Start by marking “Its My Birthday” as Want to Read:
Its My Birthday

Its My Birthday

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  25 reviews
What could be better than sharing a birthday cake with the friends who helped to bake it? In this whimsical tale, generous friends help a small child assemble the ingredients for a delicious cake. Full of fun and good cheer, Helen Oxenbury's colorful picture book makes any day a celebration.
Published August 1st 1994 by Candlewick Press (first published May 19th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Its My Birthday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Its My Birthday

Melissa
Totally charmed! What a lovely counterpoint to Little Red Hen, too. I love the fanciful ways the animals acquire the ingredients: the hens picking up eggs with their wings and delicately adding them to a basket, the pig asking for a pinch of salt from--who else--picnicking otters, the dog pragmatically picking some sugar up at the store, and then (why not?) a monkey and a bear in the middle of all the farm animals. Other great details: the bear bouncing a soccer ball on his head; the cat interru ...more
Jenny
I have given this book a low rating because I didn't feel it brought too much into a classroom for me. Sure their are many things that one as the teacher could do But I didn't feel like I would choose it if I had the chance. The book is about a little boy who is very focused on his birthday and making his birthday cake with many animals and they all come,together to help him make it but to me the message this gives out is just that every birthday needs to have cake and you need to have it. What ...more
Savannah Spaulding
This story was about a little boy who is having a birthday and wants to share the happiness of making his cake with his friends. The Hen helps bring the eggs for the cake. The pig brings a pinch of salt for the cake from the otters. While the dog goes to get the sugar. The cat bring offers to bring the milk for the cake and the bear offers to bring the flour. Once the cake is made the monkey gets cherries to put on top of the cake. Each friend helps while the boy stirs and bakes the cake. Becaus ...more
Jalen
Althouogh this book woud not be on my top 10 favorite children's book , it is a great story to read if you as an educator are incorporating cake baking into a science lesson. I did however enjoy al the animals that gathered around to help the little boy bake his own birthday cake, but I would have added a parent or guardian in the story for safety precautions, other than it was a good book but not sure I would recommend it otherwise then a cake baking lesson or just have it ont he shelf for cild ...more
Darchelle Young
I greatly enjoy baking and I believe children can use this book to cook with parents. I felt that the book tried to hit too many concepts as they introduced animals, measurements, ingredients, and baking. This would need scaffolding and may be best utilized by actually cooking while reading. The content introducing animals can be a separate lesson so that the children get the most out of the story.
Ayana
I really enjoyed this book and how all the animals came together to bake a cake. The book has some repetition and would be also good to read on a child's birthday in the classroom. The pictures are not that vivid but are straight forward and to the point.
Britteny Gilge
It’s my birthday is a story about a boy who is trying to make a birthday cake for his birthday. He gets eggs from the chicken, flour from the bear, milk from the cat, salt from the pig, sugar from the dog, and finally cherries from the monkey. He finally has all the ingredients he needs to start making the cake. His animals insist on helping him finally the cake is done and he starts to walk away. The animals are sad because they think that he is going to ask them to leave now. However, he inste ...more
Sujeewa Ranasinghe
It's My Birthday book has very simple and repetitive text, therefore, when we read the book two three times children can retell the story by themselves. Illustrations also very cute and easy to understand the story. Using this book we can teach rhyming words and word families such as cake and make words create "ake" word family.
Donna Smith
This book could be used to teach many lessons. It could be used for math in measurements with ingredients used for baking the cake. It a great tool for teaching rhymes as well as for teaching teamwork. Lots of colorful illustration.
Jacqueline Lewis
I think this book is great for showing children how to work together to achieve one goal. It shows how things can go smoothly when everyone participates. I love that his friends were willing to help and so get to enjoy the cake with him.
Kelcey
Who doesn't love help. In this book we can teach helping others or we can just talk about birthdays. Overall I really like this book. I don't think it can be used all the time but it has a very appropriate place in the classroom.
Cindy
I mean it's not everyday you have animals helping you bake your birthday cake. Lovely book to read to children on their birthdays :)
Olesya Johnson
This book teaches children that together friends can get things accomplished that can’t be done alone. It has lots of repetition and is easy to follow. Children will be able to quickly read this book by themselves.
Patricia Iluonakhamhe
I like to read this book to children especially on their birthday. Teach children what they need to make a birthday
Justyna Johns
If you want to make a cake this is a book to read. Step-by-step directions, explanation of how many steps it needs to create something.
Cute and sweet.
Kelly
I should also put this book on the "mystery" shelf, because it seems that no one knows if the main character is a boy or a girl...
Green Bean
A little boy has big plans for his birthday cake.Sadly his pantry is empty! Luckily he has a menagerie of generous friends! Bear donates some flour, chicken lays eggs, cat chips in some milk and butter, and monkey proffers cherries for the top! Will the little boy gobble up the big birthday cake all by himself? Oxenbury's pastel illustrations are "awww" inspiring as usual!
Logan Young
1st and 2nd grade. Quick read. Story about a little monster named billy who learns the hard way it's better to share, so that you don't end up playing alone.this story babe good for a 1st or 2nd grade class bc many of them have a difficult time sharing.
Chris Maguire
I read this at Chapters in Nanaimo the other day while my kids were playing with the toys. I love it. Reminded me of The Little Red Hen except extremely positive and unrealistic.
Mandy
(3.5 stars)

A little girl announces to her animal friends that it's her birthday, that she is going to bake a cake, and if she may borrow some ingredients from them.
Julia Forrester
My kids love this book. Beautiful illustrations and a great beginner reader book as the story repeats the same lines over and over as the story builds.
Huda
It's the child's birthday, and making the bday cake is so much fun with friends around helping, each in their area of expertise
Katie Casey
It takes a whole team of animal friends to help this birthday boy bake his cake! It's a fun read and nice illustrations.
Camille
Read a lot leading up to Camille's big day!
Amy
One of Jaden's favorites. Very cute child's book.
Aiyah
Aiyah marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Emily
Emily added it
Jul 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Married to John Burningham

Growing up in Ipswich, England, Helen Oxenbury loved nothing more than drawing. As a teenager, she entered art school and basked in the pleasure of drawing, and nothing but drawing, all day. During vacations she helped out at the Ipswich Repertory Theatre workshop, mixing paints for set designers. It was there that she decided her f
More about Helen Oxenbury...
Tickle, Tickle Clap Hands All Fall Down Say Goodnight I Hear