Cook-a-Doodle-Doo!

Cook-a-Doodle-Doo!

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  216 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Big Brown Rooster is sick of chicken feed. So along with his friends--Turtle, Iguana, and Potbellied Pig--he sets out to make the most magnificent strawberry shortcake in the whole wide world. But there’s one problem: none of his friends knows how to cook! The team bravely forges ahead, and with Rooster’s help, they learn how to measure flour (not with a ruler) and how to...more
Published April 1st 1999 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1999)

Sarah Sammis
When my son was a year and a half old my husband was teaching night school to help make ends meet. On nights when he was teaching I had to make dinner and keep my son out of trouble at the same time. The only way I could do both was to teach him how to cook.

The cooking lessons (scrambled eggs, biscuits and other simple things) were a hit. He and now his sister loves to cook. So Cook-a-doodle-doo! by Janet Stevens and Susan Stevens Crummel was a perfect picture book for the three of us to share.

T...more
Candice
Nov 13, 2011 Candice rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie - when she is older
Shelves: picture-books
An amusing and informative book about the Little Red Hen's great-grandson. Rooster is tired of eating chicken feed every day. He remembers the story about his great-grandmother, goes looking for her cookbook (The Joy of Cooking Alone), and decides to make a strawberry shortcake. Unlike his great-grandmother, he is able to find some friends, Turtle, Iguana, and Pig, to help. As the three set about to make a strawberry shortcake, and a mess, the sidebars explain cooking procedures and terms. Howev...more
Diana
I *LOVE* this book! Cook-a-Doodle-Doo updates the classic tale of the Little Red Hen, by telling us the story of her great-grandson, Big Brown Rooster, and how he and a few friends do some cooking of their own. Janet Stevens' art beautifully illustrates the story, rich with color and movement. The book also includes sidebars that define and explain different cooking terms, and at the end, you will find the recipe Big Brown Rooster and his friends used in the story. Best part of all? The story is...more
jenna nims
My daughter recently decided that she wants to take cooking classes but there arent any where we live. I am now trying to teach her a few things myself. This book really helped to explain a lot of things that I would not even thought of to tell her. It is simple yet has a lot of information following some animals that want to learn how to cook strawberry shortcake. We are now planning on making the recipe for it that is included in the back of the book. Nicely done.
Kelsey
Age: Preschool-2nd grade
Fairytale: Fractured Little Red Hen

Stevens presents one finely put together picture book detailing the process of baking strawberry shortcake with three overly-anxious (but sincere) friends. Rooster is sick of chicken feed (and his expression of exhaustion and disgust is perfect). But, wait a minute! Rooster remembers a story about his great-grandmother, the Little Red Hen and soon finds her cookbook titled "The Joy of Cooking Alone." Upon asking his friends, Dog, Cat, an...more
Angela
Absolutely darling! What a fun way to introduce cooking concepts to children! It also teaches about teamwork and being patient with each other.
Koorihime-sama
WON IN A DRAWING AT THE LIBRARY

APART OF THE GOODREADS 2011 READING CHALLENGE.

Review/Rating:

5 out of 5

Ease of Reading Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Plot: 5 out of 5

The Rooster is tired of eating the same thing every single day, so he gets the idea to be like his grandmother, the Little Red Hen, and cook something. However, will no one help him cook it?

Okay, I’m going to call this a sequel to The Little Red Hen, even though it really isn’t because it only mentions it only a little bit....more
Maria
Cook-A-Doodle-Doo! by Janet Stevens and Susan Stevens Crummel is based on the story of The Little Red Hen. Rooster is tired of only eating chicken feed and remembers the stories his mother told of his grandmother, the Little Red Hen. He finds her cookbook and bakes a delicious strawberry shortcake with the help of his friends Turtle, Iguana, and Potbellied Pig. There is humor throughout the story as Turtle reads the instructions that Iguana always gets wrong and as Potbellied Pig wants to taste...more
Codie Gates
Rooster, Little Red Hen's great-grandson, is tired of eating chicken feed every day. He finds L.R. Hen's cookbook, The Joy of Cooking Alone, and decides to make a strawberry shortcake. Unlike Little Red Hen's friends, Rooster has plenty of friends to help him. Pig, Iguana, and Turtle work with Rooster to make the cake. They learn along the way, and so can you with the sidebars that explain cooking procedures and terms. After a mishap, they friends have to make another cake, but it is easier than...more
Ruth Ann
When rooster realizes he is tired of chicken feed, he hunts up his grandmother's recipe book and decides to make strawberry shortcake. Unlike his grandmother, the little red hen, rooster finds three friends that are willing to help: turtle, iguana, and pot-bellied pig. Readers will be entertained by their teamwork, especially since iguana often gets the directions confused by interpreting them too literally and all pig really wants to do is eat! Sidebars contain additional information about baki...more
Alma Loredo
Rooster is tired of always having to eat chicken feed. He finds his great grandmothers recipe book and decided to bake. He gets some friend to work together and help cook. Turtle, Iguana and Pig are the friends that help. Iguana accidentally drops the cake on the floor and the others begin to blame him. Rooster explains that they are a team and they should work together and not blame anyone. As a team they bake a new cake.
This book is great to demonstrate teamwork within a classroom. Shows very...more
Zilha B.
This fable is about a little rooster who is tired of chicken feed, so he tries to make a strawberry shortcake using his great grandmother’s cookbook. He gets the help of his friends, the Iguana, Turtle, and Pig, and makes the strawberry shortcake. After making the strawberry shortcake, with some difficulties, the cake is dropped and eaten by the Pig. They decide to make another shortcake, which turns out to be easier the second time. I would use this book to teach about fables and the characteri...more
Restokes92
This book is kind of a sequel to the little red hen because it focuses on the little red hen's grandson who is a rooster. The story goes the same as the little red hen except that instead of three animals just saying no a few other animals say yes and the book turns into a comical retelling of the little red hen. This is a great book to use when you want the children to see the retelling of famous stories (or loose sequels to stories like this one). The story also features measuring with the coo...more
Cheryl in CC NV
Plenty of humor and heart, & loyalty to great-grandmother Little Red Hen, and bright illustrations. The how-to sidebars are almost enough to enable an older child to make the shortcake all by himself, even if he's never baked before. (A complete recipe is on the last page.) I particularly like how the animals dealt with a certain problem near the end, and I liked to see which neighbors finally ate the finished cake. (I won't hide a spoiler - you'll have to read the book yourself to find out....more
Lindi
Funny book about the Little Red Hen's great-grandson who decides he wants to bake something, so he pulls out her cookbook, The Joy of Cooking Alone. The story itself is charming and Janet Stevens's illustrations are terrific, as usual. Then, on top of that, this book actually explains (in side-bars) how to cook -- all those things an experienced cook takes for granted. But that's not all! The icing on the cake, so to speak, is the recipe for strawberry shortcake at the end!
Amy
I'm always a sucker for a book with a recipe in the back! This book could be a very exciting read aloud - opportunities for a few fun voices. The animals work as a team to make shortcake and have some mishaps but persevere through them. This book also has definitions on the side of ingredients and recipes and explains the basic nature of cooking and what the animals are talking about. I thought the inserts were cool and could aide in a cooking or measuring lesson.
Samary Morales
This book is very cute! I love the way it shows and teaches children different things; such as recipes and one of the most important team work. I like how the author also give the children pictures with the words under showing them how they look. It is not just that but the book also had sidebars that help them- it gives them more information/procedures and baking terms for them to understand. Over all I recommend this book to read to children!
Melanie
Rooster is tired of chicken feed. He remembers that his relative, Little Red Hen, once wrote a cookbook. When he finds it he's excited to try her recipe for strawberry shortcake. Following tradition, few of the barnyard animals will help him. But Turtle, Iguana and Pig volunteer.

It's rollicking fun as Iguana makes classic, literal, Amelia Bedelia type mistakes.

Recipe included.
Chris Young
Rooster is tired of chicken feed and enlists the help of Turtle, Iguana and Pig to bake a strawberry shortcake. The team is new to cooking and makes a bunch of mistakes along the way, and students will enjoy either correcting the characters like Rooster has to do or learning more about cooking through the non-fiction sidebars interspersed throughout the story.
Really cute take on the Little Red Hen tale. This time around, the great grand-rooster of LRH bakes a strawberry shortcake with an iguana, turtle, and pot-bellied pig. Sweet story and my aspiring chef loved pointing out the silly mistakes the animals made. Older kids would probably enjoy the side column on each page that explains the science behind baking.
Arlene Allen
A very clever take off on The Little Red Hen! In addition to being a fun cumulative tale, the book teaches cooking terms and procedures, and there are sidebars giving further instructions. Iguana and his misunderstandings are expected but made priceless by the illustrations. It's been a long time since I've read such a cute picture book.
Dan
This is a nice twist to the Red Hen. The rooster is making a wonderful strawberry shortcake with turtle, iguana, and pig. Turtle is a great reader, pig wants to taste everything, and iguana doesn't quite understand the directions. It is a great book and the kids loved it. Gives some information on cooking and how to use some items in the kitchen.
Dianne Norberg
This is a clever book written about Little Red Hen's Great Grandson that decides to cook from her cookbook. Although, there is no help from Dog, Cat or Goose, the Iguana, Turtle and Pig work as a team to help the hen. The book talks about teamwork and working together. I like the definitions of words on the side of the book too!
Katie Brown
This book is great for teaching measurements. It is also good to talk about team work. A rooster decided he is tired of the food he gets and bakes a cake from his grandmother's cookbook. He has friends that help him and they work together to get it done. They have to measure all of the ingredients to make sure the cake is right.
Thimbleberry
This is a great kids book. My niece insists that we read it at least once a month. Not only is there a great story with fun illustrations, there are sidebars with directions and explanations about cooking and safety in the kitchen. Plus, at the end is the recipe for the strawberry shortcake that the characters make!
Kelli
Our family loves this book! My husband and I thought it hilarious as the rooster tries to cook with 'help' from the other animals. We could relate! Our children love to 'help' us cook. This story is much better than the original story of the little red hen and teaches a greater lesson! So cute!
Jodi
My son likes this book because he thinks it's hilarious. I like it because it's hilarious and it shows cooperation and forgiveness. It's fun to read, and includes a recipe for strawberry shortcake that, each time we read it, I must promise to make as soon as the strawberries are ripe this summer.
Dominique Eastwick
A great way to read a fun story and back with children. Children find the book silly without seeing they are learning. And the recipe is fun and easy to make. Its traditional shortbread so not all children will like it But I sure did.

Great childrens book.
Jie Gao
My 5-year old obviously loves it. The evidences are:
1) He borrowed this book from his school library;
2) He offered to read half of it.
There are a few silly mistakes made by the friends of the Big Red Rooster, which he found hilarious.
Joanna
Funny re-imagining of the bossy Hen story in which none of the other animals want to help. This time around her grandson the rooster has fun teaching his friends about baking. They all want to help and especially enjoy eating the results.
  • The Wolf's Chicken Stew
  • The Perfect Nest
  • G Is for Googol: A Math Alphabet Book
  • The Wonderful Book
  • Mitchell's License
  • Little Red Riding Hood: A Newfangled Prairie Tale (Stories to Go!)
  • Thelonius Monster's Sky-High Fly-Pie
  • The Three Little Tamales
  • The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians
  • If I Built a Car
Janet Stevens is a children's books illustrator and author.
More about Janet Stevens...
The Princess and the Pea Tops & Bottoms The Great Fuzz Frenzy Help Me, Mr. Mutt!: Expert Answers for Dogs with People Problems The Tortoise and the Hare: An Aesop Fable