Start by marking “Dark Country” as Want to Read:
Dark Country

Dark Country (Dungirri #2)

Dark Country is the second book in the loosely-linked series set in Dungirri.

Most people in the small town of Dungirri have considered Morgan ‘Gil’ Gillespie a murderer for eighteen years, so he expects no welcome on his return. What he doesn’t expect is the discovery of a woman’s tortured body in the boot of his car, and new accusations of murder.

Wearied by too many death
Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Published March 1st 2012 by Hachette Australia (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Country

Sharon
Sep 08, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gil was in two minds about returning to his hometown of Dungirri, but there was someone he wanted to visit. Driving towards town he had to make a detour due the road being flooded. As he was driving along the detoured road he was stopped by a car on the side of the road with blue and red flashing lights. Sergeant Kris Matthews’s patrol car was bogged and she needed, Gil to get a message back to her constable to help assist her. Gil offers Kris a lift and at first she is hesitant then decides to ...more
Lynn Spencer
Nov 30, 2014 Lynn Spencer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I picked this book up at RWA several years ago, and now that I've read it, I'm dying to read more from this author. I really wish she had an American publisher! One can order from Australia but the prices are exorbitant both fro print and digital editions.

This particular book centers on the homecoming of Morgan Gillespie, son of a town troublemaker who left Dungirri a convicted felon himself. Now, years later and cleared of his conviction, Gil has returned to a town that welcomes him with someth
Carol Preston
Jul 22, 2014 Carol Preston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story set in a small country Aussie town. Kris is a tough cop on the outside, with a soft and lonely heart. Gil is suspicious of law enforcers, guarded and self sufficient. He has connections to a criminal element, has been in prison, and is clearly not a man to toy with. The relationship that grows between them as they deal with murder, drug dealing, arson and revenge, is fraught with problems but surprisingly tender. Those who like their crime stories laced with unlikely romance ...more
Sarah Anne
I was so pleasantly surprised by this book! I really loved the fact that it was basically a crime thriller with just a tiny touch of romance. And what a story it was! I loved the remote setting with the small town feel, but somehow it still had such a sense of space to it. The whole book was first rate and I can't wait to read more.
puppitypup
Romantic Suspense Disappointing

Well, this did not live up to my expectations, but I suspect that's partly my fault. After the first book in the series, which was remarkable, I had purposely not jumped right into Book 2, saving it instead for a special treat.

While there is nothing really wrong with Dark Country, it didn't grab hold of me, making me feel like I was a part of Dungirri. That deep loneliness and despair, intrinsically tied to the dusty, dying town, never made an appearance here. The
Bree T
Oct 08, 2013 Bree T rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Morgan ‘Gil’ Gillespie has been away from the small country town of Dungirri for a long time. Given most of the population believe he’s a murderer and that he didn’t serve long enough in jail for his crime, it’s no real surprise to him that there’s no warm welcome. But Gil is back to help someone that helped him at a time he desperately needed it and if that stirs up the locals, so be it. He owes someone and he always pays his debts.

When he is driving into town, he meets the local police sergean
Brenda
Dec 12, 2012 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a signed copy by Bronwyn done at her 'signing' in the Collins Store in Tamworth Saturday 31st March, 2012.

In this the second of the Dungirri series, police Sergeant Kris Matthews is the dominant character. We met her first in As Darkness Falls, and it was lovely to learn more about her in this novel.

When Gil came across a police car in the heavy rain and darkness, with its lights flashing, and the raincoat clad cop using a torch to wave him to a stop, he swore, glanced at the speedo, and
Annabel
Sep 11, 2016 Annabel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stunning. Perfect as both a stand alone and as the second in the series.

I was waiting on tenterhooks for this book to come out, you can probably accurately envisage me haunting local bookshops, ever since the first book in the loosely linked series As Darkness Falls fell into my possession. I had a lingering doubt that maybe, it wouldn't be as good? Could it be as good? It is.

Gil has all the trappings of a traditional tall, dark, handsome hero with a dangerous past but there's nothing pat or cl
Lauren K
Dark Country is the second book in the Dungirri series by Bronwyn Parry following on from As Darkness Falls, introducing new hero and heroine; Gil and Kris.

Gil returns to his hometown, Dungirri after estrangement for 18 years and comes across new acting Sergeant Kris Matthews’s experiencing car troubles. The mood is set instantly with Gil on edge around Kris because of his mistreatment by the police force in the past, yet his protectiveness of this red-headed beauty is sparked instantly. He off
Helen
Jun 02, 2014 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gripping story with lots of suspense, set in a country town in Australia. Sympathetic characters and some real baddies too. Love the two main characters and how the history of the town and its people is woven in. The author gets the romance just right.

Dísir
The spotlight falls on Morgan Gillespie and Kris Matthews - a supporting character in the first book - this time around and we're thrown deep into complex issues surrounding witness protection, the limits of law enforcement, organised crime and its spillover into the rural parts of Australia.

I dove straight into Bronwyn Parry's second book in the Dungirri series as soon as I got hold of my copy and while I didn't like it as much as I did her first, there was pretty good round storytelling and a
Mandy
Sep 16, 2016 Mandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable romp through the Australian outback. I like the series - not particularly challenging but a good read nevertheless.
Vanessa Dingle
Jul 26, 2015 Vanessa Dingle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Following on from #1 another easy captivating read.
Bridgit
May 23, 2012 Bridgit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first by Australian author Bronwyn Parry and I really enjoyed it. It was a fascinating look at a suspense/romance in the Australian bush. I havent really read anything about this area of the world before, so that, combined with the compelling, well-developed plot really drew me in. Not sure I can find any of her other books here in the US, but I'll be on the lookout for them.
Sharon
Oct 02, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed number 2 in the trilogy with this one moving along nicely as the 1st book did. Parry's Australian setting combined with her good bugger characters weaves a plausible scene of reality versus will they won't they. I'm looking forward to book 3

Alice
Jun 05, 2013 Alice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
See my thoughts on the first in the 'loosely linked' series by Bronwyn Parry. Ditto. I can't wait for number three to be released. They are wonderful stories and I need to read them in one sitting. Best thing is - I know I'll re-read them.
Robbyn
Oct 23, 2012 Robbyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book, I really enjoyed this, something always happening, twists and turns to keep you in suspense, keep you reading. Will definitely be buying her other 2 books and am hoping to have the same effect. Keep you intrigued, wondering.
May 14, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bronwyn Parry has a lovely way of depicting the Australian Outback. This book had the right amount of suspense and the perfect amount of developing attraction between 2 characters. Now to find the first and third books of Ms Parry's.
Manda Collins
Mar 18, 2010 Manda Collins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even better than the first book in this series. More later. For now I just want to know when the next one is coming out. I'm hoping that Mark Strelitz will be getting his own book.
Leanne
Jan 04, 2012 Leanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad holiday read. Crime/romance set in outback NSW but just too many incidents involving the main characters to make the plot in any way realistic.
Nancy Adams
Sep 11, 2012 Nancy Adams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this new -to -me Australian series. Each book focuses on different characters within a small community.
Annette
Jul 28, 2012 Annette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: australian
Loved it. First book I have read by Bronwyn Parry, and looking forward to the next.
D.B. Tait
Feb 26, 2015 D.B. Tait rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keziah
Aug 11, 2013 Keziah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ruth
Dec 01, 2012 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David Gilchrist
Feb 03, 2013 David Gilchrist rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Parry is a very good author, I would recommend any crime fans to read this
Nerissa
Jul 26, 2011 Nerissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good Aussie drama. Great characters and smal town attitudes.
Gaylene
Nov 21, 2010 Gaylene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
another good read, thanks to Bronwyn
Jocelyn
  • Brumby's Run
  • Man Drought
  • Taking a Chance
  • Promises
I grew up surrounded by books, and have a love of reading and stories. Commercial fiction, literary fiction, children’s literature, history – my bookshelves are forever overflowing!

I write gritty romantic suspense, set in Australia's wild places. My first two books, As Darkness Falls and Dark Country are both available in Australia, NZ, the UK, and Germany, and as ebooks in many other countries t
More about Bronwyn Parry...

Dungirri (3 books)
  • As Darkness Falls (Dungirri, #1)
  • Darkening Skies (Dungirri #3)