Start by marking “The Slough of Despond (The Reality War, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Slough of Despond (The Reality War, #1)

The Slough of Despond (The Reality War #1)

In 1992, Radlan Saravanan runs a small business out of a Tudor cottage in the sleepy English village of Elstow. But Radlan was born in 2951, and when he falls in love with a local girl, he has to choose between running from his own people and condemning his lover to die.

He makes the wrong choice.

Travelling into the past, falling in love… it turns out he was meant to do the
Published February 8th 2012 by Greyhart Press

To ask other readers questions about The Slough of Despond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Slough of Despond

Lesley McCullough
Mar 05, 2012 Lesley McCullough rated it it was amazing
What a great read, I have just finished Book 1 and I will be checking daily to see if Book 2 has been released. An engrossing tale with good solid believable characters, the choices they make (or do they) and subsequent consequences (or realities). The concept of time-travel, paradox and alternate reality has always been mind-blowing and now a mind-blowing novel to live up to it. Hollywood check this out!

I received this novel free in return for an honest review and I have no hesitation in award
Armand
Nov 13, 2012 Armand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of speculative fiction.
Tim Taylor's Reality War #1- the Slough of Despond is a tightly scripted puzzler of a novel that follows the lives of two "men" who are destined to change not just history, but fundamental reality. The two "men" in question are Radlan Saravanan, a man from our future, and Karypsic, a member of a race of lizard-like people in a Saurian-reality that is a shadow of our own. Both Radlan and Karypsic play key roles as their two realities become intertwined and jostle for supremacy.
But these two men's
Sarah Briggs
(I received this book for free as part of the 'read...review...repeat' offer by Grey Hart Press).

(This review may contain spoilers).

I liked the look of this book. I do like science fiction stories and I know bits and pieces about the story of Pilgrim's Progress - not enough to recognise if there were any parallels, but enough to know what I was reading.

There were some parts of the book - quite a few, actually - that I found particularly confusing. I do wonder if that was intentional, though - th
Bob Atkinson
Oct 15, 2012 Bob Atkinson rated it it was amazing
I have always preferred science fiction that is driven by ideas rather than by action and adventure. Too many SF stories are little more than tales of vampires, or cowboys, or villains transplanted into outer space. Original, intelligent, thought provoking science fiction is much more of a challenge to write, but is so much more rewarding to read.
Tim Taylor’s novel ‘The reality War’ is just that: Original, intelligent and thought provoking. His hero, Radlan Saravanan, has inadvertently set in mo
David Brown
Mar 15, 2012 David Brown rated it it was amazing
Some of you may recognize the “slough of despond” from the classic tale, “Pilgrim’s Progress.” The connection is just one way this time-travel, science fiction novel sets its self apart from the pack. I’m one of those sorts who loves history as well as science fiction. So Taylor’s use of Elstow Abbey as one of the time traveling stations scores points with me.

The main character, Radlan, has been stationed upstream of time (the 1970′s through 90′s) longer than anyone else in the history of the se
Melissa Bryan
Nov 09, 2012 Melissa Bryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: done
The Reality War Book 1 is about the time travel Radlan Saravanan, and about how his life starts to intermingle with the people in the past he has been assigned to work in. His assignment is protecting inhabitants from the future in the witness protection program. Since the time he is working in is in the past and the assignment lasts for many years he begins to get involved with a woman What will happen if he gets really involved…will it change history? It is a time paradox; will it affect the p ...more
Alan
Jun 12, 2013 Alan rated it really liked it
A novel of true Science fiction. In contrast to many other stories that classify themselves as science fiction because the author throws in a spaceship or the date is set to a hundred years from now, Tim Taylor offers a true science fiction story. It has it all. Set in a multiverse of time-travellers the characters of different realities have to cope with time paradoxes and fight for the survival of their own reality. While it is very difficult to be unique in this massive genre I did like the T ...more
Eric Williams
Mar 04, 2012 Eric Williams rated it it was amazing
This book is mind bending and fun. It starts slowly and somewhat depressingly, with a man of the future marooned in a dead end job in the 1990s. We soon figure out that the hero (Radlan Smith) is considered a spineless loser by most of his contemporaries. Things begin to pick up when the hero begins to itch for a little excitement, a dangerous thing, since any misstep on his part could cause a ripple effect that could shatter all time and history as he knows it. What's a guy to do when a beautif ...more
Bill Thibadeau
Jun 03, 2012 Bill Thibadeau rated it really liked it
Yes, I have completed The Reality War, Plough of Desmond - BUT it appears that I am not even half way through the entire story. Evidently Part II will be out in late June 2012.

I do not find the esoterical quantum theories entertaining. Yet, I find myself intrigued by Tim Taylor's writings. This is the fourth of his books that I have read. I enjoy the story lines when I strip away the obtuse (to me) theoretical parts. The characters draw me in and I find myself caring about them.

I am looking forw
Alissa Nolan
Oct 15, 2014 Alissa Nolan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I recieved a First Reads copy of this book. This is to me a new look at the science fiction of time travel, causality, and paradox. The reader is "gifted" with the opportunity to see two competing realities. It was difficult to get into the story initially, I was not really sure where the story was going. Also I found it to be somewhat lacking in giving descriptions that would allow me to picture certain events. But the second half of the book really gets going and by the end I was glad to know ...more
Nurture Waratah
This was an interesting and entertaining book. The characters are well-developed, the plot believable and the prose engaging. Unlike many e-books, this book is very well edited - I did not pick up on any errors. I enjoyed this book very much and will be obtaining the second book as soon as I am able.
Andrew Reynolds
Andrew Reynolds rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Bobbi Johnson
Bobbi Johnson marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
David Power
David Power rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Daniel Dickinson
Daniel Dickinson marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Eric Clark
Eric Clark marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Robert Wilson
Robert Wilson rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Emil O.
Emil O. marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Matthew Boyd
Matthew Boyd marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Brenda Seaberg
Brenda Seaberg marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Justin Gasal
Justin Gasal marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Serena
Serena added it
Mar 04, 2016
Paul Higgins
Paul Higgins marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Ida
Ida marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Jeremy Hawes
Jeremy Hawes marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Lorenzo Marasco
Lorenzo Marasco marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Philippe Imfeld
Philippe Imfeld marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Bobbi Johnson
Bobbi Johnson marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: Please add paperback edition of The Slough of Despond 3 17 Oct 04, 2012 08:16AM
  • Gabriel's Redemption
  • Imperium (Caulborn #1)
  • Pirates (Nastragull #1)
  • 3024AD: Short Stories Series One
  • Spring-heeled Jack and the President's Ring (The Magnetron Chronicles, #2)
  • Conditioned Response (Phoenician #2)
  • Fool's Journey
  • Particle Horizon
  • And They Called Her Spider (Bartleby and James Adventures - Galvanic Century - Book 1)
  • The Last Sunset
  • Irradiance
  • Reaper’s Walk: Hellstone
  • Enter Ruinland (Ruinland #1)
  • Guns of Seneca 6 (Guns of Seneca 6, #1)
  • The Clearing
  • The Dominus Runes
  • The Stolen: Two Short Stories
  • If Then

The Reality War (2 books)
  • The City of Destruction (The Reality War, #2)