Start by marking “New Discoveries (New Discoveries, #1)” as Want to Read:
New Discoveries (New Discoveries, #1)

New Discoveries (The New Discoveries Series #1)

2.91 of 5 stars 2.91  ·  rating details  ·  322 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Matthew works at a video rental store and runs into his ex-girlfriend's gay best friend, Jamie, who needs a job.

The two form an unlikely friendship, filled with sensual encounters...which lead Matt to question his sexuality.

This book is a novella which does contain graphic sexual scenes, and should be read by adults only.

Make sure to read “Broken Hearts”, the second ins
Published May 2nd 2012 by Porterlance Books (first published February 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about New Discoveries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Discoveries

Cindi
Beck said it better than I ever could. The writing was lacking but I could overlook that for the most part. Neither character was all that great but I could overlook that as well. The story was free so I have no right to complain at all, right? And I had no desire to do so. I was going to mark it as "read" on here and move on without a review or a rating. But then I got to a specific part of the story and not only was I shaking my head but I was saying WHAT????? That made my decision as far as t ...more
Beck
Ok. This review will contain what most would consider spoilers but there is no way to avoid that as I vent my spleen. In all fairness I must confess that I was annoyed that I had accidentally purchased this book as I downloaded a few hundred samples late at night, without my glasses, so that annoyance may have had a bearing on how little patience I had with the bollocks that is this story.

As I started reading the book I was horrified by the amateurish writing style. At first I forgave the author
Shay Kassa
Two stars because the grammar wasn't horrible, but otherwise this isn't one to read. (view spoiler) ...more
Adrienne
Not very romantic....

It started our pretty good although the relationships were convoluted and the typos are really obvious, but then it just got worse from there. It just all of a sudden got totally unrealistic and the whole "Roger" incident was awful.

To go from basically being raped, and no protection, to making love with the man you're supposedly in love with is gross. That is so disrespectful to not even tell Jamie what happened. Matt is selfish, irresponsible, and childish. I have no idea w
Ashley♥Alexis
I wanted to like this, I really did. The plot for the most part seemed interesting. After reading the first chapter I realized I did not like the writing style but I stayed with it because I wanted to kno what would happen. I found myself annoyed with how this ended. Its unrealistic to (view spoiler) eh. I'm gonna try to avoid the other two books in this series.
tacitus
Adult in Content, but Juvenile in Tone

What I mean when I say that this story is juvenile "in tone" is that the writing style itself feels novice and hurried. Minus the explicit scenes, it felt like a story written by a teenager. Scenes are well described physically, visually, but inner dialogue is blunt, emotionless, and lacking in any kind of personality. The tone remains the same regardless of whose inner dialogue we're reading, and everything simply moves too quickly. I felt as if I was readi
Melanie~~
Probably a 2.5 rating. I thing the ending is unrealistic for (view spoiler). But the writer was clever in ending it on such a cliffie as to all but necessitate getting the next book. [sigh]. I didn't particularly like the writing style as it seemed like a listing of factual events with not much emotion attached.
Kate Aaron
2.5 - I like the set-up and I like the characters, but there's just something lacking from this... there's no emotional depth to it, a lot of telling not showing I think. If the author slowed it all down and drew it out a bit more it'd be a great story.
Thomaidha Papa
Beck and Cindi said it all, and frankly I won't be adding anything for fear I might get brutal.
No, just no. Enough with the trash already!
Roni Guzman
This entire series was very emotional up until the last book. Then it suddenly just ends with sort of a good ending but there were so many things that were just left open. The main character is Matt and the story starts off how he is not even aware that he is gay. He finds is first partner and love with Jamie. I really can't say much other than their relationship is so special and Matt struggles in the beginning to accept that he is gay. He is very confused and he falls passionately in love with ...more
Stalker
"New Discoveries" had potential. Unfortunately, it felt as though I were reading the writings of Someone in their early teens. It was emotionally underdeveloped, shortcuts were made to get from scene to scene, and the editting was easily questionable. I would probably prefer to read this storyline written by Someone with, in general, a little more experience.
Callie Marks
I had really hoped to get over the bad writing in this. It clearly was not edited or even read by other readers before published. I'll keep it short since I've seen other reviews (wish I read those first before reading this!) have posted about it. The story line goes along fine except towards the end and it just ruins what little was left of it.
Marie
Having never read anything by the author, I didn't know what to expect. My first impression? He needs to find a new editor. Some of the story was rushed. He really likes the word "though". Not sure if I would have paid for the book had it not been a freebie.
lesley dawn wallace
New discoveries

New discoveries

New discoveries is a great read you just don't know what you really got til it's gone so be happy
Christopher Carter
Interesting concept and telling and I'm eager to see how this plays out over the next three books
Amie
This was prooly written and felt rushed.
Janie
I thought the book was very sweet in the beginning and predictable. I could not believe the ending though. Of course this will all come back to bite Matt in his ass. He should have just told Jamie what happened with Roger and got it off his chest. Will Jamie be able to forgive him for not telling him? And after being raped he then goes back and makes love all day with Jamie? So in all this making love Jamie never once gets to look at Matts ass? How the hell could he not tell that Matt was bleedi ...more
Amyredswiss97
Very2 good
I really enjoyed this book up to a certain point, It really needed to be longer to explain some things though. I felt like some of the things the guys talked about should have gone into more detail and they didnt. Then the ending just pissed me off, why oh why didn't he tell Jamie about Roger and the horrible experience he just had? How on earth did they make love when poor Matt had to be dying from pain? Even though I want to know what happens next I just cannot bring myself to spend money on t ...more
Larry Arnold
its a very cute start of a love story between a gay and str8.

i would have gave it more stars but the errors wether grammar or mixing up the main characters names. these small things were a soar taste on my reading mind.

im just hoping the errors were due to being free. i want to read the rest, but will be disapointed if i pay and there are still errors.

but other then that a cute story. i van relate to the gay man and how he felt coming out.
Annelise L'Estrange
This was so promissing... Until Roger.

(view spoiler)

Poor Jamie.
Mocha Haven
Bradley
I recently acquired a Kindle. Amazon has a load of free Kindle books that I can peruse. Most of them are from non name authors trying to make it big. Most of them are riddled with nonsense. What more do you want from something free?

New Discoveries wasn't so bad. Yes, there are some ludicrous moments. That said, I found this book to be a pleasant read.
Bea
I was enjoying the book up until 69% of the book. Then one of the characters does something I think would be physically impossible and incredibly irresponsible. I was horrified!!!!

I see that this was an installment, so I assume that this one is free to hook us. Thank goodness I did not pay for this. I rarely give one stars, but this one is one.
Garrett
Can't say this book is anything more than decent...I guess I shouldn't have expected much more out of a free book. The description made it sound alright, but everything was rushed. It seemed tons of time had passed every few paragraphs, and I can't say the story-line was exciting and unpredictable.
Lynnebaby
OMG. This was pretty bad I read the whole first part because I was hoping for it to get better. It didn't. The awfulness would just not end. The writing is very simple and unimaginative, plot was not good, and editing was so-so. I'll be deleting this from my Kindle immediately.
Lila Hunter
Could be better as a stand alone book. They should solve their issues during X-Mas and get a HEA. I'm not planning to continue reading the series since I didn't like their direction.
Tc
Writing was amateurish and it made it hard for me to read because I simply couldn't connect to it. Story was... below average in my opinion. I don't really have a lot else to say.
  • Whiskey Dreams (Sleepy Hollow, #1)
  • Back-up
  • Tomfoolery
  • Autopilot Engaged (Turbulence, #2)
  • Language Lessons
  • Daron's Guitar Chronicles: Volume One (Daron's Guitar Chronicles, #1)
  • Measure of Devotion (Measure of Devotion, #1)
  • See Right Through (Savannah, #1)
  • Bourbon Affair (Pentacles of Magick #2.5)
  • The Importance of Being Denny
  • Swept Up In Blue
  • What He Wants
  • By Chance (Courtland Chronicles, #1)
  • The Math Teacher Is Dead
  • Indestructible
  • Look Sharp (Hidden Talents, #3)
  • Pole Star
  • Time to Upsize (The Indignities)
A Life For Nicholas (The Nicholas Chronicles) The Guilt of The Wealthy (The Billionaire Bachelor Series #1) Broken Hearts (New Discoveries, #2) A Home For Christmas Life Changes (New Discoveries, #3)