Start by marking “Democratizing Innovation” as Want to Read:
Democratizing Innovation

Democratizing Innovation

Innovation is rapidly becoming democratized. Users, aided by improvements in computer and communications technology, increasingly can develop their own new products and services. These innovating users -- both individuals and firms -- often freely share their innovations with others, creating user-innovation communities and a rich intellectual commons. In Democratizing Inn ...more
Published February 17th 2006 by MIT Press (MA) (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Democratizing Innovation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Democratizing Innovation

Jeremy Lyon
Mar 29, 2008 Jeremy Lyon rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Academic prose always makes my head hurt (and my eyes droop). Why can't we talk about scholarly matters without writing like a robot?

But that said, the ideas in here are interesting and directly applicable to anyone in innovative work. They're not so much entirely original ideas, as ideas embedded in an explanatory framework that enables you to see how and why to apply them.

Reluctantly recommended to anyone interested in how to harness the power of users in the service of innovation.
Nicholas
Jun 02, 2010 Nicholas rated it really liked it
Jonathan Jeckell
May 23, 2012 Jonathan Jeckell rated it really liked it
This book examines different ways innovation can occur, expanding upon the foundation provided by “Sources of Innovation” and the concept of Lead User Innovation. The first few chapters define characteristics of lead user innovation and venues where it is most likely to occur. This is also known as customer co-creation, where a manufacturer works with particular customers to develop new products. In this case, certain fields (or analogous fields) have extreme users who are not satisfied with the ...more
Victor Gonzalez
May 14, 2013 Victor Gonzalez rated it really liked it
On the book Democratizing Innovation, Eric von Hippel explains all utilization of users for developing innovative products by carefully explains all the aspect related to this concept. Throughout the book we can find the same examples coming over to explain different aspects, but don’t get me wrong there are multiple example that contribute to his theory.

Each chapter of the book is dedicated to one aspect; the transition from one chapter to another is smooth and provides a consistent way for und
MI2
Dec 08, 2010 MI2 rated it liked it
David
Nov 01, 2009 David rated it liked it
Shelves: work-reads
There is no doubt that the continued lower costs and democratization of the tools and distribution of things previously the realm of pros is reshaping our world.

But this book reads like a college textbook. More academia than Malcolm Gladwell or Chris Anderson. Which I guess is good if you're a true researcher.

There's definitely good content and ideas to be had here, but for me it could be delivered just as effectively as a Forrester Report.

The book is available free in digital form online so giv
Angelo
Oct 13, 2013 Angelo rated it liked it
I like the basic premisse of the book: innovation is not only done by manufacturers, but also by customer organizations, or even individual customers. I like the way how Von Hippel proves this using nice case studies, and sketches an innovation landscape which involves the customer (e.g. handing out 'innovation kits').
What I don't really like is the amount of text it takes to make this point...
Nilotpal Das
Mar 01, 2015 Nilotpal Das rated it did not like it
Extremely boring. like a college book. A whole lot of theory about how individual users and user organizations should be encouraged to do innovation. I was looking for a book about corporate innovation culture, which this book is definitely not.
Patrick Mulder
Jul 10, 2016 Patrick Mulder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book provides a great summary why and how people want to share know-how. The internet makes community building much easier. This affects how we build products and how companies should tackle innovation.
virumandi
good book
jenni
Apr 06, 2014 jenni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very good book
sreekanth us
Dec 14, 2015 sreekanth us rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marghieth Garcia
Jun 17, 2016 Marghieth Garcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very inspiring. Read while taking the User Innovation online course at MITx. I learned a lot! Thank you to Prof. von Hippel and his excellent team!
Garun Singh
This is really a gud book
hema uk
Jul 14, 2014 revathir+us rated it it was amazing
nice
Eugene Lee
Jul 30, 2011 Eugene Lee rated it liked it
Just ok; nothing earth shattering above and beyond his original book
sa
sa rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2014
raja
raja rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
Justin
Justin rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2013
Borislava
Borislava rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2012
Sarah rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2011
Zeega
Zeega rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2016
Indira porwal
Indira porwal rated it it was ok
Nov 12, 2013
padmavathy
padmavathy rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2017
varsha
varsha rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2015
Ken Davidian
Ken Davidian rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2013
  • Living and Learning with New Media: Summary of Findings from the Digital Youth Project (The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation Series on Digital Media and Learning)
  • So, You Want to Start a Business?: 8 Steps to Take Before Making the Leap
  • Empowered: Unleash Your Employees, Energize Your Customers, and Transform Your Business
  • The Truth About Managing People...And Nothing But the Truth
  • Young People, Ethics, and the New Digital Media: A Synthesis from the Good Play Project: A Synthesis from the GoodPlay Project (The John D. and Catherine ... Reports on Digital Media and Learning)
  • The Truth About the New Rules of Business Writing (Truth About Series)
  • The Lazy Project Manager: How to be Twice as Productive and Still Leave the Office Early
  • The Reflective Practitioner: How Professionals Think in Action
  • Leading at a Higher Level: Blanchard on Leadership and Creating High Performing Organizations
  • Team Secrets Of The Navy Seals: The Elite Military Force's Leadership Principles For Business
  • Business and Competitive Analysis: Effective Application of New and Classic Methods
  • Ultimate Leadership: Winning Execution Strategies for Your Situation
  • In the Line of Fire: How to Handle Tough Questions When It Counts
  • Open Innovation: The New Imperative for Creating And Profiting from Technology
  • Disrupt: Think the Unthinkable to Spark Transformation in Your Business
  • The Nature of Technology: What It Is and How It Evolves
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • The Personal Credibility Factor: How to Get It, Keep It, and Get It Back (If You've Lost It)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“hard to create. One will very likely
be rejected with the rebuke that one should not spoil the fun! Pleasure as a motivator can apply to the development of commercially”
1 likes
“innovation is being democratized, I mean that users of products and services-both firms and individual consumers-are increasingly able to innovate for themselves. User-centered innovation processes offer great advantages” 1 likes