Start by marking “The Tin Princess (Sally Lockhart, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Tin Princess (Sally Lockhart, #4)

The Tin Princess (Sally Lockhart #4)

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  5,587 Ratings  ·  207 Reviews
For sixteen-year-old Becky, that bomb blast was to herald the start of an adventure more full of excitement, danger and passion than she had ever dreamed of. For within days she is bound for a tiny European kingdom with its Crown prince, his cockney bride and the resourceful and daring Jim Taylor, Consulting Detective.

Murder follows murder, and the kingdom's proud but frag
Published April 7th 1994 by Puffin (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Tin Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tin Princess

Catherine
Apr 06, 2009 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Possibly my favourite of all the Sally Lockhart books, which is funny since she personally is barely in this one, lol.

I really loved the whole Razkavia set-up, having most of it through young Becky's eyes, and having Jim play such a huge role in it this time round (I think I missed Jim more than I realised throughout most of Tiger in the Well, heh)

I loved how the plot kept you guessing right until the end. And there was hardly a dull moment. Even the ending didn't just sort of fizzle out. It be
Xime García
Tin trains, tin ships going down the whirlpool - you know what I am, Becky? I'm a tin princess. Like chess: I come all the way across the board and turned into a queen. Still only tin, though... Want a game of chess?

Un libro muy dulce que me cautivó con su ambiente del 1800, sus personajes carismáticos, el cambio gradual y notorio en la protagonista, y una intérprete de 16 años con ganas de comerse el mundo. No fue tanto por las intrigas políticas que te adelantan en la sinopsis, sino por cómo
Peter
For me The Tin Princess was not as successful as the other books in the Sally Lockhart quartet, probably because it is neither about Sally Lockhart or Victorian London, both of which are the thing that interested me about this YA series in the first place.

Some spoilers...

Instead the plot is about Razkavia a made up Germanic state in middle Europe. Where members of the royal family are being bumped off. Our heroes Jim and Becky fall into this world of royal-intrigue, by way of Adelaide, the litt
The Book Queen
Apr 04, 2015 The Book Queen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I haven't read the Tiger in the Well, so I have some mild spoilers for it, but this is brilliant! I absolutely love this style of Ruritanian fantasy/Gothic crime novel thing and I think this might be my favourite out of the three I've read.
Frith
Nov 13, 2016 Frith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lost count of how many times I've read this, but I haven't added it to GR before. I absolutely love this book. It's so vivid, and tragic, and the two girls at the centre are wonderful. This is an absolute comfort read for me.
Mary-Jean Harris
As usual, Philip Pullman has written another fabulous story! It was very exciting and I just loved the characters, especially Jim and Adelaide. It was great how we returned to Adelaide, since we've had such a long time to wonder what on earth happened to her. And it was so fun that Jim was one of the main characters. He really needs his own series, actually :)
Now, the story was different from the others in that there was a large element that wasn't historical. The story is based on a fictional c
Rebecca Matthies
Ian
Jan 19, 2014 Ian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Goodreads needs a "re-read" shelf for books like this one. It was as fun the second time as the first. This is one of my favorite Pullman books, right up there with the Dark Materials trilogy, though not as intense. You don't need to know anything about the Sally Lockhart books to read this one because it's a complete side story.
Devanshi Gupta
Jun 25, 2016 Devanshi Gupta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventures
Why are Philip Pullman's endings always so sad...
Loved the book, though not his best. It certainly raked up the emotions inside me.
Megan Baxter
May 19, 2014 Megan Baxter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite how quickly I devoured the three first Sally Lockhart books, I took my time getting around the the fourth because, well, it's not about Sally. She only appears in the book very briefly. I shouldn't have waited so long.

The Tin Princess is a fast-paced, engrossing Victorian pulp, told with the keen eye for imperial politics and business that Pullman has brought to all the books in this series. Although I didn't remember Adelaide very well from the first time I met her, I quickly grew very
Katie
Jun 15, 2010 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jules
Apr 29, 2009 Jules rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Grace
Nov 01, 2009 Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is almost a standalone in the Lockheart series -- it's certainly the one that's easiest to pick up and reread quickly, and that's because it doesn't really dive into Sally Lockheart's life. This one's all about Jim Taylor.

I love Jim unabashedly. He's cheeky and clever and quick, with a strong sense of right and wrong. It's great to see him in the centre of his own story, as I always wanted more of him in Sally's books. Now that he's grown up a bit and is finally the ringleader of his own in
Ellen
This is a sort-of sequel to The Ruby in the Smoke et al., and okay, it's kind of a cheesy sequel. But oh, the characters! Seeing Jim and Adelaide all grown up, and Sally as a matron, is fun without being corny; and Becky and the new minor characters are wonderful enough that you can mostly ignore the rags-to-riches-to-royalty story the book is ostensibly about.

I think of it as really extremely good self-fanfiction. If you enjoyed the three books in the series proper, and can keep that descriptio
Ellie Matthews
All the Sally Lockhart books are great, starring a heroine who can shoot a pistol, solve a mystery, and is written by Phillip Pullman in a Victorian London full of opium addicts, smog and murders. Actually Sally isn't in this book very much as it is mainly the story of her friend Jim and the little urchin Adalaide from previous books, now married to the crown prince of a small European country.
Kirsty (overflowing library)
i love this one - brilliant historical setting and nice sally lockhart spin off
Tortla
I don't care enough about politics enough to have actually understood the conclusion of this...
Sophie
Nov 28, 2016 Sophie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I have to say, Philip Pullman is a awesome writer and really brings his stories to life. It took me a really long time to finish this book. umm More than two months. I kept picking it up and then losing interest again but eventually I finished it. It was interesting and I actually went online to search if Razkavia is an actual country (spoiler alert. It's not) Also, I started in the middle of the series so I guess I missed out on quite a bit of background information of characters. I still enjoy ...more
Courtenay
Jan 14, 2017 Courtenay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though it took me over three years to finish the fourth book in the Sally Lockhart series, I still enjoyed reading it. This is definitely for young women yearning for adventure & heroines to emulate. I preferred the first three, as I love Sally who featured predominantly in those, but she does appear in this fourth work, nicely tying up loose ends once the adventures are over.
Angelica
3.5
I wanted the plot to be more complex, and it took a moment to adjust to a new city and focus (I love learning about the history of Victorian London via Pullman and this book takes place in a made-up country). All that aside, it was poignant and intriguing as always.
Heather
Erin
Philip Pullman's style is interesting to me, because even though it's dry, matter-of-fact and dense, I still like it. One problem, though, is that it's hard for me to be emotionally connected to the story/characters. This held true for The Tin Princess , but I enjoyed it none the less.

It opens with a brand-new character, Becky. She's smart, humble, quietly brave, and that's about it. She never really came alive to me, but I liked that she was different than Pullman's other heroines-- she wasn'
M.G. Mason
Aug 18, 2012 M.G. Mason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So concludes the series of Philip Pullman’s young adult “Sally Lockhart Mysteries” and I’ve completed it almost a year to the day that I started the first book.

In this final part, Sally has a much smaller role as the protagonist literally fades into the background to allow Jim Taylor to take centre stage. It is odd that a series named after a certain character barely features that character, especially as it is the final part but there we go. In some ways I understand this as Sally’s story reall
Alessandra
Sep 06, 2015 Alessandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rebecca Winter, gifted, cheerful, and poor, had lived sixteen years without once seeing a bomb go off. She might have seen one; London, in 1882, was no less explosive than it is now, for dynamoting was already a vigorous branch of politics. But Becky's path had never crossed a bomb, which is why, on thay sunny May morning, she was thinking of something else entirely; namely, German verbs.

I was so lucky as to find a copy of The Tin Princess by Philip Pullman at the library, in the Italian transla
clinestar
Considering that this book has emblazoned across its cover 'A Sally Lockhart Mystery', anyone expecting a plot with Sally as a core character, as in the previous novels of the quartet is doomed to disappointment. That is not to say that the book itself is disappointing. Far from it. It is a fast paced adventure with good lead characters, which moves from the apparent tranquility of Victorian London to the rather more turbulent Razkavia.

If you have never heard of Razkavia it is hardly surprising.
Sabrina
For around the first couple of chapters I wasn't too sure if I'd like this book, and I wasn't even sure if I would continue reading it. This was probably because I didn't realise this was the last book in the Sally Lockhart series - silly me.

However, it started to really get interesting in Chapter 3, especially with Jim Taylor doing some Varys-style snooping, and the spy being pursued (view spoiler) by hordes of urchins. Street urchins, not the sea ki

Violet
Maninee
Sep 08, 2010 Maninee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: and those who want an in sight of the human mind at the time of war
Recommended to Maninee by: avishikta
Shelves: adventure
when i read this book i cried, no, not because it was sad, but because it was terrible!
i am a devoted fan of pullman and i was SHOCKED by this book. it was terrible. but maybe that's because i'm a bit more than biased towards sally. let me tell you why i didn't like this book:
first of all, the main character adelaide was way too weak. for the first time ever, pullman just said tht a female character was strond and expected us to take it for granted, i mean, how could she transform from a whiney
Armchair
Mar 14, 2014 Armchair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exactly what I wanted to read.

Becky Winter is a capable polyglot with a romantic streak, who finds herself swept up in political intrigue after witnessing an explosion. Suddenly the sixteen-year-old Winter is tutor and interpreter to a secret cockney princess, headed from London to a tiny nation sandwiched between Austria and Germany accompanied by a dreamy prince, gruff ambassador and his icy wife, and a dashing detective. The novel’s plot twists and turns through Razkavia’s 19th-century-Bavari
Annie
Schade, dass die Serie nun zu Ende ist. Eigentlich dürfte der letzte Band kaum noch unter "Sally Lockhart" geführt werden, da sie so gut wie nicht mehr darin vorkommt.
Punktabzug gab es für Sallys Abwesenheit und der arschlosen Lovestory zwischen Jim und Adelaide. Ich hätte das Paar Jim & Becky eindeutig bevorzugt.
Ansonsten hat mir die Story um ein imaginäres Ländchen namens Raskawien, eine Minimonarchie zwischen Deutschland und Österreich-Ungarn, sehr gefallen. Man könnte meinen, der Herr P
  • All Fall Down
  • Dido and Pa (The Wolves Chronicles, #7)
  • We Didn't Mean to Go to Sea (Swallows and Amazons, #7)
  • Empty Quarter (Darcie Lock, #2)
  • Montmorency: Thief, Liar, Gentleman? (Montmorency, #1)
  • Jacob's Ladder
  • Predator's Gold (The Hungry City Chronicles, #2)
  • Dark Parallel (The Joshua Files, #4)
  • The Pirates of Pompeii (Roman Mysteries, #3)
  • Flambards in Summer (Flambards, #3)
  • Captain Hornblower R.N.: Hornblower and the Atropos / The Happy Return / A Ship of the Line
  • Queen of Ambition (Ursula Blanchard, #5)
  • Lord Kirkle's Money (Beyond the Western Sea, #2)
  • King of the Middle March (Arthur Trilogy, #3)
In 1946, acclaimed author Philip Pullman was born in Norwich, England, into a Protestant family. Although his beloved grandfather was an Anglican priest, Pullman became an atheist in his teenage years. He graduated from Exeter College in Oxford with a degree in English, and spent 23 years as a teacher while working on publishing 13 books and numerous short stories. Pullman has received many awards ...more
More about Philip Pullman...

Sally Lockhart (4 books)
  • The Ruby in the Smoke (Sally Lockhart, #1)
  • The Shadow in the North (Sally Lockhart, #2)
  • The Tiger in the Well (Sally Lockhart, #3)

“She longed for cutlasses, pistols, and brandy; she had to make do with coffee, and pencils, and verbs.” 0 likes