Start by marking “May Day Eve and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
May Day Eve and Other Stories

May Day Eve and Other Stories

Published 2011 by Anvil Publishing

Airiz C
“Pareng Nick” is a frequent companion of mine when I was in high school. I remembered burying my nose in a dog-eared copy of Manila, My Manila and staying in the library after classes just to search for his anthologies. It’s been ages since I last sat down and binge on some of his works, so the *roundhouse kick* of nostalgia that greeted me at the bookstore when I saw May Day Eve and Other Stories is only expected. Needless to say, I relented to the sudden irresistible urge to pick it up. I fini ...more
Pyangee lariosa
May 12, 2015 Pyangee lariosa rated it it was amazing
a brilliant author who created this great literary piece told us to never force love, that a love will never work if it has only passion and infatuation. the irony of how aguenda told her story to her daughter about a devil she saw in the mirror wherein deep inside labeled him as her husband and how her husband told his grandson he also saw a witch in the mirror which also portrays his wife. regrets came when he finally realize he forgotten he fell in love with his wife. tragic ending, not becau ...more
Sep 27, 2014 guiltlessreader rated it it was amazing
I felt homesick reading this. Nothing compares to reading a book written by an author coming from your own country, from your own realities. Obvious really, but I didn't really realize it until I finished this. Full review on my blog Guiltless Reading.
Aug 29, 2016 Cielbert rated it liked it
I had read a Nick Joaquin once during my sixth semester in college, back when I was still taking Philippine Literature class. I first read his work Summer Solstice and, truth be told, I was deeply mesmerized by his skill. My first impression of him was mostly positive because of his unique style of writing, his atmospheric prose and very witty plot twists.

But I'm not quite sure about this one.

May Day Eve and Other Stories has caught my attention when I visited our local bookstore during a date n
Tito Quiling, Jr.
In this collection, named after his celebrated story of magic realism, May Day Eve tells a story of pain, regret, horror and folklore, which are described in a non-linear fashion, interweaving with time, characters and local color which enhances the tasteful description. The myth of finding out your marriage partner when you look into a mirror at midnight on April 31st. Witches, devils, disobedient children -- these are the main characters in his story of the same name, all of which transcend ti ...more
Sep 17, 2012 Maan rated it it was amazing
Book #73 for 2012: Because I wanted to feel like a college student again, I borrowed this from the library. Admittedly, I can only remember May Day Ever (a required reading in college). It still is my favorite Nick Joaquin story but I've added Three Generations in the list. Seriously, you can never go wrong with Pareng Nick.
Jul 27, 2012 booklady marked it as recommended
Enbrethiliel over at Shredded Cheddar threw this into the mix as well. G. K C., Flannery, move over... ;) She says these are some goooood short stories! Thanks a second time!
May 15, 2013 Arianna rated it liked it
I actually thought this was a pretty good story. I mean I liked how it had such a creepy concept yet, it didn't scare me at all, which most scary books tend to do so.
Camille rated it really liked it
May 30, 2013
Charlene Chua
Charlene Chua rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2013
Rian rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2015
Szerhanie rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2015
Arnold Azores
Arnold Azores rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2015
Gean Viray
Gean Viray rated it really liked it
May 11, 2015
Bae rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2015
Jansen Valenzuela
Jansen Valenzuela rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2012
Angela Pangz
Angela Pangz rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2015
Julie Ann
Julie Ann rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2014
Elisa rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2016
Mejilla_sheralynyahoo.Com rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2015
Enie Otarez
Enie Otarez rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2013
Bofieb rated it it was ok
May 15, 2013
Parth Dhand
May 14, 2013 Parth Dhand rated it it was ok
better than dead stars and brother leon
Jacob rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2015
Hannah Joy
Hannah Joy rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2014
Dona rated it did not like it
Nov 19, 2014
Jannet rated it it was ok
Aug 06, 2013
Cecille Baello
Cecille Baello rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2013
Annella Infante
Annella Infante rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2012
Edylane Mae
Edylane Mae rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2014
  • Tree (Rosales Saga, #2)
  • Die! Die, Evil! Die! Ahrrrgh! (Kikomachine Komix, #3)
  • State of War
  • Project 17
  • Catch A Falling Star
  • The Kite of Stars and Other Stories
  • Looking Back
  • Dekada '70 (Ang Orihinal at Kumpletong Edisyon)
  • Girl Trouble
  • Walong Diwata ng Pagkahulog
  • Mga Uod at Rosas
  • Ladlad: An Anthology of Philippine Gay Writing
  • Ang Tundo Man May Langit Din
  • Arkitekturang Filipino: A History of Architecture and Urbanism in the Philippines
  • Unang Ulan ng Mayo
Nicomedes Márquez Joaquín (May 4, 1917–April 29, 2004) was a Filipino writer, historian and journalist, best known for his short stories and novels in the English language. He also wrote using the pen name Quijano de Manila. Joaquin was conferred the rank and title of National Artist of the Philippines for Literature.

After Jose Rizal and Claro M. Recto, both writers in spanish language, he is cons
More about Nick Joaquín...

“The world was always going to be remade by people who were too busy to remake themselves first and who left the world twice as miserable as before.” 7 likes