Start by marking “The Mind At Night: The New Science Of How And Why We Dream” as Want to Read:
The Mind At Night: The New Science Of How And Why We Dream

The Mind At Night: The New Science Of How And Why We Dream

Over the past few decades, there has been a revolution in scientific knowledge about why we dream, what's actually happening to the brain when we do, and what the sleeping mind reveals about our waking hours. Beginning with the birth of dream research in the 1950s, award-winning science reporter Andrea Rock traces the brief but fascinating history of this emerging scientif ...more
Published March 2nd 2004 by Basic Books

To ask other readers questions about The Mind At Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mind At Night

Danielle
Feb 17, 2013 Danielle rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend "The Mind at Night" for readers who are interested in dreaming as it relates to brain function, neurophysiology and chemistry, psychology, personal identity, lucid dreaming, creativity, sleep disorders, mental health, memory and the history of scientific discovery. The development of dream research and discovery is told through the lives and works of the scientists and researchers who studied how the brain creates dreams, and how those dreams affect us.

She plays experiments an
Justarius
Aug 25, 2011 Justarius rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some of the other reviews criticize the lack of depth, but honestly, how much can you pack into 200ish pages? Given the brevity of the book, the author paints a fine picture of what we currently know about dreaming and where the field might be headed next. She weaves in background history and personal stories so that it isn't just another dry science textbook. This is a good, compact, and highly readable introduction to the science of dreaming.
Julie
Apr 28, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites on dream books. Anything dealing with the unconscious mind, dreamily floats its way onto my reading list. The Mind at Night is wonderfully researched and one the best, offering many insights into memory and dreaming that I had not read elsewhere. Some hard-core researchers detailed in this book, one must give respect. The day, I will be truly excited in this area of learning is when dreams can be recorded, though, I will be reluctant to let anyone into my unconscious mind. It ...more
Vladimir
Aug 06, 2013 Vladimir rated it liked it
An interesting read. If you know about this field of research you are not likely to find it as interesting, it is after all a pop science book. However, what is remarkable in this book is how nearly every neuroscientist interviewed had the need out point that, my God, "Freud was wrong". This need to insult psychoanalysis at every chance possible is downright hilarious, because sometimes they come up with explanations "it's not unconscious in the way Freud believed, but it is unconscious because ...more
Daniel R.
Dec 10, 2009 Daniel R. rated it it was amazing
This book provides an excellent history and discussion of current research around dreaming. It is by the far the most approachable book on the topic I've read. Each chapter explores a different aspect of the mind at mind and calls out specific researchers leading the exploration of that area. The books builds upon itself such that the later topics, while dealing with more current and technical material, are digestible as previous chapters laid the groundwork for understanding them.
Roberta
Apr 23, 2009 Roberta rated it liked it
This is a book about the science of dreaming - NOT dream interpretation. It took me forever to read the 200 pages and even though I found parts of it enlightening, I felt relieved when I was finished. I learned that your body actually sometimes becomes paralyzed when you dream. I had a hard time distinguishing between "lucid dreaming" and being awake. Seem like a very fine line to me.
Daria Vesnina
Oct 08, 2015 Daria Vesnina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psy, hack
Пожалуй, лучшая книга про то, как работает мозг в то время, когда человек спит. Попытки понять, как устроено человеческое сознание и визуальные восприятие через анализ спящего человека. Очень хороша, особенно, если перед этим почитать "мозг рассказывает" Рамачандрана.
Maddy Maxey
May 07, 2014 Maddy Maxey rated it really liked it
An enjoyable exploration of consciousness.
Leanna Palermo
May 12, 2012 Leanna Palermo rated it really liked it
I was drawn to this book because of my desire to explore both the left and right brain information about dreams.
There was quiet a bit of history, which I thoroughly enjoyed, from the Upanishad’s to Jung. I especially appreciated the deeper understanding of Freud’s vs. Jung’s take on dream study, and resonated with Jung’s sentiment of “The manifest dream picture is the dream itself and contains the whole meaning of the dream.”
Being in the health care field I loved the emphasis on how healthy, e
Annie
Sep 10, 2016 Annie rated it really liked it
I chose this book because I didn't want myths and theories, I wanted the large-scale analyses of dream journals, EEG findings, and other scientific facts. It delivered and exceeded expectations in this area. There is so much to learn from this book about dreams.

The one downside is the readers has to wade through lengthy anecdotes from the personal lives of the scientists whose research is featured, to get to the gems of information about dreams. The actual information itself is plentiful and wr
Grace
Feb 24, 2015 Grace rated it really liked it
I have never been one to obsess over dream interpretation and the weak reasoning that is behind the so-called meanings of dreams that people often come up with. However, I have long been intrigued with dreams, since I am a lucid dreamer, and dreams are part of my everyday experience. When I first picked up his book in my late middle school or early high school days, I was surprised to find that there were whole studies on sleep and the biological phenomena (i.e. REM) that are associated with dre ...more
Melissa
Jul 27, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am hugely interested in dreams (shameless plug for my DREAMzine- www.thisendlesspresent.com ) and I studied Psychology, so this book combines two things that are completely fascinating to me. It details a vast array of topics relating to dreaming, and is full of theories with summarized research findings and experimental data, and quotes from Neuropsychologists and Dream/Sleep Researchers galore. It is written for average people to read and comprehend, and most of the time it will read easily, ...more
dejah_thoris
Apr 24, 2013 dejah_thoris rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this in a few days and it's a great read for the layperson interested in why we dream. Not much new material for me but I did like the discussion on depression and sleep. Apparently, the depressed would benefit from repeated waking during REM because, unlike normal human beings, our emotions do not get resolved in REM. Instead, the mind dwells on negativity, much like our waking hours, and dreaming merely becomes brooding. The epilogue also noted the problem of medications like Prozac, wh ...more
Kathy
Apr 13, 2012 Kathy rated it liked it
Interesting book, helped me think about dreams in a different way--what their purpose is, what our brains are doing when we dream. I remember a lot of my dreams (like every day), so was curious to know what scientists thought about them. Turns out a lot of my intuited ideas about dreams coincide with what science says currently - namely, that occasionally something momentous happens in dreams, but often its just our brains tuning up, running through the previous day, spinning stories. I did find ...more
Liz
Jan 14, 2016 Liz rated it really liked it
After some searching on Goodreads, this book appeared to be my best bet for tackling the subject of dreams as half neuroscience, half psychoanalysis. It was exactly what I was looking for. It doesn't careen off into the self-help realm. It contains fascinating study after fascinating study without getting overly technical. The author examines what consciousness means, and how the unconscious mind has adapted to help us cope with emotions. Occasionally repetitive, hence the one-star penalty.
Katharine
Jul 26, 2016 Katharine rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, dreams
I read this in an effort to better understand my own dreams. I learned a lot about dream research, but I also learned that there is currently very little research, and there is as of yet no explanation to my specific questions. Apparently the most common dream is a pursuit- I can't say I've ever had one of those. Mine are mostly wandering in a maze, which provides new wonders at every turn and which I never want to leave.
Selene
Aug 05, 2011 Selene rated it liked it
Shelves: science, reviewed
I really liked the beginning of this book. All the information on why we need to sleep and dream was extremely interesting. However I was also very glad to have finished it. More than halfway through the book got a little tedious. I found the information on lucid dreaming and even how you can get a creative edge while dreaming to be dull and perhaps dry (I'm not sure if that's quite the right word).
Liubov Yaroshenko
Oct 14, 2016 Liubov Yaroshenko rated it it was amazing
This book will surprise you by revealing incredible facts (!) about our brains, dreaming process and dreams. For example, everybody has dreams, but we forget them; you can remember a dream, if you wake up straight away and so on and so forth. The book helps discover this topic even deeper.
I highly recommend you to read this book, if you are curious and ready to change your knowledge and the point of view on this topic completely. AND start being more self-conscious
Peace V
Irene
Jul 31, 2011 Irene rated it liked it
Shelves: natural-world
The Mind at Night is an interesting and accessible overview of research into....how and why we dream, just as the title says. I am particularly curious about the finding that too much REM sleep (the kind we need to organize our brains and function well) can contribute to depression. Unfortunately, the book doesn't go into what might be the cause of excessive REM. So....I'm writing to the researcher mentioned in the book. Why not?
Von
Mar 15, 2011 Von rated it it was amazing
Neuroscience and cognition are big draws for me anyway, but this book was quite impressive. The author chronicles the history of research on dreaming. She writes in a highly accessible manner, making the research results understandable, yet accurate. I couldn't put down the book, and have read portions of it numerous times since.
Charles Martin
Dec 06, 2010 Charles Martin rated it liked it
A fascinating book (well, obviously) that is felled by the author's jarring brevity with the actual importance of the experiments and discoveries of the aggregate of scientists profiled within. It is no surprise then that the book itself is a light read, coming in at just around 200 pages. Recommended, but, only as a introductory supplement to other texts with more breadth.
Andrij Zip
A good overview of dreaming, the mind at night and how these relate to consciousness. Rock is wise enough to not offer a definitive answer to the big questions posed ie. why do we dream? what is consciousness? but instead offers a sampling of different theories. A bit didactic at times but overall a fascinating read.
Kelsey
Jul 14, 2008 Kelsey rated it liked it
Interesting book, interesting chapter titles, full of research anecdotes. It presents the biological functions of sleep, namely rewiring, re-enforcing, integrating, filtering and pruning neural networks. I found it particularly interesting that depression could be alleviated by repeatedly waking people in REM sleep. Also, rewiring your motor cortex takes 3 days.
Sam Funderburk
May 09, 2013 Sam Funderburk rated it really liked it
An interesting read. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but there was quite a bit of useless information stuffed in the short 200 pages. If all you are interested in is knowing what the authors and other scientists actual opinion about the meanings of dreams is, all you have to do is read the epilogue.
Jamie
Mar 31, 2011 Jamie rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I wish I had thought of keeping a highlighter handy while reading this.

It took me forever to read this! It's not long or boring, but I read two or three pages at a time. Honestly, it was my bathroom book.

Maybe I'll come back later with some of what I learned.
Mandygallagher
Feb 16, 2010 Mandygallagher rated it it was amazing
All sorts of interesting stuff on a more scientific level about dreaming. I often go back and re-read sections of this book. Too bad there isn't more research approved for this kind of thing. I'd love to know more.
Vera
Jan 30, 2011 Vera rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads
This book discusses current theories about dreams and how they arise in the brain. The author goes over the research done by the main scientists in the field. An interesting book, and understandable to the layperson. (At least to me.)
Kailin
Mar 02, 2013 Kailin rated it really liked it
A well-written book. It answered many of my questions with regards to dreaming and the neuroscience behind it. This is a great introductory book to all those who are interested in the "dreaming mechanism".
And now I am ready to go for more.
Leslie
Sep 26, 2011 Leslie rated it liked it
Good synthesis of (relatively) recent work in cognitive science on dreaming. Especially liked her accounts of lucid dreaming and of the links between dreaming and consciousness.
Kate Yoo
Oct 20, 2013 Kate Yoo rated it liked it
This book is about the sleep. It tells story about the scientist who found things about sleeping. There are lots of interesting facts that I didn't know.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Counting Sheep: The Science and Pleasures of Sleep and Dreams
  • Gay, Straight, and the Reason Why: The Science of Sexual Orientation
  • Clinical Handbook of Psychological Disorders: A Step-by-Step Treatment Manual
  • Louder Than Words: The New Science of How the Mind Makes Meaning
  • An Alchemy of Mind: The Marvel and Mystery of the Brain
  • The Scientific American Day in the Life of Your Brain: A 24 Hour Journal of What's Happening in Your Brain as You Sleep, Dream, Wake Up, Eat, Work, Play, Fight, Love, Worry, Compete, Hope, Make Important Decisions, Age, and Change
  • Foundations of Physiological Psychology
  • A Primer of Drug Action
  • The Mindful Brain: Reflection and Attunement in the Cultivation of Well-Being
  • The Science of the Mind
  • Waking, Dreaming, Being: Self and Consciousness in Neuroscience, Meditation, and Philosophy
  • The Body Has a Mind of Its Own: How Body Maps in Your Brain Help You Do (Almost) Everything Better
  • Descartes' Baby: How the Science of Child Development Explains What Makes Us Human
  • Neuroscience
  • The Executive Brain: Frontal Lobes and the Civilized Mind
  • Personality Disorders in Modern Life
  • The Mummy at the Dining Room Table: Eminent Therapists Reveal Their Most Unusual Cases and What They Teach Us about Human Behavior
  • Brainstorm: The Flaws in the Science of Sex Differences

“During dreaming, we’re tuned inward, we experience vivid visual imagery, our conventional logic system is turned down, and social norms are loosened, all of which can lead to making more creative associations than we make when we’re awake and our brain is censoring the illogical,” she says.” 1 likes