Start by marking “Getting It Right (Life Lessons, #1.8)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Getting It Right

Kaje Harper

Getting It Right (Life Lessons #1.8)

This free short story comes between "And to All a Good Night", and "Breaking Cover."

For Mac, noticing Valentine's Day has meant buying his little daughter Anna something pink, and then forgetting about it. So he's blindsided by the thought that maybe Tony feels differently. Maybe Tony thinks they should do something for each other on Valentine's this year. But Mac has no c
Published February 10th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Getting It Right, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting It Right

Ingela
4 Stars - It's Valentine's Day... just love them..

Quick visit with Tony and Mac. ~ What should you buy your lover for a Valentine's Day gift? Or is it just silly and too romantic?
‘He was going to Tony's place. His secret haven. It would be warm, and if he was lucky something good would be cooking in the crock-pot. Even better would be the heat of Tony's arms around him, and that smile as Tony looked up at him. Every damned time, coming home to all that cracked a little more of the ice around hi
Bev

A really short and steamy tale featuring Mac and Tony from Life Lessons, and what happens on Valentine's Day

Should Mac buy something for Tony...should he get something for Anna...decisions, decisions!! I'll leave it up to you to discover what happens
Marte
Jan 19, 2015 Marte rated it really liked it
Aww, how sweet!
Isabel
Dec 06, 2014 Isabel rated it really liked it
A delicious Valentine's Day for Tony and Mac!!!
Deeze
Another perfect look into Tony and Mac's growing relationship. A valentines so suited to this couple. I love to think that even if Mac never saw the title, he still knew exactly what the statue meant lol.
Ami
Feb 13, 2012 Ami rated it really liked it
While taking "a step back", since this short story about Tony and Mac on Valentine's Day prior to Breaking Cover -- in this story, Mac is still in the closet regarding his relationship with Tony -- but I still find it beautiful.

I love how the two guys are trying to find the "right" present for the other, comes Valentine's Day, and each puts a thought on what the other might like while still having their own characteristic. Mac doesn't want to seem like he's moving to forward by saying I love yo
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Feb 10, 2012 Bubbles Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions rated it really liked it
Shelves: free, m-m
This is from chris, i agree 100%

3.5 stars. Sweet short m/m romance about both Mac and Tony agonizing over what to get the other for Valentine’s Day.

it was well written and good, but i read after book two so this was like taking a step backwards and it wasn't as good as it would have been if i'd read it before book two. If you can read this before book two! it'd be awesome if you just finished book one and read it.
Tina
May 27, 2013 Tina rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime

Aww... what a cute Valentine's short story. It's heartmelting how the relationship between Mac and Tony grows. I love the presents the guys have for each other, especially Mac's. The wolf guarding his mate. A beautiful metapher! Thanks for this awesome freebie!
Monika
Jun 25, 2012 Monika rated it it was amazing
I read this a while ago somehow I forgot to add it to my bookshelves. I love Mac and Tony, so any chance to read about them is great.

This was a great little Valentine story, can't wait for more from these guys!
Anke
Dec 18, 2012 Anke rated it really liked it
What a cute story. I really love these guys - and btw. is there a book by this author not wonderful and endearing? Only too short:))
Mark
May 21, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it
Short, sweet and cute. Mac's partner Oliver is getting ideas, he thinks it's a woman. How long can Mac keep up the pretence? Now on to book two.....
Kendra T
Cool in-between book of Life Lessons and Breaking Cover. It is a sweet Valentine's story where both Mac and Tony debate whether they should get something for the other. This takes place shortly after Life Lessons where they are a strong secret to all of the outside world. While I continue to LOVE Kaje's work and love this series, I can't bring myself to give this 5 stars because Breaking Cover is one of my all time favorite books and I don't like (view spoiler) ...more
Carole Cummings
Feb 22, 2012 Carole Cummings rated it it was amazing
It's always fun to watch grown up boys try to join in the Valentine's reindeer games. Is this romantic? Too romantic? Not romantic enough? Should I even be trying to go with romantic? What if he's not romantic and thinks I suck? So cute. I wanted to pinch their cheeks. I love visiting these guys, and I'm glad the author does too. A lovely short that just whets my appetite for another main course. MORE!

Thank you, Kaje Harper, for sharing this lovely free read. As a fan of Tony and Mac, I apprecia
L-D
Mar 20, 2012 L-D rated it liked it
A nice, free short story to supplement the Life Lessons series. This story takes place over Valentine's Day and I thought it was nice to see Mac and Tony show a little romanticism. I also always sincerely appreciate free reads from the authors. It makes me want to continue buying the rest of the series.
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
I love Tony and Mac.

Having read their entire series, it's interesting to now go this far back into their relationship. The desire, sweetness, and love - Mac, you were slow on the uptake, my friend lol - are all there.

If I couldn't still replay their story in my head, this would make me start a re-read. :D
Chris
Feb 10, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, gay, done, short, free, ebook, 2012
Heather C
Awwww! This was sooo sweet!

Sweet Valentines short with Tony and Mac!! I want more!!

I must add that it felt a little weird reading this after I have already read Breaking Cover.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
I haven't read Breaking Cover (yet!) so I really enjoyed being able to see Tony and Mac figure out what to do for Valentine's day!
Now I'll have to move BC up on my TBR list!
Sara
Oct 19, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
"Guarding my mate" Aaawwww, cried again..
Awilk -never sleeps-
A super quick, but really sweet read. Tony and Mac celebrated Valentines Day.
Gina
Apr 25, 2013 Gina rated it really liked it
another short story after Life Lessons, enjoyed this one
 ♥ Rainy Day Reader ♥
Oct 28, 2016 ♥ Rainy Day Reader ♥ rated it liked it
Shelves: mm
This review is for the Life Lessons Series books 1-4.

It's a bit hard not to compare this series to the A Matter of Time series. There were some major similarities. I absolutely adored that series so I think if I had read this one first I might have liked it better. I did finish reading it mostly out of curiosity to see how it ends.

As far as being a cop mystery, it wasn't one of those ones that you can really try to figure out the outcome from whatever clues are given. Usually the end was kind of
Alex is The Romance Fox
A short read following And to all a Goodnight and here we have Mac & Tony (ooh I just adore these guys!) spending Valentine’s Day…TOGETHER!!!

We go on a shopping trip together as each search for the PERFECT VD present for each other.

Loved seeing them spending time with each other and how their relationship is progressing – deeper, hotter but still “those” obstacles still in their way.

Sweet and lovely. And all along, I just knew that Mac is a romantic at heart. His present for Tony tells it al
Melissa
May 26, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
I liked this short between-take more than the first one! This one focused on the boys and their relationship a little more.

Torn between knowing if Tony wants something for Valentine's Day or not, Mac has a hard time figuring it out. He wants Tony to know he appreciates the shit he puts up with but he's not sure he can call love and the sparkly pink and white and red girly stuff that is mostly meant for females.

He finally finds what he thinks is the right gift for Tony and when he gets home, Ton
Suze
Jan 16, 2015 Suze rated it really liked it
Another short update about Tony and Mac.
Its Valentines, and both guys worry about present buying - Tony making sure anything he does doesn't cause Mac to run for thehills and Mac worrying if Tony will expect something.
Mac's police partner continues to guess about Mac's private life, luckily missing the point so far.
The gifts are suitably low key buy Mac continues to think deeply about his feelings for Tony.
Neet
Mar 29, 2015 Neet rated it really liked it
A short work that find Mac & Tony each trying to find a Valentine's Day gift for each other.Such a sweet and romantic story as each man tries to find a gift that's just right for their relationship.*****Another short story until we get to the second book in the series. This is a sweet Valentines story with our lovely guys, Tony & Mac in search for the perfect gift for each other. 3/29 / 15.
Tara
ORIGINALLY: Read on February 20, 2012
Another little short about Tony & Mac. This one set around Valentine's day so the relationship is a little over 4 months old. It's a cute little check in to se how the guys are doing. And since I haven't read the next book, it really is a check in because I don't know what the next story will bring...
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Adorable. They are such a sweet couple. It was frustrating knowing that since this was s short story, nothing that really affected their relationship could happen and I so wanted them to take it to the next level. Mac's present would have blown me away. It was completely and totally perfect.
Anna D.
Sep 18, 2013 Anna D. rated it liked it
3.5ish

Sweet small valentine peek into Mac & Tony's life.

Both the MCs were adorable worrying about their presents and in the end, they did get it just right!

Oliver was a great character here too.. I look forward to when he finds out the truth...I think it's going to be hilarious!
Karyn
Mar 30, 2015 Karyn rated it it was amazing
This one was freaking adorable. I love these two and i really hope the series continues beyond 3 books - even if it is just snippets like this one giving us glimpses into Mac and Tony's lives.
It's amazing how much emotion Kaje Harper can get into 14 pages.
  • Date Night (Zero at the Bone, #1.1)
  • Sixty Five Hours: The Twelve Days of Christmas (Sixty Five Hours, #1.5)
  • The Stroke of Midnight (PsyCop #3.1)
  • Be a Bad Boy
  • Heatstroke
  • Remnant: A Caldwell & Feximal/Whyborne & Griffin Mystery (The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal, #3; Whyborne & Griffin, #3.5)
  • Just Jory (A Matter of Time #5.5)
  • The Promise (Coda Books #3.5)
  • Harmony (Whyborne & Griffin #5.5)
  • I Am the Highway
  • Lazy Sundays
  • Sucker-Punch
  • The Fix (Whitetail Rock, #2)
  • You Get Full Credit For Being Alive
  • Dine & Dash (Cut & Run, #5.5)
  • Lead Us Not
I live in Minnesota, where the two seasons are Snow-removal and Road-repair, the mosquito is the state bird, and where sometimes in winter it can be breathtakingly beautiful. Of course, the deepfreeze chill contributes to the breath-taking, but Minnesota's a kindly, quiet place and it's home to me now. I've been writing for far longer than I care to admit (*whispers - forty years*), mostly for my ...more
More about Kaje Harper...

Life Lessons (4 books)
  • Life Lessons (Life Lessons, #1)
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • Home Work (Life Lessons, #3)
  • Learning Curve (Life Lessons, #4)