Blank-133x176
Wittgenstein in 90 Min...

Paul Strathern

Wittgenstein in 90 Minutes (Philosophers in 90 Minutes)

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  29 reviews

In Wittgenstein in 90 Minutes, Paul Strathern offers a concise, expert account of Wittgenstein's life and ideas, and explains their influence on man's struggle to understand his existence in the world. The book also includes selections from Wittgenstein's work; a brief list of suggested reading for those who wish to push further; and chronologies that place Wittgenstein wi

Audio CD, 0 pages
Published October 1st 2003 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published January 1st 1996)

Dylan
A very enjoyable little intro. to Wittgenstein. In this brief encounter, one meets the eccentric philosopher in Austria, then travels with him emotionally and intellectually, on his neurotic journeys toward certainty, ethics, and truth. Surely one of the world's all-time most narcissistic people, Wittgenstein was entitled to some sense of greatness, given his intellect and originality. Truly a fascinating, if unreasonable, character. Strathern might have done a bit more with Wittgenstein's Jewis...more
Tom Morris
Strathern paints a wonderful portrait of Wittgenstein's early years and on a biographical level manages to show Wittgenstein in a realistic light: his flaws and failings.

The book's coverage of Wittgenstein's philosophy seems limited though: Strathern describes the Tractatus as an excellent work of philosophy and provides an adequate précis. For Philosophical Investigations, we get the brief remark that language is like a fishing net followed by the conclusion that it's all a load of boring lingu...more
Timothy McNeil
In what may be the best argument against taking Wittgenstein seriously as a philosopher, Strathern (himself a devotee, or at least a disciple to the school of non-philosophy left behind by the troubled Austrian) manages to go the entire book without ever delving into the points of Wittgenstein's philosophies. Instead, he weakly agrees with some points, notes the glaringly obvious faults with others, and (most surprisingly) takes no joy in mocking the foibles of the subject's life; this is wholly...more
A good, solid introduction to Wittgenstein and who he was; what he said (or as the man himself would perhaps want us to focus on, what he did *not* say).
Strathern mentions, it seems, in every section that Wittgenstein wanted to kill himself not only frequently but with a deep, burning desire. We get it. The man was tortured; such is the nature of philosophers. I think of Wittgenstein on the fence between philosophers and linguists, as for me he has come into play most often in the importance of...more
Erik Graff
Aug 09, 2013 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wittgenstein fans
Recommended to Erik by: Ludwig Dorsch
Shelves: philosophy
I read this little screed during an after-party at the apartment of a friend after the bar closed at two. There were a bunch of folks, so my somewhat-less-than-90-minute withdrawal into this library book borrowed by our host didn't disturb the dynamic.

Don't be misled by the title. This is not a serious introduction to Wittgenstein. It is rather an entertainment, an entertainment that will probably be more enjoyed by someone who knows something about Wittgenstein than by someone who knows nothing...more
Dana
Going through a number of the 90 Minute series (more like 40 minutes, honestly) to determine if they're good methods to introduce a family member to modern philosophy. Verdict? It was okay. Probably good for someone without any context of Wittgenstein, but it pretty dismissive of his later work.
Peter Landis
There is more biography than philosophy in this series. However, since other encounters I have had have been the opposite, the biographical context is welcome, especially when listening to the audio.
Benjamin Barzen
This is a nice little intro to Wittgenstein. But I don't feel completely satisfied regarding Wittgensteins philosophical stance, they could have explained more about it.
Amir Mojiry
این کتاب از سری کتابای "فیلسوف ها در 90 دقیقه" ترجمه شده (ویتگنشتانی در 90 دقیقه) کتاب هم دقیقن همین کاربرد رو داره. یعنی در حد یه مطالعه ی کوتاه می تونه آدمو با شخصیت مورد نظر آشنا کنه. چندان هم سطحی نیست کتاب. اتفاقن خوب هم توضیح می ده. البته من قبلن دو تا مقاله ی دیگه در مورد ویتگنشتاین خونده بودم که کمی با این کتاب فرق داشتند. فک کنم قضیه همون "هرکسی از ظن خود شد یار من" باشه.
در هر صورت کتاب بدی نبود. من به قصد آشنایی مختصر با فلسفه ی ویتگنشتانی کتابو گرفتم اما بازم کلی ابهام از این فلسفه تو...more
Mikael Lind
Paul Strathern's biography of Wittgenstein is lucid and fascinating, and is easily the strength of this book. The account of the main thought behind the Tractatus is also interesting. The major flaw of this book is Strathern's strong dislike for the Philosophical Investigations, which he dismisses as 'linguistic nitpicking' virtually without any argument. I am fascinated by the life of Wittgenstein and of his later philosophy, so this book succeeds in giving me what I want in the former regard b...more
Javi
Oversimplified account, but that is what you can expect from the title. I think the book delves too much on his personal life and little on the philosophy, but anyway, helpful for clueless students. The bit about his lectures at Cambridge is hilarious.
Kessia Reyne
This book, also by Strathern and also 90 minutes long, was similarly psychologized, but I minded it less because of the subtle wit woven throughout. Strathern had me chuckling at Wittgenstein many times and though these 90 minutes left me wanting more about his thoughts and less about his suicidal and homosexual brother, it was a helpful introduction. I wouldn't recommend it for someone who wanted to get a handle on his (anti-)philosophy, but for 90 minutes it wasn't a bad intro.
Miss Ashlee  M
Heard someone mention the "in 90 minutes" series a wee bit ago and was thrilled that my library had all of them. The book is a quick read, very witty and, as you might have guessed, definitely geared towards the entry level layman. Seeing as I know very little about Wittgenstein or modern philosophers this was right up my alley. I was a bit disappointed that they didn't cover more of Wittgenstein's philosophy, but I still thought it served as a decent introduction.
Bill  Kerwin
To answer your first question: yes, it really did take me about 90 minutes to read it.

Strathern's little book presents a complex subject with deceptive simplicity. He not only provides the reader with the essential elements of Wittgenstein's "final solution" to philosophy, but tells us many illuminating things about the life of this eccentric, unhappy, scrupulous, driven genius.
Tom Schulte
A real good, brisk overview of the life and work of this eccentric and important (even controversial) thinker. Strathern includes the story of Ludwig's life (dramatic and altrusitic) as well as the evolution of his two philosophies. Supplementary material includes timelines of European and philosophy's history.
Steven Rhodes
Nothing new to anyone with a meager knowledge of Wittgenstein's life and works. I found the book to lack objectivity and depth, and it seemingly brushed aside Philosophical Investigations.

I suppose my biggest gripe is that it really is written for the layman, but I don't know what I was expecting.
S. Annelise
Every chapter ends in a variation of this sentence:
"and then... he retired to his room and contemplated suicide."
I would have loved it for this alone. Audio version read by a haughty Brit.
Diana
Sort of an "Idiot's Guide" to philosophers. I'd heard about Wittgenstein and was curious to learn a little more about him. I'm hoping to read some of Paul Strathern's other 90 minute books.
Bala
Wittgenstein, the mordern philosopher who "found" the solution for the problem of philosophy is an engimatic figure. If you like philosophy, this is a good book to listen to.
Tra-Kay
Mostly a biography, not an overview of his philosophies (although of course there is some of that as well). I found it subtly witty and entertaining.
Luke
A petty, inaccurate hack job. Its only redeeming feature is the presence of several significant quotations from Wittgenstein's works.
Ben
Funny book. I didn't know anything about him. I don't understand his work AT ALL but I laughed at this book multiple times.
Jose
fantastic except i can hardly understand wiggenstein's ideas. deep and at the same time crazy?? i should read bertrand russell.
Mary Beth
finished this book while on pain-killers- It may have made more sense this way
Maxfield
Strathern spares poor Ludwig no backhands in this one.
Mckinley
Wittgenstein in 43 minutes
Jim
I can't talk about it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Paul Strathern (born 1940) is a British writer and academic. He was born in London, and studied at Trinity College, Dublin, after which he served in the Merchant Navy over a period of two years. He then lived on a Greek island. In 1966 he travelled overland to India and the Himalayas. His novel A Season in Abyssinia won a Somerset Maugham Award in 1972.

Besides five novels, he has also written nume...more
More about Paul Strathern...
The Artist, the Philosopher, and the Warrior: The Intersecting Lives of Da Vinci, Machiavelli, and Borgia and the World They Shaped The Medici: Godfathers of the Renaissance Nietzsche in 90 Minutes Aristotle in 90 Minutes Plato in 90 Minutes

“I'd like to hear your opinion on this piece of Beethoven. And remember, it is not Beethoven who is being examined here.” 1 likes