Start by marking “On Earth As It Is In Heaven” as Want to Read:
On Earth As It Is In Heaven

On Earth As It Is In Heaven

Life here in mortality has a generous number of challenges for every one of us, and frequently we find ourselves longing for some of the peacefulness and safety of heaven. The Savior expressed not only the wish of his own heart but also that of every one of his disciples when he prayed to his Father, "Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven." Until w

221 pages
Published August 1st 2007 by Deseret Book Company (first published September 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about On Earth As It Is In Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Earth As It Is In Heaven

Jun 28, 2009 Sasha rated it it was amazing
I bought this book for the section, "Of Souls, Symbols and Sacraments," Elder Holland's remarkable BYU talk on chastity. It is definitive. EVERYONE should read it. FINALLY, someone addresses the WHY instead of just the what. I so wish I had heard of this as a teenager and certainly before marriage and children. Just puts everything into the beautiful, meaningful context for which it is intended. It will definitely be required reading for my older teens.

The rest of the book is also edifying and i
Jan 06, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing

My RS Pres. gave me this for a wedding gift. I love it. It is still is one of the few things I have of wedding gifts. Glasses break over the years, you eventually have to buy a new toaster. But Books, you can keep and go back anad re-read. I have read this book four times since we have been married and I learn something new, that I didn't pick up on the last time I had read it. It is a book about keeping your home a Heaven, Loving your spouse, learning to roll with the changes that life brings
Jan 18, 2015 TK rated it it was ok
I love Elder Holland's writing; it always seems like he has the perfect words of encouragement, gentle correction, and love. However, I'm quitting this one half-way through. I am certain Patricia Holland is a delightful lady, but I never seem to connect with her analogies or instruction. Somehow her writing tends to leave me feeling inadequate and discouraged, and the first half of the book is mostly her writing. :/
Nov 16, 2014 Lynne rated it it was amazing
I love everything he tells in this book. It was published in 1989 but the truth never grows old and never changes.
Dec 22, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
This is a sweet book, mostly taken from old BYU devotional and fireside talks given by Elder and Sister Holland. I love their counsel and their words and was particularly touched by Sister Holland’s words and example. I love the title and focus of the book on making our lives here on earth as they would be in heaven. Life is precious and beautiful, especially life as God would have us live. I love Sister Holland’s reminder to fill the measure of our creation, knowing our purpose and following Go ...more
Aug 31, 2008 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Awesome book with really good lessons.
Fabrizio Poli
Apr 24, 2015 Fabrizio Poli rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up in a second hand book store in Utah a couple of years ago.This book really helps you better understand your Temple covenants and what the Temple is all about. Elder Holland and his dear wife dig deep into a number of subjects and always bring personal stories into the picture, making the message all more compelling.

This is a great read for all Latter-day Saints and if you want to understand more about the Temple, this book is the best I have read so far in explaining the de
Aug 11, 2015 Nolan rated it really liked it
Shelves: nls-audio
I was a student at BYU during the early years of Elder Holland's presidency there. I particularly related to those chapters in which he deals with the complexities of life and the need to find balance.

This is a nicely organized book. It is comprised of speeches the husband-and-wife team have given over the years, some jointly, other separately. It is edited such that you get a somewhat conversational feel minus interruptions and tangients.

The unfortunate choice of a narrator for the audio edit
Jan 21, 2015 Amber rated it it was amazing
I just eat up anything written by Patricia Holland, she inspires me immensely. This was a book that both she and her husband wrote together. Each chapter is on a different topic. I absolutely LOVED all of it and would highly recommend it. It covered everything from marriage, parenting, sex, testimony, education....I could go on and on. I had to order it special because its not being printed anymore.
Dec 27, 2015 Chrisanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I heard most of these as BYU speeches. I love Pat Holland's talks and find it interesting, as I look at her talks and his, to see the softening or maybe molding that has taken place over the years. As he became a general authority he became more closed about his private life but here, as they both speak and try to convey their love for the students, you get a more personal touch. You see the influence that they have had on each other and the way that continues today.
Jun 05, 2013 Amberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was written by Jeffrey & Patricia Holland. Rather than writing it together, they each wrote portions. It has a very nice back and forth feel as if they were both speaking to the reader in a conversation.
Jan 25, 2016 Kathy rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous book that makes me want to be a better person - and gives me hope & help. I will definately read it again. I enjoyed reading no more than 1 chapter a day so I could really think about what I was learning. Wonderful!
Gabriela Zuñiga
Aug 19, 2009 Gabriela Zuñiga rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: lds
It's one of my favorite books has everything funny(9 chapter) , inspiring ,it has really good lessons about family and love ..and they wrote it together also it's not only about the gospel it's about life ...
Oct 31, 2013 Danielle rated it really liked it
I really liked this, especially the first chapters by Sister Holland. There was a lot of perspective and insights that I hadn't thought of and I loved the deeper take on some of the aspects of being a woman that can be challenging.
Jun 28, 2007 Trishtator rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds, own-it
A compilation of talks by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland. The combination of the subject matter was really powerful to me, and each time I picked up this book I read something in plain English that spoke to my need for spiritual knowledge. I especially liked "Lift Up Your Eyes."
May 30, 2008 Robert rated it really liked it
Great book written with his wife. Written at a time when he had more leeway in what he could write about so it was more autobiographical. He lamented that he was too much in a hurry when he was younger.
Jan 02, 2014 Erika rated it it was amazing
This was truly one of the most insightful books that I have ever read in placing my experiences in perspective and in the context of eternal pursuits.
May 01, 2012 Vonnie rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book, just one chapter a day. Gave me good things to think about. After reading it I want to be a better person.
Oct 12, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing
This is the first religious book I purchased. I bought it when I was 15 and it has shaped who I am and the choices I have made in my life.
Nov 14, 2008 Wendy rated it it was amazing
My little paperback version of this book is tattered and dog-eared. It's seen me through years of occasional angst :). So many memories tied into this precious little book...
Jan 16, 2008 Shalae rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
This is an amazing collections of some incredible talks by him and his wife. Some of my favorite talks on womanhood and mothers are here from Patricia Holland his wife.
Apr 02, 2009 Glenna rated it it was amazing
This was comforting and instructive in how to approach everyday living in family and personal relationships. Words that jump out: assurance, peace, "whispering distance from Heaven etc.
Robyn Hall
Dec 20, 2014 Robyn Hall marked it as to-read
read e book in English at
Portuguese Christmas gift book from SP Temple Presidency :)
Jun 30, 2008 Ruth rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: LDS readers (or non-LDS) wanting spiritual lift!
Some of the best talks I remember given by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland are contained in this collection. Any fan of Elder Holland should love this book.
PureMedia Ebook Reader
PureMedia Ebook Reader rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2014
Aug 06, 2015 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. It was wonderful to have Sister Holland's persective and council.
Laurie rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2015
Andrea rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2008
Moroni Flake
Moroni Flake rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2013
Jody Jensen
Jody Jensen rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2008
  • Being Enough
  • Pathways To Perfection: Discourses Of Thomas S. Monson
  • The Lord's Way
  • Even as I Am
  • Don't Leap with the Sheep: And Other Scriptural Strategies for Avoiding Satan's Snares
  • Because He First Loved Us
  • Lehi in the Desert, The World of the Jaredites, There Were Jaredites (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 5)
  • A Quiet Heart
  • Howard W. Hunter
  • Power to Become: Spiritual Patterns for Pressing Forward with a Steadfastness in Christ (Spiritual Patterns, #3)
  • Men of Valor: The Powerful Impact of a Righteous Man
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • Ezra Taft Benson: A Biography
  • That We Might Have Joy
  • Faith: The Essence of True Religion
  • The Mortal Messiah: From Bethlehem to Calvary, Book 1 (Mortal Messiah)
  • Becoming His: A Daily Journey Toward Discipleship
  • Russell M. Nelson: Father, Surgeon, Apostle
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland was ordained a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on 23 June 1994. At the time of this call, Elder Holland was serving as a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy, to which he had been called on 1 April 1989. A native of St. George, Utah, he has spent most of his professional life in Church education. He receiv ...more
More about Jeffrey R. Holland...