Start by marking “Think Big: Unleashing Your Potential for Excellence” as Want to Read:
Think Big: Unleashing Your Potential for Excellence

Think Big: Unleashing Your Potential for Excellence

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  2,539 Ratings  ·  257 Reviews
After telling the story of how he overcame an inner-city background to become a world renowned neurosurgeon (Gifted Hands), Dr. Ben Carson now gives an inspirational look at the philosophy of life that helped him meet life's obstacles and leap over them.** You may also be interested in **
Published December 26th 2005 by Zondervan (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Think Big, please sign up.

Claudia Philippe Yes, Amazon. And you can search that site for used copies if you wis.

Victor Nyachieo
Dec 18, 2012 Victor Nyachieo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books
Ben Carson was a young inner-city boy who grew up with out a father. His mother was single and she could barely support her kids. She could barely read and her occupation could hardly support the kids. She often went into some kind of psychiatric problems and had to be stay in a hospital for a few days. The struggles of the family continued. Ben fell to the bottom of his class and developed an uncontrollable temper. His mother Sonya would not give up on her kids. She would often encourage her c ...more
Temani
Jun 24, 2010 Temani added it
When I read the title and flipped through the pages I knew that the book could inspire me in situations that I've been in or will run into later in life. I liked the book because it was really about how things were, how you start on the bottom and make your way to the top. I liked the way the author set the chapters in chronilogical order. Reading this book I learned that if someone has done it then it can be done. If you set your mind to be the best you will meet success. I didn't get to finish ...more
Suzanne
Jun 05, 2012 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A couple of years ago, I had the opportunity watch a wonderful movie about the life of Dr. Ben Carson. It was called Gifted Hands and it chronicled his rise from bottom of the class fifth grader in a poor single parent household, to brilliant pediatric neurosurgeon at Johns Hopkins. Later, I found out that Dr. Carson had written several books intended to inspire young people to reach for their full potential.

Yesterday, I have been thinking that my own sons could benefit from Dr. Carson's message
Muffi
Feb 18, 2013 Muffi rated it it was amazing
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! I read this book years ago, and it inspired me to finish my BA degree, then go on to earn my MA while raising five children. Hey--if Carson could get into the Ivy League and through medical school with the challenges he faced (extreme poverty, bad grades, living in nasty school district), then what was MY excuse?
M.i.
Mar 20, 2013 M.i. rated it liked it
This book reads like an acceptance speech at some major awards ceremony, giving thanks to all the people involved in making Dr Carson's life what it is today. No doubt he is a very impressive man with all he was able to accomplish at such a young age, but even more impressive is the credit he gives to others, never coming off as haughty despite all the success he has had.
Carlos Patiño
Jul 19, 2013 Carlos Patiño rated it it was amazing
It's an amazing book that simply inpsires and motivates you to give your best in life! No matter from where your come from or your background, anyone can success if they give their best.
Mary
Apr 18, 2013 Mary rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: liked-it
Honestly I never would have picked up this book if it weren't for the fact that a lecturer prescribed it for one of my classes. I'm not one for self-help or motivational books. I find the tedious and really not all that motivational.I prefer fiction, and as I said I really don't think I would have picked it up, let alone have enjoyed it the way I did.
I'd heard about Ben Carson (those who haven't have probably been living under a rock), but I never really took interest in his books or the movie a
Tim Chavel
Sep 13, 2015 Tim Chavel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ben Carson’s book, Think Big is actually a book about how to have success in your life. He using the acrostic THINK BIG for an outline to teach the steps a person would use to have success. The T stands for talent. He says, “If we recognize our talents, use them appropriately, and choose a field that uses those talents, we will rise to the top of our field.” The H stands for honesty. He says, “If we live the rule of honesty and accept our problems, we can go far down the road of achievement.” I ...more
Glenn
Jul 06, 2009 Glenn rated it it was ok
I was introduced to this book by a junior high school teacher who was planning to use it in her classes. Supposedly it was about a successful pediatric neurosurgeon giving accolades to people who helped him develop himself. That attracted me since I also feel such intense gratitude for so many, some that I am aware of, and some that I never realized were there. I will say he delivers that, and also provides some very good ideas about how to get on track and stay on track for "success". I rated t ...more
Cynthia
Aug 23, 2013 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
The way that the book is written really draws the reader in because Dr. Carson uses real life stories to help explain the major points that he is wanting to make. This is a very good book and I recommend it to be read by anyone and everyone.
Kath
Jun 04, 2015 Kath rated it liked it
La vida de Ben Carson es realmente inspiradora, pero este libro no me llego, los primeros tres capitulos realmente me motivaron, pero de ahi en adelante se me hizo muy tedioso, pienso que no iba directamente al punto.
Linda
May 18, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
An excellent book with an important message. But if anyone ever needed a co-author, it's Dr. Carson---he's a man of many gifts and talents, but writing isn't one of them. P.S. I see he had a co-author; he needs a different one.
Crystal Lindsey
Dec 06, 2013 Crystal Lindsey rated it it was amazing
What can I say. The writer is so humble and truthful about his medical experiences and himself. Love it.
C. Moorer
May 15, 2010 C. Moorer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a teacher of life. This book had a profound impact on my drive and pursuits in higher education at a very pivotal time in my life...
Ștefan Băbălău
Mar 06, 2013 Ștefan Băbălău rated it it was amazing
Doctorul Ben Carson este licenţiat al Universităţii Yale şi al Facultăţii de Medicină de la Universitatea din Michigan. În prezent, este directorul secţiei de neurochirurgie infantilă a Spitalului Universităţii John Hopkms din Baltiniore, Maryland. Locuieşte împreună cu soţia, Candy, şi cu cei trei fii în West Fnendship, Maryland. Este autorul a 4 cărți best-seller-uri, ( Mâini înzestrate, Gândește cutezător, Imaginea de ansamblu și Asumă-ți riscul).

În “Gândeşte cutezător”, doctorul Carson dezvă
Rebecca
Mar 29, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All people on this planet.
Recommended to Rebecca by: My sister, long time ago.
Aceasta carte intradevar e influentabila. Am descoperit in paginile ei o uimitoare capodopera a tipului de viata pe care-o putem trai pe acest pamant. "Gandeste Cutezator"(Think Big) este un acrostih impresionant pe care Dr.Carson l-a format pentru a-si accentua opinia sa referitoare a felul nostru de a gandi si la posibilitatile pe care noi oamenii putem avea deaface cu. T= TALENT, cu totii dispunem de el. H(hope)= SPERANTA, nu putem trai fara ea. I= INSIGHT (PERSPICACITATE) e ascultarea altor ...more
Alex Timberman
Nov 24, 2013 Alex Timberman rated it it was amazing
He grew up poor as an African American raised by a single mother. That didn’t stop him from becoming one of the best neurosurgeons in the country, at John Hopkins. I usually don’t enjoy self-help books but Ben Carson really tells things honestly and explains clearly how he has become so successful. It was his mother who gave him the confidence to study. She encouraged him to make weekly book reports and told him he could always do anything better than anyone else, even when he was one of the wor ...more
AJ
this book mostly reads as a self-help material, although you can feel a certain visible distinction that it's mainly composed of two halves: a part of a his own life's autobiography and the interesting acrostic detailed explanation of the phrase "think big".

At first the slow pace of the book and the almost countless persons the Doctor mentions somewhat stressed me out but then the longer I kept at reading the easier and more familiar I got to like the Doctor's style of writing...even though the
Lonnie West
If I had my kids back home, I'd make this required reading--this one and many books in general. In spite of poverty, racism, divorce, and a mother with a 3rd grade education, Ben Carson became a neurosurgeon at Johns Hopkins.

He had a wise and praying mother who limited t.v. and required he and his brother to read 2 books a week. (Some of his mom's wisdom came from working as a housekeeper in the homes of wealthy and successful people.) He would credit, for his success, these things plus hard wo
Lauren Willett
Dec 30, 2013 Lauren Willett rated it really liked it
I read this 14 years old. I am now on the 2 books a week program from my mother. I know for a fact I won't become a neurosurgeon but hopefully something successful! Ben Carson shows you how to put your trust in God and tells you about his past, medical miracles when he calls out to God, he helps you to straighten you're priority's, and shows and tells you how to be a role model even if he didn't mean to when he wrote this. I now really look up to Ben Carson because of his strong faith and leader ...more
Verona
May 11, 2015 Verona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an admirable man Dr. Ben Carson is! I accept and believe the principles he teaches and lives by. This book is loaded with great standards to guide us through our lives. I particularly like his acrostic for the title of his book Think Big:
T-Talent
H-Honest
I-Insight
N-Nice
K-Knowledge
B-Books
I-In-Depth
G-God
the best thing about this acrostic is knowing that Dr. Carson lives by these things. I really enjoyed all his personal stories to illustrate each principle. His modesty and humility in spite
Katee
Apr 28, 2014 Katee rated it liked it
I typically dislike nonfiction for the fact that I find it boring unless I am truly interested in the subject. This book was alright. I had read Dr. Carson's book "Gifted Hands" back in middle school, and thought this book was going to be different.

This book tells a lot of the same stories as his first book: a boy who is poor and learns his way out of the ghetto and ends up being a highly famous, respected, and knowledgeable doctor in the area of neurosurgery. Some of the concepts Dr. Carson te
Suave Marve
Oct 29, 2013 Suave Marve rated it it was amazing
Every once in a while you run into a book that changes your life forever......this one definitely changed mine.....A straight F student with a huge temper that went on to become a straight A student with a much milder manner and accomplish so many goals in the medical field all by turning off the TV.....I have limited my TV time and will do the same for my kids....It has definitely made a huge difference in my life! I was blessed to meet him and get him to autograph my copy......As so many other ...more
Matilda
Jul 05, 2014 Matilda rated it really liked it
I purchased this book about a year ago not long after I read "gifted hands".

I made a decision to get through all the books that have been patiently waiting to be read. This time it was think big.

To be honest the first half of the book I thought to myself what does any of this have to do with thinking big, but I persisted (just as well I was enjoying what I was reading) and the golden nuggets eventually came.

The stories that Ben tells at the start of he book lay ground for think big.

Think big i
Liezel Patricio
Feb 02, 2014 Liezel Patricio rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Ben Carson is a very intelligent man who shares the wisdom of his life and how he learned to excel and succeed in his profession. He doesn't take all the credit for himself but rather shared the limelight with many of those who changed his life through out the years. This book shares insight on how each of us can succeed and live by the acronym of "THINK BIG" In all that we do we should always do our best.
Tyler Barker
Jul 03, 2014 Tyler Barker rated it it was amazing
Ben Carson is a truly inspiring man. He writes his personal story from the inner city and underachieving school life to the top of the neuroscience medicine. He gives all the glory to God and includes wonderful scriptures to live by. He really gets you thinking bigger and gives you a big push to dream big!
Bonnie Florek
May 19, 2015 Bonnie Florek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Book/Excellent Man

Ben Carson is a man of God. He is a miracle who performs miracles. This book is a book of hope, encouragement and true Godly wisdom. A must -read for anyone who wants to know how to live according to God's plan, a life dedicated to Him and to His people. A wonderful book from a truly wonderful man.
Hali
Apr 26, 2014 Hali rated it really liked it
What Ben's mother & Ben did in overcoming adversity is amazing. It was really inspiring to read this book. It was refreshing to read about an elite doctor who also gave credit to others he worked with down to the front office staff and his teachers. He overcame a lot of adversity by accepting personal responsibility and relying on his faith.
Andre
Jul 25, 2015 Andre rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Andre by: My Mother
This book is a must read for everyone. Ben Carson actually opens up on life's concepts for setting goals and achieving them. He shows where one needs to take control of what is contained in the mind to get desirable results. And by taking control one needs to feed the mind with positive thoughts and be determined.

At this point after reading this book you will never be the same.
Franky Lee
Feb 03, 2014 Franky Lee rated it really liked it
Good inspirational book accounts his own growth since childhood. He pointed out the anecdotes that contributed to his success as well as tools in how to live a more successful life. Although he repeats many of the same ideas in different parts of the book, it's still a good book.
  • Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story
  • The Quest: One Man's Search for Peace, Insight, and Healing in an Endangered World
  • Hey, Wait a Minute
  • David Livingstone: Africa's Trailblazer (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Buried Treasure: Hidden Wisdom from the Hebrew Language
  • The Shadow Party: How George Soros, Hillary Clinton, and Sixties Radicals Seized Control of the Democratic Party
  • Gray Matter: A Neurosurgeon Discovers the Power of Prayer... One Patient at a Time
  • Faith and Doubt
  • The Soul of Science
  • The Desire of Ages (Conflict of the Ages Series)
  • Every Day Deserves a Chance: Wake Up to the Gift of 24 Hours
  • ثق بنفسك وحقق ما تريد
  • Improving Your Serve
  • Every Other Monday: Twenty Years of Life, Lunch, Faith, and Friendship
  • Five Minutes on Mondays: Finding Unexpected Purpose, Peace, and Fulfillment at Work
  • Inevitable: Mass Customized Learning: Learning in the Age of Empowerment
  • Exploring Creation with Biology
  • A Couple's Guide to Communication
Benjamin Solomon "Ben" Carson, Sr., M.D. is an American neurosurgeon and the Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian award in the United States by President George W. Bush in 2008.
More about Ben Carson...

“Everyone in the world worth being nice to. Because God never creates inferior human beings, each person deserves respect and dignity.” 210 likes
“Tell the truth. If you tell the truth all the time you don't have to worry three months down the line about what you said three months earlier. Truth is always the truth. You won't have to complicate your life by trying to cover up.” 166 likes