Start by marking “Orb” as Want to Read:
Orb

Read Book

Orb

Three months outbound from Earth and the starship Desio approaches its planetary destination, her crew eager to commence a mission of scientific discovery. Kyle Lorenzo, however, has a personal reason for being on board--an inner conflict that will ultimately propel him to explore not only of the furthest reaches of an enigmatic ocean world but the nebulous recesses of his ...more
Published November 16th 2011 by Gary Tarulli

To ask other readers questions about Orb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orb

Dkattean
Mar 18, 2012 Dkattean rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dkattean by: goodreads.com
The crew of the Desio - five scientists, one writer, and a standard poodle - travel to a yet-unnamed water planet on the fifth extra-solar mission from Earth. We've got all the ingredients of a standard genre novel: spaceship, wormholes, unexplored planet, alien lifeforms. But trust me that Tarulli's story is something altogether unique; there are no little green men, intergalactic battles, warlords, or robots. This is a quiet, contemplative novel. It is not a string of cobbled-together action s ...more
The Haunted Reading Room 2017 - Year of Lovecraft
Feb 09, 2012 The Haunted Reading Room 2017 - Year of Lovecraft rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dystopian, Science Fiction, Futuristic, Metaphysical
Recommended to The Haunted Reading Room by: Gary Tarullia
Shelves: march-2012-reads
Immediately my attention is caught as that fine reader’s hook sinks in. The subtle trace of humour in which it is couched only makes me want to know more, to read on. Amazingly, a short way into the novel, I discovered that the society of that far future is Dystopian (really, why should that have surprised me?) As a voracious, lifelong reader, a writer, and a reviewer, the notion of existence in a society where reading is considered to waste energy and time is so mind-boggling as to make me ligh ...more
Allisyn
Sep 12, 2012 Allisyn rated it really liked it
I rather enjoyed the set-up of this novel. The narrator, Kyle, is a writer chosen for a space mission over the objections of the scientists who believe that literature is no longer relevant. The motivations of the group setting up the mission become clear later in the story. It was fascinating to see space travel from the perspective of a character that is a writer. I loved the details of the new planet and how it affects the crew.

The plot build up of Orb is slow and depends more on the growth a
Jana
Mar 08, 2012 Jana rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
When I picked up this book, I was expecting a fun and fanciful sci-fi read. I got that and more. A team of scientists, a non-scientist and his dog set out for a distant planet to gather data and information about it. What they discover astounds and mystifies them. The planet forces them to rethink not only conventional scientific wisdom but their very selves. I liked that the author was able to tell a fun tale while at the same time make me stop and think.
Austine (NovelKnight)
Nov 23, 2014 Austine (NovelKnight) rated it liked it
Shelves: for-review
This book was far from what I expected. Orb is a science fiction novel but lacks the aliens and outerwordly aspects common in the genre. Instead, the novel focuses on the Desio's crew members, a psychological examination of their interactions, in a sense. While this was very well written and I enjoyed the book regardless, I'm the kind of girl who likes worlds with all different species fighting the empire. This book didn't have any ewoks but it was a good read nonetheless.

I think what kept me ho
Eric
Jan 20, 2013 Eric rated it really liked it
This story rides on the well used exploration of a distant planet theme. What make this story different is that it is told from the point of view of an author with a liberal arts background residing in a ship with 5 scientists who as you might expect belittle this guy with only a B.A. degree. He focuses on his interaction with the other crew members and his view of the world that they visit. His different view combined with the views of his scientist crewmates highlights how we become narrow min ...more
Mark balson
Jul 28, 2013 Mark balson rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Science fiction fans of course. any reader that wants a good speculative fiction story.
I very much liked this book. There is a bit of a Moby Dick aura about this book. It is man with his baggage of superiority, self aggrandizement, and just a cocky screw nature this is what I want attitude. They are then confronted by a natural world that is so profoundly different that man cannot understand them let alone exploit this other being, beings. It was nicely paced, the characters were nicely developed and the interplay was believable.

I was worried about the ending. Had the author taken
Lisa Voisen
May 20, 2012 Lisa Voisen rated it it was amazing
If you want a great science fiction story, this is it! This story doesn't have the usual monsters with teeth and gore, but the story has philosophy and reflection of the inner meaning of strange alien life and the reason for life in unexpected places. The ending had a surprise twist and I can't wait to read more stories from this author. I especially loved the dog in the story, it really added a heart warming aspect to the book. (Of course I am a dog lover!)
Will
Aug 05, 2013 Will rated it liked it
A good book. The plot was simple and straight forward with no surprises, but the content and the way it was presented had a philosophical twist that made me think about how we interpret what we experience and how we pass our experiences through the filter of our perceptions. What we are seeing might not be quite what is actually there...
Jeff Wetherington
Feb 21, 2014 Jeff Wetherington rated it really liked it
Enjoyable story. I was a little put off at first by the author's style and some occasional grammatical errors and typos, but was able to move past those and find a good little story with interesting characters and plot.
Charles
One of the best science fiction novels I have read in a long time. A little talky at times, but in the end, everything is pulled together beautifully. One of the few books I have read where I would appreciate a sequel. I want to know what happened next!!!
Jon
Aug 20, 2012 Jon rated it liked it
Although his writing is a little on the dry side, the book was somewhat engaging. I would have given it only 2 stars but it does start to pick up in the second half. If you are reading Orb and get a bit bored near the end... you have to stick with it. The end makes it worth finishing.
Blake Kanewischer
A good book, with a perhaps-predictable plot twist or two, but it captures nicely the tensions and challenges of a long-term space voyage, and forces some uncomfortable thinking about the nature of life.
Tom Park
Mar 19, 2013 Tom Park rated it liked it
Way too much scientific talk for me, so I do not have a clue as to whether it was possible or not. There was some interesting interplay among the characters and the ending was totally unexpected. That alone kept the rating a bit higher than I would have given for the whole.
Paul
Jul 25, 2013 Paul rated it it was amazing
If you like science fiction, read this. If you like a great story, read this. If you just enjoy a good yarn and good writing, read this. Whatever you do, read this.
Liviu
Nov 28, 2012 Liviu marked it as tried-but-not-for-me
flat prose and nothing else to compensate
Clayton
Jul 08, 2013 Clayton rated it really liked it
Well-written, and, somewhat a rarity in Science Fiction, mostly character-driven. An interesting twist at the end, too. Well worth a read.
Pierrette
May 13, 2012 Pierrette rated it it was amazing
Fascinatingly different! internal space sci-fi, loved it!
Mike Heyd
Enjoyable novel with classic SF optimism and an intriguing alien lifeform. Unfortunately the proofreaders overlooked a few paragraphs.
Bill Davis
Aug 01, 2013 Bill Davis rated it liked it
Did not much care for the book's ending.
Gordon
Apr 05, 2014 Gordon rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The core idea behind this story is not as original as some readers might think, but even so it was very well done.
Daryl Clarke
May 22, 2012 Daryl Clarke rated it really liked it
Good read. A few formatting issues in the Kindle edition that need fixing.
Joseph W Barta
Joseph W Barta rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Unohuiam Ruddle
Unohuiam Ruddle rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Joseph B.
Joseph B. rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Roy Huff
Roy Huff rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2015
Chris C.
Chris C. rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2014
Julie Matthews
Julie Matthews rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Paul Corsaro
Paul Corsaro rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2013
Phil
Phil rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Whatever Gods May Be
  • Below Mercury
  • Windigo Soul
  • Cloud Crash: A Technothriller
  • The Trilisk Supersedure (Parker Interstellar Travels, #3)
  • The Rock
  • Heaven 2.0
  • Cyberdrome
  • The Missing Link
  • Natural Selection
  • The Nexus (The Nexus, #1)
  • Caliphate
  • Forbidden the Stars (The Interstellar Age, #1)
  • Dream War
  • If at First . . .
  • Teleport This
  • Scavenger's War (The Marlowe Transmissions, #1)
  • Life, Inc.