Start by marking “Charmides” as Want to Read:
Charmides
read book

Charmides

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  290 ratings  ·  20 reviews
A literal translation, allowing the simplicity and vigor of the Greek diction to shine through.
Published April 1st 1986 by Hackett Publishing Company, Inc. (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Charmides, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charmides

Greg

I dare say that what I am saying is nonsense, I replied; and yet if a man has any feeling of what is due to himself, he cannot let the thought which comes into his mind pass away unheeded and unexamined.

Synopsis:

Socrates, who elsewhere is described as quite ugly, is hanging out in a wrestling gym when this totally hot younger guy walks in. "Dude, he's hot," Socrates says. "Yeah, but wait till you see him naked, he's got a killer bod," Chaerephon says. "Hey Critias, call your hot cousin over here
Manny
[A singles bar in Athens. CHARMIDES, CRITAS, SOCRATES and OSCAR WILDE]

SOCRATES: ... Now consider again the nature of temperance.

CHARMIDES: Of what?

SOCRATES: It's an ancient Greek term that doesn't translate well into English. [Aside] Zeus, he's hot!

CHARMIDES: Oh... right.

SOCRATES: Well, if you possessed temperance, would you post better reviews on Goodreads?

CHARMIDES: You mean, if it had been invented yet?

SOCRATES: Naturally.

CHARMIDES: I guess not.

SOCRATES: Would you get more votes?

CHARMIDES:
Miriam
Aug 28, 2012 Miriam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Miriam by: philosophy class
Shelves: ideas
The teacher of the philosophy course for which I read this nicknamed one of the guys in the class "Charmides." I hope that kid got an A.
Duffy Pratt
On one level, this is just a primer by Socrates on how to pick up a hot guy. It's also a typical working of the Socratic method. People start out thinking they know something, but by the end, everyone sees they are better off now realizing that they know nothing at all. In one way, this dialogue is especially interesting, because there is no English translation for the virtue that Charmides is trying to define. Thus, when he is giving a definition of it, he's defining something that we really ne ...more
i!
An entirely strange dialogue in which Socrates and Critias both fail totally to find a satisfying, even to themselves, conclusion or definition. I couldn't stop thinking what a ridiculous figure Socrates must have struck to Charmides and his mates, although this sentiment is leavened in the end with some lighthearted, laughably creepy banter.

Some good things come about as byproduct. The science of man's self I think is a good enough conclusion, although with "science" taken as a metaphor, not a
Maan Kawas
A beautiful dialogue by the great Ancient Greek philosopher, Plato, which basically deals with definition temperance (in Greek: Sophrosyne)! I particularly loved the idea of self-knowledge, knowing what one knows and what one does not know. Furthermore, I loved the discussion on the relation between medicine and science. The dialogue did not reach a precise definition of temperance, but it raised various important question, which makes it an interesting and enjoyable philosophical work.
Maxfield
Plato's Socrates is a pain in the ass as usual. The ending lets you wonder whether he's about to take fair Charmides to his bed-chamber.
Realini
Charmides by Plato
About Wisdom

Like most of the other dialogues, this one is also beautiful.
To read about wisdom, virtue, good, valor and he most important human qualities is in itself a joy.
Diderot has said that
“A superior mind profits from a page of Plato more than from a thousand pages of critique…
Plato talks about the general harmony of the universe in such a way, that the Almighty Himself would borrow his language and ideas…”
In other words, instead of reading this note of mine here, you ar
Jason
The Platonic dialogues are called such because they are just that...dialogues. Usually with Socrates and one or two other voices attempting to answer a particular question, what is temperance or wisdom in this case. The brilliance of Plato is that he never answers the questions that he raises. There are layers to his dialogue. The dialogue that is recorded is not the important dialogue that Plato is concerned with...it is the dialogue between the reader and the text in which Plato finds his geni ...more
Sidharth Vardhan
Okay, so hare are a bunch of nerd teachers who happen to see a handsome boy and ...

Okay, I'm reading philosophy so clearly I'm no mood for jokes. The subject of dialogue is temperance which according to Google means (in its widest sense) the lacking of any bad qualities. Socrates claims his own innocence about subject (which he usually does) and wants someone to come up with an acceptable definition.

The only accepted assumption is that temperance is something good. First argument is that it mean
Steven Untalan
A quick read that was both engaging and thought provoking.
Averill
Once you get thru the blatant homosexual intro it's an ok read. Socrates doesn't seem to get very far with the idea of temperance, but I don't think that was the point. The whole thing may have just been Socrates macking on some young guy.
Chris Bush
This is not a work to be read only once, or with your mind asleep. I am currently rereading it by section, and rewriting it in my own words.
Rose
Like the Symposium, this text shows a side of ancient Greek culture that I didn't know much about and hadn't expected to see in Plato. Again it casts Socrates not just as a philosopher expelling wisdom, but a human with relationships and desires... It's a little odd to read when you're used to and expecting a normal philosophical text, but it is a strangely enticing read.
Kaye
Great translation. The notes at the beginning were very helpful, and the footnotes provided excellent explanations.
Vincent Russo
This is a dialogue that takes place primarily between Socrates and Charmides, and focuses on the concept of temperance and wisdom. The primal idea of wisdom is essentially knowing that one does not know. Perhaps intuitive by today's standards, perhaps not, I suppose it depends on who you ask. The points that Socrates makes throughout the dialogue are a bit redundant, however, the redundancy is also helpful at posing points from various perspectives.
Yann
Dans ces deux dialogues, Socrate utilise sa méthode favorite d'investigation et de recherche de la vérité avec une simplicité feinte et beaucoup de bienveillance à l'égard des beaux jeunes hommes qui l'écoutent avec avidité. Il n'hésite pas à emprunter de fausses pistes pour mieux revenir en arrière, ou invoquer de subites inspirations divines pour induire de nouvelles pièces à l’enquête.
pearl
A P O R I A
Chitra
Chitra marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Leila
Leila marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
  • Philosophy Before Socrates: An Introduction with Texts and Commentary
  • The Histories
  • Fragments
  • The Enneads
  • Wasps (Clarendon Paperbacks)
  • On Great Writing (On the Sublime)
  • The Persians
  • The Analysis of Mind
  • On Duties (Cambridge Texts in the History of Political Thought)
  • The Memorable Thoughts of Socrates
  • The Discourses
(Greek: Πλάτων) (Arabic: أفلاطون)
Plato is a Classical Greek philosopher, mathematician, student of Socrates, writer of philosophical dialogues, and founder of the Academy in Athens, the first institution of higher learning in the Western world. Along with his mentor, Socrates, and his student, Aristotle, Plato helped to lay the foundations of Western philosophy and science.

Plato is one of the most
More about Plato...
The Republic The Trial and Death of Socrates The Symposium Apology Five Dialogues: Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Meno, Phaedo