Start by marking “Donovan's Angel (Donovans of the Delta, #1)” as Want to Read:
Donovan's Angel (Donovans of the Delta, #1)

Donovan's Angel (Donovans of the Delta #1)

Donovans of the Delta Series - Book One

When vagabond musician Marte Fleming moved to small town Mississippi, she never expected her dance studio to be labeled a honky tonk. And she certainly never expected to fall for the preacher next door. They are absolutely wrong for each other.

How Reverend Paul Donovan convinces a congregation to change its mind about Marte and convin
Nook
Published 2011 by Peggy Webb via Smashwords (first published 1986)

Suzanne Williams
My biggest issue with this story was the lack of clear plot. Take away the sexual situations and there isn't much left. I liked the cast of characters, but after a while, I wanted something to go wrong and it be harder to resolve, because that is more like real life. I do not think his behavior would be as accepted in church circles as portrayed in this book.

As to structure, it is full of telling sentences and has multiple cases of head-hopping, often going from one point of view to the next wit
Fernanda
:( nao gosto de dar 2 estrelas, dá uma sensação estranha de nao estimar o trabalho do escritor... mas neste caso, nao poderia dar mais.
a historia se desenrola de uma forma nao muito actual... tanta ingenuidade e tanta preocupação com o bem parecer fazem da historia uma "chatice".
a protagonista que se acha "diferente", acaba por ser ela um poço de contradição e convencional.
está mais preocupada com o que a comunidade pode pensar e não com os sentimentos que acabam por se revelar.

o plot até que é
Chandra
Aug 16, 2012 Chandra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Absolutely ridiculous...I think I only kept reading to see how scandalous the preacher would be with Martie and her brazen ways...jazzercise, teddies as undergarments, and men who smoke pipes. Must have been from the 70's or 80's...lol.
Anna's Herding Cats
I really enjoyed Donovan's Angel. It's a sweet, charming, has a little humor mixed in and a lot of small town drama. Paul, who's the town preacher, is going about his business when his new neighbor falls into his life. Literally. As in, right out of a tree and into his garden. Martie's a tree climbing jazzercise teacher that plays baseball with the guys and wears wild crazy clothes. And Paul, he's completely and utterly smitten with this woman whose puppy who keeps stealing his things and bringi ...more
Shirley
Mar 09, 2012 Shirley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up Donovan’s Angel when I was greedily picking up freebies from Amazon. I know it must not seem like it, but I am actually picky about the freebies that I pick up. I read the synopsis of all of them and pick and choose. I also check out reviews from trusted readers. I don’t just grab every freebie that is offered… but I do take full advantage of them when they are available. Most of the time I’m rewarded by either finding another great author to follow or stumbling upon a really good re ...more
Jules
Apr 04, 2012 Jules rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story was adorable! I've known people similar to Martie, our heroine, and they most definitely keep you guessing. Thankfully, Paul has the patience of a saint. Both characters kept me entertained. Actually, all the characters in this book came to life for me! Good job, Peggy Webb!

Considering our hero is a pastor, I know there are readers disappointed that the author wrote of Paul's attraction to Martie along with a few sensual scenes, but it didn't put me off at all. I find it refreshing to
Dorrice
Mar 25, 2012 Dorrice rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
U=I have not yet started to read it, but just wanted to post that this and several others of my books have been free downloads for my Kindle. The review of this one sounded interesting. I am not familiar with the writing of Peggy Webb and am looking forward to reading the book.

Later: having started the book, I have to say I gave up on it after a few chapters. When you have characters in a presumably Christian book falling in love for physical and appearance reasons, without giving time to gettin
Nellie
Jun 24, 2012 Nellie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting book. A bit more steamy than what I want my teen daughter reading, but nothing actually happens. Just their thoughts while kissing. Fun story line. It's been 2 weeks since I read it so I'm not 100% clear of language, but I think there was none. From the book: When Martie Fleming breezed into small town Pontotoc, Mississippi, determined to settle down and teach jazzercise in her home studio, she never expected to land next door to the minister. She never expected her playf ...more
Jayjay
Aug 02, 2015 Jayjay marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2read-kobo
When Martie Fleming breezed into small town Pontotoc, Mississippi, determined to settle down and teach jazzercise in her home studio, she never expected to land next door to the minister. She never expected her playful golden retriever to steal his shorts right off the clothes line. And she certainly never expected to fall in love.

Everybody in town would agree they are so wrong for each other – everybody but Paul Donovan. With her gypsy outfits, her lively music and her irrepressible spirit, Mar
Dee
Jun 17, 2012 Dee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the most refreshing book that I have read in a long time. The reactions of the other character in this story line is sad but unfortunatly really does happen a lot. I liked the way that it was handled and in such an adorable way. The story takes place in an area that I know fairly well.

I know that some readers would have liked more descriptions on the bedroom scenes but I think that this was done very tastefully and like the old saying "leave some to the imagination and it is even more e
LaFleurBleue
Quite cute story about the life in a small very conservative village, where the pastor falls for his new neighbor, a fun free-thinking and free-dressing girl.
I quite liked the pastor, who was definitely not stuffy, nor self-righteous. However Martie never really convinced me; she could be quite fun; I liked the unexpected turns of events which she launched, and would then overwhelm absolutely everybody, especially the pharisians in the city. The main problem is that she is definitely not consis
Donna Hatridge
Mar 12, 2012 Donna Hatridge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was on of the most sweet, entertaining and funny romances I have read in a long time. The story flowed well with good character development that had us caring about the Paul & Martie. There are no descriptive sex scenes in this book. On the Nook this book has a total of 402 pages with 361 pages of story.

Char (1RadReader59)
This had to be one of the funniest books I have read in a long time for a romance. Marti is just so flamboyant as a character she just jumps right off the page at you. Yet, so very sweet & not over powering at the same time. As in Paul's character is just so easy going & gentle the you can see by the author word just how much he loves Marti from the second she falls out of her tree into he yard. Ms. Beulla is a pain in the behind but she adds spice the this already to funny story for it ...more
JP
Jun 03, 2012 JP rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say the story in itself was pretty sweet. The setting of two totally different people falling in love is quite romantic. Unfortunately I was more annoyed with this book then I've ever been. The whole setting with a reverend and a gypsy was just a little too unnerving. I especially disliked the whole "you're a minister and I will feel smothered" talk that was going on. I couldn't really relate to the religious part in this story, so it kept unnerving me.
I have to admit though, that the
LAWonder10
The writing style was passable and it could have been a cute,
fitting story but the "human passion" was a little too intense
for the story subject.
The point that a minister is still a man was OK. The fact that
the woman he fell in love with was a little flamboyant was OK to
a point. It was a little excessive. Also, an angry, judgmental
congregation is not likely to repent and change their attitudes
so quickly. That was totally unrealistic. It would be acceptable
in a fantasy or fairytale setting but
Terry Crawford Palardy
I love books with happy endings, and have grown to anticipate these when reading Peggy's books. This one is no exception. The two characters come to the relationship from very different backgrounds and experiences, but feel an instant attraction. The characters around them have a wet towel effect on their relationship, but it doesn't dim the spark. I gave this a four only because the third quarter of the book seemed almost endless, and I grew impatient. But the fourth quarter did not let me down ...more
Cristina Contilli
Rosa contemporaneo... anche i pastori (protestanti) si innamorano...

Non mi era mai capitato di leggere un rosa con un sacerdote come protagonista maschile... nella storia non c'è però niente di sconvolgente perché siamo negli Stati Uniti e quindi il problema è dato solo dalle diversità di carattere e di aspirazioni di lui e di lei... carino, divertente, una commedia sentimentale sotto forma di libro invece che di film, però, un po' insolito per una lettrice italiana come me...

EBOOK KINDLE
Nicole
Feb 13, 2012 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: written-review
This was the most amazing story-telling, that I have read in a long time. I could not set it down, nor could I wipe off the huge grin on my face. Peggy Webb's story is sweet, romantic and just absolutely adorable. The chatacters are true to themselves while battling the truth they share. I am thrilled this is the first in a series and I cannot wait to dive into the adventures of the rest of the Donovan clan.
elaine m. suda
Aug 11, 2014 elaine m. suda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny, funny

Funny, funny

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. I laughed and laughed as I read almost every page. I found this story sweet, humorous and uplifting even though the characters had different thoughts about the way they showed their love for each other. You can't suppress love forever....It will surface and thank God for that. I will read more of Peggy Webb's books.

StarWarsFans
This is not a Christian romance. It's a romance about people who attend church. A true Christian romance leaves you a better person for reading it at the end. This did nothing to enrich my soul. It was just a fluffy story about two people in lust who don't know how to communicate. No real plot at all.
Kame
Mar 12, 2012 Kame rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this read.

The love story is timeless but with some of the references you can tell it is based in the 80s.

Martie is really attracted to Paul - but when she finds out he is a minister she doesn't think it will work out. Paul is smitten from the moment he meets her. However Martie is a wild spirit and his congregation is not prepared for her "wild" ways.
Nicola
This was a quick, light read that made me smile. I would consider this a holiday read - it could be picked up and put down easily without losing any of the story. I was a little disappointed that the religious community was so narrow- minded, and that a seemingly strong character decided to give up so easily. I was however, pleased with the ending.
Midnight Sapp
This is my first book by Peggy Webb and I really enjoyed it. It was definitely a happy read, I found myself smiling throughout the book. Martie and Paul are really different but the sparks appears the instant they met. They go through a lot but finally we got a happy ending. I really liked how Martie confronted those who misjudge her and the epilogue was really nice.
Melissa
Jun 19, 2012 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Donovan's Angel" wasn't a bad read. It's a bit dated - talking about records and trusty cars. I didn't think the plot was that strong. Martie's very eccentric and flamboyant. Reverend Donovan is very conservative on the exterior but secretly a bit eccentric internally. I'm not 100% sure about how I feel about this story. I definitely didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either.
Brenda
Jan 06, 2012 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a delightful read. It's romantic, silly and brought much needed smiles. I'd never read Peggy Webb, but I will be reading her from now on, and looking over her backlist. The characters are funny and amazing...each and every one, no matter how small their role. Ms. Webb brings her characters to life!
Beth
Apr 15, 2013 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
If I'm totally honest I found this book rooting through my kindle store,I saw it was free so I decided to download it knowing I hadn't lost anything if it turned out to be pants,but actually to my surprise it's an amazing book which I found hard to put down,I was most upset when I read the last page,I wanted it to just keep going!!
Highland-dreamer
Tasha
May 15, 2012 Tasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was deffinatly an all time favorite book it will teach you not to judge a book by its cover. dont say two people shouldnt be together just because they look to be opposites. This was an adorable book
Angie
Feb 21, 2013 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sonia
May 13, 2014 Sonia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed with this. It could have been a great read but there was a mild sex scene and lots and lots of innuendos and thinking about sex and talking about it and a lot of wishy washy back and forth. I didn't like the way the characters wouldn't just open up and be honest.
  • A Fair to Remember (Welcome to Redemption, #2)
  • Amazon Lily
  • Family Ties (Sunset Crescent, #1)
  • Love is all around (Looking for Love #1)
  • Catch Me a Catch
  • Heart Of A Cowboy
  • Secret Vow
  •  Angel on Fire (Angel Investigations)
  • Letters To Gabriella (Glebe Point, #2)
  • Marriage by Mistake
  • With a View
  • When the Heart Falls
  • The Beauty Bride (Jewels of Kinfairlie #1)
  • Devil Moon
  • Shadows of the Soul (The Paradisian Chronicles, #1)
  • Love in Bloom
  • A Fair of the Heart (Welcome to Redemption, #1)
  • Almost a Bride
Peggy Webb is a USA Today Bestselling author from Mississippi. She has written 70 novels, 200 magazine humor columns, 2 screenplays. Called a "comedic genius" by her peers, she writes romantic comedy and the hilarious Southern Cousins Mysteries as Peggy Webb. She writes literary fiction under the pen names Anna Michaels and Elaine Hussey. Pat Conroy calls her literary work "astonishing" and Kathie ...more
More about Peggy Webb...

Donovans of the Delta (5 books)
  • Sleepless Nights (Donovans of the Delta #2)
  • Hallie's Destiny (Donovans of the Delta #3)
  • Any Thursday