Start by marking “May Day Eve and Other Stories” as Want to Read:

May Day Eve and Other Stories

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Published 2011 by Anvil Publishing

Airiz C
“Pareng Nick” is a frequent companion of mine when I was in high school. I remembered burying my nose in a dog-eared copy of Manila, My Manila and staying in the library after classes just to search for his anthologies. It’s been ages since I last sat down and binge on some of his works, so the *roundhouse kick* of nostalgia that greeted me at the bookstore when I saw May Day Eve and Other Stories is only expected. Needless to say, I relented to the sudden irresistible urge to pick it up. I fini ...more
Pyangee lariosa
a brilliant author who created this great literary piece told us to never force love, that a love will never work if it has only passion and infatuation. the irony of how aguenda told her story to her daughter about a devil she saw in the mirror wherein deep inside labeled him as her husband and how her husband told his grandson he also saw a witch in the mirror which also portrays his wife. regrets came when he finally realize he forgotten he fell in love with his wife. tragic ending, not becau ...more
I felt homesick reading this. Nothing compares to reading a book written by an author coming from your own country, from your own realities. Obvious really, but I didn't really realize it until I finished this. Full review on my blog Guiltless Reading.
Tito Quiling, Jr.
In this collection, named after his celebrated story of magic realism, May Day Eve tells a story of pain, regret, horror and folklore, which are described in a non-linear fashion, interweaving with time, characters and local color which enhances the tasteful description. The myth of finding out your marriage partner when you look into a mirror at midnight on April 31st. Witches, devils, disobedient children -- these are the main characters in his story of the same name, all of which transcend ti ...more
John Ray
I have only read the may day eve, and i will surely read his other works. I didn't know that he was a very great filipino writer. The story's narration was good, and his words were so flower-y. His imagination was very good. I will love to read most of his short stories. I'm giving him a four for now, but just as soon as I finished his other short stories, this rating would change.

I actually read a speech of his that he said in an event in UST, entitled "Journalism vs Literature". And that speec
Aug 23, 2014 Cherry rated it 5 of 5 stars
educational :)
Mr. Potato
Book #73 for 2012: Because I wanted to feel like a college student again, I borrowed this from the library. Admittedly, I can only remember May Day Ever (a required reading in college). It still is my favorite Nick Joaquin story but I've added Three Generations in the list. Seriously, you can never go wrong with Pareng Nick.
Jul 27, 2012 booklady marked it as recommended
Enbrethiliel over at Shredded Cheddar threw this into the mix as well. G. K C., Flannery, move over... ;) She says these are some goooood short stories! Thanks a second time!
I miss reading this kind of fiction.
I actually thought this was a pretty good story. I mean I liked how it had such a creepy concept yet, it didn't scare me at all, which most scary books tend to do so.
Parth Dhand
better than dead stars and brother leon
Alyssa Lemon
mirror, mirror on the wall :))
classic filipino literature.
Rian is currently reading it
Nov 26, 2015
Gonzalo Limbitco
Gonzalo Limbitco marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Mariel marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Danica marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Ren marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Karly Lao
Karly Lao marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
John Paul
John Paul marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Khimberly marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
  • The Kite of Stars and Other Stories
  • Tree (Rosales Saga, #2)
  • Die! Die, Evil! Die! Ahrrrgh! (Kikomachine Komix, #3)
  • Ang Mundong Ito ay Lupa
  • Bones of Contention: The Andres Bonifacio Lectures
  • Dekada '70 (Ang Orihinal at Kumpletong Edisyon)
  • Ang Tundo Man May Langit Din
  • Banana Heart Summer
  • Dead Stars
  • Catch A Falling Star
  • State of War
  • Walong Diwata ng Pagkahulog
  • Unreported Murders (Trese, #2)
  • Arkitekturang Filipino: A History of Architecture and Urbanism in the Philippines
Nicomedes Márquez Joaquín (May 4, 1917–April 29, 2004) was a Filipino writer, historian and journalist, best known for his short stories and novels in the English language. He also wrote using the pen name Quijano de Manila. Joaquin was conferred the rank and title of National Artist of the Philippines for Literature.

After Jose Rizal and Claro M. Recto, both writers in spanish language, he is cons
More about Nick Joaquín...

“The world was always going to be remade by people who were too busy to remake themselves first and who left the world twice as miserable as before.” 4 likes