Start by marking “When Dreams Come True” as Want to Read:
When Dreams Come True

When Dreams Come True

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Charlie is happiest when biking with Max and Toby, or watching films with Allie. But when Charlie reaches year nine, everything begins to change. As her friends develop new interests, Charlie's dreams become more frequent and vivid, and a family crisis tears her away from her friends. How will Charlie react when old family secrets are revealed? Will her life change complet ...more
Published May 28th 2012 by (first published April 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about When Dreams Come True, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Dreams Come True

b00k r3vi3ws
Charlotte aka Charlie is a complete tomboy. It may have been because she had been best friends with Toby and Max since her childhood. She loves riding her bike with them. Then she meets Allie and realizes that boys mean something else to her newest friend. Life for this thirteen year old, is simple and exactly what it should be for a teenager. Complications rise only when her aunt falls sick and she starts having extremely vivid dreams.

The plot is simple and uncomplicated – well mostly so. It ef
After reviewing 'New Beginnings' by this author, she got in touch with me again and asked if I would do her second book as well, so I agreed. I recieved a paperback copy in exchange for an honest review.

Charlie is a bit of a Tomboy, happiest when hanging out with her two best friends who happen to be boys, she would rather go bike riding and climbing than shopping. In this respect Charlie reminded me a lot of me. I never had boys for best friends or anything but I always preferred to do somethin
Tyler-rose (The Reading Pile)
Review can be found at:

I received this book from the author earlier this week, though since I was going back to college to start the exam period, I wasn't sure when exactly I'd get to pick this book up. I was lucky enough to have completed all my work and have this weekend free allowing me the time to read When Dreams Come True. I must admit, after reading Rebecca Emin's debut novel (New Beginnings) I didn't think I'd enjoy this book much - mostly due to the w
Cee Martinez
Charlie is a young girl in year nine of school who has the perfect set of friends: Max and Toby who indulge her tomboy antics, and Allie, the classic girly-girl who is also Charlie's dear friend and confidante. Since the story begins this way, we know straight off everything will rapidly change and not immediately for the better.

The beginning of this novel is quite different from Ms. Emin's last work, as it lacks the ominous urgency of bullying. Instead we are first shown Charlie's aches at deal
Jade Walker
After reading Emin's first book, New Beginnings last year I was a little wary about how I would feel about this book because whilst I love Emin's creativity and how well developed her stories are I wasn't a big fan of the writing style itself.

I think I was right to be wary, this book is mostly better than New Beginnings because the way it's written actually seems more authentically thirteen year old but there were still bits where it seems stinted, like it's an adult thinking these thoughts and
The first time I spotted this book was when the author, Rebecca Emin, was hosting a giveaway. I didn't win it but Rebecca offered to send a copy to me in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, Rebecca! :)

So, here we go!

When Dreams Come True is about a thirteen year old girl, Charlotte or nicknamed, Charlie. She's a bit tomboyish. Her two best friends since she was a little girl are two boys, Max and Toby. But when Charlie was in level Nine, she met a girl, Allie, and they become friends.

This review consists of two parts: 1. My daughter's review (she's 9) and 2. My review (the Mom). These are excerpts. My daughter gave it 5 stars and I gave it 4 stars. For the full review visit us at

What I liked and disliked about it:

I was really excited to get this book from the author. And right from the start I really loved reading it. There is a picture of Charlie on the front cover of the book. Charlie looks just like my friend Mae.

I thoug
Glynis Smy
Another delightful read for young readers from Rebecca Emin. Her character, Charlie, is a young girl of approximately 13 years of age. She has two male best friends. Slowly her life changes and she can no longer play with them as she had in the past. She becomes aware of how the boys are beginning to show an interest in girls, and she wishes time would turn back. However, her life moves forward and with it, so do her feelings.

Her dreams are so vivid, she feels there must be some meaning behind
What a wonderful book! I devoured it last night from beginning to end. I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway and if I could, I would give it 10 star rating. From the moment, I opened the packaging the cover photo captured me and drew me in. I loved being inside of the head of a young teenage girl as she is making the changes from being a child to a young woman without all the hoopla that most tweens and teens are depicted as experiencing! Hooray for normal young girls whose dreams can come tru ...more
It was a surprise to receive the book in the mail, but my daughter had helped for my friend, the author while she was writing the novel.

We meet Charlie who has 2 best friends who are boys. she now has a close girl friend called Allie. We look in this book at the changes which happen to teenagers when friendship may become more than that too. When Charlie's Auntie becomes ill, the family go to stay with her and we discover a family secret that only Auntie Jenny knows.

The book was a lovely story w
Debbie Viggiano
Charlie is growing up. She's now at secondary school and suddenly aware of the changes going on in friendship groups, altered and heightened feelings, a shifting in how she previously regarded boys and how the dynamics of friendship groups can change. When her Aunty Jennie falls desperately ill, there is another shifting - that in the dynamics of her very own family. A secret is about to be revealed. How is Charlie going to cope? I won't spoil things for the reader! This is a very sweet and gent ...more
Book-shelf Shelf
I liked this story of a girl who has secrets within her family, but felt it could go so much further. Written for early teens, I felt they could take so much more and it would grab the reader better. Although having said that, I did feel I couldn't put it down and did enjoy the story. Flagging it as a easy read would be a brilliant idea as it would be an ideal starting point to get many dyslexic people reading and its easy flow would not be so daunting.
Chris Morton

Kids’ books like this aren’t usually my cup of tea but I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Read a chapter a day on the kindle and looked forward to it every time. For a self published book this is very professionally written. I particularly liked the way that we as the readers knew things before the teenage characters realised what was going on. Cleverly done, well paced and I can recommend this for kids and adults alike.

Karen's World
This is a nice happy story that would appeal to most girls as they can relate to Charlie. Very honest and open characters that are very true to how children are these days. I loved the descriptions of the old house and what it hides, every child's dream.
Maybe Charlie's dreams could form another book? Great book, written superbly and I loved every bit of it.
Gina Dickerson
I really enjoyed this story. Although I am not in the target age group, I slipped into the tale and was easily swept away with it. I found it fun, intriguing, and thought provoking. A definite must read, wonderful!
Mélodie Herbas
Esay to read. Nice book for teenagers.
Received this book through the First Reads programme. I didn't really have any expectations which is usually a good thing. However, I was a bit disappointed by this book. The writing style is similar to that of a 14-year-old and while it's told from the perspective of the main character who is about 14 it didn't have to be written like a 14-year-old would write a short story for school. (I assume she's about 14, she could be anything from 11 upwards, but her age is never mentioned).
The blurb on
Susan Mann
This book is aimed at tweens and early teens and it is perfect for them, especially girls I feel. I wouldn't normally read a book aimed at this age group but I really enjoyed it and Rebecca is an amazing writer who brings stories to life. They contain some great advice for teens without being in your face. I wish I had read this book as a teenager myself and will definitely be passing it onto my nieces when they reach their teens.

The book is about a girl called Charlie whom has some great frien
Dinda Lestarini
Charlie is a 13 years old girl who have three best friends, two boys (Max and Toby) and a girl (Allie). Unlike any other girls her age who loves to shopping or talking about boys, she always prefer to do something sporty, like riding a bike or climbing with Max and Toby. When Allie shows her interest in boys, Charlie starts to see the world in new pespective. She becomes more aware of how her friends start to develop feeling for the opposite sex. She also starts to have a vivid dream that seems ...more
o start with, the whole idea and story line of the book was great. the characters were loveable and easy to connect with and had depth. everything you expect from a book.
but the book itself was too simple, too childish, a perfect read for an 11 year old but nothing older. the writing was simplistic and i honestly dont think i wouldve paid money for this book had i not got it through goodreads.
susan murray
Won from goodreads
Charlie is a tomboy and her best friends are max and Toby. When Charlie goes to senior school she meets a girl called allie and hits it of well with her as she's girlie but not to much girlie . The story is good it's about as you grow older your feelings for the opposite sex change and how they all cope . Really enjoyed the stpryline good read for young or old.
Shirley marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Aimee marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Nicole Simmons Edwards
Nicole Simmons Edwards marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Amy Mckee
Amy Mckee marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Michelle marked it as to-read
Irene Austin
Irene Austin marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Vicky marked it as to-read
Victoria Thurgood
Victoria Thurgood marked it as to-read
Patricia Avery
Patricia Avery marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
  • The Renegade's Heart (The True Love Brides)
  • Whirl of the Wheel
  • Love on the Range
  • The Eyes of a Stranger (Nan's Heritage #4)
  • A Hint of Murder (A Hint of Murder #1-3)
  • Alone (Chop, Chop, #8)
  • Noah Zarc: Mammoth Trouble (Noah Zarc #1)
  • Never Underestimate a Caffarelli (Those Scandalous Caffarellis, #2)
  • Christmas is Cancelled (Christmas is Cancelled, #1)
  • Bad Idea: A Novel {with coyotes}
  • First Light (Project Five Fifteen #1)
  • Gone at Zero Hundred 00:00 (McSwain & Beck #1)
  • Gladius and the Bartlett Trial
  • Heaven's Prey (Redemption's Edge, #1)
  • Wolves and War (Planet Wolf, #1)
  • Santina's Scandalous Princess (The Santina Crown #3)
  • A Horse Called September
  • Shadowbloom (Rhyme of the Willow, Book 1)
I have had short stories and flash fiction published in charity anthologies, and also digitally by Ether Books.

'A Knowing Look and Other Stories' is a collection of my short stories and flash fiction published in 2011.

My debut novel, 'New Beginnings' was published by Grimoire Books in January 2012.

My second novel, 'When Dreams Come True' was published on 28 May 2012.
More about Rebecca Emin...
New Beginnings A Knowing Look and Other Stories A Rocky Road A Collection of Flash Fiction, Part 1 Nothing but Flowers: Tales of Post Apocalyptic Love