Start by marking “Competing for the Future” as Want to Read:
Competing for the Future

Competing for the Future

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  2,058 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
New competitive realities have ruptured industry boundaries, overthrown much of standard management practice, and rendered conventional models of strategy and growth obsolete. In their stead have come the powerful ideas and methodologies of Gary Hamel and C.K. Prahalad, whose much-revered thinking has already engendered a new language of strategy. In this book, they develo ...more
Published April 1st 1996 by Harvard Business Review Press (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Competing for the Future, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Competing for the Future

Omar Halabieh
Mar 31, 2012 Omar Halabieh rated it it was amazing
As best summarized by the authors this book is about: "The goal of this book then can be simply stated: to help managers imagine the future and, having imagined it, create it. We want to help them get off the restructuring treadmill and get beyond the reengineering programs that simply rev up today's performance. We want to help them capture the riches that the future holds in store for those who get there first."

This book truly and thoroughly re-defines what strategy is and how it can be levera
Michael
Nov 05, 2011 Michael rated it it was ok
It is an okey book to read but it is very focused on big enterprises and their activities which makes it lose a bit value from my point of view.
I liked the ideas of the book and it has some good points. However, sometimes it felt like it took one chapter to explain something that could have been said more quickly. In a similar manner they use a lot of examples and I think repeat them at times in different chapters.

All in all, it was an interesting read and they have really nice ideas. Even thoug
Noric Dilanchian
Mar 30, 2016 Noric Dilanchian rated it it was amazing
One of the best business books I've ever read.
Todd
May 08, 2009 Todd rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 100-best
This book was included in my book: The 100 Best Business Books of All Time. www.100bestbiz.com
Nanda Rajanala
Dec 13, 2014 Nanda Rajanala rated it really liked it
This book is all about "core competence", a term coined by the authors (Gary Hamel and C.K. Prahalad) several years before and had become an industry buzz word. I liked the book as it tried to elevate strategy to a different status, a more positive one, in the eyes of companies.

It was however surprising that nothing much has changed the shape and face of what strategy is in companies since the time this book was written. Strategy is still considered a burden in several organizations and consulti
David
Sep 02, 2008 David rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who wants to use their brain
This is the best book on the big picture I've ever read (to date - Sept. 2007). The authors elaborate on REAL strategic thinking, not the 5-10 year junk that is SO prevalent in business and Christian literature (not that this is a Christian book by any means).

Real strategy that needs a good 10 to 50 years to germinate. Strategy that goes after goals that there is, currently, NO way to achieve! Sweet. Imagine wanting to get real-time, full audio-video communication between any two people in the w
Dương Long
Dec 04, 2016 Dương Long rated it it was amazing
Cẩm nang rất hay cho công ty khởi nghiệp
Lamech Mariita
Jan 06, 2013 Lamech Mariita rated it it was amazing
The book is a good introduction to some important strategic concepts. Although it is no longer required reading at top consulting firms, it is still relevant and important. The book was very interesting. Hamel and Prahalad focused on the three most important areas that can determine a company's success: core competencies, resources and capabilities. I think it's an important book to read.
Redza Ali
Dec 09, 2013 Redza Ali rated it it was ok
The core message is 'Worry about the future'.

The book asks key questions to help leaders examine their organization: are we innovating enough? are we just following others? are we spending time on creating new products/markets? do we know what we're good at? do we understand our strategic direction and where it'll take us? etc etc
Brian
Nov 11, 2008 Brian rated it really liked it
Businesses rarely spend enough time focused on the future; the Board and CEO should be creating markets for products that will be available a couple years out, and the strategy should be at least five years into the future.
Matt Mayevsky
May 21, 2015 Matt Mayevsky rated it it was amazing
Competing for the Future is a must read for every manager and entrepreneur who wants to change the world. The book does not provide ready-made recipe to catch up with the future, this book teaches you how to think about the future. I highly recommend it.
Charlie
May 22, 2016 Charlie rated it it was amazing
How to think like an entrepreneurial non-profit. I have not see any other book re non-profit management & leadership that is this helpful to explore how to expand your current "business" and to create new and additional programs/services.
Kevin Altman
Jul 09, 2013 Kevin Altman rated it it was amazing
Another great follow up by Gary Hamel! How to remain competitive and relevant as a leader in a new and innovative world.
Dennis ILIN
Oct 20, 2016 Dennis ILIN rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish to have read it earlier.

There are many books in this revolutionary one. It generates many ideas to build a meaningful business and helps to find purpose in our actions.
Rae
Nov 06, 2012 Rae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Not sure why this doesn't show? This book is: Competing for the Future - Gary Hamel and C.K Prahalad
May
Sep 29, 2016 May added it
Shelves: business
An interesting book about corporate vision and a framework by which to begin to evaluate it. An interesting book for those trying to navigate corporations and identify growth opportunities.
J
Aug 11, 2011 J rated it it was amazing
This book has a lot of great insights. It was written 17 years ago but it has many things that are still valid today. A must read for a manager.
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 Lori Grant rated it it was amazing
A must-read book on competition for knowledge workers who want to be in executive role and entrepreneurs.
Catherine Wu
Catherine Wu rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2016
Suryamandiriteknik
Suryamandiriteknik rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2015
Mike Norton
Mike Norton rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Dscjint
Dscjint rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2011
Yuriy Chernyavskyy
Yuriy Chernyavskyy rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2012
Nina Santos
Nina Santos rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2014
Kay-Jel Smithen
Kay-Jel Smithen rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2016
Aditya Shastri
Aditya Shastri rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2016
Amernussierat
Amernussierat rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2015
Henry Robben
Henry Robben rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2014
Paul Gladen
Paul Gladen rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Gaurav Nagrani
Gaurav Nagrani rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2015
  • The Age of Unreason
  • Discovering the Soul of Service: The Nine Drivers of Sustainable Business Success
  • Reengineering the Corporation: A Manifesto for Business Revolution (Collins Business Essentials)
  • The Leadership Moment: Nine True Stories of Triumph and Disaster and Their Lessons for Us All
  • Toyota Production System: Beyond large-scale production
  • The Balanced Scorecard: Translating Strategy into Action
  • Questions of Character: Illuminating the Heart of Leadership Through Literature
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge into Action
  • Control Your Destiny or Someone Else Will
  • The Human Side of Enterprise
  • Jump Start Your Business Brain: Scientific Ideas and Advice That Will Immediately Double Your Business Success Rate
  • My Years with General Motors
  • Competitive Advantage: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance
  • How to Be a Star at Work: 9 Breakthrough Strategies You Need to Succeed
  • Strategy Safari: A Guided Tour Through The Wilds of Strategic Management
  • The Power of Intuition: How to Use Your Gut Feelings to Make Better Decisions at Work
  • Intellectual Capital: The new wealth of organization
Dr. Gary P. Hamel is an American management expert. He is a founder of Strategos, an international management consulting firm based in Chicago.

Gary Hamel is Professor of Strategic Management at London Business School. He has researched strategy development in a multinational context.
More about Gary Hamel...

“All of us are prisoners, to one degree or another, of our experience.” 2 likes
“There’s no such thing as “sustaining” leadership; it must be reinvented again and again.” 2 likes