The Parasol Protectorate, Volume 2

The Parasol Protectorate, Volume 2 (Parasol Protectorate #4-5)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Victorian supernatural fantasy has never been funnier or more fashionable than in the hands of Gail Carriger. Now her New York Times bestselling steampunk series comes to a smashing conclusion in our exclusive hardcover omnibus, The Parasol Protectorate Volume 2.

Heartless: A mad ghost is menacing Queen Victoria, and as the soulless Lady Alexia investigates, she and her tru...more
Hardcover, Science Fiction Book Club Omnibus, 512 pages
Published March 1st 2012 by Hachette Book Group USA

Shannon
I can't ever be certain I'm not giving things away, so there is LIKELY RISK OF SPOILER here.

Jane Austin meets Elizabeth Peters with more complex (therefore more appealing) characters. Good romp in mid-Victorian England (with field trips to Scotland, France and Egypt). The Peabody/Emerson trope represented by Alexia Tarabotti, a smart, independent, alpha female, with the power to neutralize immortal powers of werewolves (e.g. Lord Connal Maccon, alpha werewolf of London pack) and vampires ( e.g....more
Aj
In comparison to the first two books, Books 4 & 5l (Heartless & Timeless), where not as good. Book 4 is about on par with book 3 and Book 5 was better, closer to book 1 & 2. These books did not seem to have a much humor as the first two books either. That being said, I still rather enjoyed the books. They just were not as enthralling as the start of the series.

Heartless finds Alexia 8 months pregnant with her infant inconvenience. A unique solution is found to deal with the vampires...more
Vivian
May 15, 2012 Vivian added it
This series, from the very first book of the series is delightfully witty and incredibly smart. After re-reading all five books in this omnibus and the previous, I discovered again why Gail Carriger so completely delighted me with her writing. Not only is it feisty and fun, but the portrayal of Victorian society through the lens of the supernatural provides an excellent analysis of not only the historical era, but also the way our society has evolved from the same.

Alexia is the perfect iconocla...more
Julia Brumfield
Ever since my friend let me borrow the first 3 books as a 3-in-1 I have enjoyed these books without fail while eagerly awaiting for her to finish this 2-in-1 set, which of course are the last in the series.

The fourth book (Heartless) wasn't as good or catching as the other books in my opinion but it did a glorious job acting as a bridge between the other books. Furthermore the characters were all kept fresh, with the same strong personalities and with a wittily wicked sense of humor just like...more
Berrendsci
Nicely completed series.
Michelle
This is one of my new favorite series. I sincerely hope this wasn't the end of it! However, if it is, I'll be okay I suppose since everything tied up so nicely! All my questions were answered and I was pleasantly surprised by several things. It was absolutely amazing and I loved all the characters, especially the Maccon's, Biffy and Akeldama. It was also interesting reading about Prudence considering I, myself, am a mother and could compare toddler antics. It was great!
Enjoyed the whole series
Kelly
What a thrilling conclusion to a fun romp of a series.
Rebecca
See details on my reviews for the two books, Heartless and Timeless.
Susan
Seemed to be a little slower than the first book, but it really picked up toward the end and led you right into wanting to start the third book. Glad I bought the whole set.
Charles
Excellent follow-up to PP volume 1, introduced new generations, continually fast paced and fun. Dear Ms. Carriger...volume 3, please!
Lezlie
Wonderfully intelligent and toungue-in-cheek! Victorian urban-fantasy!
John Landis
Wonderful! Very entertaining, I hope it's made into movies.
Amber
waiting for more...
Ren Thompson
Ren Thompson marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Anna Beck
Anna Beck marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Frank Ross
Frank Ross marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Jun 30, 2014
Elena
Elena added it
Jun 19, 2014
Ni'shell Johnson
Ni'shell Johnson marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Heather Lavallee
Heather Lavallee marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Kristie Ackerman
Kristie Ackerman marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Ms. Carriger writes steampunk urbane fantasy comedies of manners to cope with being raised in obscurity by an expatriate Brit and an incurable curmudgeon. She escaped small town life and inadvertently acquired several degrees in Higher Learning. She then traveled the historic cities of Europe, subsisting entirely on biscuits secreted in her handbag. She now resides in the Colonies, surrounded by a...more
More about Gail Carriger...
Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2) Blameless (Parasol Protectorate, #3) Heartless (Parasol Protectorate, #4) Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1)