Start by marking “Josephine and the Soldier” as Want to Read:
Josephine and the Soldier

Josephine and the Soldier

Josephine Josephine Best has it all figured out. Just seventeen, she's been to college, she has her own hairdressing shop, and she refuses to be distracted by any of that courting nonsense. At least until nice George Brooks begins to pursue her. Jojo isn't looking for romance, but she permits George to call on her. The Soldier

Adam Morgan has always been a Casanova, and no
Published February 1st 2003 by Avon Inspire

To ask other readers questions about Josephine and the Soldier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Josephine and the Soldier

Zoe and the Edge
Josephine Best is a sensible working girl. She's not ready for marriage and she loves her hairdressing business. She doesn't want to be confined to the old-fashioned box of women's roles.
Her father and older brother Daniel are away fighting the Civil War.

Adam Morgan is a great hero. He and Josephine are so adorable with the most perfect banter. Five years ago, he was best friends with Josephine's brother and practically adopted into the family. Adam and Josephine have always been like siblings
Coumbis
Sep 28, 2016 Coumbis rated it it was amazing
Josephine by Beverly Jenkins is an excellent book that tells the story of Josephine Best an owner of a salon. The story is told by first person narrator who wants to be an independent woman.

Josephine Best is the main character. She graduated from Oberlin College. She owns her own hair salon. Josephine is unlike other girls at her age who are thinking about marrying now. All she wants is to be an independent woman. As other women are telling her why don’t you get marry your best friend Trudy alr
Rebecca
Feb 28, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Josephine Best is seventeen years old, and she has a different plan for her life than most young women her age in 1864. Raised in a progressive free black family that ran a station on the Underground Railroad, Josephine has been encouraged since she was a child to follow her dreams, even if they were not traditional ones for a girl to have. Josephine has attended the Women's Program at Oberlin College and now runs her own hairdressing shop in her hometown. Most of the girls her age are thinking ...more
Rebecca
Apr 01, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Annelisa
Dec 22, 2012 Annelisa rated it it was amazing
This story picks up five years after "Belle and the Beau" left off, but you don't need to read that one to understand this one (although I highly recommend it). The setting is the tail end of the Civil War. Josephine Best is a headstrong, different 17-year-old girl, who doesn't fit into the conventional roles of women at the time. She's been to college, has her own hair shop which she dreams of expanding, and doesn't want to be one of those girls who are swooning over men, trying to catch thems ...more
Ashley W
I’ve read the prequel to this, Belle , before so the characters were all familiar to me and it was fun to the see the annoying 12 year old Jojo grow into the headstrong and independent 17 year old she becomes in this novel. The novel picks up five years after the ending of Belle and the Civil War is on its last leg. Josephine is left with her mother and sister-in-law Belle as the important men in her life, her brother, father, and Belle’s father, have gone to fight for the Union. As the war rag ...more
Brittany
Nov 06, 2014 Brittany rated it liked it
Another fun addition and a great way to see how things turned out after the first book's happily ever after. Things are a little bit looser and less stressful in this book, despite all of the main male characters fighting for their lives off at war. Instead, this book focuses on Josephine, Dani's no-so-little-anymore sister and her thriving hair salon business and the love triangle that inevitably pops up in these books.

I love the message these books send, that women can be independent and will
Nellie
Jun 22, 2011 Nellie rated it really liked it
I really loved this one. The wounded returning soldier finds a beautiful woman, only to find out he didn't recognize that she is the "pest" little sister of his best friend, and she is all grown up!
She can't deny her feelings for him, but he has always been a flirt, so she doesn't trust him not to break her heart.

Very clean story. Great for teen girls. Fun, entertaining, and kept me drawn in. I enjoyed this one much more than Belle and the Beau. I enjoyed the focus on building the relationship,
Diane
Not to sound like a broken record, but I got THIS book because of that blasted romance "Belle" I had read. This one dealt with another character in that book and, hey, it is summer and I am on vacation and another mindless lite romance was right up my alley. Again, it was good but not something I would recommend spending a bunch of cash on.

I should also add that these two appealed to me because of the historical fiction (civil war era) slant.
Michelle Onuorah
Sep 01, 2013 Michelle Onuorah rated it it was amazing
My Original Amazon review on November 9, 2003 (I was 12-years-old):
"i love this book. i originally checked it out at the library after weeks of anticipation. i read it in one day! a few weeks later i bought it! its that good!"

I stand by the content of my review, although I probably would edit my grammar and punctuation at 22. A lovely book that was very well written - so much so that I still enjoy reading it every now and then as an adult. I highly recommend it.
Sarah Elizabeth
Sep 09, 2009 Sarah Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Definitely one of the better Avon True Romances (not that a single one of them was ever bad at all). This one is a little longer, but the characters a fleshed out a bit more. If you have never read an Avon True Romance, don't be ashamed whatever your age. If you're dying for an adorable romance story that involves no situation that is going to make you uncomfortable to read, this whole series is for you. And this is wonderful (and super adorable) place to begin.
Cris-anne Stewart
This book expressed more than just a african-american girl who is tryingto make it while her and her mom are at home waiting for her father and brother to make a call somewhere saying there okay because they are in the army.It also has a little love story between her and a injured soldier. This book really is amazing.
Tqwana
Apr 27, 2013 Tqwana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very sweet, quick read. Not as much history as the previous book, which is mostly why I gave this a 4, not a 5. Very heavy on the love story. I think I wanted more info on the war. I love the consistency of the Jo as a character; you still saw that spunk little girl, in this almost adult woman. I love what she represents for independent women, even back then.
Chelsea
Jun 19, 2010 Chelsea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was phenominal i want to read more about these charecters although to my knoledge there is no more to read. i look forward to reading more from this author howaever. the stories are captivating and the charecters well rounded and intresting. a wounderful leasure read.
Kelly
Jul 15, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story, also published in the Avon True Romance series as 'Josephine and the Soldier'. You can get this edition on nook/kindle....it was pure luck that i stumbled upon it on my nook. Confusing why it was republished under a different title!
May 08, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one really adorable story, adorable but still sober, given the backdrop of the Civil War. Definitely a great light read for a teenage girl. The chemistry between Jo and Adam doesn't come through really nicely in the writing, but eh.
Cierra Buckles
this a very good book. it is the sequel to Belle.
Bebe20018
Jun 22, 2014 Bebe20018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another very good YA black historical fiction romance. Love it just like Belle.
Rachel
Apr 18, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a beautiful story by Mrs. Jenkins. Josephine is one of those characters that makes the story line wonderful!!! This was a quick read and a must read!!
Kelly
Jul 15, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing
great book in the Avon true romance series! you can get this book as an ebook under the title of JOSEPHINE, same book, different title.
Jonyca Lowery
i loved this book but i felt like the ending could have been better.
Classic74
Jan 15, 2014 Classic74 rated it it was amazing
Great read for young adults.
Courtney
Jun 09, 2010 Courtney rated it liked it
This one was just okay. It was a good story, but there were parts of it that frustrated me, too.
Cori Ilardi
Mar 03, 2013 Cori Ilardi rated it really liked it
A cute period read. Not my favorite from the Avon True Romance collection but still a cute addition to the collection.
Madison Foss
Jul 12, 2009 Madison Foss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutly Love this Book!!!! I reread it 5 times in 3 days!!!!
Trudy
Mar 12, 2011 Trudy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable. Sweet. A "Calgon Take Me Away" read.
Genevieve
Dec 21, 2010 Genevieve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a very instructive book.i especially like the characters of Jos and her brother.
Michelle
Jan 01, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
Cute story.....
Jackie
Jul 13, 2012 Jackie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting historical period, covering a culture not very well-represented in the annals of historical romance. I found Jenkins' telling rather flat, and her plot fairly dull, alas.
  • Gwyneth and the Thief
  • Amelia and the Outlaw
  • Emily and the Scot (The MacLaughlins, #2)
  • Catherine and the Pirate
  • Miranda and the Warrior
  • Tess And The Highlander (MacPherson Clan, #6)
  • Autobiography of Malcolm X as told to Alex Haley, The  (MAXNotes Literature Guides)
  • Masked by Moonlight
  • Tall, Dark...Westmoreland! (Jeffries #1, The Westmorelands #15)
  • Aya de Yopougon, Tome 6 (Aya, #6)
  • Redemption Song
  • My Brother's Keeper
  • Still Changing Lives Everyday: Tuesdays With Morrie 10th Anniversary Foreword
  • Diary of an Ugly Duckling
  • Tailspin (Uniformly Hot!, #19)
  • Klee Wyck
199260
Beverly Jenkins is an African-American historical romance writer. She and her family live in southeastern Michigan. Born in Detroit, she graduated from Cass Technical High School and attended Michigan State University where she majored in Journalism and English Literature.
Ms. Jenkins has written sixteen books to date and has received numerous awards for her works, including: the Detroit Free Pres
More about Beverly Jenkins...