Start by marking “Funeral Potatoes” as Want to Read:
Funeral Potatoes

Funeral Potatoes

3.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  182 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews

Sydney hates funerals (overlong programs, creepy corpses, warbly singing). But she loves gooey, cheesy funeral potatoes. And these days, between her ward and neighborhood and extended family, it seems like there’s always a funeral for the Relief Society president to attend. Not fun occasions, of course, but not terribly traumatic either—which is good, considering how crazy

Published 2012 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about Funeral Potatoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Funeral Potatoes

Mary-Ann Muffoletto
Jul 24, 2012 Mary-Ann Muffoletto rated it did not like it
One sentence into Joni Hilton's novel and the author and I are in agreement: "(Funerals) go on too long. An hour is plenty of time to recall a person's high points and to remind everyone of the plan of salvation. Having more than five speakers is ridiculous." Page 3 yields a bonafide recipe for delicious, albeit artery-clogging, funeral potatoes: the uber-comfort food. But beyond page 3, it's a steep downhill slide into self-conscious, "isn't-my-family-so-cute-and-clever" humor. Gag... And, PLEA ...more
Saralyn
Feb 17, 2012 Saralyn rated it liked it
Shelves: mormon-lit
Not my favorite from Joni Hilton, but I did laugh my head off. It was a fun story and had a good point.
Angel Young
May 28, 2012 Angel Young rated it really liked it
Great LDS for a book club read!
Dlora
Mar 14, 2012 Dlora rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction, humor
I need a book category for humor. This book was packed full of it, especially if you are a Mormon woman who makes funeral potatoes. I identified way too much! In addition to the laughs, the author mixed in a lot of good insights about life and what we do to ourselves trying to live up to expectations we've set ourselves. For instance, her definition of what peace really is: "It isn't to be free from anxiety, trials or adversity. It's to rejoice in the gospel and keep our faith during those same ...more
Heather
Jan 08, 2013 Heather rated it did not like it
Recommended to Heather by: SLC Library Website
About a decade ago I was trying to be a good Mormon and in that effort I tried to expose myself to "uplifting media." So, I borrowed some books from my aunt who had a very large library of Mormon fiction. I remember sitting on my sister's couch, reading the opening chapter of that book and thinking, "If this is the type of entertainment I'm expected to enjoy, I will NEVER be able to be a good Mormon." Fast forward a decade and I'm sitting in my office at work, listening to this book on tape, and ...more
Amy
Apr 02, 2012 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, 2012
I've said before that LDS fiction is not my favorite genre to read, so I was expecting to have to grit my teeth through this one. (Why did I feel compelled to read it, you ask. A story for another time...) So whether it was because of my low expectations or something else, it was actually a fun, easy read for the drive home from Colorado. Yes, I felt like all the funeral potatoes references were contrived and forced. Yes, the author seemed to be getting on her own personal soapbox again and agai ...more
Kimber
Sep 23, 2013 Kimber rated it liked it
This was a very fast read, easy to skim lots of parts. It tells the story of an over-achieving Mormon family and how they come to grips with setting their expectations too high. I feel like I married into one of those families, so it was kind of funny to read it for me. The book was slightly exaggerated in how they went over and above (hand sewing and stuffing feather mattresses for the Laurels) but when I compare it to my in-laws, it wasn't that exaggerated. It includes lots of funny references ...more
Shauna
Sep 07, 2012 Shauna rated it it was amazing
I LOVE Joni Hilton's humor.
This book takes an interesting look into families and how they function.
Filled with humor it is fun to read, yet will make you really think about yourself and your family.
I love the Book Club Questions at the end of the book...
Here are a few:

*Do you know any families who are high achievers?
*How do you measure success?
*Does you family place and inordinate amount of focus on appearances?
*Have you ever felt your problems outweigh another person's?
*Is competition healthy,
Lisa the Librarian
Feb 28, 2016 Lisa the Librarian rated it did not like it
I've read other books by this author in the past that were hilarious. I truly enjoyed As the Ward Turns series. I was given Funeral Potatoes as a gift by someone who remembered how much I enjoyed the other series.

I was very disappointed in this book. The humor from the other books is missing, there are a few moments that some some humor but nothing laugh out loud funny. I got really irritated by the main character in this book. She comes across as whiny, controlling and annoying.

Her bother i
Hollie Robb
Jun 26, 2012 Hollie Robb rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
Joni Hilton usually makes me laugh. Not with this book. I felt like she was putting everything wrong w/ society and telling it in her book, but in a...I guess funny way? If you read this be prepared she always talks somehow about funerals and Funeral Potatoes....hence the name Funeral Potatoes.

Hilton does give her recipe for Funeral Potatoes. In the forward she dose state that some the antics/stories that are used in the book did happen. They are retold in a different way in the book.
Roberta
Apr 25, 2014 Roberta rated it it was ok
Shelves: lds-fiction
Maybe I'd bump it up to 2.5 stars for a few life-lessons learned in this book. Otherwise it was just had too many different "funny" "experiences" lined up throughout the whole book. If it was a memoir, the stories might be funny but I felt like it was just a story about all of these hilarious experiences that couldn't all happen to one person! The plot amounted to nothing more than could be summarized in a few sentences.
Teresa
Feb 02, 2014 Teresa rated it really liked it
I think this author is funny the way she views life. However, I did find it ironic that the day I was reading this was also the same day I got a call that my mother only had a few more days to live after a long battle with Alzheimer's. So there will be a funeral and funeral potatoes in my near future too. It was a fun book, mostly comedy mixed with a few deeper, thought provoking moments. LDS themed.
Katie W
Mar 25, 2012 Katie W rated it liked it
Joni Hilton has a way of weaving hilarious things into a story. Funerals are not my favorite things and that's the same with Sydney. Yet, she loves funeral potatoes. She was going through some similar things in her life that I am, so it was fun to see this character laugh at herself, embarrass herself, and cope with things.

The characters weren't deep and this story made for a light, fun read.
Toni
Jun 27, 2012 Toni rated it really liked it
Had just lost someone very dear to me at the time I read this. The humer helped me through a rough time. Little did I know that I would again rely on that humor and the lessons taught when my husband died just 2 months later. Although Joni's books sometimes border on the silly side, they are always good for a laugh and a great stress reliever. Thank you Joni for helping me to maintain my sanity.
Peggy
Jan 17, 2014 Peggy rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up.

I usually don't like humorous books because it seems too forced and not really funny but the main character in this book is just plain funny. It's not preachy but ends with a lesson that is important for many LDS people. That being said, it reaffirms my decision not to have a funeral when I die.
Linda Brough
Jun 26, 2012 Linda Brough rated it liked it
A friend gave me this book to read. It was light and quick. Some of the LDS cultures were humorous but for the most part the book seemed to be trying to hard. It was really a bit cheesey and towards the end it became too preachy. It was an okay book but I could only rate it a 3.
Annissa
May 11, 2012 Annissa rated it did not like it
Oh no, I was so disappointed in this book. I was expecting an easy, fun, humorous read but found it cluttered of mindless chatter with a little humor mixed in. It was a challenge to even get to page 100, then I skipped to the last chapter so that I could cut my losses and move on.
Debbie
Jun 21, 2012 Debbie rated it liked it
It took me a while to read this book. It was good. Sometimes things don't always work out how we want them to. Things will happen when they are supposed to happen. People can change their views and lives when it is least expected. Those are some of the points in this book.
Terrie
Apr 25, 2013 Terrie rated it liked it
At first, I really struggled with the ditzy main character in this book. Everything just seemed too slapstick for my taste, but the conclusions that Sydney makes at the end of the book about what she's learned from funerals are profound.
Jun 13, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
I do think Joni Hilton is funny. it might be taken as good or bad that this book seemed less like a novel and more like somebody telling a bunch of funny anecdotes. There was some really good (I thought) advice packed in there as well.
Kimberly Gardner
Apr 18, 2012 Kimberly Gardner rated it liked it
Very funny read in the beginning but toward the middle/endish it got a little more somber. A good story about a busy mom with lots on her plate, great humor and situations. I recommend it if you want a good laugh.
Sandy
Apr 22, 2014 Sandy rated it liked it
Nice light read to start out my spring break. I loved how I could totally relate to her position on funerals (I too am hoping they throw me a party rather than a boring funeral, I too love Funeral Potatoes)
Jane
Jul 24, 2012 Jane rated it it was ok
Not a whole lot of plot. It made me laugh a few times, but after awhile I was just wondering when it was going to get moving. I would have given this 3 stars but it contained a diatribe that was pro-pantyhose.
Cheri
Feb 22, 2012 Cheri rated it it was ok
Shelves: lds-fiction
Didn't think much of this book. Take a look at how perfect you are and try to change everyone into your way of doing things and don't forget the funeral potatoes.
Kimi
Dec 11, 2014 Kimi rated it really liked it
I normally hate LDS books. I was in kind of a slump and saw this at the library it seemed funny and connectable so I figured it could not hurt. I was very surprised reading this book. It was really funny with great comparisons to church culture. I will say that the plot and story flow was really hard to follow. The author has severe ADD, it does add to the comedy of the story though. I spent the entire book trying to figure out if what she was talking about was important to the story plot or jus ...more
Casey
Mar 09, 2012 Casey rated it it was ok
The stories were pretty funny, but I was some what turned off by the women's attitudes in this book. They took things to the extreme and were often rude.
Lacey
Mar 11, 2012 Lacey rated it liked it
I liked the humor in this book. It was fun. While there wasn't a lot of depth to the characters, and the book felt rushed, it was still a fun read. :)
Norah Baron
Feb 15, 2014 Norah Baron rated it did not like it
Blah I've given up on reading this book. I loved her other books but this one has not gotten my attention and I'm bored reading it.
Alex
Feb 16, 2012 Alex rated it liked it
Shelves: the-gull
why i liked this book can be summarized by this quote found in the first couple chapters...
"fat people are harder to kidnap."
LOVE IT :)
Nicole
Sep 21, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
I have always loved Joni Hilton and wasn't disappointed in Funeral Potatoes. I love how she is able to weave humor with gospel truths.
  • Brianna, My Brother, and the Blog
  • Ties That Bind (Rebekka, #2)
  • Rearview Mirror
  • Christmas Rose
  • A Star in Winter
  • Finding Rose
  • No Angel (Book One)
Joni Hilton is an award-winning playwright, the author of 20 books, and holds a Master of Fine Arts degree in writing from USC. She is frequently published in major magazines and contributes columns to MeridianMagazine.com. She hosts a call-in radio advice show on Saturday mornings on AM-1380 KTKZ (streaming live)at 9 a.m. Pacific Time.
Hilton is a former TV talk show host and TV spokeswoman for va
More about Joni Hilton...