Start by marking “Бич небесный” as Want to Read:
Бич небесный

Бич небесный

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,383 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
Это книга о хакерах. Не о тех, что взламывают компьютерные системы и охранные коды банков. Бригада Джерри Малкэхи колесит на супервездеходе по Оклахоме в погоне за непредсказуемыми торнадо, бичом небесным Америки ближайшего будущего, чтобы с помощью электронной техники лишить их смертельной силы.
Брюс Стерлинг, отец-основатель киберпанка, философ Мировой Паутины, социолог,
Hardcover, Матрица. Киберреальность, 448 pages
Published 2007 by Эксмо (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Бич небесный, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Бич небесный

Doc Kinne
Mar 18, 2012 Doc Kinne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heavy Weather is Twister in book form - pure and simple.

In some ways the parallels are amazing. The book and the movie came out within two years of each other (can't remember which came first. Both works depict a storm chasing group in the midwest whose lead protagonist is trying to prove a theory. Both even depict...flying cows!

Sterling is one of the best known "cyberpunk" authors, but its important to realize that this book is not cyberpunk in any real sense. It is more "post-apocalyptic" in
Jerry Hanlon
Oct 04, 2015 Jerry Hanlon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read Heavy Weather back when it came out in the 90's about Category 5 tornados long b4 it was popular to conceive of dust bowel like extreme weather droughts in the SW part of the US caused by Climate Change. Sterling is from that part of the country.

I don't know the severity of the May 2013 tornado in Oklahoma, maybe a C4-5 and 2 miles wide somewhat like the unbelievable size of hurricane Sandy.

Bruce Sterling's book was my fictional intro to the future of AGW. His descriptions of coming extre
Trike
Nov 17, 2011 Trike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is by far my favorite Sterling book. Unlike his earlier Mechist-Shaper story cycle, this book still seems all-too-possible. Plus, I want that Jumping Jeep with the Smart Wheels. How awesome was THAT thing?! Daaaamn.

At times the clunky prose intrudes, as do some of the obvious "As you know Bob" moments, but overall this is solid stuff, and still feels like it could happen.
Michael Burnam-fink
Jun 19, 2016 Michael Burnam-fink rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 2016
Heavy Weather looks like an adaptation of the movie Twister on the surface: giant tornadoes, obsessed scientists, even that one scene with the flying cow, but it's actually a smart dark mirror that seriously asks and answers the question "What would it be like to live through the worst of anthropocentric climate change?"

In the year 2031, Alex Unger is dying in a private Mexican hospital when his sister Janey breaks him out and takes him for one last fling chasing tornadoes in blasted West Texas,
Lynne
Fun Bruce Sterling novel about post-apocalyptic group of dubious scientists chasing tornadoes in Texas and Oklahoma, in search of the ultimate tornado that would be so big that it would be permanent and open a vortex into space. Somewhat of a sci-fi comedy as well.
Tomislav
Oct 29, 2014 Tomislav rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Given the extreme weather conditions we have experienced in 2012, this novel from one of the creators of cyberpunk, feels almost ripped from the headlines. And yet, it was published 18 years ago. This is a book about extreme climate change and the the meteorology of North American plains. Weatherpunk? The basic set-up is a band of tornado chasers who operate in 2031 West Texas, a land of declining economics, declining civil order, and declining human survivability. At one point, I did some resea ...more
Ananta
Sep 10, 2008 Ananta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: science fiction, apocalyptic
This is a cautionary near-future sci-fi story of the impact of global warming on weather patterns. We are already seeing the beginning of increased storms, tornados, hurricanes, and tsunamis (or Heavy Weather).

In 2030, the time period of the story, the majority of the U.S. government's budget goes toward disaster relief. Thousands are homeless, the U.S. economy has collapsed, entire geographic areas are abandoned, and some wildlife species die off while others grow out of control.

The story fol
Kate
Third reading of Heavy Weather. I love the descriptions of the tornado chases, they give a visceral thrill to a weather-geek like me (just wish there had been more discussion/description of the F6 tornado and just more about the weather full stop). The political fallout of climate change induced "Heavy weather" are well explored, and considering this book was written in 1993, some of the tech and environmental stuff predicted by Sterling for 2030 are looking pretty likely.

The downside of the bo
Matt
Apr 02, 2008 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm somewhat torn over Bruce Sterling. Most of his books that I have read are from the late Eighties/early Nineties. The reader is usually introduced to a group of characters with an occupation that is out of the norm, in this case storm chasers/"weather hackers". I always find this aspect of the story very intriguing, with the technical details of the occupation being brought to the forefront to show the ways that these folks might view life differently than the rest of us. It's the endings tha ...more
Kathy Sebesta
Aug 06, 2015 Kathy Sebesta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The characters are interesting and you want to know about them. In terms of plot, everything up to the climax was interesting and well-crafted, albeit majorly depressing. The climax was ok, the stuff that followed was stupid and nonsense. Spoiler alert: The last thing a book like this needs is a "They lived happily ever after" ending. What a rip.
David
Apr 10, 2012 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
More character-oriented than my taste. Not sure if character-oriented readers will feel character development is deep enough.
A near-future tale with climate change (and resulting social changes) give a background for a group of tornado chasers / data collectors - and the seriously ill brother of a member of the group. The increased "heavy weather" seems scientifically founded, but I'm not so sure about the basis for the super-storm the tornado chasers are anticipating. When that focus of the boo
Kelly W.
I read this book for a graduate seminar on ecocriticism in later American fiction, and it was probably the only post-19th century lit class I enjoyed in my college career because we read a bunch of science fiction. This book is mainly centered (unsurprisingly) on weather, so if you're a fan of sci fi that deals with environmental collapse, you'll have a good time reading Heavy Weather. My main issues with the novel, however, deal mainly with narrative.

Things I Liked

1. Cyberpunk Genre: I have to
Mike Gowan
Feb 12, 2014 Mike Gowan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an action adventure set in a west Texas and Oklahoma in the not too distant, but dystopic future. The action consists of chasing and recording the biggest tornado ever. The adventure is that it's very risky and the characters are built to be complicated enough to miss them if they get killed.

The story came out 20 years ago and this past year it seems as though weather is getting heavy. Though not quite as heavy as the book.
I just finished reading it on the day that Atlanta was brought
Kimberly
Jun 10, 2009 Kimberly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good premise, but the author tries way too hard to be edgy and high tech. His overstretch technical lingo left me feeling annoyed more than impressed more often than not. Beware the story that aims to preach its post-human excess "this is what Global Warming will do to us" message before it attempts to develop solid characters or plot lines. If you want to scare people with this type of material, write non-fiction. Reality is terrifying enough without embellishment.
Victoria
Oct 19, 2015 Victoria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Heavy Weather by Bruce Sterling starts out rather interesting but flounders for the first oh 100 pages or so, gain's a bit of momentum, and then fizzles out.

Like I say it is very interesting subject matter - the problem is that the writer seems unable to really set a tone that draws the reader in. The characters seem almost emotionally divorced from their actions despite some of them proclaiming intense drive an passion. The story has no "atmosphere" which is interesting given what it's about.

T
Peter
Mar 16, 2015 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sterling was hip to our climate change disaster way before it was widely acknowledged.
Kristoffer
This book was alright. I read it because it sounded to me like it would involve people hacking weather and controlling it with technology. That would have been way better than what the book really was about. It was just about people who took readings on bad weather, and the term hack was used instead of something like "do with a particular skill" rather than the usual use of hack that involves altering something existing to do something different, most often with software. That definition that I ...more
Saul
May 06, 2012 Saul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for all cyberpunk fans of Sterling. I loved all the technology he envisioned in this book. Somehow, someway, every scene in this book will probably take place. If you want to know how our future turns out, read Sterling. It's a must.
Bria
Dec 25, 2011 Bria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe a lot closer to a 3, but sex scenes in books are boring enough as it is, and I'm pretty sure adding an anti-condom homily did nothing to improve the situation.
Andrea Pappas
Apr 21, 2014 Andrea Pappas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
For some reason I just like this one. Characters are nuts and are in search of the (literally) perfect storm: the F5 tornado.
Mike
Feb 22, 2015 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd give this book 5 stars for atmospherics and setting, but only 2 for plot and story. I had a lot of trouble understanding and identifying with the characters.

At one point, I felt like I must have accidentally skipped a few chapters because a minor, peripheral character was suddenly the bad guy, without any explanation or warning.

This is a problem that's common with sci-fi novels - they spend too much time describing (hilariously in this case) the scenery and background, but make little or no
Janet Guss Darwich
Scary as hell, and prescient as ever!
Nicolas
J’ai dû avoir un été extra-lucide. Parce qu’après avoir lu Titan, qui est une vision très anticipée des souçis de la NASA, j’ai lu Gros temps de Bruce Sterling, celui-là même de Schismatrice (fabuleux) et des mailles du réseau (formidable). Bref, un auteur dont on pourrait dire avec peu de mauvaise foi que j’en suis fan. Mais là n’est pas l’objet de cet avis.
Gros temps est un roman qu’on pourrait décrire comme un “Twister” (le film sur les tornades) remis à une sauce cyberpunk. Dans ce roman, o
Erinee
May 03, 2016 Erinee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Actual rating is 2.5.

I liked this book at first.
It looked like a book about The Adventure of semi-professionals' & science enthusiasts' group. Everyday life at camp against half-ruined world, usual people, usual desires. Calm-to-extreme routine and F-6 storm somewhere in future.
It felt somehow new - smooth plot, not so outstanding characters, no hard intrigue, but every aspect was well-balanced creating a pleasant picture.
Then the F-6 came. And it still clicked with everything else. What di
Jimbose
May 26, 2012 Jimbose rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Ero molto curioso di conoscere Sterling, colui che con Gibson, ha definito il cyberpunk. Dovrò proseguire la mia ricerca visto che in questo romanzo si parla di tutt'altro argomento: l'apocalisse ecologica.
Nonostante la delusione per non aver trovato tecnologia avanzata, cibernetica ed innesti artificiali ho cercato di sgombrare la mente da ogni ombra per avventurarmi nel futuro prossimo di un mondo preda di cataclismi atmosferici e mutazioni genetiche.
Beh, mi pare di aver trovato un buon scritt
Erik-korvin
May 09, 2015 Erik-korvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cyberpunk
Чем больше я думаю о книжке, тем больше мне нравится эта идея. Вырастить у себя полезный навык, полезный в первый очередь компании людей, как одержимых болтающихся по южным штатам ради какой-то дурацкой, но величайшей и невозможной грозы, Эф-шесть, откинувших все прочие пути и все прочие возможности ради Эф-шесть, - и вперед взрослеть.

Я смотрю на этот план и не вижу ни единой достойной мысли против.
Scrambled Legs
Dec 03, 2015 Scrambled Legs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Road-trip towards the apocalypse: a bunch of adorable borderline hobos, punks and hackers chase an upcoming super tornado that might rip our planet apart. Sterling clearly had fun writing this hilarious pulp vaudeville, and often goes in a frenzy poetic, cyberpunk overdrive. Alex Unger is as sleek and cool as it gets as a young, rascal protagonist. Strongly recommended for politicians involved in climate change.
Michael Hall
May 25, 2012 Michael Hall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A slightly futuristic (2030-ish) book about storm chasing. It has a bit of a cyber-punk feel that doesn't overwhelm you with technology, and is set in a post-apocalyptic world ravaged by climate change and out of control weather. While the storm chases are fast and engaging, the balance of the story is mostly character driven. There is a new generation and class of people who are learning to live in an America whose government has collapsed, vast areas of the country are abandoned, many are home ...more
Stu
Jan 29, 2016 Stu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cypberpunk
Lots of texture and quick read. Ranged from microscopic observation where time stops to fast forward scene changes. Guess you need those or the book never ends. Could have read much more.
Kalyrohey
Dec 26, 2011 Kalyrohey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cyberpunk
J'ai détesté. Bon, la traduction y est certainement pour beaucoup ! le traducteur d'Asimov avait visiblement besoin de bouffer et ne s'est pas embarrassé des principes de traduction élémentaires. Résultat, j'ai passé la moitié de ma lecture à corriger la traduction plutôt qu'à apprécier l'histoire.
Mais Bonnefoy n'est pas le seul responsable. Les personnages sont plats et caricaturaux, l'histoire part dans tous les sens sans le moindre semblant de logique, et même les scènes d'action, comme celle
  • A Fire in the Sun
  • Wetware (Ware #2)
  • Tea from an Empty Cup (Artificial Reality Division, #1)
  • Vacuum Flowers
  • The Silicon Man
  • Ambient
  • The Shockwave Rider
  • Signal to Noise
  • Remix
  • Hardwired (Hardwired, #1)
  • Mother of Storms
  • City Come a-Walkin'
  • All Tomorrow's Parties (Bridge, #3)
  • Timelike Diplomacy
Michael Bruce Sterling is an American science fiction author, best known for his novels and his seminal work on the Mirrorshades anthology, which helped define the cyberpunk genre.
More about Bruce Sterling...