Start by marking “De onsterfelijke diepvriesmens” as Want to Read:
De onsterfelijke diepvriesmens

De onsterfelijke diepvriesmens

Nog 600 jaar en de mens is onsterfelijk geworden! Dank zij superieure medische wetenschap is iedereen die doodgaat slechts een patiënt die spoedig weer verder kan leven, gezond en wel.
In deze wereld ontwaakt Charles D. Forrester, 596 jaar oud, in het bezit van 250.000 dollar. Klaar om een nieuw leven te beginnen. Maar, hij heeft de grootste moeite om aan de gewoonten van
Mass Market Paperback, SF 34, 192 pages
Published 1971 by Born (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about De onsterfelijke diepvriesmens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about De onsterfelijke diepvriesmens

Denis
Dec 28, 2013 Denis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardcover
Frederik Phol’s “The Age of the Pussyfoot, (1969 and shorter Magazine version 1965)” is not regarded, or referred to, as are his collaborations with Cyril Kornbluth, such as “The Space Merchants,” and his excellent Gateway series, though, perhaps it ought to be as it is also an excellent example of the subtle cynical satire he and Kornbluth are known for.

Often, the genesis of a sf novel comes from an inspiration set off by a new scientific discovery or the development of a new technology. The au
Michael Hagerty
Mar 31, 2011 Michael Hagerty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've never been much of a sci-fi reader. My loss. I wonder what I would have thought of this book in 8th grade, when it was new. I'm sure I would have found it engaging and fun...it's certainly that. But how much of the details would I have dismissed as pure fantasy?

Pohl writes of devices, pharmaceuticals, policies and morality so clearly not of the time he wrote this (1968) that he pushed the setting of his story 500 years into the future...yet a mere 43 years later, a lot of it is already here
Manny
Jan 23, 2009 Manny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
He wakes up after having been frozen for two hundred years, and has to get used to 23rd century society. The acclimatization isn't all straightforward. They fix him up with a job, and he asks what his salary is going to be.

"A bit over two million dollars a week," they tell him. He's pleased! "Oh no," they say, concerned, "that's rock-bottom minimum. You simply can't get by on less than two million."

As you can see, a logical projection of current trends in Western society...
Daniel
Sep 09, 2012 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fred Pohl was more an editor than an author in his own right around the time The Age of the Pussyfoot was published, but this book shows just what a crackerjack writer he was (and remains!).*

Sticking to a satirical vein he explored with frequent collaborator C.M. Kornbluth in the '50s, Pohl uses the ever convenient plot device of suspended animation to plop a mid-20th century American fire-fighter in the world of the 26th century. What follows is a deftly and breezily (though never vapidly) wri
Patty
Jun 10, 2011 Patty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Frederik Pohl. His insights amaze me. I didn't love this as much as Gateway and his entire Heechee Saga series of books, but I liked it a lot. This is a quick read and an interesting point of view of what he thought 2008 would look like, from a 1968 perspective. While he set the book in the year 2527, in the afterward he said he actually thought we were about 50 years away from this "future." He wrote the book in 1968, and he got a great deal right about where are we today. Impressive!
Bryan
Jan 24, 2010 Bryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Want me to define disjointedness with an example? Look at the cover of the Del Rey edition of this novel... And now flip open to the introduction where Pohl writes how he is hopeful that this novel might be read by the general public at large (not just SF fans). And back to the cover again which features a many-tentacled alien in a spaceship.

The Age of the Pussyfoot by Frederik Pohl

But despite the fact that publishers didn't expect this book to appeal to the mainstream, Pohl certainly hoped it might.

The book scores early when the pro
João Sousa
Jan 30, 2016 João Sousa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: argonauta
In my opinion Pohl was the weakest link of the well-known collaboration with C. M. Kornbluth, but still I think that this book is quite solid to deserve a read. It has some few psychedelic elements here and there, although sometimes plot develops too quickly with no time for the reader to wander in this chaotic future world.
Nick Heyns
Dec 22, 2015 Nick Heyns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, mind spinning ideas. Only book that I read that predicted how crazy people of the future will be about their cell phones. He called them "Joymakers" and people could not live without them. All other Science Fiction books were talking about moon bases and holidays on Mars. Frederik Pohl actually scored a hole in one with this prediction. I read his other books, whenever I can find them, with great interest because of this story.
Ilya
Dec 24, 2010 Ilya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
A technical writer and volunteer fireman dies in 1969, is frozen, and is revived in 2512. He has various adventures, and gets involved with the Sirians (sic - not Syrians!) who are at war with Earthlings. In 2512 there is a device called the joymaker, which is an AI-equipped cell phone that can stimulate its owner's nervous system directly; it does not appear as fantastic in the age of USB-powered vibrators and electric shock-giving Xbox mods, as it did in 1969.
Ümit
Dağınık ve anafikirsiz bir roman bence. Neye odaklanacağını şaşırmış. Uzunca bir süre 600 sene sonrasının dünyasını ve onun farklarını anlatmaya çalışırken sonunda alakasız bir yere kaymaya çabalamış. Pek sevmedim.
Jason
Mar 25, 2015 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Speculative science fiction fans
I bought and read “The Age of the Pussyfoot” in 2001, shortly after moving into my first apartment. I heard that it was part of the inspiration for a video game I was a big fan of, “System Shock”. I remember thinking the book was strange, and some disappointment in that it is nothing like “System Shock”, but it’s also interesting. I recently decided to pick it up again.

SUMMARY
Charles Forrester was a volunteer fire fighter who was killed in the year 1969. By the year 2527 the damage by the fire c
Sifra
Dec 23, 2015 Sifra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The beginning is very engaging. Pohl dragged me in immediately, and I kept turning pages until suddenly the story had ended. I loved the fact that even tough the main character learned more about the age he found himself in as the story progressed, I kept wondering what the hell was going on at every plot twist.
I had read a couple of chapters when it suddenly dawned to me that we already have something resembling joymakers: our smartphones may not yet have all the capablities the joymakers from
Smoothw
Apr 05, 2013 Smoothw rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vintage-sf
An interesting 'sleeper awakens' tale that kind of reminded me of the movie sleeper except taken a little more seriously. Slightly unique in that it does does posit a future where everyone carries around a personal computer, and a knowledge industry post-work type economy, very much of its time in that the future is basically full of hippies. Legalized and ritualized killing, and everyone wearing skimpy clothes and goofy hair seemed very 60's to me. I initially heard about this book through a Wa ...more
Emmi
Jun 05, 2011 Emmi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was a kid and out of all the science fiction books I read (and there were MANY) this is one I remembered. Human society in the 26th century is controlled by ubiquitous networked computers, including one each person carries called a joymaker, which is a combination of ID, credit card, network interface, smartphone, and drug dispensary.

From 1969. Pretty impressive projection. And in other ways weird and yet not that badly dated.
Marianne
Feb 06, 2013 Marianne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gone, sci-fi
An interesting forward look at what future gadgets and mores could do, based on extrapolations from the 60s. The understandable but constant confusion of the lead character reduce the drama, as he is always trying to understand what's going on now, and reacting often blindly. A fast read and an okay pulp sci-fi.
Donald Losey
Aug 18, 2015 Donald Losey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic time travel via deep freeze, no need to go into details, what really grabbed me about this was the idea of ubiquitous personal assistants known as Joymakers, which future persons use for basically everything, quite similar to smart phones. Funny and at times refreshingly bleak.
Deedee
OMG, in chapter 4, Frederik Pohl describes an ipod! This novel was first published in 1969, years before the Internet, and he describes an ipod. Wow!

Still reading -- more complete review later --
Zarathustra Goertzel
A fun, quick tale of a revived man bumbling through a future civilization. I liked the characters and how they toyed with him while showing him the ropes. I especially like the joymaker's personality (the computer that oversees everything).
Jonathan
Speculative future, silly.
Babete
Jun 12, 2014 Babete rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Já o tinha lido há alguns anos mas a escrita deste autor continua a ser um prazer renovado e intemporal!
BoekenTrol
Feb 09, 2012 BoekenTrol marked it as not_read_only_released
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: Moem
From one of the book boxes that Moem sent to me.
This is not really my genre, so now I've found a new home for it, it'll move house again to a new reader.
John
Dec 27, 2008 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book
Otto
Endearing but deepy pessimistic, a future tale of people unable to tell if they're happy or not, and can't be bothered to stand against forces that threaten to destroy them.
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2013
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Farzana
Farzana rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Terry
Terry rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2013
Macy Grant
Macy Grant rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2016
Ekos
Ekos rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Geoffrey Burns
Geoffrey Burns rated it it was ok
Aug 26, 2014
  • Starshine
  • Plague from Space
  • Deep Quarry
  • Starswarm
Frederik George Pohl, Jr. was an American science fiction writer, editor and fan, with a career spanning over seventy years. From about 1959 until 1969, Pohl edited Galaxy magazine and its sister magazine IF winning the Hugo for IF three years in a row. His writing also won him three Hugos and multiple Nebula Awards. He became a Nebula Grand Master in 1993.
More about Frederik Pohl...