Start by marking “Loving the Way Jesus Loves” as Want to Read:
Loving the Way Jesus Loves

Loving the Way Jesus Loves

Most people are familiar with the “love chapter” of the Bible, 1 Corinthians 13, yet Phil Ryken has something fresh to say. Drawing on the life and ministry of Jesus to illustrate what love is and isn’t, Ryken brings a unique perspective to this commonly quoted passage.

Loving the Way Jesus Loves successfully integrates biblical teaching, photography, chapter study guides,
Published January 5th 2012 by Crossway Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Loving the Way Jesus Loves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loving the Way Jesus Loves

Scott Sjoblom
Aug 29, 2012 Scott Sjoblom rated it it was amazing
Loved the book. It's not often that I find a book filled with conviction AND grace on each page. It was so stirring to see how deeply off the mark I can be at times in my attempts to love those in my life and yet how throughly God is able to love me and love my friends and family through me when I abide in Him.
Anna
Mar 30, 2017 Anna rated it really liked it
Well-written and organized. I liked how he described 1 Corinthians 13 in light of the life of Jesus. Would be a great book for a discussion group.
Omar
Apr 24, 2012 Omar rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology, 2012

Ryken weaves together both 1 Cor. 13 and the Gospels to make a very good book. It continually forced me to think about my love for others. I don't love the way Jesus loves, but I want to. It would be easy to make this a book of do's and dont's, but instead Ryken has written a book that is both practical and encouraging. I look forward to reading it again.
Marie Notcheva
Mar 31, 2014 Marie Notcheva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Is a Person

Loving the way Jesus loves is a daunting task, yet one to which every one of His followers is called. Phil Ryken approaches the central calling of the Christian’s life by walking the reader, slowly and deliberately, through 1 Corinthians 13, the “Love Chapter of the Bible.” Less an exegetical treatment of the text than a life application, Ryken’s approach in Loving the Way Jesus Loves is to show us that love is a Person—Jesus Christ—and not a “feeling” nor an abstract theological
Lisa
Mar 03, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
In short, the book is inspiring in a theological sense, but I was hoping to see more wisdom on how to apply these principles to complex situations. To be fair, the book does not purport to be a relationship help or conflict resolution text. But I had hoped these topics would be addressed more thoroughly since they are interwoven throughout our attempts to love others.

The book examines each phrase of 1 Corinthians 13, "The Love Chapter," and shows how Jesus exemplified it in his life. A common,
James
Feb 15, 2012 James rated it it was amazing
Valentines day is over and are wallets are lighter having spent all our disposable income on chocolate (either as gifts or to console ourselves) it is time think about what love really is. No, not that sentimental saccharine sort of love we just got marketed at us. Not Romance with all its ‘happily ever after’ promise but the sacrificial, lay down your life sort of love.

If you want to know what love is, look at the so-called love chapter has to say:

“If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels,
Trish
Mar 18, 2012 Trish rated it really liked it
Here’s a great book review for a Sunday. I hope you will be as intrigued as I was to read this book.

Loving the Way Jesus Loves by Phil Ryken is a fresh look at what is commonly known as “The Love Chapter,” I Corinthians 13. Although the passage is most famous for being read at weddings, it was not written specifically to describe a romantic relationship.

As Ryken breaks it down, the chapter “establishes the necessity of love (vv 1-3), sketches the character of love (vv. 4-7), and celebrates the p
Since 1 Corinthians 13 is one of my least favorite (=most guilt-inducing) chapters of Scripture, I wanted to read this book for a challenge. For some reason, though, I never particularly got into the book. I like Ryken's approach -- for each of Paul's definitions of "love," he does some basic exegesis, draws an illustration from the life of Jesus, and then applies it to the lives of Christians. His goal throughout is to demonstrate that Jesus is the only one who perfectly fulfills the definition ...more
Jen B.
Sep 23, 2013 Jen B. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
I truly loved this book. I have, over the last few years, really felt a pull to worry less and love more. To get angry less, and love more. I haven't know exactly how to do that, and the emotional side gets to be a challenge. I mean, really, we are human - we are selfish and grumpy and short-tempered and so over those traits interfere with our ability to love well, to love genuinely, to love honestly, to love unconditionally. I found this book to be uplifting, challenging, encouraging, and most ...more
Karoline
Aug 10, 2012 Karoline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
This is excellent. Ryken takes an wonderful approach to expositing 1 Corinthians 13, and illustrates each characteristic of love from the life of Jesus. ("Jesus is patient and kind, Jesus does not envy or boast, Jesus is not arrogant or rude . . . Jesus is not irritable or resentful" etc.")

I've often thought - "I would learn so much better and so much faster if I knew someone who exemplified this love, or this virtue, or this skill" - or anything else - and who better exemplifies love than Love
Becky
Aug 17, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it
In this book, Phil Ryken chronologically takes vignettes from the life of Jesus and applies them to 1 Corinthians 13:3-8. I found this to be a very edifying and compelling way to look at this passage. Ryken points out that this passage is about God's love for us; we can only live it out because of Christ and the way in which he lived and died a life of love and so it is only by looking at the life of Christ that we can truly understand what it means to have a love that is patient, kind, unselfis ...more
Stuart
Loved the book; a good, short and interesting read. I particularly appreciated the expository of each verse, focusing in depth on a portion of scripture and drawing out the implications of each verse and the different characterisations of love. Well worth your time for anyone wanting to be more loving.
James Ritchie
Dec 10, 2013 James Ritchie rated it really liked it
A great book digging in to the love chapter (1 Corinthians 13). Ryken spends a decent chunk of time exploring each description of love.. Patient, kind, not self seeking.. Its great to think so specifically on a particular aspect of love. The best thing about the book was definitely the way in which Ryken highlighted the love of Jesus at each point. His love is patient, his love never fails, his love is not self seeking. This focus meant that the call to for us to love never felt like a call to j ...more
Mark A Powell
Aug 14, 2012 Mark A Powell rated it really liked it
Insightfully combining 1 Corinthians 13 with the life of Jesus, Ryken shows how Christ was the living embodiment of love and thus the supreme example that His people are to follow as they love others in His name. Ryken’s skill is his ability to unveil how Scripture weaves these themes together, especially as displayed in the gospel accounts of Jesus. An immensely helpful (and often convicting) book, reminding Christians that love is what identifies Jesus’ disciples.
Becky Pliego
Because we desperately need to learn how to love the way Jesus loves, my children and read this book together (a little every day after breakfast). We took a slow pace and did many of the "Study Guide" questions that correspond to each chapter.

What makes this book different from the rest of the books I have read about 1Cor 13, is that it points us to Jesus over and over again as our example to follow.

Dennis Henn
Feb 21, 2012 Dennis Henn rated it it was ok
Solid look at 1 Corinthians 13 in connection with examples of Jesus' love as witnessed in the gospels. Ryken provided interesting quotes from Smedes, Lewis, Augustine, Carmichael, and many others. Why then did I fall asleep so often? Why then did those in our study group mention the same problem? This book is very basic. If you are a new Christian or unfamiliar with the Bible, get it and study it. For the rest of you, stick with practicing 1 Corinthians 13.
John
Feb 17, 2013 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2013
This might be more of a 4-star book for most people but it was exactly what I needed to hear at this point in my life. But having said that I can't imagine a time in my life where I wouldn't need to hear this. It convicted me, challenged me in my own selfishness, and taught me some new things about 1 Cor. 13. It's not too scholarly for the average reader so I think this book would be good for anyone.
Michael Berkompas
Dec 03, 2015 Michael Berkompas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal-growth
Absolutely excellent! Phil Ryken powerfully walks us through Christ's ministry, life, and death on the cross as an expose of First Corinthians 13. I love the quote he put at the end by William Res from an old Welsh hymn!

Here is love, vast as the ocean
Loving kindness as the flood
When the Prince of Life, our Ransom
Shed for us His precious blood.
Who His love will not remember?
Who can cease to sing His praise?
He can never be forgotten
Throughout Heav'n's eternal days.
Mdevens28
Jan 09, 2013 Mdevens28 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this novel. It took 1 Corinthians 13 (the love passage) and showed how the chapter mirrors Jesus' life on earth and his journey to the cross. The novel discussed how 1 Corinthians 13 is a description of what perfect love is and how Jesus showed this to us while he was on earth. Because I have only ever thought of this passage in the context of a wedding, I found it very interesting to see it presented in this different light. I would highly recommend this novel.
J Anthony
May 29, 2012 J Anthony rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! The Lord Jesus is glorified throughout the book as each of the love chapter's descriptive verbs are clearly seen throughout Jesus' earthly ministry. "If 1 Corinthians is a portrait of love, then it must be a portrait of Jesus Christ, who is love incarnate." - Phil Ryken / Amen! Read this book!!
Cody
Jul 09, 2014 Cody rated it really liked it
Ryken does a great job of going through the famous love chapter. It goes in a different order than Corinthians does, and it (as expected) nails the heart with super convicting truths that, if followed and applied to life, would massively impact how we treated others. One chapter alone would be a decade long pursuit to master. It's tough, but can be done by God's grace.
Allie
Feb 08, 2012 Allie rated it it was amazing
Ryken does a masterful job of showing how 1 Corinthians 13 "love" is seen in the life and ministry of Jesus. Yet, he does not stop at simply giving a theological definition of love; he shows the reader that this same definition must be applied in our own lives.
Dakota
Sep 04, 2013 Dakota rated it liked it
Shelves: christian-living
Small group reading. I really enjoyed most of this book, but by the end things seemed to be dragging. Regardless, a very helpful and timely devotional reminder of that most difficult Christian obligation, to love.
Mary
Feb 04, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, 2014
A must-read. Deeply convicting, but highly motivating and encouraging. Worked through the book with my women's Bible study group and the relational/group dynamic of discussing the text provided an additional layer of depth.
ChristaAnne
Mar 02, 2012 ChristaAnne rated it liked it
June 25, 2012: Just reread this book and finished the study questions in the back. I found that I actually don't mind the book as much as the study questions. The study questions were either very literal or they attempted to conjure up an emotion. I didn't find them very valuable.
Liz
Jan 06, 2013 Liz rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book. Every chapter convicted me for not having the right kind of love for others, a love that can only come through Christ Jesus. It's a challenging book that any Christian could benefit from reading.
Collin Mcadams
Jun 01, 2016 Collin Mcadams rated it it was amazing
This book is a great book to read, it explains how to love like God loves us. Which is a very hard thing to do. If you want to know how to make the world a better place then read this book.
Nathan Carter
May 30, 2012 Nathan Carter rated it liked it
Use it for the illustrations and quotes about suffering and dying as a Christian.
CJ Bowen
Solid sermonic devotional work expounding 1 Corinthians 13. Most memorable part was Ryken's test case of substituting your name for "love", and then replacing your name with Jesus.
Beth
Jul 16, 2014 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have your highlighter handy when reading - lots of good stuff in this book!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Echoes of Eden: Reflections on Christianity, Literature, and the Arts
  • Gospel in Life Study Guide: Grace Changes Everything
  • Killing Calvinism: How to Destroy a Perfectly Good Theology from the Inside
  • Lit!: A Christian Guide to Reading Books
  • John (St. Andrew's Expositional Commentary)
  • The Life of the Body: Physical Well-Being and Spiritual Formation
207069
Philip Graham Ryken is Senior Minister of Tenth Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia, where he has preached since 1995. He is Bible Teacher for the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals, speaking nationally on the radio program Every Last Word. Dr. Ryken was educated at Wheaton College (IL), Westminster Theological Seminary (PA) and the University of Oxford (UK), from which he received his doctorate ...more
More about Philip Graham Ryken...

“the real issue for most of us is that we always want to place limits on our love. We are ready to give, but only when we have something left over. We are willing to care as long as it isn’t too inconvenient. We are able to love provided that people love us back.” 1 likes
“No one cares how much we know unless they also know how much we care.” 0 likes