Start by marking “The Quilt” as Want to Read:
The Quilt

The Quilt

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  73 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
A small African-American girl is overjoyed with the new patchwork quilt her parents have made. As she sleeps, it comes alive, turning into a fantastical dreamscape she must enter in order to find her beloved stuffed dog. An ALA Notable Children's Book. Full color.
Paperback
Published July 1st 1994 by Puffin (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Quilt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quilt

Janet
Quilt stories are always good, but the story and illustrations are really more about the girl's dream.
Tichina Fung-chung
I'll never forget when a student-teacher in my kindergarten class gave me this book. I used to read it all the time and I loved it so much that I would take picture walks through the book because the pictures were so detailed and inviting. The story is about a little girl who takes the patches in her quilt and brings them to life with her imagination. A great lesson would be to have each student create their own personal quilts after reading the story.
Jill
Aug 05, 2010 Jill rated it it was ok
The beginning was cute and all nostalgic and made me want to start keeping some of my kids clothes instead of donating them to the DI or handing them down to the next relative in line. And then the story continued...and it morphs into a horrible dream. My three-year-old was looking at the book with confusion. So was I. A good idea but as a whole - not a favorite.
Connie
Nov 07, 2009 Connie rated it liked it
The text is simple enough that a young child should be able to read it, so this book might work very well in a kindergarten, first grade, or even second grade classroom.

However, I don't really like the pictures, personally. This is a matter of taste, but all the same... I think I'm going to donate this to my niece's school.
Monalisa Johnson-brown
Sally owned a quilt that was big enough to cover her whole body. She had a dog that she liked very much and one day the dog could not find her. He went looking for her outside, at the zoo, circus, and the tunnel and the ocean. He finslly came back home and found her tucked under her blanket.
Polly
I adored this book as a child. The creepiness of the long tunnel and the way the quilt turns into scenery stayed with me into adulthood, and I was so delighted to discover it again a few years ago!
Paula
It might be a difficult book for story time, and needs some explaining but it is a cute story
A child's new patchwork quilt recalls old memories and provides new adventure at bedtime.
Daniel
Nov 30, 2012 Daniel rated it liked it
I like the way Ann reminds the reader that a quilt is, among other things, a patchwork of memories; and those memories can be a doorway to creating new memories . . . real or imagined.
Larry Carter
I think this book is great for the first day of.school when things are new and scary however once you move past it everything is ok.
Lesley
Jul 26, 2009 Lesley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story shows a quilt with family history and a little girl with a good imagination. The illustrations are nice as well.
Sandra
Mar 07, 2010 Sandra rated it really liked it
A little girl reminisces of times passed as well as imagined adventures all of which are inspired from her new patchwork quilt.
Rachel Chandler
This is a good book to talk to kids about their dreams and how they can take them to all kinds of different places.
Cheryl
Mar 12, 2011 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cheryl by: El Paso Library
Quaint, heartwarming story with bright illustrations that support the text well. It was really sweet.
Lindsay
May 09, 2009 Lindsay rated it really liked it
quilts - a girl's imaginative adventure on a quilt as her memory is prompted by the different quilt squares
Amy
Apr 30, 2012 Amy rated it it was ok
Shelves: reading-rainbow
Reading Rainbow: The Patchwork Quilt
Kinda weird actually!
Theresa
Aug 29, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
the dreams a child can come up with about her quilt
Lisa
Jul 10, 2012 Lisa rated it it was ok
This story gave me a panic attack :o(
jenna nims
Sep 29, 2008 jenna nims rated it it was amazing
gorgeous illustrations of the fabrics
Mckinley
Jan 23, 2014 Mckinley rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, craft, heroine, sew
Imagination at it's best.
Jael
Jael rated it it was ok
Apr 12, 2016
Ariah
Ariah added it
Apr 06, 2016
Racheal
Racheal rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Sonia Allison
Sonia Allison rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2016
Jen Rebmann
Jen Rebmann rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016