Start by marking “Hellenic Immortal (Immortal, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hellenic Immortal (Immortal, #2)

Hellenic Immortal (Immortal #2)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  513 ratings  ·  41 reviews
“Very occasionally, I will pop up in the historical record. Most of the time I’m not at all easy to spot, because most of the time I’m just a guy who does a thing and then disappears again into the background behind someone-or-other who’s busy doing something much more important. But there are a couple of rare occasions when I get a starring role.”

--Adam the Immortal

An ora
Paperback, First, 277 pages
Published May 3rd 2012 by The Writer's Coffee Shop Publishing House (first published May 2nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Hellenic Immortal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellenic Immortal

Passion For Pages
Review from http://passionforpages.blogspot.ca/20...

I’m always a little nervous when starting the second book in a series, especially if I loved the first book. Will it live up to my expectations? What if it doesn’t? What if I find it mind numbingly boring because of a crappy plot and characters that lost the zest they had in book one? Will the author’s eagerness to publish the next installment ruin what I loved about the series to begin with?

Thankfully, I didn’t have to worry about any of that
Sandra
May 15, 2012 Sandra rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who enjoy Fantasy with historical facts
In this sequel to "Immortal", Gene Doucette delivers another fantastic page-turner that kept me riveted to the pages.

Adam, our immortal man, is nursing a somewhat broken heart in Las Vegas a couple of years after the end of the first book, when he notices a young woman following him. With snark and sarcasm, he soon realizes that her intentions are not quite kosher, especially when he's visited in the middle of the night by a man who identifies himself as an FBI agent.

A bit of action and subterf
Astrid Paramita
I am always a bit skeptical about sequels. Especially if it’s the second book. Most times, it failed my expectation by either being a preamble to the amazing conclusion for the third book, or just plain boring. I am happy to report this is definitely not the case with Hellenic Immortal.

It continues on the adventures of Adam, some years after Immortal. It follows a Greek cult and mythology background, some crazy environmentalist, packs a lot of action and a little bit of romance.

The beginning sol
Lukas Lovas
So....the second book of the series, and I still think it's a 5/5. Great, isn't it? :) I am not quite sure, what to think of the implications of the ending...but I liked the book itself a lot. I'm curious about the third book....if the trend of great books continues and, especially, if he's going to chase Eve/Allmother forever, or if he'll actually pin her down someday.
Anoop Menon
Great Great and i can say it is much better than the first , mind you the first is great by itself and the second book stands out and is much better.. great story line with great mysteries and excellent tie-up with the greek mythology.. want more of Adam cant get enough of this series..
Lena
Better the on the second read, practically required as it features prophecies and a slowly revealed secondary plot line. In this book we learn more about Adams time in Greece as Dionysus, yes that was just as fun as it sounds, and the other "mythical" creatures he has befriended over the millennia. I liked it but mostly it left me greedy for book three!
Dr. Ben
I liked this better than the first in the series, I think, though they were both enjoyable. This one feels a bit more coherent (possibly because a good portion of world-building is already done) and just does a solid job as a... light-hearted mystery-thriller? I have no idea what genre to call these. There are still overarching mysteries in the story arc to be answered, and I'm hoping we don't get a Lemony Snicket-esque cop-out at the end, but this was a quick and enjoyable read. Plus the main c ...more
John Herbert
This follow-up book to the brilliant IMMORTAL is highly satisfying.
Of course the impact could never be as great as the first book because you know roughly what's coming.
But the Greek God connection is entertaining and the modern day quest to find answers is always gripping.

You could start with this book but I seriously recommend that you start at the beginning with IMMORTAL.

It seems that IMMORTAL 3 is in production and I, for one, can't wait.
Doucette's style makes for a comfortable read, and the
Mark
Enjoyed the first one Immortal, but this one was .... OK. Still a fun story and some drama at the end, but I didn't feel that same excitement as the first one. The first book was fascinating because of the idea that someone could live for thousands of years and see history personally and walk unknown among us AND that persons unknown would want to capture him. It's an interesting concept how much more precious life is when it's ten thousand years long.

In Hellenic Immortal, that novelty is gone.
Liang
Hrmmmm...I'm very shattered to give a 4 star review, especially after an amazing first book. I was in love with the first, but the second book wasn't as exciting for me. There's just so much Greek mythology that kind of lost me. I suppose somebody who's into that stuff might enjoy this more. I still liked it nevertheless. I love the little tales of his past too. It's so funny how many cultures of the past regarded him as a God. I still want to be Adam. I mean, who wouldn't want longevity!? And o ...more
Yatish
After that excellent first book, I couldn't wait to get my hands on book 2 and let me tell you this book doesn't disappoint.
The humor and sarcasm of Adam is still well alive and kicking. He should have his own Wikiquote page!!
This time we the story goes Greek and with his blend of real and historical events Gene adds the realness and humor to the story especially seeing it with Adam's eyes which sometimes contradict published academic articles.
By the end of it you are firmly on Team Adam! May
Katrina Tinnon
Hellenic Immortal takes place a couple of years after Adam's escape from the compound. Adam has to figure out how to keep an oracle's prediction from happening. She predicts his end, and he can't have that.

We learn that Adam has held some pretty impressive names over his life span. (You'll have to read the book to find them out ;). ) We are also introduced to new breeds of creatures including: satyrs, werewolves, and nymphs.

During Adam's trips into memory lane we get to see Ancient Greece. Gre
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
This book left me very disappointed. It picked up shortly after the first book ended, but had almost no returning characters and didn't answer many of the questions I had after reading the first book. I did learn quite a bit about a particular period of Adam's history, but there were so many rambling asides that it was hard to keep track of the many storyline.

I found the humour to be much less than in the first book. The story kept my attention in the second half, but it didn't have the same imp
Tracy Jones
“Hellenic Immortal” is an amazing continuance in the world of Adam the Immortal. Once again the dynamic adventures of his present day life intermingles with something from his long life’s past, sending him on a quest to undo a previous wrong that he had not intended to do. In his own words, Adam admits to the mistakes he has made and knows without question that it is up to him to find a solution to a very bad situation that has reared its ugly head in the present. With the help of friends, old ...more
Tahlia Newland
In Immortal, Gene Doucette’s first novel in this series, we met Adam, an immortal man who is not a vampire, simply a man who doesn’t age. Apart from that, he’s an ordinary kind of guy with a wonderful wit, and it’s a pleasure to meet him again in this fascinating sequel, a clever blend of history, mythology, fantasy, adventure, mystery and romance.

Blurb: An oracle has predicted the sojourner's end, which is a problem for Adam insofar as he has never encountered an oracular prediction that didn't
Raymond Masters
Last April, I hosted an excerpt to Gene Doucette’s Immortal to help out his blog tour. As I indicated, it is one of my favorites from recent memory. Naturally, when I heard that Doucette was coming out with its sequel, I jumped all over it. I wasn’t sure if Hellenic Immortal would be better than the original, but I knew it would have to really blow me away for that to happen. Well, let’s just say it happened.

Once again, Doucette gives the reader a fantastic voice to “listen” to in Adam. Oh, but
The TBR Pile *Book review site*
Full Review: http://thetbrpile.weebly.com/1/post/2...

Gene Doucette has created a character with a wonderful, self-deprecating voice and the way the tale is spun is perfectly paced. All the little trailing details come together at the end of the story in a delightful way and the on-going tease of the immortal woman met briefly in the previous novel is added to in this one. With just a few glimpses of supporting characters from the first book, another interesting cast is introduced in this one, an
Kristi
I picked this up immediately on finishing the first Adam story and devoted my Sunday afternoon to it. While I had hoped for more resolution to the questions unresolved in the first book, I nonetheless enjoyed this story in its own right. It's addictive-I couldn't put it down once it got started. Adam is such an interesting character, and his story is well-told. It moves quickly but still manages to give all the details. If there was a third book in the series on Amazon, I would have snatched it ...more
Charmaine
Not as good as the first
Donna Huber
Maybe my expectations were too high after Immortal, but something seemed off to me in Hellenic Immortal. I'm very character oriented when reading and I just didn't connect with this cast of characters. I'm glad I read it because we learned who the red-headed woman is (more or less). This installment leaned more towards fantasy, than science fiction. Read full review at Girl Who Reads
Neil
Loved the first book and expected the same or more from this but it fell flat. The first had loads of humour with sharp sarcastic comments littered throughout but in this book you had to search for them. I felt that the story itself was weak and although it did tie up inthe end I still thought it could have been a lot better expecially if you consider what Gebe Doucette has to work with - 60 000 years of history. Dissapointing.
Sean
Oct 12, 2014 Sean rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
Received from Netgalley for review
I did not know what to think about this book.I really enjoyed Immortal, so I was looking forward to Hellenic Immortal.It started well with the same sense of humour and history of the first book,but the excerpts put me off and It felt a bit disjointed.I will go on to read book 3 as I would like to see what happens next.
Overall slightly disappointed.
Andrea (mrsaubergine)
A great sequel starring Adam the Immortal, this time rubbing shoulders with Greek satyrs, cult members, and a conniving woman or two. Always amusing, this series reminds me of the Iron Druid books by Kevin Hearne, with the same kind of dry wit and wise-cracking, intelligent hero. A third book is planned and I suspect the goddess Demeter will make another appearance. I can't wait!
Sahil
not as fun as the first part.
Adam
Not as good or exciting as the first, but notice I still gave it 4 stars. Still a fan of the style and overall tone, just wasn't quite as good as the first. Maybe it's because the first one caught me by surprise. This book is cleverly written fun and extremely easy to read, all pluses in my book, pretty good followup to the first book.
Akhil teja
the narration.. no one can beat Jean Doucette in that..
funny.. never lost the grip on story..
never bored.. it's like going to your favourite place with your BFFs..weather is perfect.. life is awesome.
Adam is my favorite book character ..
he is invincible.. he is funny.. moreover he is good sometimes.. what you need in fantasy??
Sally Bisbee
Oh no! I'm almost finished! Luckily, I have a couple dozen other books to keep me busy while I wait for the next installment...

I got confused and read the sequel first. No problem! It was every bit as good as this one and even had some Greek mythology in it. I love Greek mythology!!!
Nathalia
A little weaker than Immortal, but still a fantastic read! Adam is sarcastic as ever, the flash backs are still incredibly enjoyable and we get appearances from new races. I wasn't as interested in this novel as much as I was with Immortal, however it still surpassed my expectations.
Annelies
I liked this sequel a lot. It had suspense, some comedy and some unexpected events! The ending also kinda gives a hint that there will be another book, but you're not left with a huge cliffhanger, biting your nails. So looking forward to more Adam!
Derek
Another good adventure with Adam, and the Grecian element added to the story, it was interesting seeing the Immortals ties with the Grecian gods, a solid sequel to a great debut. If another book is on the horizon, I will be reading it. :)
  • Scary Dead Things (The Tome of Bill, #2)
  • Winter Winds
  • Forced Ascent (Demon Accords, #6)
  • The Guardians (MORE, #2)
  • The Devil Will Do
  • With Silent Screams  (Hellequin Chronicles #3)
  • Mountain Charm (Appalachian Heart Collection, #2)
  • The Hammer of Darkness
  • Distant Star (The Reminiscent Exile, #1)
  • Green Flame Assassin (Demon Lord, #2)
  • Driven (The Warrior, #2)
  • Stones in the Road (Sugar Tree #2)
  • Lightning Rider
  • The Darkest Day (Immortal Heat, #1)
  • The Silent Swan
Gene Doucette is the author of Immortal and Hellenic Immortal, Fixer, and the upcoming third Immortal book, Immortal at the Edge of the World.

Gene has written short stories as well: Surviving Hector a thriller, and the ongoing series The Immortal Chronicles.

Gene is also a humorist and an award-winning screenwriter and playwright. He lives in Cambridge MA with his wife and, when the colleges aren't
More about Gene Doucette...

Immortal (3 books)
  • Immortal (Immortal, #1)
  • Immortal at the Edge of the World (Immortal, #3)
Immortal (Immortal, #1) Immortal at the Edge of the World (Immortal, #3) Fixer Immortal At Sea (The Immortal Chronicles, #1) Hard-Boiled Immortal (The Immortal Chronicles, #2)

“Morning conversations should be between very close friends or lovers, and otherwise avoided entirely.” 3 likes
“Karyos's people adopted an ingenious, if somewhat perplexing attitude that life was a circle. Not like Disney's circle of life thing, which was really just a nice way to say, "death is normal, children, so suck it up.” 2 likes