Start by marking “Competing for the Future” as Want to Read:
Competing for the Future

Competing for the Future

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1,907 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
New competitive realities have ruptured industry boundaries, overthrown much of standard management practice, and rendered conventional models of strategy and growth obsolete. In their stead have come the powerful ideas and methodologies of Gary Hamel and C.K. Prahalad, whose much-revered thinking has already engendered a new language of strategy. In this book, they develo ...more
Published April 1st 1996 by Harvard Business Review Press (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Competing for the Future, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Competing for the Future

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThink and Grow Rich by Napoleon HillGood to Great by James C. CollinsGetting Things Done by David Allen
Best Business Books
133rd out of 570 books — 1,060 voters
The Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesCrucial Conversations by Kerry PattersonLittle Bets by Peter SimsMade to Stick by Chip HeathTaking Smart Risks by Doug Sundheim
Best Books on Risk Taking
7th out of 31 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

Omar Halabieh
Mar 31, 2012 Omar Halabieh rated it it was amazing
As best summarized by the authors this book is about: "The goal of this book then can be simply stated: to help managers imagine the future and, having imagined it, create it. We want to help them get off the restructuring treadmill and get beyond the reengineering programs that simply rev up today's performance. We want to help them capture the riches that the future holds in store for those who get there first."

This book truly and thoroughly re-defines what strategy is and how it can be levera
Nov 05, 2011 Michael rated it it was ok
It is an okey book to read but it is very focused on big enterprises and their activities which makes it lose a bit value from my point of view.
I liked the ideas of the book and it has some good points. However, sometimes it felt like it took one chapter to explain something that could have been said more quickly. In a similar manner they use a lot of examples and I think repeat them at times in different chapters.

All in all, it was an interesting read and they have really nice ideas. Even thoug
May 08, 2009 Todd rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 100-best
This book was included in my book: The 100 Best Business Books of All Time.
Noric Dilanchian
Mar 30, 2016 Noric Dilanchian rated it it was amazing
One of the best business books I've ever read.
Nanda Rajanala
Dec 13, 2014 Nanda Rajanala rated it really liked it
This book is all about "core competence", a term coined by the authors (Gary Hamel and C.K. Prahalad) several years before and had become an industry buzz word. I liked the book as it tried to elevate strategy to a different status, a more positive one, in the eyes of companies.

It was however surprising that nothing much has changed the shape and face of what strategy is in companies since the time this book was written. Strategy is still considered a burden in several organizations and consulti
Sep 02, 2008 David rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who wants to use their brain
This is the best book on the big picture I've ever read (to date - Sept. 2007). The authors elaborate on REAL strategic thinking, not the 5-10 year junk that is SO prevalent in business and Christian literature (not that this is a Christian book by any means).

Real strategy that needs a good 10 to 50 years to germinate. Strategy that goes after goals that there is, currently, NO way to achieve! Sweet. Imagine wanting to get real-time, full audio-video communication between any two people in the w
Oluwole Oke
Feb 14, 2016 Oluwole Oke rated it liked it
Lamech Mariita
Jan 06, 2013 Lamech Mariita rated it it was amazing
The book is a good introduction to some important strategic concepts. Although it is no longer required reading at top consulting firms, it is still relevant and important. The book was very interesting. Hamel and Prahalad focused on the three most important areas that can determine a company's success: core competencies, resources and capabilities. I think it's an important book to read.
Redza Ali
Dec 09, 2013 Redza Ali rated it it was ok
The core message is 'Worry about the future'.

The book asks key questions to help leaders examine their organization: are we innovating enough? are we just following others? are we spending time on creating new products/markets? do we know what we're good at? do we understand our strategic direction and where it'll take us? etc etc
Matt Mayevsky
May 21, 2015 Matt Mayevsky rated it it was amazing
Competing for the Future is a must read for every manager and entrepreneur who wants to change the world. The book does not provide ready-made recipe to catch up with the future, this book teaches you how to think about the future. I highly recommend it.
May 22, 2016 Charlie rated it it was amazing
How to think like an entrepreneurial non-profit. I have not see any other book re non-profit management & leadership that is this helpful to explore how to expand your current "business" and to create new and additional programs/services.
Nov 11, 2008 Brian rated it really liked it
Businesses rarely spend enough time focused on the future; the Board and CEO should be creating markets for products that will be available a couple years out, and the strategy should be at least five years into the future.
Sep 29, 2016 May added it
Shelves: business
An interesting book about corporate vision and a framework by which to begin to evaluate it. An interesting book for those trying to navigate corporations and identify growth opportunities.
Aug 11, 2011 J rated it it was amazing
This book has a lot of great insights. It was written 17 years ago but it has many things that are still valid today. A must read for a manager.
Kevin Altman
Jul 09, 2013 Kevin Altman rated it it was amazing
Another great follow up by Gary Hamel! How to remain competitive and relevant as a leader in a new and innovative world.
Nov 06, 2012 Rae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Not sure why this doesn't show? This book is: Competing for the Future - Gary Hamel and C.K Prahalad
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 Lori Grant rated it it was amazing
A must-read book on competition for knowledge workers who want to be in executive role and entrepreneurs.
Samuel Nolley
Jan 31, 2012 Samuel Nolley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
Goodreads lost it - but this is "Competing for the Future" by Gary Hamel and C.K. Prahalad
Jul 23, 2012 Nipun rated it really liked it
Amazing amazing information on business strategy
Avance MBA
Oct 22, 2012 Avance MBA added it
Shelves: classics
Suomeksi nimellä: Kilpajuoksu tulevasta
Jun 22, 2012 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Max Lincoln
Max Lincoln rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2016
Keerthi B
Keerthi B rated it really liked it
Glynda Ortega
Glynda Ortega marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2016
John rated it did not like it
Jaques Rudolph
Jaques Rudolph rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2016
Haj rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2016
Maciek Szwarc
Maciek Szwarc marked it as to-read
Jessica Woods
Jessica Woods marked it as to-read
Miguel Poeira
Miguel Poeira is currently reading it
  • The Age of Unreason
  • Discovering the Soul of Service: The Nine Drivers of Sustainable Business Success
  • Reengineering the Corporation: A Manifesto for Business Revolution
  • The Leadership Moment: Nine True Stories of Triumph and Disaster and Their Lessons for Us All
  • Toyota Production System: Beyond large-scale production
  • The Balanced Scorecard: Translating Strategy into Action
  • Questions of Character: Illuminating the Heart of Leadership Through Literature
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge into Action
  • Control Your Destiny or Someone Else Will
  • The Human Side of Enterprise
  • Jump Start Your Business Brain: Scientific Ideas and Advice That Will Immediately Double Your Business Success Rate
  • My Years with General Motors
  • Competitive Advantage: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance
  • How to Be a Star at Work: 9 Breakthrough Strategies You Need to Succeed
  • Strategy Safari: A Guided Tour Through The Wilds of Strategic Mangament
  • The Power of Intuition: How to Use Your Gut Feelings to Make Better Decisions at Work
  • Intellectual Capital: The new wealth of organization
Dr. Gary P. Hamel is an American management expert. He is a founder of Strategos, an international management consulting firm based in Chicago.

Gary Hamel is Professor of Strategic Management at London Business School. He has researched strategy development in a multinational context.
More about Gary Hamel...

“All of us are prisoners, to one degree or another, of our experience.” 2 likes
“There’s no such thing as “sustaining” leadership; it must be reinvented again and again.” 2 likes