Start by marking “A Hard Winter Rain” as Want to Read:
A Hard Winter Rain

A Hard Winter Rain

Sean Andros is tired-tired of hustling, tired of trying to make the rent, tired of running from his past. But the past can chase you down in a heartbeat. Suddenly Sean's living a nightmare again and casualties are stacking up around him. The only person he can trust is Harry, a man twice his age and the closest thing to a friend Sean has ever known. Harry Connors has loved ...more
Paperback, 1st Edition, 300 pages
Published March 5th 2012 by Dreamspinner Press (first published March 4th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Hard Winter Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hard Winter Rain

Nick Pageant
Mar 22, 2014 Nick Pageant rated it it was amazing
This review is intended for a mature audience that does not include Mishy.

This book has multiple POVs. I like this very much.

First up is Sean, a sweet, gay rent boy:

description

Sean, like all literary hookers, has a heart of gold and a generous soul:

description

Then we have Harry, one of Sean's regular customers, who is a former military man turned hairdresser. If you can find a gif for Harry, consider my hat tipped.

We also have two police detectives who are made of awesome:

Lastly and bestly (yes, I just invented a wor
Debra
This was a wild ride. I would call it a gruesome crime thriller. I thought the identity of the killer was clear from pretty early on so it was mostly a game of cat and mouse for me as opposed to a mystery. This book was quite a surprise since the only other John Inman book I read was a lighter, romance.

Multiple POVs from the deranged and increasingly unstable killer, his target, the man protecting him, the team investigating and even the victims added to, rather than detracted from, the story te
Trisha Harrington
I read A Hard Winter Rain expecting a romance with mystery/thriller elements to it. Boy was I wrong. Actually, this book is a mystery/thriller with a small romance side. It's that small some probably wouldn't describe it as a romance.

John Inman is a very talented writer. I've read many of this books but this one has been on my list the longest. I can't even tell you why I didn't read it, probably the same reason as most overlook books. Timing. Big lists can get in the way of people reading every
Ami
Mar 10, 2012 Ami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tina

4,5 stars.

The pale man’s fingers commenced to tingle again. He felt a tightness in the crotch of his slacks as his cock stirred. God’s work was beginning. He could hardly wait. Fat raindrops began to pepper the cabbie’s windshield. And just like that, the man thought, the storm begins. A cleansing was about to take place in this city. He wondered just how many souls would be swept away in the rain of God’s wrath. And his own.

That was just the beginning, and it made my blood freeze…

Yep, I’m on
Riina Y.T.
WOW. This shit is bloody insane! Good insane, very good insane :) Creepy as hell with sweet romance on the side. While it's incredibly John-Inman-humor-like funny it's even more so ohmigodohmigod just disgustingly bloody. I L-O-V-E-D it.♫ ♬ ♪ ♩♥ Besides many innocent deaths and a lunatic on the loose, I think the story shows no matter the loss, love can be found in places you least expect and there might just be your second chance around the corner.

"Amazing what a little perspective could do.
Ulysses Dietz
May 20, 2013 Ulysses Dietz rated it really liked it
This is a very different book for John Inman - it is intense, uncomfortable, compelling. While there is a romance (and a bromance) that frame the plot - the book is really about the increasingly desperate efforts of two smart, funny cops (Smith and McCray) to stop a serial killer. It offers a horrifying glimpse into the darkest of hearts in America's heartland.

The opening prologue is one of the most chilling things I've read in years, worthy of a Patricia Cornwell murder mystery. There is a lit
F.E.  Feeley Jr.
John Inman does it again. I started this book earlier in the evening and now it is 12:45 a.m. That's how good this book was.
Inman is a master story teller. His ability to craft worlds and characters so likeable and so monstrous is clearly displayed throughout this entire novel. What seems like effortlessness on his part, Inman grabs you right away with the opening scene and pile drives you headlong into a complicated murderer's mind and the mind of his would be victim. You'll grip the pages wit
Erika
Jul 24, 2014 Erika rated it really liked it

I was forced to stay up all night reading this book (thanks, Nick!). The cops and their jokes and interactions + the serial killer and his actions were, for me, the most interesting parts, while the romance came in a distant second. The cops had me cracking up, which is always fun, especially when I got side eyed on the train. Good story.
Rick
Mar 17, 2013 Rick rated it really liked it
Steadily escalating suspense, a varied and quirky cast of characters, a tender love story, a rain-soaked San Diego as both plot device and motif, and a nightmare-inducing villain. What more could you ask for? An enthralling read!
Candice
3.5 Stars

Be warned: Gruesome murders, rape, religious fanatic claiming God's work, hilarious Detectives, 1 young hustler, 1 middle aged hairdresser, and 1 chain smoking 70+ year old hilarious woman named Judy.

I got this because the blurb made me think "Ooo...Suspense/Romance"! What I got was Mystery/Thriller. Holy hell. To me, this was NOT a romance at all. Blurb was misleading (at least to me).

With that said, I liked it. I read it quickly and it held my interest, but I felt detached. I was b
Michael
Jul 26, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing
John Inman's book A Hard Winter Rain has been sitting on my bookshelf for a few weeks sort of taunting me to read it. My pile of TO READ books is always huge. I finally gave in and pulled his book out of the pile and read it, and I am so glad I did.

A Hard Winter Rain is a fantastic book. I don't give praise easily or freely (just ask my employees!), but I did not have that problem with this book. Many books in this genre (yes, including my own) are light, fluffy stories of no real substance. Som
Sue bowdley
Dec 25, 2015 Sue bowdley rated it it was amazing
Wow....this was a very intense book...but a brilliant one....The twists we get are astounding....Harry and Sean are just perfect MC's.....The crazed serial killer who's after Sean will shock you when you find out who he is....Mr Inman's books just get better and better and I'm so glad I found this author.......Sean is so sweet and really is just adorable,he knows he needs Harry's protection and Harry gives him it.....The two detectives in the case McCray and Smith are just amazing too...The auth ...more
Cindi
May 12, 2012 Cindi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, 2012, john-inman
I never know what to expect when I read something by an author I've never read before. The blurb is actually a little misleading. It implies that it is more of a romance than it actually is. Don't get me wrong, it's THERE, it's just not center to the story. This is more of a mystery/suspense type book. There are quite a few things that happen that are pretty graphic. It is told from different points of view though I never got confused even when it went back and forth rather quickly. I, along wit ...more
Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
4 1/2 Hearts

First published at MM Good Book Reviews

Sean is in serious trouble. His past has come back for him, but he really doesn’t have a clue who from his past it could be. When Sean flees the scene of a murder, he runs right into Harry’s arms. Harry convinces Sean to let him help and it is the beginning of a game of cat and mouse with an insane killer who will stop at nothing to make Sean pay. As the two men try to think of a way to end the game, they
Christy Duke
Jan 28, 2014 Christy Duke rated it it was amazing
"A cleansing was about to take place in this city. He wondered just how many souls would be swept away in the rain of God's wrath.
And his own."

Having begun reading Stephen King in junior high school, not much scares me. The beginning of 'A Hard Winter Rain' by John Inman with his beautifully descriptive writing about the man with the cold, hard, blue eyes, sent shivers up my spine. I could see the man he described in my mind's eye and even worse, I could feel his malevolence like a presence in t
Sunne
Nov 12, 2012 Sunne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow - a book, I mean, a book that actually is well written with a thrilling plot! And humor! An evil madman...okay..maybe I shouldn't be so happy about that ;) A cute couple - not 100% stereotype! Funny and intelligent cops!

You get it - I liiiiiked it a lot.

First things first: This is not a m/m romance. This is a thriller first. You get a lot of insight in the mad guys head, actually the book starts with him and - expecting a m/m love story - at first I had a bit problems because I felt detached
Gabbi
4.5 stars rounded up to 5

This is the first book I’ve read by John Inman and it definitely won’t be my last! Whew! As soon as I started A Hard Winter Rain I was immediately gripped by its suspenseful storyline and the deeply emotional connection between the two main heroes. I loved every minute of this book and truly hated for it to see it come to an end.

I’ve decided to tread carefully with this review because I don’t want to spoil it for anyone. Sean is a prostitute with a heart of gold. He has
Dragonpoetikfly BlackHippyPoet310 Poetry
Just wow!

From the beginning I was already scared out of my mind!. I already was screaming "No don't get in the car!" before chapter 6! I was so sickened by the actions of Jackson, that I actually stopped reading for 6hrs to gather my wits! This was a never ending cycle of gore and mystery. Once Sean had his 1st flashback of being raped by his brother at 13yrs old, I knew it was his brother doing the murders. I got the age of Jackson mixed up. According to the black guy at the airport I thought "
Qi
Mar 26, 2012 Qi rated it really liked it
Dena
Oct 04, 2013 Dena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, age-difference
3.75* Interesting book--descriptions of the killers actions and thoughts pushed my buttons so much I almost started skimming those sections but managed to tough it out. This was definately more of a thriller/murder mystery than a romance, even though there was a HEA between two of the MC's. I say two because two of the detectives were such large parts of the story I almost felt like I knew them as well as Sean and Harry. I would have appreciated more romance development - I believed in Harry's f ...more
Chappy
Mar 03, 2016 Chappy rated it really liked it
As I've come to expect from John Inman, this book is extremely well written with great characters and a well designed plot.

I felt like I was watching a suspense movie. It had everything, a nice hero named Harry who takes Sean under his wing and decides to protect him. A religious fanatic on a crazy-ass mission from God and intent on destruction and murder. Some hilarious and wonderful cops who manage to save the day.

Would of given it 5 stars for sure...but wanted more steamy encounters between H
Lidia
Apr 21, 2013 Lidia rated it it was amazing
Read the blurb I have waited to read this book for fear , for the drammatic story ,because I have read by Mr Inman only books by light tones , but now, to end of book I'm not disappointed , I have found what that more I love in the his writing, in fact this was a fantastic book, tightened rhythms, amazing characters and well portrait , original and creepy story. It's true that I have felt damp and soaked to the bones for all that hard winter rain but the characters of Sean and Herry, as Jimmy an ...more
Sharon
Mar 19, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a MYSTERY, SUSPENSE. DSP actually has it labelled as that, it has a slight romance between Harry and Sean and is from several characters POV which adds depth to the Mystery and Suspense.

A brilliant story that draws you in and keeps you reading till the end.

Just because it is M/M doesn't make it a romance, this is a mystery,suspense with romance thrown in.
Tena
Jul 14, 2015 Tena rated it really liked it
This book was a surprise. First for its gritty content and then for how much I enjoyed it. The author tells a griping story, with grusome detail at times that while possibly shocking, doesn't feel like it was added for that effect alone. I was expecting a romance with an action plot and got instead a thriller with some romance, and I find I didn't mind the trade at all.
Dan
Jan 22, 2013 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are some really good authors of books with murder, mayhem, with some sex thrown in. John Inman is just one of them. He also throws in a touch of humor. This one I'll keep as a re-read.
Excellent read!
Amber
Jun 25, 2014 Amber rated it it was amazing
why the hell the library had this as romance i do not know. romance is rather a minor subplot up against the rest.
this author puts more into minor supporting characters than some put in their leads. the plot itself didn't give me many surprises, but execution was impeccable. recommend.
Jocheung
Jun 16, 2014 Jocheung rated it it was amazing
This book was so intense, so captivating, so damn good! I just couldn't put it down until I got to the end. It's a must-read for suspense/thriller/mystery/romantic horror book lovers. Purchase and read it right away. You won't be disappointed.
P.S. I really like this author. He is brilliant.
Calila
Gross. I really do not like the overriding theme that because Sean is an attractive blondish white "kid" aka adult that somehow that proves he could not be a murderer. I never felt the "love", it moved way too fast. Some content warnings (incest, sexual assault & rape, child molestation, racism) in the blurb would've been nice, though it was nothing to stop me from reading. I mostly like the plot, the villain was scary so that's half the battle. Sean kind of got on my nerves, and Harry's ref ...more
Lamar54
May 18, 2012 Lamar54 rated it it was amazing
I hope that Inman has additional stories ready to be published. I'm ready to read another one.

I loved having Jackson's POV. It was really creepy to be in his mind. People who hear god speak scare me... is it truly the word of god or a mental illness. I guess we know which one it was for Jackson. Harry & Sean were cute together & I liked that the hairdresser was not a nelly queen.

The weather was used as a prefect mood device. Both in San Diego & Nine Mile

But, to be honest, I think th
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Wild and Precious (Wild and Precious, #1)
  • The Slayer's Apprentice
  • The British Devil
  • All She Wrote (Holmes & Moriarity, #2)
  • Taste (Horizons, #2)
  • Murderous Requiem
  • Unspeakable Words (The Sixth Sense #1)
  • Ever the Same (Love is Blind #1)
  • Third Eye
  • But Not For Me
  • Spring Affair (Seasons of Love, #1)
  • Dissonance (Blue Notes, #6)
  • Snap
  • Rarer Than Rubies (Precious Gems, #1)
  • Mahu (Mahu #1)
  • Sole Survivor
  • Stranded (Stranded, #1)
  • The Best Corpse for the Job (Lindenshaw Mysteries, #1)
John has been writing fiction for as long as he can remember. Born on a small farm in Indiana, he now resides in San Diego, California where he spends his time gardening, pampering his pets, hiking and biking the trails and canyons of San Diego, and of course, writing. He and his partner share a passion for theater, books, film, and the continuing fight for marriage equality. If you would like to ...more
More about John Inman...