Start by marking “The 1979 Book Of Common Prayer, Personal Edition” as Want to Read:
The 1979 Book Of Common Prayer, Personal Edition

The 1979 Book Of Common Prayer, Personal Edition

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  1,001 ratings  ·  62 reviews
A special occasion merits a memorable gift, and this prayer book is just right for marking such an event. The Deluxe Gift Edition's bindings combine two types of soft-to-the-touch Vivella: one pattern wraps around the book's spine and back cover, while a contrasting pattern adorns the front. The result is a stylish package sure to be treasured by its recipient.
Includes a
Leather Bound
Published November 26th 1987 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1549)

To ask other readers questions about The 1979 Book Of Common Prayer, Personal Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 1979 Book Of Common Prayer, Personal Edition

Bcoghill Coghill
Jul 12, 2013 Bcoghill Coghill rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Bcoghill by: My mom
350 years and going strong. I read the Evening Prayer most nights. It comes on my Kindle in a blog with lessons included. Makes flipping thru your bible obsolete.
My Kindle has the read text feature. I listen to "The Daily Office" blog many evening of the week as I lie in bed waiting for sleep. The words of Evening or Morning Prayer are the last words I hear by the Vesper Light.
RF
My spiritual home is the orthodox Anglican church - this is the tradition that taught me about liturgy and beauty and orthodox faith (I am not touching on all the other complicated politics of this right now!) I am very fond of my personal size BCP - I find prayer hard, and the BCP shapes my words. If you don't already have one - I recommend you acquire one!
Erin
Jan 10, 2008 Erin is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Can't give this a rating, man. Just doesn't seem right. Can't do it.

AJ and I joined St. Phillips Episcopal here in downtown Durham two years ago, and I've been steadily learning more about the theology and history of Anglicanism and Episcopalianism since then. We have sort of an ongoing debate about how structured liturgy can "free you up" or not during worship to pray, meditate, connect, etc... and of course this book is at the center of that debate. I admire its resilience and adaptibility. An
Erik Graff
Nov 03, 2014 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Episcopalians
Recommended to Erik by: Alvin Hart
Shelves: religion
An internship was required for the psychology degree at Union Theological Seminary in New York. Having worked previously in health care, I chose to enter the Clinical Pastoral Education Program at St. Luke's Hospital Center in my Morningside Heights neighborhood in Manhattan. Doing so, I was to discover, required that I play the role of an Episcopal chaplain, the denomination affiliation of the hospital and of its chaplaincy staff. Thus, I donned the collar and picked up a copy, this copy, of th ...more
Jacob Aitken
I think my edition is actually from 1928. The prayers themselves are beautiful and probably represent the ultimate high point of the English language in terms of power and expression. Studying the language in these prayers will keep you from "Jesus Weejus" prayers, which usually begin "Oh Jesus, we just..."
Judith
This small volume is discreet enough to carry with you in your purse or bag. I can have it out on my desk at work at noonday and I don't feel like I'm announcing HEY, look at me, I'm religious.
John Andrew Seymour
The 1662 Book of Common Prayer contains some of the most beautiful (and unintentionally humorous) writing ever put down in the English language. Examples include "THE MINISTRATION OF BAPTISM TO SUCH AS ARE OF RIPER YEARS AND ABLE TO ANSWER FOR THEMSELVES" and "A COMMINATION OR DENOUNCING OF GOD'S ANGER AND JUDGEMENTS AGAINST SINNERS WITH CERTAIN PRAYERS TO BE USED ON THE FIRST DAY OF LENT, AND AT OTHER TIMES, AS THE ORDINARY SHALL APPOINT." Love it!!

And this pocket sized copy is perfect for car
Mike Guardiola
good to have around. I reference the prayers daily. has prayers for almost any petition I have.
Melinda
An analogue for my childhood - a book of comfort, familiarity, and peace.
the words in this book have shaped the very fabric of who I am...
Benji
Ah... Joy of my joys light of my life. I love this prayer book. Poetic, often drawing directly from scripture, majestic and gritty. It was written before the concept of dumbing down had even been spawned. Composed by Thomas Cranmer (a far from holy man in many ways which is what makes it such a good prayer book because it deals with the true dross that we really are whilst aspiring to the hope of utter perfection by the grace of God - in the marriage service it is openly declared that a principl ...more
Chas Bayfield
This book is amazing. I just loved having it in my hands. The language is wonderful - it feels ancient. It may well be he official handbook to the order of services in Anglican churches but it is also a book of its time - their are prayers for protection against pestilence, and thanksgiving for being spared from a storm at sea. It seems incongruous reading the names of 'Elizabeth,our Queen, Philip, Duke of Edinburgh and Charles, Prince of Wales'. I was given this for my confirmation as a 13 year ...more
David
'Man that is born of a woman hath but a short time to live, and is full of misery. He cometh up, and is cut down, like a flower; he fleeth as it were a shadow, and never continueth in one stay. In the midst of life we are in death: of whom may we seek for succour, but of thee, 0 Lord, who for our sins art justly displeased?'

I carry a pocket version of this wonderful book with me. I'm no depressive, but the poetic language touches me to the core, and I know the turmoil that went in to producing i
David Mills
Thanks Dad & Mom for the copy you night me at York Minster in 1993. I reference it daily.
Patrick\
A living book. What do I mean by this simple statement? This book is a living entity that speaks to me. When the Great Thanksgiving of the Mass begins, regardless of the disbelief or corruption of the presiding priest, from the spoken word emerges the very presence of spiritual beings, they crowd the altar; the consecration words bring into the bread and wine the spiritual body and blood of the Christ, the cup moves to each communicant with purpose. No partaker is ever abandoned, loving spiritua ...more
Stewart Clem
The "Choose Your Own Adventure" prayer book; still some good stuff in here, but enough bad to remove one star. Thankfully, plenty of original Cranmer is preserved, but the absence of Coverdale's Psalter is a substantial loss. With the inclusion of material from other traditions (and many concessions to Eastern Orthodoxy), the theology is all over the map. Compare Rite I, Eucharistic Prayer I with Rite II, Eucharistic Prayer C (often referred to as the "Star Wars" prayer), and you'll get the pict ...more
Andy Mitchell
I am what you could label a devout Christian. But I didn't grow up in a liturgical tradition.

This book contains an introduction to the liturgy of the Episcopal Church. It is complicated to use this book for personal, devotional use.

I plan to use http://www.bookofcommonprayer.net/ind... --based upon this book and the NKJV--as I develop the discipline of reading the daily office and weekly lectionary.
Jacob Andrews
There's a mistake in the listing: this is the liturgy of the Episcopal Church in the USA, not the Church of England.

This is my church's standard liturgy. I use it when I lead services at a local nursing home. I prefer the older prayer books (stronger language, stronger theology), but the greater variety of services in the '79 book is helpful; and the more basic language is good for some contexts.
wes Goertzen
Oct 13, 2008 wes Goertzen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wonders what and for what they ought to pray
Recommended to wes by: uncle ben and drew
besides the nice little leather cover and the two book marks (genius) this is a great, great book of prayer. I mean where else to you get all kinds of subversive scripture options placed in the morning and evening prayers. Each and every day. I was rather confused by the whole thing the first time i went to Grace Episcopal in Siloam Springs but now, years later, i really love this book.
J. Alfred
The introduction in my copy says that this, which owes most of its language to Archbishop Cranmer, is on par with Shakespeare and the Bible for the most readily recognizable of English phrases. It is sedate and beautiful and very much worth a look, especially, I think, for the less moderate protestants who disdain all written prayers.
"Lighten our darkness."
^
Sep 04, 2014 ^ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Christians, plus those who are curious to learn about Anglican doctrine and faith.
My most-used Book because I can use it for BCP 1662 services, but also, privately, for the 1928 Prayers, etc.

Learning through discussion, talks, and writings, about the doctrinal differences between the 1662 and 1928 services of Holy Communion (the latter is unacceptable to Evangelical Anglicans, even now) has been a very interesting and insightful exercise.
Karen L.
This is what I use for my daily morning prayer, mostly for the daily office reading and beautiful collects. My husband and I also enjoy the Sunday lectionary readings of scripture which prepare us for worship on Sunday. We attend a mid week lectionary Bible study. The BOCP contains readings from the psalms, old testament, gospel, and an epistle: a very nice balance.
Геллее Авбакар
What a nice attempt to spread our spirit to people who don't know their truth, in fact when I read this nice entity of art, The Book of common prayer is a sort of Prayers held in the English church, but what inspires me the most are the psalms that praise Jesus Christ. Personally I really love having this book whenever I lived in this life.
Jacob Stubbs
So, I would have to say that this is one of the best devotional guides out there. The focus on "common prayer" or communally structured liturgical prayer is one of the things that fascinates me about Anglicanism--especially coming from a low-church, evangelical background. Overall, a book every Christian should use devotionally.
RF
We got our marriage liturgy from this 1662 traditional BCP - the language is glorious (in Pride and Prejudice, at the weddings of Darcy and Bingley, this is the liturgy that is read). For those of you who appreciate older King James-esque language, this is a beautiful addition to your prayer library.
Ike
Jul 18, 2007 Ike rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those curious about other traditions within Christianity
I enjoyed using the Daily Office as a way to read Scripture at three different times through out the day. I'm not doing it now because I enjoy changing how and when I read Scripture but if your looking for a different way to read scripture for a "quiet time" I would suggest using the Daily Office.
Stephen Brindza
The 1979 prayer book, or what to open when the missalettes run out. Full of beautifully worded prayers, especially the Rite I texts.

Ever wonder where at weddings the "Dearly Beloved, we are gathered here..." comes from? This is the place. Hope your journey is a good one.
Cynthia
The Book of Common Prayer and Administration of the Sacraments and Other Rites and Ceremonies of the Church: Together With the Psalter or Psalms of David According to the Use of the Episcopal Church by Episcopal Church. Holy Eucharist (1979)
  • The Christian Tradition 2: The Spirit of Eastern Christendom 600-1700
  • Thomas Cranmer
  • Celtic Daily Prayer: Prayers and Readings From the Northumbria Community
  • 1848: Year of Revolution
  • Given for You: Reclaiming Calvin's Doctrine of the Lord's Supper
  • The New Oxford Annotated Bible, New Revised Standard Version
  • Documents of the Christian Church
  • Early Christian Doctrines
  • The Divine Hours: Prayers for Summertime--A Manual for Prayer (v. 1)
  • What Saint Paul Really Said: Was Paul of Tarsus the Real Founder of Christianity?
  • For the Life of the World: Sacraments and Orthodoxy
  • The Major Works (World's Classics)
  • The Christian Theology Reader
  • The Enchiridion on Faith Hope and Love (Augustine Series 1)
  • The Stripping of the Altars: Traditional Religion in England, 1400-1580
  • The Desert Fathers
  • Seeking God: The Way of St. Benedict  Second Edition
  • John Wesley's Sermons: An Anthology
2901941
Oxford University Press (OUP), a department of the University of Oxford, is the largest university press in the world. The university became involved in printing around 1480, becoming a major source of Bibles, prayer books and scholarly works. It took on the Oxford English Dictionary project in the late 19th century, and in order to meet the ever-rising costs of the work, it expanded into publishi ...more
More about Oxford University Press...
The New Oxford American Dictionary Concise Oxford English Dictionary [With CDROM] Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, 2 Volumes Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations

“For Sleep O heavenly Father, you give your children sleep for the refreshing of soul and body: Grant me this gift, I pray; keep me in that perfect peace which you have promised to those whose minds are fixed on you; and give me such a sense of your presence, that in the hours of silence I may enjoy the blessed assurance of your love; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.   In the Morning This is another day, O Lord. I know not what it will bring forth, but make me ready, Lord, for whatever it may be. If I am to stand up, help me to stand bravely. If I am to sit still, help me to sit quietly. If I am to lie low, help me to do it patiently. And if I am to do nothing, let me do it gallantly. Make these words more than words, and give me the Spirit of Jesus. Amen.” 3 likes
“The Collect Lord Jesus, stay with us, for evening is at hand and the day is past; be our companion in the way, kindle our hearts, and awaken hope, that we may know you as you are revealed in Scripture and the breaking of bread. Grant this for the sake of your love. Amen.” 0 likes