Addicted to Love

Addicted to Love

3.04 of 5 stars 3.04  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Wes Holiday sells his landscaping business and retreats to a quaint mountain town to heal after ending a ten year relationship with a woman he couldn't bring himself to marry. In three weeks he is so captivated by a hair stylist that he deprives himself of food and sleep to be near her. When the local sheriff is murdered, Wes is recruited to keep the peace in the town his...more
Published October 1st 2011 by 22 West Books (first published January 1st 2011)

Paperback Dolls
Previously posted at Paperback Dolls.com

West has delivered a romantic thriller that strives to combine romantic love scenes with a grisly murder mystery. The story is interesting and engaging as we watch Wes struggle with his lack of police skills, his deep seated nostalgia for the town, and a torrid romance that has him physically and emotionally overwhelmed. As the story unfolds and more victims fall prey to the murderer, we feel Wes’s blinders begin to fall off as he attempts to comprehend th...more
Julia
I hate to give up on books, but I had to stop reading this one. I just couldn't connect with the characters or the plot. Lots of sex and longing on the part of the protagonist, but it didn't seem sexy or interesting to me. I could not summon any enthusiasm to keep reading, and decided why waste my time reading something I don't like when there are so many good books out there.

I only read 7 1/2 chapters, so my review is based only on that.
Nikki
Toni Osborne
What an alluring title and an intriguing synopsis.

This story is set in the idyllic mountain town of Highland Falls where the residents have a penchant for romance, love permeates in every household. The story explores mainly the seed of undeniable love that blossoms into a heated passion between Wes Holliday, a wealthy entrepreneur, and Leah Donovan, a hairstylist. But not all is merry in the quaint town, trouble is simmering and it all began with a love potion…

The story opens when the local sh...more
TC
Jun 19, 2012 TC rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: crime
Wes has holed up in a cabin in the holiday town he used to summer in with his family. He's sold up his business and fallen madly in love with a local hairdresser. He's completely besotted but his pleasure is interrupted by the death of the local sheriff. He is appointed to the role temporarily despite having no experience of any sort in law enforcement. What seems to be a one-off crime of passion turns out to be the start of a series of inexplicable attacks and Wes has to try and tear himself aw...more
Wanda Hartzenberg
This book was a free download on Amazon. I started reading the book with little hope for the story. The title indicated that this might not be to my taste. But I try to give books a chance before simply discarding it. Am I glad I did that. The story is weird, and not at all what I would have guessed at in the beginning. It introduces Wes right from the beginning as a typical male if not a perfect specimen. He is after all cheating on his better half, his infatuation in the beginning got on my ne...more
Christine

Wes Holliday had travelled to his parents’ summer home in Highland Falls to lick his wounds and ponder his next steps. The scion of the wealthy & prestigious Holliday family has just severed a romantic relationship with his girlfriend of 10 years and sold off his successful landscaping business for a cool chunk of change. So why does he feel so lost.
Barely three weeks back in town and Wes finds himself caught up in a torrid affair with Leah, a young beauticia...more
Tracy
I had a bit of trouble getting in to this at first. It was slow and IMO it jumped around a bit. There were times when it felt like when you fast forward just a teeny bit too far in a movie or a TV show, you don't miss a lot but you miss just enough to leave you feeling a little lost. That's how I felt several times while reading this. Something would be said or would happen and it just came out of nowhere, like I had blinked or fast forwarded and missed something. It was hard to get in to but I...more
Mark Soone
I would probably call this 3.25 or 3.5, but since they are not options I went with the 3stars. I won this book as part of a goodreads giveaway (Thanks C.J.!), but that in no way shape or form affected my rating or review of this book.

I had no previous knowledge of this author so I was kind of going in with no preconcieved ideas, and really didn't know what to expect. Based upon the write up I was expecting a sort of romantic/suspense novel....and if forced to choose a genre I would likely call i...more
Cindy
A very predictable book. I pretty much had everything figured out about a fourth of the way into the book. A very slight comparison to Steven King's "Needful Things" and "The Stepford Wives" by Ira Levin. It was kind of a corny book about a close knit community that is being drugged without their knowledge, which causes couples to be compulsively addicted to sex and passion. The lines at the florist shops, candy stores and jewelers are always packed with husbands and boyfriends. The culprit behi...more
Mae R
From this book I learned that sex=love *always* and that it's totally ok for some creepy old dudes to drug hot young chicks into being their love slaves as what else are hot young chicks good for, amirite? Oh, and as a girl, I'd better be able to put out 24/7 otherwise I don't even deserve to be in a relationship. Seriously, CJ West? This book frustrated me on so many levels. From a scientific perspective, creating a "love drug" or a "rage drug" of this manner is just ridiculous. The drug is pas...more
Brenda Whitner
This was an ok book. It starts off with the local sheriff being killed and Wes being appointed sheriff. He only takes the job because he is promised a weeks vacation for him and his girlfriend Leah. Wes has no knowledge of how to be sheriff. He is just going off of what doc tells him to do and others, he kind of bumbles through the job. He is too busy focusing on his sexy girlfriend Leah. As I said the book starts off with the murder of the sheriff and then his crazed wife is found in a shed at...more
T.L. Cooper
Addicted to Love by C. J. West creates a world that seems euphoric except for one minor detail. The basic premise of this story made me squirm in my seat even while the main character sought to figure out the cause behind both the euphoria and the craziness that followed it. Oddly, this exploration of love through an artificial perfection reminded me that given a choice, I'd choose reality over perfection any day. We quickly learn that even bliss has consequences when threatened. West's writing...more
Lori
Spoilers abound.

The 1.5 stars is because the original premise intrigued me - a town full of Stepfordy-couples. It was quickly obvious that the town was being drugged.

I got the creeps early on when Wes' girlfriend was irritated that he was solving a murder rather than boinking her. And that it was more impt for him to boink her nonstop than to get any rest when he was obviously exhausted.

It became predictable quickly, and I was even more creeped out at the thought of all the old me. drugging th...more
Brinda
This was different. The description pretty much sums it up. Something seems off in this town, which is why this book moved to the top of my to-read list when I found it free on Amazon. I wanted to find out what was going on. The plot is compelling enough to make you want to keep reading to find out. Poor Wes was so confused for most of the book, I felt bad for him. I was a bit surprised by the ending. It was worth a read. I will check out other books by this author.
WiLoveBooks
Carmen DeSousa
An enjoyable and original mystery

The story had no problem pulling me in as others complained. The kissing was almost too much at the beginning and had me wondering what type of book I picked up, but then suddenly there's a murder and the suspects are systematically introduced. There was no information dump; Mr. West revealed all the background at the timeframe he chose.

Original concept and the mystery kept you reading.
Kim Bondy
If I could give 2 1/2 stars that would be a good spot to start. I liked the mystery storyline but some of the other elements of the story were pretty over the top. Too much of the story was spent on the obsessive love! I also did not care for how the story wrapped up. If paying for the book, don't waste your money.
Ron Zachgo
Human nature and many problems on this earth are brought to light in this book. The town leaders were aware of the manipulation of human feelings but went along with it because it felt good. The “Hero” wasn’t willing to chance life without the same manipulation he denied everyone else.
Randy
Excellent! Another page turner by CJ West. CJ pulls you right into a story and makes you feel like you are there. This was an amazing tale that took my mind down many paths in trying to solve while reading. And then the surprise ending to boot! Keep them coming CJ!
Carol
Rachel
If you cannot suspend your disbelief, and I mean wrestle it to complete submission, bind and gag it and lock it in a dark room for the duration of reading this book, don't bother. It's really stupid.
Beth
This book had my attention from the opening pages... the story then went somewhat crazy, but something kept me turning the pages. It's different from what I normally prefer, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Heidi R.
C.J. West's Addicted to Love is a great story that slowly builds until you can't put it down. I enjoyed reading it and look forward to reading more stories by C.J. West.
Tina
It was an interesting story. I like books that have me trying to figure out the whodunit, I will admit the ending left something to be desired.
Bam
Interesting storyline; the pace quickens as the ending draws near. I can see this as a made for tv movie.
Jennifer Deutsch
A little unbelievable and did not like the ending...but for the most part an "addicting" (ha ha) read.
Marybeth Kobland
Did not like this book, don't know how to describe it. Just wasn't one for me.
Nikki Rawson
I am sorry I just couldn't get into this book.
  • Innocent Deceptions
  • Scream
  • All the Blue-Eyed Angels (Erin Solomon Pentalogy, #1)
  • The Killing Song
  • Amazon Lily
  • Heaven's Rage
  • The 24th Letter
  • Cross Roads
  • Silent Kills
  • A Taste of Twilight  (Crimson Carousel, #1)
  • Ain't No Sunshine
  • Neon Dragon
  • A Rare Vintage (Wine Country Romance)
  • Play Nice
  • Alchemy
  • Shadows of the Soul
  • Once Was Lost
  • The Butterfly Legacy
CJ West writes thrillers set in New England. CJ has just launched his 7th novel, Dinner At Deadman's, a mystery set in the world of antiques and collectibles.

Vist CJ anytime on Facebook.

CJ's first Randy Black Thriller, Sin & Vengeance, was optioned for film.

A Demon Awaits, the second book in CJ's Randy Black series was published in October 2008. The series takes a surprising turn and readers a...more
More about C.J. West...