Start by marking “Tris's Book (Circle of Magic, #2)” as Want to Read:
Tris's Book (Circle of Magic, #2)

Tris's Book (Circle of Magic #2)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  25,323 Ratings  ·  376 Reviews
Earthquake damage leaves Winding Circle vulnerable to pirate attack, so everyone - including the young mages-in-training Tris, Briar, Daja, and Sandry - is working to strengthen the community's defenses. When Tris's cousin Aymery comes to visit, he advises the "weather witch" to return to the family that exiled her, but she doesn't wish to leave her friends to face the thr ...more
Mass Market Paperback, alternate cover edition for ISBN 0590554093, 251 pages
Published September 1999 by Scholastic (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Tris's Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tris's Book

Fran
I always love this series. I'd hesitate to say more than the Tortall books, because they're so different, but there's something both beautiful and brutal about these books that both heals and hurts. Reading through this one with the Mark Reads community was especially hard at the moment, because of the family themes that it explores for Tris and the discussions that came up on one particular post about dysfunctional families. Still, the way the relationships that are formed in these books are so ...more
Kathy Davie
Feb 12, 2015 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, fantasy
Second in the Circle of Magic fantasy series for young middle-grade readers and revolving around the four young mages we met in Sandry's Circle , 1. It's also the second in the overall Emelan series.

It's been two months since Sandry's Circle.

My Take
Trisana learns more about her magic: why she hears voices.

Mmm, I'm uncomfortable with the comment Frostpine makes about black people. It smacks too much of bigotry for me, even if Frostpine is a black person.

Pierce reminds us to not judge a book by i
Julie
Apr 22, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm getting fonder of this series as it goes on. I like the characters - I usually do when it comes to Tamora Pierce books. Not only that, but the writing is so smooth that it fades into the background. So many YA books these days have such awkward writing, with awkward sentence structure or poor word choices and it's downright distracting. I never have that problem with this author.

Here's my favorite part of these books, though. Tamora Pierce can create a world where gender equality and racial
Nancy
Nov 21, 2014 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why wasn't I reading these books when I was a goat kid? Oh, right, because they were published after I was in college and stuff. Still, they're great, and I'm really enjoying them a lot. BRING ON DAJA!
Beth
I forgot how quickly these go. But that's a good thing here: Pierce is her best when she's less verbose. In fact, the blunter she is, the better; she can do more with actions and speech than with descriptions.

Tris's Book is good - things are coming together more. The novel is still open-ended and clearly just one part of a series, but there's enough of a complete story in it to make it feel satisfying.
Connor
Jun 26, 2014 Connor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
WHOOPS I read this all in one go, literally no one is surprised \_(ツ)_/

(On a more serious note: I love how Tammy makes these four kids face consequences. Also, it's so fun to go back to this "just learning everything" phase of their lives? They're always learning, of course, but it's so NEW to them in this quartet.)
Inoli
This series so far could be a solid 3-1/2 or come in at above a 4. Ms. Pierce's story telling style here could involve some discussion, which of course I'm not going to be able to do at this moment. I found it very different from her Tortall series, which I devoured. I like it. I'll finish the various series.
Freya
Dec 19, 2015 Freya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
review to come :)
Magali
Apr 22, 2017 Magali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tris would have had a Livejournal AND a Myspace that auto-played all the emo hits of the 00's. Love her.
Sophie
BIRB. BABBY BIRB.

"I love me." I love you too, Briar. And I love these kids. Like some of Pierce's series, the second book has more of a plot than the first, with an actual Sinister Plan in the works and also the invention of gunpowder. There is much delicious magic. And a birb.
Emy
After the earthquake that forced them to weave their powers together, the four's powers are growing. There is no time for them to explore, however. Pirates have come to Winding Circle, and the four must work together to save their home.

This book, the second in the series, definitely has more plot than the first. Much less time has to be spent on background story and, as such, Tamora Pierce can dive right into the tale. It picks off where the first book left off, and is stronger for it.

Of course,
Shelly
I wanted so very badly to like this as much as I like everything else Pierce puts out. It's just that this...felt so much like the latter half of Wild Magic by Pierce, that I couldn't like it. The attack on a safe location by pirates, and the younger generation having to help out more than they should. Tris also reminds me very much of Daine, the heroine of the Wild Magic series.

It's not that this book is a bad book, it's decent. But that's all it is to me. Decent. At the end of this book you on
Dione Basseri
Sep 24, 2014 Dione Basseri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The young mages go to war. In the aftermath of a major earthquake, pirates have some to raid Winding Circle, intending to take the mages as valuable slaves. The four children of Discipline Cottage, with a particular focus on Tris, gather their magic together to help in the defenses and eventual battles. Tris gets a chance to face down many demons from her past, including the family who didn't seem to care for her until she showed herself valuable as a mage. Valuable in the worst way.

I think I re
Becky
My actual rating is 3.5 stars.

I was so disappointed with Sandry's Book that I wasn't looking forward to reading this at all, but out of loyalty to Tamora Pierce, I wanted to continue on and give the series another shot. And I'm so glad I did! This book was fun and exciting, and with Tris being one of my favorite characters (along with Briar), I was glad to see so much of the focus on her.

I loved the action of this book. From page one, stuff was happening, and we were just along for the ride. A b
Kimikimi
Sep 02, 2009 Kimikimi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mark-reads
Juushika
While repairing the temple, the four of Disciple Cottage stumble upon a new threat: opportunistic and unscrupulous pirates have their sight set on Winding Circle. For its grimmer, wider context and less simplistic interpersonal interactions, this feels like a more mature book. But it maintains the sympathetic voice and found-family wish fulfillment that made Sandry's Book so lovely. The bond between the friends grows particularly forceful here, but--despite their unique situation and ability--th ...more
Ashley
Didn't like this one as much as the first one. It felt a little rushed, and it didn't have the advantage of introducing the world and the characters. Beginning stories are always my favorite. It did have much more of a clear focus on its main character this time (Tris, obviously). Mostly, though, the thing with the pirates felt a little manufactured, and because it was also feeling rushed at the time, I don't think there was enough emphasis on the kids really feeling the consequences of their ac ...more
Fantasy Literature
This volume is the second in a four-part series called Circle of Magic and is also titled The Power in the Storm. Set in a fantasy realm over a one-year period, Tamora Pierce tells the story of four young mages who are brought together to live at the temple community of Winding Circle, to control and properly use their various powers.

The children couldn't be more different, but their studies bring them closer together till they are bonded magically (unbeknown to their four mentors), each sharing
Bookbuyer
Dirty pirates! Filthy jishen! I love the depth of language that Tamora adds into all her books. I've learned quite a few "trader" words.

Tris really grows as a character in this book. I love that the children are starting to realize the danger of their immense power!

Edit: added detail!

I hate Amery for hurting Tris! I rarely understand people like him who are willing to hurt others to personal or/and monetary gain.

I'm still impressed with how much the children's powers have grown and potentially
Rachel
Aug 31, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent second book in the series

Where SANDRY'S BOOK was about he four children meeting and becoming friends and recognizing some power,this book truly is more Tris's story than anyone else's. Also the introduction of a major plot helps keep things moving and exciting! Also at times confusing, and the end was quite abrupt, which is why 4 stars rather than 5. Super excited to start Daja's book!
Janeen-san
Just like the other two, this book didn't seem to grab my interest.
Pirates attack Winding Circle, and its the students' job to get renforcmetns, and mend the walls that are keeping the pirates out, but are quicktly getting destroyed.
And, just like the other books, the discription of Magic usuage was slow and boring. I do not mean to offend Tamora Pierce lovers. This book, in MY OPION, wasn't that great. A few sentances were midly interesting, thought. Sigh.
Kelsey Hanson
Personally, I think that Tris is one of the most believable characters in this series. She has very real and believable insecurities and acts out just like a teenager would do at that age. That being said, she's not my favorite character because she is so prickly. Still the plot of this one was a bit more complex than the previous novel with an actual enemy to fight against. The characters are interesting and well developed and overall it's an enjoyable read.
Jasmine
May 16, 2016 Jasmine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
4 stars. Quick and fun read! I need something light and fun after reading the tome that is The Passage. I love Tamora Pierce's worlds and characters. I love the magic system in this series and how the four main characters can leverage each other's magic.
Kataryna Hermans
Sep 20, 2015 Kataryna Hermans rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Absolutely divine!
Sakina (aforestofbooks)
Feb 16, 2016 Sakina (aforestofbooks) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This had exactly everything that was missing from the first book! I had trouble putting it down!
Ashley
Nov 25, 2014 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one more than the first one. I think the first one just needed more plot. Excited to see where this will go. Wish I would have read these in elementary or middle school.
Tori
This one had pirates. Of course it's perfect. This is an entirely unbiased review.
Ashleigh
May 07, 2011 Ashleigh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was so awful I couldn't even finish it.
JaLynn Coombs
Oct 01, 2008 JaLynn Coombs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to JaLynn by: Cheryl Ellis
I am really enjoying this group of books.
Marina
Nov 11, 2014 Marina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star, own
I'm not sure what to say. While I find the story interesting and the characters great, I do wonder where the story is going.
  • High Wizardry (Young Wizards, #3)
  • Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)
  • The Crown of Dalemark (The Dalemark Quartet, #4)
  • Half-Human
  • Firebirds Rising: An Anthology of Original Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Forging the Sword (The Farsala Trilogy, #3)
  • The Dragon Book: Magical Tales from the Masters of Modern Fantasy
  • Wolf Wing (Claidi Journals, #4)
  • The Tenth Power (The Chanters of Tremaris, #3)
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro
More about Tamora Pierce...

Circle of Magic (4 books)
  • Sandry's Book (Circle of Magic, #1)
  • Daja's Book (Circle of Magic, #3)
  • Briar's Book (Circle of Magic, #4)

“Frostpine made a face. Lifting the cup, he dumped its contents down his throat. “Auugghh!” he yelled, his voice stronger than it had been since his return from the harbor. "Are you trying to kill me, woman?"

"If I mean to kill someone, I do it," Rosethorn told him. "I don't try.”
138 likes
“He doesn't need my help coming up with pranks. He's got too many ideas of his own.
- Daja referring to Briar in their first year at Discipline cottage”
38 likes