Start by marking “Luke Goes to Bat” as Want to Read:
Luke Goes to Bat

Luke Goes to Bat

Whenever the Dodgers play in Brooklyn, Luke goes up to his roof where he can see the lights of Ebbets Field and imagine each play in the game. Someday he wants to hit a homerun like his hero, Jackie Robinson. But the kids on Bedford Avenue won't let him play. "You're just a squirt," they tell him.
When he finally does get to play stickball with the others, he does so badly
Published February 17th 2005 by Putnam Juvenile (first published 2005)

Ali
Feb 22, 2017 Ali rated it really liked it
A really sweet simple story about the power of never giving up. The presence of baseball player and civil rights hero Jackie Robinson is a nice addition.
Elizabeth Woodruff
Mar 29, 2016 Elizabeth Woodruff rated it really liked it
Luke is a young who is always being looked down upon. Nobody thinks he can play baseball. The older boys pay no attention to him when they are choosing teams. One day they need Luke to play so he does! He strikes out twice and everyone gives him a hard time about it. Luke goes home to his grandma who has tickets to a Dodgers game. Luke is so excited to go to the game! Jackie Robinson is one of his favorite baseball players. In the game it was tied until the very end. Jackie goes up to bat and st ...more
Cortny Green
Nov 05, 2015 Cortny Green rated it it was amazing
Luke Goes To Bat by Rachel Isadora is a cute little story about a boy named Luke. He wants to be a baseball player but when he finally gets a chance to play with his brother's friends, he messes up. So he decides he no longer wants to play baseball. After going to a game and having an imaginary conversation with a baseball player, Luke gets the courage to play baseball again.

This story would be perfect to do a lesson over what do you want to be when you grow up or what is something you really w
Hailey
Mar 30, 2016 Hailey rated it liked it
Shelves: child-lit
This is a story of Luke, who sits on the sidelines of street baseball and dreams of one day being as good as Jackie Robinson. One day Luke gets the chance to play and he strikes out twice, so naturally his confidence goes down. When he gets home his grandma surprises him with two tickets to watch Jackie Robinson play. That night even Jackie almost struck out, and it showed Luke that he just needs to keep trying.
I really enjoyed this book because it didn't seem like an non fiction book even thoug
Jackson Zoellner
Mar 06, 2013 Jackson Zoellner rated it liked it
Wonderful feel good story of a young athlete who has an emotional day at the ball park. When I was a child I didn't read many books that had sports motifs so I can't say how they made me feel back then. But I can say that this book made me shiver with the excitement that only a big league ball park can bring to a young individual. This is such a relatable situation for so many young readers who are having a tough time with sports or really want to be a big leaguer some day. This story gives them ...more
Tammy Barnett
Feb 10, 2016 Tammy Barnett rated it it was amazing
This book is in our new reading series, it is a wonderful story about a little boy and his life experience of striking out. As I read this story I noticed some great vocabulary and a lot of compound words. I think I would use this book more than once for different topics. One thing I would do is use it for the lesson learned about not giving up and maybe using the image of Jackie Robinson that the boy saw. (Was it real?) After I used it for the content I would allow the students to work in pairs ...more
Rosa Cline
Feb 16, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rosa by: Dolly Parton Imagination Library
"The game in this story is based on an actual one that took place in Philadelphia between the Dodgers and the Phillies in 1951. In the fourteenth inning, after a ball and a strike. Jackie Robinson hit a home run that won the game 9-8 for the Dodgers." from the first page of the book.

Wonderful book to help teach children it's okay to not be 'great' the first time they attempt to do something. To keep at it and you get better. The little boy in the story wants to play ball with the big kids and w
The Brothers
Luke is a little boy who desperately wants to take part in his older brother's games of stickball on the streets. But, he's overlooked as being to little. So he "trains" and dreams of being like Jackie Robinson. At last, one day a kid is missing so the older boys let Luke play. Unfortunately, he strikes out and feels awful about it. His grandmother takes him to Ebbets Field that night to see Jackie Robinson play, and Luke see Jackie almost strike out too. But Jackie comes through and hits a home ...more
Ramanda Flannery
Dec 07, 2011 Ramanda Flannery rated it it was amazing
This book is about a little boy that wants badly to play baseball with his brother and his friends. He finally gets a chance to play and strikes out then everyone makes fun of him. He goes to a baseball game that night with his grandmother and Jackie hits a homerun. When he gets home he goes up to the roof and finds a baseball and believes it's the homerun ball Jackie had hit. Jackie appears and tells him to never give up and that he does not hit the ball every time either. The next day he plays ...more
Falan Miller
"Luke goes to bat" is about a young boy in Brooklyn who loves baseball. He is a huge Jackie Robinson fan and later on get good advice from the superstar. All Luke wants to do is play baseball with his older brother and friends. They finally let him play but he strikes out! Will he get an oppurtunity to play again?

This was a fun read. I think a lot of young boy will really enjoy this book. It is easy to relate too and every boy enjoys playing baseball with his friends.

This book could be used to
Ryan Treaster
Nov 19, 2008 Ryan Treaster rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book encouraging students never to give up. Luke always watches and imagines being on the field like when he watches the Dodgers from his roof. He eventually realizes that being a hero also means never giving up no matter what the odds are against you.

Reading Level- Transitional
Curricular Uses- Read aloud or independent reading
Social Issues- Stresses to children never to give up no matter what the odds are. Part of being a hero involves never giving up. Great motivational bo
Emily
Baseball books are always a hit! I thought this book was an entertaining read for several reasons. First, the images in this book are really nicely done. Second, children everywhere can relate to Luke's feelings of being left out and seen as a last resort. And third, the history of Jackie Robinson woven in was fantastic! This book would be a helpful tool in starting classroom conversations with children about the history of baseball, famous African American baseball players, and characteristics ...more
Tima
Jul 10, 2012 Tima rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books

This was a really cute book. My kids both enjoyed it. The pictures are beautiful and fit well with the story. The author used word pictures to create a story that was a learning experience as well as enjoyable.
Arnetha
Aug 20, 2016 Arnetha rated it really liked it
Great read and lovely illustration. Luke really wants to play baseball with his older brother and friends. But he's just too small. After a trip to the ball game with his grandmother he learns that he needs to keep trying and never give up.
The game in this story is based on an actual one that took place in Philadelphia between the Dodgers and the Phillies in 1951. In the 14 inning. After a ball and a strike, Jackie Robinson hit a homerun that won the game. 9–8 for the Dodgers .
Wilhelmina Jenkins
Aug 24, 2008 Wilhelmina Jenkins rated it really liked it
My grandson and I enjoyed this one - and not just because it has a grandma and a grandson in it. a boy who is younger than most of the ball players learns that, with a lot of encouragement and practice, he can become a valuable member of the team. A trip to Ebbets Field with Grandma to see Jackie Robinson and the Brooklyn Dodgers gives Luke the push he need to keep trying. A great picture book for baseball-loving children (and their Grandmas!)
Amber Graves
Oct 04, 2013 Amber Graves rated it liked it
I like the story of Luke as he practices baseball every day so he can play with the bigger kids. He gets discouraged when his first game does not go very well. It all changes for him when he goes to his real first baseball game and sees his role model Jackie Robinson. Jackie teaches Luke to never give up.
Katie (Katrina) Means
This books is great for many reasons. It can be an example for kids not to give up just becuase they missed. It can also be used to remind kids to keep dreaming and use their imaginations. It's baseball and Jackie Robinson. I think it would work for many ages, depending on what the subject is. The illustrations are great but still let kids add their own thoughts.
Rachel
Luke Goes to Bat tells the story of Luke and his longing to play baseball. The story includes some insight into the life of Jackie Robinson. This story combines fiction with some non-fiction which will be fun for students to see the interaction of genres. I would read this to students in third or fourth grade. This would be a neat book to read for a history unit on sports.
Alvera
Mar 22, 2014 Alvera rated it liked it
I'm not much into sports books, but this one has grown on me. Sure, it's a story about a little boy who wants to play baseball well, but it's also a story of perseverance and learning that everybody messes up. My favorite line: "'Not everyone plays like Jackie Robinson all the time... Not even Jackie Robinson.'"
Miranda Gaboury
Oct 27, 2013 Miranda Gaboury rated it liked it
I love this sweet story of never giving up on your dreams. Luke wants to be a great baseball player and play in the street games with his brother but he is still to little. He practices every day but they still don't let him play. Through this story we see what Luke did and how he persevered through criticism to achieve his goal.
Courtney Lau
Feb 04, 2017 Courtney Lau rated it it was amazing
This is a story about a boy named luke who was always the runt and was always left out. At the end of the book he gets to meet Jackie Robinson who tells him to never give up just because the odds are against you. Very inspirational book. This could be used in a lesson dealing with failure.
Jessica Hechsel
Sep 10, 2013 Jessica Hechsel rated it liked it
I liked how this book had a real story behind it -- the plot was a real game and the author was writing it in the eyes of the child. It would exctie children who like baseball to persue their dreams and never give up!
Kayla Jensen
Sep 29, 2015 Kayla Jensen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I also read this book to my students during sports week and they loved it. It has a great story behind it about not giving up no matter what happens in life. Also the book is about how you need to keep working towards your goals. It has a really good backstory behind it.
Ashley Storms
This book is about a boy who is about to give up on his dream of becoming the next Jackie Robinson. However, his grandma encourages him that he has to keep trying! I recommend this books for primary age students. You could use this in a lesson concerning sports or sports history.
Kim
Dec 16, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-kids
This is my son's current favorite. He is 1 and a half. It is a basically story about not giving up featuring baseball and Jackie Robinson. It isn't the most amazing kid's book I have ever read, but my son loves it and I don't get sick of repeated readings.
Angie Quinn-Clark
This was a really decent book. I thought this book was going to be about Jackie Robinson but surprisingly it was about a young boy who wasn’t good at playing baseball but loved the game. The illustrations were very well done and life like.
Margaret Chind
---
My edition is a special paperback edition for the Dolly Parton's Imagination Library 9780399246692.
Emily
Apr 09, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing
it waqs awesome
Tracy
Apr 03, 2013 Tracy rated it liked it
Luke loves baseball but feels frustrated with he strikes out during a game with the big kids. After seeing Jackie Robinson play he has a renewed desire to play ball.

Uses: historical fiction
Danelle Spicer
A great book for children who need motivation to do their best and to just keep trying until you succeed. Book is about a boy who practices his heart out until he does his best.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Little Loon and Papa
  • Sleep, Baby, Sleep
  • Strega Nona's Harvest
  • Little Pink Pup
  • Sam and the Tigers: A Retelling of 'Little Black Sambo'
  • Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy
  • The House that Jack Built
  • The Perfect Present
  • The Moon Over Star
  • One Foot, Two Feet
  • Bun Bun Button
  • Miss Maple's Seeds
Rachel Isadora is an award-winning children's author and illustrator. She has written children's books on multiple topics including ballet, life in America and Africa, and has illustrated several Brother Grimm tales in an African setting. She is most well-known for her Caldecott Honor Award book "Ben's Trumpet". She was a ballet dancer before she became an illustrator and children's writer.
More about Rachel Isadora...