:
Close Protection

Close Protection (Close Protection)

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  1,355 Ratings  ·  194 Reviews
A bodyguard’s life is turned upside down by his intriguing new charge. After three consecutive expulsions for sexual misconduct, Luca D'Amato has no choice but to return to America. Jacob Ryder is the man charged with protecting him from his family's many enemies – but who will protect Ryder from Luca?

Status: Complete Word count: 267,017
Author’s Note: This story will cont
ebook, Free Online Fiction, 890 pages
Published November 18th 2012 by Self Published at FictionPress

To ask other readers questions about Close Protection, please sign up.

iam it's no longer available i'm afraid. the author chose to take down most of her online stories since they are unedited and several years old, and she…moreit's no longer available i'm afraid. the author chose to take down most of her online stories since they are unedited and several years old, and she wants new readers to be introduced to her work the way she writes now, through her (soon to be published) book(s).(less)

Judith
4.5 Stars.

Luca

Ryder

890 Pages,50 chapters.....this one would normally not be on my radar......BUT....I read a friend's review and followed her updates and just had to read it and I'm so glad I did.Let's face it...a book that took me a week to read and I didn't lose interest,to me that's an indication of a good book.

Let's get down to it....there's an age difference and please don't judge me but I find that so hot.

Luca is young,highly promiscuous....but you have to understand his past to understand
julio
Aug 24, 2015 julio rated it did not like it
Recommended to julio by: Erika
Shelves: bantha-poodoo
i have never before had the experience of skimming two hundred thousand words.

description

so crushingly dull and repetitive i found myself in a "subspace" of my own: a kind of unholy fugue of misery and self-harm i refused to end because i was so angry at myself for letting another boy break my heart in december

the whole time i'm punishing myself with this, i'm thinking

...something so utterly grating about the gleeful self-indulgence of an author who can spend ten thousand words on a single awkward family
Sheziss
Small power bottom manhandling a big hunky guy at his taste. Hot sex. Plenty of smexy times. What's not to like?

The book is very long, but it doesn't feel that way. Imagine, 890 pages. I had to charge my kindle because the battery didn't last (not that I always remember to charge it, anyway). My mother words: "You read this book and it never ends but you can't stop reading, and when you are not reading it, you think about reading it". I think that thought is compatible with my own.

If I judge the
Dia
4,5 stars

This story played with my head! A LOT!

It's very hard for me to rate and review this book. It had such great parts and I really didn't expect it to surprise me so much. But in the same time I had a hard time accepting the MC's habits and choices.

Ryder - new head of Luca's bodyguard team. Tough and introverted.

Luca - only 18 but he already had so many experiences to last him a lifetime. Promiscuous to say the least!

This book has almost 900 pages. When I started reading it, I thought it
Emma Sea
It's very tough to rate this. It's looooong; 250,000 words (50 sizeable chapters). Because it's been posted as an ongoing series it's unwieldy and could do with a hell of a lot of tightening. The plot holes are so vast it's best considered as more of plot lace. Swiss plot, perhaps.

BUT

The 18 year old twink who loves to bottom is the dominant partner, and the huge, muscled, thick-cocked Purple Heart recipient who fucks him is submissive. It takes FOREVER to get to the MC sex but holy hell, is the
Simone
Aug 09, 2016 Simone rated it it was amazing

U.N.P.U.T.D.O.W.N.A.B.L.E.

I have only one complaint about this book: it was over far too soon!

I virtually can see your incredulous looks right now, because I know exactly what you think: how can a book with 890 pages be over too soon? Lol. But this is my own goddamn fault, because I might have set a new personal record with this one. I have read Close Protection within four days and considering my limited reading time, this is saying something... Well, I have to admit that I have read a few
MaDoReader
Aug 05, 2016 MaDoReader rated it really liked it
Lo voy a dejar en un 3,5 por el último 10% del libro, que me ha decepcionado bastante, de hecho creo que esta historia empieza muy bien y en algún momento cercano al 70%, pierde gas. Redondeo al alza por ellos, que son una de las cosas más hot que me he encontrado últimamente, han conseguido pegarme al Kobo y que me deje alguna tarea doméstica sin hacer sólo por saber cómo seguía la cosa.

Tenemos por un lado a Luca, un jovenzuelo rico y malcriado de 18 años acostumbrado a hacer lo que le da la ga
Lilia Ford
Aug 24, 2015 Lilia Ford rated it really liked it
I finished this more than a week ago so it's not as fresh as I'd like. I found it impossible to put down despite the preposterousness of the plot and the length, which was easily double what it needed to be for the story it was telling. Ryder veered a bit too close to the saintly for my taste (the big reveal of his past made me groan in annoyance when it finally, finally arrived). On the other hand, Luca made up for it (sorta) by engaging in some pretty vicious behavior--to a degree that I was ...more
Vivian
Jun 20, 2013 Vivian rated it really liked it
Recommended to Vivian by: Bree Cheese
Smoking hot slashfic that combines suspense and eroticism. The scenes between Luca and Ryder are raw and urgent with a nice twist on D/s with a power bottom and his hulking sub. Add in the age differential and this is a fun read.

Luca is a force of nature. Amazing to watch, sometimes terrifying, and awe-inspiring.

Ryder, the man paid to protect him is the epitome of professional and dedicated showing no cracks until he meets one who makes him feel things again.

The significant issues are woven in
Kaje Harper
Nov 04, 2014 Kaje Harper rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, mystery, intense, bdsm
This is a free book and a long one (250K). Many thanks to the author for giving us that much fun. If you like bodyguards, age-gap, mildly D/s very hot sex, and a rollercoaster thriller story, consider this one.

The main characters are Ryder, an ex-soldier turned bodyguard, and Luca, the gorgeous, wealthy-family 18-year-old he is assigned to protect. Luca is flamboyantly sexual, a young man who has used his looks and sex appeal as a tool to control his world and the men around him. If he can make
ttg
Dec 09, 2012 ttg rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars – Close Protection is an excellent m/m action-suspense-romance that tells the story of Luca, the 18-year old son of a billionaire defense contractor, and Ryder, his new bodyguard, and how they fight together against a dangerous stalker who seems to know everything about Luca, and is willing to use that knowledge to try to control and entrap him.

At over 250,000 words/650 pages, this is a long, involved read, and even though it could have used some editing down, it was still a very engag
Dreamer
Just finished, a long free read, extremely well-written by Cordelia Kingsbridge. The tension builds throughout, a well thought out plot, highly recommended.
description
'What was his mother thinking? She was the one who'd insisted on all his bodyguards being either female or heinous trolls like Warnock, but here she was offering up Captain America on a silver platter.'
Teresa
Erika
To give you a sense of how good I thought this novel was, I managed to finish it in 24 hours. Crazy right? That's because I enjoyed the hell out of it.

I'm actually shocked that people were complaining about how long it was or how long it took to get to the sex. To me that was the best part. There are so many crappy m/m romance novels where people jump into relationships and then all of a sudden they're getting married or some such bullshit. I prefer a long, slow build up (if done well) and that
Ariana
Aug 24, 2016 Ariana rated it really liked it
Shelves: hot-hot-hot
3,5 stars
What a ride! - and that in every sense of the word! ;)
Definitely one of the hottest books I've read. And as my brain's still frazzled I'm going to do the good old plus and 'minus' list (well they aren't minuses, rather than slight niggles)

+ what I loved about this book:

.) Luca is an incredibly complex character and the author does a fab job unraveling him and his problems slowly but surely, giving totally believable explanations for his promiscuity and his pretty horrifying behaviour
Smith Barney
(FREE) This had some intriguingly-stimulating content. First-an immense appreciation for this writer's generous perseverance of this lengthy-entertaining-*free*-story for the online reading community.

This writer has a smut factor that tickles mine. Note the operative word 'tickles' because of course there's room for editing improvability and advancement in this arena and tweaking it..would be a blast.

I appreciated the spontaneous power exchange and thought it was very well-done. I couldn't app
M
Gah! Why do I do this to myself? Again! Again I've started reading fantastic online fic that is a work-in-progress. Even though patience is not a thing I have in spades. I started reading kind of blindly, blown away by the high rating and then I realized it wasn't finished yet and I honestly cried a little bit. But then I got over myself and read everything that was available until 2am in the morning before I had to get up at 6am to work a 24 hour shift. That was not a smart idea, let me tell ...more
Elsa Bravante
Ay Luca y Ryder, estoy entre el subidón por la química que tiene la pareja y la desesperación por no encontrar los Ficlets en ningún sitio.

Luca es un chico de 18 años con una vida sexual digamos que bastante agitada que ve cómo su vida es amenazada y necesita la protección de un equipo de guardaespaldas dirigido por Ryder de 28. Ahí empiezan los tiras y aflojas, conocemos a un muchacho joven mucho más dominante que el mayor, más submisivo, comprendemos todas las capas que envuelven a Luca y que
Loederkoningin
3.5 rounded up for the (in this genre) unconventional pairing, sheer enjoyment and freebie factor.

Sort of review to come.
KatieMc
Nov 24, 2014 KatieMc rated it really liked it
Shelves: free-online-fic
Technically I should have hated this. It's about a bodyguard and his charge, and no real spoilers, they fall for each other. It's also very long. But still, it's a 4 star for me, and I find myself wanting to read the other ficlets set in this universe.

Reasons to dislike Close Protection:
Age gap with one partner being barely legal. In Close Protection, Ryder is 28/29 and Luca is 18. Luca is still in high school. Granted, he is precocious and experienced, but he is still young. I don't mind the a
Olizia
Sep 07, 2016 Olizia rated it liked it
Shelves: mm
Reseña, cuming soon.... xD

(#quierounapróstataya)
A Girl Has No Name
Close Protection was definitly a very entertaining read. With more than 260.000 words it is super long, but I wsn't able to put it down and I didn't get bored at all.

When Ryder is engaged by Evelyn D'Amato to become the team leader of her son's close protection team, he doesn't know that his whole life is about to change. He has of course heard that Luca has been expelled from various schools in Europe due to sexual misconduct, but finally beind confronted with the young man he understands that
Nile Princess
Well, that was pretty effing awesome. Whew! 50 Chapters and some of the best twists and turns I've ever read. What a roller coaster ride.

There were some issues, but not enough to detract and definitely not plot wise. This is a very talented author.

Review to follow.
Christelle
I’m not going to make a lot of sense here, so don’t mind me !

Since the murder of his father, Luca has no private life, constantly surrounded by bodyguards. His less than stellar sexual conduct sends him home and he meets his new bodyguard, Ryder who seems immune to his constant advances...well, not that much. But Luca is young and Ryder has a lot in his hands trying to protect Luca from vicious attacks from an “Admirer”.
Luca’s promiscuity and sense of manipulation is totally overboard,
Line
I think this story might very well be the longest one I have ever read; the funny thing is, it didn't feel long AT ALL.
I guess this is what you call a true slow-burn, and it was so close to being perfect, that I'm pretty sure it will be read again, even though it took me 2-3 days to get through it. Luckily I started this on a friday, or else I would have been fucked, I could not put this book down.
description
So Ryder is hired as a bodyguard for Luca. Luca's mother is an important defense contractor, and pe
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
Oh my god, the suspense

(up to latest chapter)

It's nearly finished . . . so excited! :D

----

WIP no longer ladies!

I usually try to avoid swearing (excessively) in reviews. But. . .

Oh my fucking god. It's finished. Done. And I fucking loved it.

I feel so blown. Like my IQ suddenly just dropped 20 points from the sheer mind blowyness I feel. (No that is not a word. Get over it).

I loved it loved it! It was just such a steamy, but wonderful, gripping read. Holy shit on a popsicle. It was awesome. Fu
Natalie
Jan 21, 2013 Natalie rated it really liked it
Way too long, with a plot that requires some serious suspension of disbelief. However. Every time I picked this up, I was happy to spend time with these characters, and the sex (when they finally have it) is ridiculously hot. The bodyguard situation, age difference, and dom/sub role reversal pushed enough of my buttons to overcome the story's flaws.
Shelley
Overall that was pretty darn good.

I love the bodyguard falling for his principle scenario. I love an age difference and I love conflict of all kinds and this books ticked all of those boxes quite nicely.

My rating is based on the emotions I felt while reading this. I'm ignoring the plot holes, Ryder's repetitive whinging about an age gap that really is not a big deal and any editing issue I may have tripped over. This story hooked me as soon as I met the gorgeous, irresistable and oh so fucked u
Fangtasia
Nov 12, 2013 Fangtasia rated it it was amazing
My rating in this case is based solely on my emotional reaction to the book, and how incredibly obsessed I was with it while reading. If I were to rate according to an objective analysis of the story's quality, I'd have to go with 3 stars.

The book suffers from the usual issues in an online serial fic: too long, due to the author's need to make the weekly chapters engaging enough to gain and keep readers long-term; the lack of content and grammar editing, though I have to say in this case, gramm
  • Juicy Fruit
  • But then, My Homework Was Never Quite Like This (Homework Verse, #1)
  • Falls Chance Ranch (Falls Chance Ranch #1)
  • The Interludes (In the Company of Shadows, #3)
  • The Carnalli Complex (Carnalli Brothers, #1)
  • Underlying
  • Waiting in the Throes
  • The Doors of Time (The Doors of Time #1)
  • Special Forces - Mercenaries Part I (Special Forces, #2 part 1)
  • El Presidio Rides North
  • Pretty Shade of Grey
  • It's Like This
  • The Story of Tol
  • Muffin (Muffin #1)
  • First Against the Wall (The Administration, #6)
  • Cold Turkey
  • The Violet and the Tom
  • Jesse's Story (The Slave Breakers, #2)
As of June 13 2016: After much deliberation and soul-searching, I’ve decided to remove all of my original novels from the internet. There are multiple reasons for this decision, but one of the bigger ones is that if I ever do decide to publish revised versions of these books, I’d like to get them down now before I have a potential influx of new readers.
Boston verse remains on AO3.
More about Cordelia Kingsbridge...

Close Protection (3 books)
  • But I'm A Quarterback
  • Close Protection Ficlets

“I love the way you feel inside me,” he said.

Ryder made a low, rumbling noise of contentment. “I love the way I feel inside you, too.”

“I love that you did this for me because you wanted to give me something special.” Luca started rocking back and forth on Ryder’s cock. “I love that you’ve never done it for anyone else.”

Ryder’s brow creased. “Luca…”

Luca put his hand over Ryder’s mouth, a domineering gesture that silenced Ryder instantly. He didn’t know where the words were coming from, just that they were clawing at his throat, demanding to get out.

“I love the way you treat me,” he said. “I love that you’re so much stronger than me but you never make me feel weak. I love that you take care of me without implying that I can’t take care of myself. I love that you let me take control but always call me on my bullshit.”

Luca had to pause for a moment; the pleasure of their slow, rhythmic fucking was making it difficult for him to gather his thoughts. Ryder waited, eyes watchful.

“I love that you’re always worried about doing the right thing, even when nobody else is.” Certain that Ryder wouldn’t interrupt now, Luca let go of his mouth and braced his hands on Ryder’s chest. He bounced shallowly on Ryder’s cock, soaking up his size, his strength, his steady, reassuring presence. “I love that I can trust you, and I love that I can rely on you, and – and I love you, Ryder, I do, I love you – ”

Because he did, of course he did. It was crazy to pretend that he didn’t. He might be damning them both, but he couldn’t hide from this any longer, couldn’t let Ryder go on thinking he wasn’t head-over-heels in love with him.”
21 likes
“Luca is worth it. Perhaps that was what surprised Ryder most. No matter who found out about him and Luca, or how people's opinions of him might change, anything he might lose would pale in comparison to what he had gained. He felt the truth of that right down to his bones.” 11 likes