Start by marking “Startling Beauty: My Journey from Rape to Restoration” as Want to Read:
Startling Beauty: My Journey from Rape to Restoration

Startling Beauty: My Journey from Rape to Restoration

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A gripping true life story, is undeniable proof that God can bring blessings out of the worst situations in our lives.
Published October 5th 2004 by Life Journey (first published February 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Startling Beauty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Startling Beauty

Elissa
This book is a very quick read, and captivated my attention.
Heather Gemmen is a great writer and uses so many vivid pictures to describe things.
My only disappointment with the book was reading the advice given to her by friends including her pastor on taking the "morning after" pill. Of course, I can't put myself in her situation- what a horrific experience, but as a Calvinistic, Reformed Christian we filter every thing that happens to us through God's Sovereignty. And even if pregnancy would oc
Sandra Lassiter
I bought a stack of books from a book store that was going out of business, and this book was in it. I knew I had to read it. "Only God could turn a woman's worst nightmare into something of startling beauty." While Heather's husband was at church in a meeting and her kids were asleep down the hall, a man came into her house and raped her. After struggling with the issue, she ends up taking a pill to keep her from getting pregnant. It doesn't work and she ends up pregnant anyway. What makes that ...more
Karishma
The story line is gripping from gloom to developing happiness despite the dark spot. To be read for those who think they can live adventurously despite the unwritten norms of the society.
Jaime
I went to a fundraising banquet for the local Pregnancy Care Center the other day and Heather Gemmen-Wilson was the guest speaker. Heather's story is a very touching one. I know I wasn't the only one brought to tears. Her FAITH in GOD is apparent. Heather spoke of being a member of a secret club you never wanted to join, and that at some point in everyone's life they may have felt that way about some isssue and could relate. An excellent speaker as well as a good read!!!
Sharon B.
Jul 19, 2008 Sharon B. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Heather is raped in her own home while her children are sleeping in the next room. Married and devout Christians, Heather and her husband struggle with the basic tenants of their faith when they discover Heather is pregnant with the rapist's child.

This true story will challenge your faith and prejudices. Heather Gemmen writes with such an honest heart that you are compelled to feel ever emotion with her. An amazing story.
Lisa Carlson Martin
I heard of this book in passing while listening to a local Christian radio show and decided to order it...I read it from front to back without moving from my chair on the day I got it in the mail. Startling Beauty was an amazing story of looking past the tragedy and finding the beauty in what could have been a horrible situation. It also helped me to answer the "what would I do" for me personally. Excellent book, excellent.
Stacey Suarez
Dec 31, 2007 Stacey Suarez rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christian readers and anyone recovering from a major life event
Not what I had expected. Surprised myself by buying this book. Very good self help book for any person (mostly women) who have experienced a wide range of emotions from any major unexpected or unprovocated life event. The author's courage in telling her story and also how she worked through tells a beautiful story of hope, and how God can create enormous beauty in the midst of a nightmare.
Chantel
Recommended to me by a friend who knows the author personally, I found the story intriguing. I found myself asking: "What would I have done in similar circumstances?" Could I have been as brave as Heather Gemmen Wilson?
Cammy
A true story of a woman's rape (in her home by an intruder) and her subsequent recovery which included a pregnancy as a result of the rape. Interesting and well told. Very compelling look at forgiveness.
Lizzy B
An open honest account of one womans journey through a horrific experience and back again into a place of forgiveness and healing. Emotive, simply yet effectively written and covers every aspect of life.
Jo
This was a good story about how God works all things, even ugly and painful, together for good.
Samantha
Amazing strength inside this book. Praise to the writer and her journey.
Rose
Aug 16, 2012 Rose added it
amazing and inspirational account. C'dn't have retold it any other way
Lynne
enjoyed this book. amazing story of how good can triumph over evil.
Tiffany
Sep 26, 2008 Tiffany rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Such an awesome book of Gods love and a mothers love!
Sharon
wonderful tearful yet blessed joyful end
Rachael
Crazy, but inspiring story.
Angela
Awesome testamony
Chelsea Yeager
Chelsea Yeager marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Nikki Petersen
Nikki Petersen marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Shawan
Shawan added it
May 08, 2015
Ian Munroe
Ian Munroe marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Jojo
Jojo marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
European-Canadian woman who got raped by a Afro-Canadian man and got pregnant and decided to keep the baby.

She is now a spokesperson for pro-life.

She wrote her biography as well as a couple of Christian young adult literature.
More about Heather Gemmen...
Startling Beauty, My Journey from Rape to Restoration But It's True!: Lying Walk This Way (Gemmen, Heather. Rocket Readers. Walk This Way.) Quit Looking at Me! Pop to the Top