Start by marking “Hawaii the Big Island Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Hawaii the Big Island ...

Andrew Doughty

Hawaii the Big Island Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook

4.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,033 Ratings  ·  97 Reviews
The finest guidebook ever written for the Big Island. Now you can plan your best vacation—ever. This all new sixth edition is a candid, humorous guide to everything there is to see and do on the Big Island. Best-selling author and longtime Hawai‘i resident, Andrew Doughty, unlocks the secrets of an island so vast and diverse that many visitors never realize all that it has ...more
Kindle Edition, 6th Edition
Published May 20th 2011 by Wizard Publications, Inc. (first published November 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Hawaii the Big Island Revealed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hawaii the Big Island Revealed

Marlene M Penner
Nov 25, 2014 Marlene M Penner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I have this booked marked with many sticky notes. I'm heading to Hawaii to celebrate my mom-in-laws 75th birthday later this year. I'm very much looking forward to this trip. It looks like it could be my new "most beautiful place on earth" (overtaking Vancouver, B.C.). I have to remember that this trip is not what I can get out of it, but an opportunity to experience Hawaii with my in-laws. I think we'll be able to find some great activities to do. This book does a great job of outlining areas a ...more
Karen
Dec 01, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just left the big island and this book proved to be a awesome guidebook. I'm not a fan of how it's laid out, it's by activity and not by area but the content is spot on. The directions, vibe, timing of your visit, and leaving local hangouts for locals on the weekend was all good info. I'll use this book and others in the series!
Kurt
Mar 28, 2016 Kurt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
This awesome guidebook was indispensable during my five-day visit to the Big Island with my family. It led us to an unforgettable hike in Volcanoes National Park and an almost surrealistic experience at a beautiful and secluded waterfall and swimming hole. Its recommendation for our snorkeling tour was also perfect.

However, I do have an issue with the organization of this book and its relatives (about Oahu and Maui and Kauai). Information about particular activities or attractions seemed spread
Robert
Dec 31, 2013 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, non-fiction, 2013
This is the first time I decided to not use a Lonely Planet guide book for my trip. This book has raving reviews and it is written by someone living on the Big Island so my guess was this would be the best guide book available.

And, in a way, it probably is. Every aspect of the island is discussed. Often with great humor and useful tips. The sometimes brutal honesty of the writer makes it clear that it isn't just trying to "sell" the island but tries to give actual useful information.

My major iss
Tom Bentley
Jul 14, 2015 Tom Bentley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't feel like a big cheater (and small cheaters are charming, right?), but I didn't read this one word-for-word. However, I did check out every page—and some pages many times—before I spent my recent 5 weeks house-sitting on the Big Island, and during that time. This is a rich resource, a smooth combination of history, updated facts and anecdotal asides.

Every recommendation (and they aren't just for expensive touristy things, but for quirky oddnesses too) was solid. One big plus: the writer
Amy
First off, a copy/paste from my previous review on THE ULTIMATE KAUAI GUIDEBOOK by the same author, just replace "THE ULTIMATE KAUAI GUIDEBOOK" with "HAWAII THE BIG ISLAND REVEALED":
This book is clearly geared towards tourists who rely on guidebooks to tell them what to do on their vacation in order to get the most bang for their buck. It certainly beats the other guidebooks of the area, like Lonely Planet or Fodor's, as THE ULTIMATE KAUAI GUIDEBOOK does provide a comprehensive and rather hones
Wendy
Jun 30, 2009 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far we have not only gained excellent knowledge of history on the island and have found some awesome beaches. Maps are way more accurate then the one we bought. Shows when you need 4 wheel drive. Important!

Now that I am finished with it I would say overall it was helpful. However some maps were inacurate and the restaurant reviews were bad.
example: We went to an ONO rated fish place called Jackie Rey's Ohana grill. Fish was really good but I wanted the whole serving for the price we payed. ar
Michele Karmartsang
We used this for everything while on the Big Island. The maps are helpful, although we did buy a road map over there for the detailed "big picture" as the whole island map in the book was too small to realistically show the roads we needed. Everything was as described. We statyed 8 days and that's not enough time to check out everything that sounds interesting, or even all of the "real gems" listed in even one region, but the ones that we did were as described and each a gem in it's own way!
Salsabrarian
You will not be the only one toting this book on the Big Island, guaranteed! I do have to add that while we were in Hawaii, the news reported an increase in the rate of visitor deaths over previous years. One of the possible causes cited is people reading about off-the-beaten-path locales and adventures, which this book does include. However, the authors also advise caution throughout the book. You don't have to do everything the book tells you about, so travel wisely and safely!
Linda
Jul 15, 2009 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can’t help but like a guidebook that makes me laugh. It is chockfull of insider tips and thorough in its coverage with candid commentary. Author, Andrew Doughty, has been criticized by locals for putting places into the book that should have remained private, who may shoot first and ask questions later of tourists ignoring posted trespassing signs. However, as an independent traveler, I really enjoyed and appreciate his willingness to take me to places a bit off the beaten path. However, havin ...more
Sue Hurt
According to everybody, including the authors of this book, Hawaii the Big Island Revealed really is the ultimate guidebook. I did enjoy the easy-going attitude of the writing and the extremely frank opinions shared, but after reading the whole book from cover to cover, I think it should be retitled "Hawaii Boot Camp for Jocks, Daredevils, and Twenty-somethings" because even just reading it was physically exhausting. Every other entry was "climb this, jump off that, hike uphill for an hour to se ...more
Kelsey
Jan 17, 2016 Kelsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the wittiness of Daughty's writing, but dislike the setup of the sections. This book is written as though one is driving through the island. But as just a read for ideas or activities, it is difficult to imagine where each place is located. I was also unimpressed with Daughty's maps as not everything he discussed was labeled. Overall, I enjoyed the humor and real life advice that was in this travel book.
Jessica Rooney
May 27, 2015 Jessica Rooney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best guidebook

This honest and matter-of-fact guidebook is a must have in planning a vacation! I have used Andrew's guidebooks for Maui, Kauai, and Oahu and have been pleased beyond expectation! I have no doubt that my trip to Mona in November will be just as awesome!
Marvin
Oct 07, 2015 Marvin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
I've always liked Doughty's books. I get the latest one whenever I head to Kauai even though I have been there many times. The Big Island book is as good as I would expect based on my experience with the Kauai book.

The only negative comment I have is about the format I bought, I got the kindle version. There are several types of books that just don't work well in electronic format, one is cookbooks because the page layout is often lost and to that I will add travel books. This is because you ca
Becky Straub
Aug 11, 2015 Becky Straub rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite series of guidebooks for all the Hawaiian islands. This is the 4th I've bought! Interesting and anonymously reviewed, I love the humor and integrity. Looking forward to our trip next month!
Sylvester
Feb 21, 2011 Sylvester rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is the kind of guide book your best friend would write - with her honest opinion (don't go here, it's not worth your time; don't miss this, you'll regret it), a lot of humour, and interesting tidbits of history all thrown together. Without this book we would have missed so many of the little unmarked treasures like Kiholo Beach, with it's sunbathing turtles and Queen's Bath, or Pawai Bay with it's wonderful snorkeling, or the lava pool beside the ocean in Puna which was completely wild and ...more
Lissa
Jan 30, 2016 Lissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily the best guidebook for the Big Island of Hawaii. Read it cover to cover before our trip, and before we left, bought the Kindle version and used it every day. Highly recommend!
Amy
Jul 07, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read several books for our upcoming trip to Hawaii, and this one was definitely more in-depth and useful. There is excellent web content as well. The other books discuss all of the islands, so if you are only visiting one, then only a small portion of those books applies. This one is for only the big island, so it goes into much greater depth and provides very useful information, like the cheapest places to rent snorkel equipment, restaurant recommendations for each area, etc.
Matt Silva
Rebecca Ingram
Jul 27, 2014 Rebecca Ingram rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so useful on our trip to the big island. It became sort of our travel bible. The information was accurate and useful.
Dianna Winget
Nov 05, 2015 Dianna Winget rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great, informative guidebook presented in an honest and humorous style. I definitely plan to take it with me on our upcomong trip to Kona
Aftan
Feb 09, 2015 Aftan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely fantastic! This has been so helpful in planning my trip. Well worth the purchase price and then some!
anne
Jan 27, 2008 anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the best guidebook on the Big Island, hands-down, and the one that pretty much everyone visiting the island seems to be following, even when they're going off the beaten path. Check out this book for a really good, still somewhat secret hike out to the backside of the erupting Pu'u'o'o vent, and thorough information on hiking and camping in the lesser populated areas. Lots of good color photos and maps too. The only drawback is that I didn't really understand the order the book "traveled ...more
Heather
Fodor's Hawaii book is my preference, but great insight tips none the less.
Christa
This is a super useful and easy-to-read book in terms of figuring out what there is on the Big Island, but I totally messed up and got a 7-year-old edition. I may need to get a newer one because I'm not confident this info is still valid. After all, there are VOLCANOES EXPLODING on the island, which can modify tourism pretty significantly. Anyway, it's a good read, written by people who live in Hawaii, and has a bunch of less-touristy touristy stuff to do in it (locations of lava tubes that aren ...more
Betsy Whitmer
Primo guide book to the largest of the Hawaiian islands, Hawai'i.
Micah McCarty
Feb 21, 2016 Micah McCarty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exactly how a guidebook should be written.
Sara
Dec 22, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was fabulous! I figured I would use it for a reference, but ended up reading it through - tons of information and highlights for a Big Island trip. I did a number of the hikes and appreciated the recommendations for places to stop or points of interest along a drive. Found myself laughing outright at parts (I'm sure the people on the plane thought I was nuts).

It made my trip so much better, and I ran into a number of other vacationers who also thought it was a fantastic must-have!
Perry
Sep 06, 2008 Perry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is traveling to hawaii
Recommended to Perry by: friends who own a condo in hawaii
If you plan on traveling to hawaii, this book is a must. There is one for all the islands and the information is fantastic. I have recommended it to most of my friends and they all say it is the best travel book for Hawaii. This one focuses on the big island. Of course, I didn't agree with everything they recommended but almost everything was dead on. The book is very well written and is easy to read. There are wonderful maps and tips for beaches and snorkeling are great.

Judee
Jan 14, 2015 Judee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! Even better is the app that gives you directions to the places you are reading about. This is a must have for any visit to the Big Island.
  • Shoal of Time: A History of the Hawaiian Islands
  • Fodor's Hawaii 2007
  • Braving Home: Dispatches from the Underwater Town, the Lava-Side Inn, and Other Extreme Locales
  • Waking Up in Eden: In Pursuit of an Impassioned Life on an Imperiled Island
  • Rick Steves' London 2007 (Rick Steves' City and Regional Guides)
  • 100 Countries, 5,000 Ideas: Where to Go, When to Go, What to See, What to Do
  • A Sense of Place: Great Travel Writers Talk About Their Craft, Lives, and Inspiration
  • Travel Writing: See the World. Sell the Story.
  • Celebration, U.S.A.: Living in Disney's Brave New Town
  • Holy Days: The World Of The Hasidic Family
  • A Field Guide to Wildflowers: Northeastern and North-central North America
  • MySQL Cookbook
  • Six Months in the Sandwich Islands: Among Hawaii's Palm Groves, Coral Reefs and Volcanoes
  • Off the Eaten Path: Favorite Southern Dives and 150 Recipes that Made Them Famous (Southern Living)
  • The Eyewitness Handbook of Trees (Eyewitness Handbooks)
  • Myths of Motherhood: How Culture Reinvents the Good Mother
  • Sons of the Profits: There's No Business Like Grow Business. The Seattle Story, 1851-1901
  • Southeast Asia on a Shoestring (Lonely Planet on a Shoestring)