Start by marking “When Dreams Come True” as Want to Read:

When Dreams Come True

Charlie is happiest when biking with Max and Toby, or watching films with Allie. But when Charlie reaches year nine, everything begins to change. As her friends develop new interests, Charlie's dreams become more frequent and vivid, and a family crisis tears her away from her friends. How will Charlie react when old family secrets are revealed? Will her life change complet ...more
Published May 28th 2012 by lulu.com (first published April 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about When Dreams Come True, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Dreams Come True

b00k r3vi3ws
Apr 20, 2013 b00k r3vi3ws rated it really liked it
Charlotte aka Charlie is a complete tomboy. It may have been because she had been best friends with Toby and Max since her childhood. She loves riding her bike with them. Then she meets Allie and realizes that boys mean something else to her newest friend. Life for this thirteen year old, is simple and exactly what it should be for a teenager. Complications rise only when her aunt falls sick and she starts having extremely vivid dreams.

The plot is simple and uncomplicated – well mostly so. It ef
Christina
Feb 21, 2016 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Dreams Come True is a British coming-of-age story that focuses on friendship, family and growing up. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story as it felt so relatable and instantly brought me back to my school days, making me nostalgic for both the simplicities and complexities of growing up.

The story was perfectly written for the target audience, yet appeals to readers of any age. At 23, I found myself connecting to the characters, the storyline and the themes that ran throughout this book.
Renee
Jun 18, 2012 Renee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books

This review consists of two parts: 1. My daughter's review (she's 9) and 2. My review (the Mom). These are excerpts. My daughter gave it 5 stars and I gave it 4 stars. For the full review visit us at http://MotherDaughterBookReviews.com

DAUGHTER SAYS:

What I liked and disliked about it:

I was really excited to get this book from the author. And right from the start I really loved reading it. There is a picture of Charlie on the front cover of the book. Charlie looks just like my friend Mae.

I thoug
Aline
The first time I spotted this book was when the author, Rebecca Emin, was hosting a giveaway. I didn't win it but Rebecca offered to send a copy to me in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, Rebecca! :)

So, here we go!

When Dreams Come True is about a thirteen year old girl, Charlotte or nicknamed, Charlie. She's a bit tomboyish. Her two best friends since she was a little girl are two boys, Max and Toby. But when Charlie was in level Nine, she met a girl, Allie, and they become friends.

Befo
Georgia
Feb 11, 2016 Georgia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘When Dreams Come True’ is a Bildungsroman with a side-order of romance and a healthy dash of mystery. The book follows the adventures of Charlie, our teenage protagonist, as she navigates the complex world of first loves, friendships, vivid dreams and family mysteries.

What I liked most about this novel was its accessibility. The prose, written from the point of view of Charlie, flows beautifully. The use of a teenage idiolect isn’t grating or whiny at all, and the language is very elegant, lit
Becky
May 05, 2012 Becky rated it really liked it
After reviewing 'New Beginnings' by this author, she got in touch with me again and asked if I would do her second book as well, so I agreed. I recieved a paperback copy in exchange for an honest review.

Charlie is a bit of a Tomboy, happiest when hanging out with her two best friends who happen to be boys, she would rather go bike riding and climbing than shopping. In this respect Charlie reminded me a lot of me. I never had boys for best friends or anything but I always preferred to do somethin
Cee Martinez
Jun 03, 2012 Cee Martinez rated it really liked it
Charlie is a young girl in year nine of school who has the perfect set of friends: Max and Toby who indulge her tomboy antics, and Allie, the classic girly-girl who is also Charlie's dear friend and confidante. Since the story begins this way, we know straight off everything will rapidly change and not immediately for the better.

The beginning of this novel is quite different from Ms. Emin's last work, as it lacks the ominous urgency of bullying. Instead we are first shown Charlie's aches at deal
Kayla (Kdrewkthebookworm)
This was a pretty cute, innocent read, and I enjoyed it! Though it tended to get a little bit unrealistic at times with the cliche love triangles and the school drama, I still thought that the author added on a pretty unique spin to it! This book centres around a 13 year old girl named Charlie, who has three tight-knit friends; Max, Toby, and Allie. She has always been a dreamer, but recently her dreams have been becoming much more vivid, to the point where they actually start coming true! Even ...more
Jade Walker
May 10, 2012 Jade Walker rated it really liked it
After reading Emin's first book, New Beginnings last year I was a little wary about how I would feel about this book because whilst I love Emin's creativity and how well developed her stories are I wasn't a big fan of the writing style itself.

I think I was right to be wary, this book is mostly better than New Beginnings because the way it's written actually seems more authentically thirteen year old but there were still bits where it seems stinted, like it's an adult thinking these thoughts and
Sam
May 12, 2016 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, netgalley
This book is super cute, it’s a an easy to read story about a young girl learning the importance of family. Charlie spends a week of school trying to stay out of the way of her parents who are busy taking care of her dad’s sister. While her aunt is the woman who seems to have understood Charlie the best, it’s hard when Charlie isn’t allowed to see her and just sits and waits for her parents to return and say that her beloved aunt has died. Meanwhile, she is struggling to understand what is going ...more
Tyler-rose (The Reading Pile)
Apr 21, 2012 Tyler-rose (The Reading Pile) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-review, enjoyed
Review can be found at: www.the-reading-pile.blogspot.co.uk

I received this book from the author earlier this week, though since I was going back to college to start the exam period, I wasn't sure when exactly I'd get to pick this book up. I was lucky enough to have completed all my work and have this weekend free allowing me the time to read When Dreams Come True. I must admit, after reading Rebecca Emin's debut novel (New Beginnings) I didn't think I'd enjoy this book much - mostly due to the w
You know how when friends tell you their dreams, and they kind of ramble on, and then come to a conclusion, sort of.

That is what this book reminded me of. I think all the other reviews that gave it four and five stars must have read another book. I kept almost not finishing it, but towards the 75% point a plot, of such, emerged, so I thought, well, might as well see what the whole point of this piece of drivel is.

And then the book ended, and it made no sense.

Just like a dream. (view spoiler)
Michelle Kidwell

by Rebecca Emin

Gingersnap Books

Middle Grade, Teens & YA

Pub Date 03 Feb 2016

I was given a copy of When Dreams Come True through the publisher and their partnership with netgalley in exchange for my honest review:

Charlie is a tom boy two of her best friends are boys and she has a best friend that is a girl. Her best friend Allies is more of a girlie girl than she is.

When Charlie's parents have to go take care of her Aunt Jenny who picked up an infection and is not doing w
Reagan
May 25, 2016 Reagan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would first like to thank Netgalley for sending me this book.
We have all experienced that awkward phase as we transition from being children to becoming teenagers. When Dreams Come True by Rebecca Emin is about exactly that. It is a middle-grade novel, written in first person, from the point of view of a thirteen-year-old girl named Charlie. We follow Charlie as she struggles with the changes she and her friends; Max, Toby, and Allie are going through.
This book had a fairly simple plot with no
CeeMarie
Feb 07, 2017 CeeMarie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I do not give many books 1 star but I'm sorry to say this was one of those that I have a hard time believing it was published. It was written as if a child wrote it. The plot was a mess. The dialogue was juvenile. This was not written as a middle school or YA novel as it claims to be. The writing and plot were not up to par with those genres.

This was an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for a honest review.
Glynis Smy
Apr 19, 2012 Glynis Smy rated it really liked it
Another delightful read for young readers from Rebecca Emin. Her character, Charlie, is a young girl of approximately 13 years of age. She has two male best friends. Slowly her life changes and she can no longer play with them as she had in the past. She becomes aware of how the boys are beginning to show an interest in girls, and she wishes time would turn back. However, her life moves forward and with it, so do her feelings.

Her dreams are so vivid, she feels there must be some meaning behind
Katya
Jun 02, 2016 Katya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
**FULL REVIEW UP ON BLOG**
*I received a copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

This is one of the cutest contemporaries I've read. It's not exactly YA which is a whole new read for me. I love this book!

It's a coming-of-age story, which was written well. The main character is "relatable". I've been through the phase she's in. That's when all your friends are starting to change and mature, while you feel left out. It's like you're not ready for "teenage-hood".

The writing was clear.
Roxanne
May 09, 2012 Roxanne rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book! I devoured it last night from beginning to end. I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway and if I could, I would give it 10 star rating. From the moment, I opened the packaging the cover photo captured me and drew me in. I loved being inside of the head of a young teenage girl as she is making the changes from being a child to a young woman without all the hoopla that most tweens and teens are depicted as experiencing! Hooray for normal young girls whose dreams can come tru ...more
Louise
Apr 16, 2012 Louise rated it really liked it
It was a surprise to receive the book in the mail, but my daughter had helped for my friend, the author while she was writing the novel.

We meet Charlie who has 2 best friends who are boys. she now has a close girl friend called Allie. We look in this book at the changes which happen to teenagers when friendship may become more than that too. When Charlie's Auntie becomes ill, the family go to stay with her and we discover a family secret that only Auntie Jenny knows.

The book was a lovely story w
Debbie Viggiano
Feb 13, 2012 Debbie Viggiano rated it it was amazing
Charlie is growing up. She's now at secondary school and suddenly aware of the changes going on in friendship groups, altered and heightened feelings, a shifting in how she previously regarded boys and how the dynamics of friendship groups can change. When her Aunty Jennie falls desperately ill, there is another shifting - that in the dynamics of her very own family. A secret is about to be revealed. How is Charlie going to cope? I won't spoil things for the reader! This is a very sweet and gent ...more
Book-shelf Shelf
Jun 14, 2012 Book-shelf Shelf rated it really liked it
I liked this story of a girl who has secrets within her family, but felt it could go so much further. Written for early teens, I felt they could take so much more and it would grab the reader better. Although having said that, I did feel I couldn't put it down and did enjoy the story. Flagging it as a easy read would be a brilliant idea as it would be an ideal starting point to get many dyslexic people reading and its easy flow would not be so daunting.
Chris Morton
Jun 23, 2012 Chris Morton rated it it was amazing

Kids’ books like this aren’t usually my cup of tea but I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Read a chapter a day on the kindle and looked forward to it every time. For a self published book this is very professionally written. I particularly liked the way that we as the readers knew things before the teenage characters realised what was going on. Cleverly done, well paced and I can recommend this for kids and adults alike.

Sabrina Roy
I received a free copy of this book from the publisher through Netgalley for an unbiased review.

This was a cute coming of age story about a young girl and how life changes and things that were always there become to take new meanings. You learn about her relationship with her friends, her family, and her learning about herself. It was a quick read and I think anyone would enjoy reading it especially girls coming of age.
Karen's World
Oct 19, 2013 Karen's World rated it really liked it
This is a nice happy story that would appeal to most girls as they can relate to Charlie. Very honest and open characters that are very true to how children are these days. I loved the descriptions of the old house and what it hides, every child's dream.
Maybe Charlie's dreams could form another book? Great book, written superbly and I loved every bit of it.
susan murray
May 18, 2015 susan murray rated it it was amazing
Won from goodreads
Charlie is a tomboy and her best friends are max and Toby. When Charlie goes to senior school she meets a girl called allie and hits it of well with her as she's girlie but not to much girlie . The story is good it's about as you grow older your feelings for the opposite sex change and how they all cope . Really enjoyed the stpryline good read for young or old.
Gina Dickerson
Apr 28, 2012 Gina Dickerson rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story. Although I am not in the target age group, I slipped into the tale and was easily swept away with it. I found it fun, intriguing, and thought provoking. A definite must read, wonderful!
Jess Munnery
Feb 06, 2016 Jess Munnery rated it really liked it
Nice short story, good setting and a quick read!
Mélodie Herbas
Esay to read. Nice book for teenagers.
Karen Whittard
Thank you to NetGalley, author Rebecca Emin and publisher Gingersnap Books for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this British coming of age story told from the view point of Charlotte aka Charlie. The descriptions in this book are brilliant and brought to my mind everything vividly.

Charlie is a tomboy and loves hanging out with best friends Toby and Max seeing as them as nothing but her best friends. That is until Allie comes into her life. All
Magy
When Dreams Come True is a British coming-of-age novel about Charlie (Charlotte) who would rather be biking or palling around with her three best friends Toby, Max, and Allie. But as the new school year starts, her friends, especially Allie, seem to be more interested in the opposite sex. While Charlie doesn't understand this sudden change, she finds herself having some of the same feelings.

When her aunt becomes suddenly ill, Charlie ends up missing school as her parents take care of her aunt,
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Whirl of the Wheel
  • Love on the Range
  • Noah Zarc: Mammoth Trouble (Noah Zarc #1)
  • The Renegade's Heart (The True Love Brides Book 1)
  • The Eyes of a Stranger (Nan's Heritage #4)
  • Bad Idea: A Novel {with coyotes}
  • A Hint of Murder (A Hint of Murder #1-3)
  • Never Underestimate a Caffarelli (Those Scandalous Caffarellis, #2)
  • Gladius and the Bartlett Trial
  • Christmas is Cancelled (Christmas is Cancelled, #1)
  • First Light (Project Five Fifteen #1)
  • Santina's Scandalous Princess (The Santina Crown #3)
  • The Other Brother (Chop, Chop, #4)
  • Wolves and War (Planet Wolf, #1)
  • The Girl Who Swam to Atlantis
  • Shadowbloom (Rhyme of the Willow, Book 1)
  • Heaven's Prey (Redemption's Edge, #1)
  • Gone at Zero Hundred 00:00 (McSwain & Beck #1)
I have had short stories and flash fiction published in charity anthologies, and also digitally by Ether Books.

'A Knowing Look and Other Stories' is a collection of my short stories and flash fiction published in 2011.

My debut novel, 'New Beginnings' was published by Grimoire Books in January 2012.

My second novel, 'When Dreams Come True' was published on 28 May 2012.
More about Rebecca Emin...