Start by marking “Undertow” as Want to Read:
Undertow

Undertow

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Published January 24th 2012 by Soaring Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Undertow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Undertow

christa
You know those movies from the 1960s that are all pointed bosoms, covert ciggies and dirty dancing with boys who favor slicked hair and switchblades. Cautionary tales. Second base bookended by car races. Where a lesser-known character is sacrificed to present a life lesson:

“Hey, girls. Don’t get all whack from the flask and try nightswimming at Coney Island.”

So starts Ellen Lindner’s charmingly -- I’m not sure “campy” is exactly the right word, but it’ll do in a pinch -- campy graphic novel “U
Raina
It took me far too long to read this - I kept falling asleep. And I can't figure out quite what the problem was. The story was a little wooden, but not terribly so.

Honestly, I think the main problem I had with this book was the quality of printing. This would have been SO much better printed in color -- but more than that, the inside pages look like a bad Xerox job. It bugged me, but more than that, I think it aesthetically flattened the story.

It WAS really interesting to get a sense of what l
Nora
Great coming of age story about a 15 year old girl in 1960s Coney Island, a time where this new generation of 'teenagers' were on the rise, as well as this amazing boardwalk culture. This is one of the best examples of storytelling through a graphic novel format, with such a amazing flow through out the entire text and images. Where many graphic novels are too guilty of having so-called awkward pause occurring, Lindner is able to make amazingly smooth transitions from panel to panel.
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
David Schaafsma
David Schaafsma marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Haley
Haley marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2013
Gloriane
Gloriane marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2013
Janet
Janet added it
May 04, 2013
Benjamin Thornton
Benjamin Thornton marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2013
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2013
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2013
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2012
Melki
Melki marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2012
Davy
Davy added it
Jun 06, 2012
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2012
Cait
Cait marked it as to-read
May 08, 2012
Pinc Roq
Pinc Roq marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2012
The Black Feather Falls Book One The Strumpet: The Tasty Issue (#3) The Strumpet: The Dress-Up Issue (#1) The Strumpet: Going Places (#2) From the Epic of Gilgamesh to Shakespeare to Dangerous Liaisons (The Graphic Canon #1)