Start by marking “The Particle Garden: Our Universe As Understood By Particle Physicists” as Want to Read:
The Particle Garden: Our Universe As Understood By Particle Physicists

The Particle Garden: Our Universe As Understood By Particle Physicists

The Particle Garden is the clearest survey of particle physics, including the theory, its experimental foundations, its relations to cosmology and astrophysics, and its future. Known as an excellent expositor of physics, Kane has marshaled his research and teaching experience to make this daunting subject understandable to all readers.
Published July 2nd 1996 by Basic Books (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Particle Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Particle Garden

Trickey
Apr 28, 2008 Trickey rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is probably the best quick and dirty discussion of particle physics I've read. It also covers other applications of the science and is up to date.
Converse
Aug 11, 2010 Converse rated it liked it

Up quark, down quark, and electron: this is what everything material you are familiar with (not everything in the universe) is made of. Quarks make protons and neutrons, protons, neutrons and electrons make atoms, and atoms make stuff. This 1995 book about particle physics explains the standard model, the explanation since roughly the 1970s of what matter is made of. The existence of quarks is inferred from the results of colliding particles in particle accelerators, devices which use electric

Lynn
I read this book while I was taking Professor Kane's Particle Physics I course (Winter semester, 2008). It's a non-technical alternative to the book we used as our textbook, Modern elementary particle physics. They contain much of the same content, but this one (book being reviewed) doesn't have the same math the text for the class does.
Funny story: I did find the answer to one of the questions on the take-home final exam in an appendix of the book. Unfortunately, I had already turned in the ex
December
Aug 14, 2012 December rated it really liked it
It needs updating and that's actually exciting. Table on page 55 states mass of Higgs Boson is not known. I could correct it on my book, or they could publish a new edition.
Brendan  McAuliffe
Jan 17, 2012 Brendan McAuliffe rated it liked it
A little out of date now, but still good ( if you're already up to speed on things ) Chapter 3 ' Doing ' is esp. interesting. Hope he writes a new book soon.
Megan
Jul 21, 2016 Megan marked it as to-read
Recommended to Megan by: Tara
Shelves: science, non-fiction, own
Tara gave me this book along with a bunch of other popular science non-fiction that she had to read for some class. I haven't gotten to it yet.
Stephen Renneberg
May 27, 2013 Stephen Renneberg rated it really liked it
Solid explanation of the standard model of particle physics.
Shaunt
Feb 01, 2016 Shaunt rated it really liked it
Shelves: theory
A good primer on particle physics.
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Ali
Ali rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2016
David Jardine
David Jardine marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Solomon
Solomon marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Renan Virginio
Renan Virginio marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Kree
Kree rated it it was ok
Feb 25, 2016
Soscha
Soscha marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Esusands
Esusands rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Ruslan Rzaiev
Ruslan Rzaiev marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Barry
Barry rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2015
Ricky Rodriguez
Ricky Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Kaitlin
Kaitlin marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Jerome
Jerome rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2015
Robby
Robby rated it really liked it
May 27, 2015
Josh Muller
Josh Muller marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Julianne
Julianne marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Gordon Kane is the Victor Weisskopf Collegiate Professor of Physics at the University of Michigan, and the director of the Michigan Center for Theoretical Physics. He was awarded the Lilienfeld Prize of the American Physical Society, and is the author of The Particle Garden.
More about Gordon L. Kane...