Paradise

Paradise

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  12 reviews
They promised her that no matter what happened, they would be waiting there for her. They promised that it would only be two weeks, a short vacation, just some time to spend together and away from the daily demands of parenthood. They promised it would be just like going to sleep, and before she knew it, it would be over. These were promises they could not keep.

They always...more
Published January 28th 2012 (first published December 10th 2011)

Jon Fore
Feb 06, 2012 Jon Fore rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I am the author of this book, so I really like it.
Kathleen Ann Bergen
Once you turn off your inner editor, this is a wonderful book. When a young woman from a high tech future manages to survive a near extinction event, she awakens in a woman's body with a mind full of computer generated knowledge, in a world very different from the one she fell asleep in as a child. Sci -fi, adventure, romance and more are mingled in this esoteric novel that beautifully depicts the power of both a culture and individuals to overcome "the way it is" and see the light of "what coul...more
Regina
A beautiful work that explores life after the fall of modern civilization when what was left of humanity has returned to a hunter-gatherer lifestyle, that is until the appearance of an "ancient" (modern human being) who awakes from the chamber where she has been frozen for generations. This special "yellow haired girl", having been exposed to a wealth of modern information and knowledge during her slumber through the technology of the past, leads her adoptive tribe to a new vision of civilizatio...more
Lisa
I don't usually read sci-fi but a friend recommended it and I was pleasantly surprised! The concept of this book was a really good one, very fresh and unique! Hope is so well developed, and the minor characters were rich and interesting. The twists never detracted from my complete enjoyment of this book. As a story about love, fighting for survival, and (no pun intended) hope even in a dystopian age, Paradise is truly a fantastic book.
Jennifer at The Bawdy Book Blog
Per Wikipedia:
Paradise is a religious term for a place in which existence is positive, harmonious and timeless. It is conceptually a counter-image of the supposed miseries of human civilization, and in paradise there is only peace, prosperity, and happiness. Paradise is a place of contentment, but it is not necessarily a land of luxury and idleness.
Paradise is often described as a “higher place”, the holiest place, in contrast to Hell.

Paradise by Jon Fore can only be described as a thought-provo...more
Darby
What I liked about the story (without trying to give too much away) is that though it was sort of a dystopia kind of book it wasn't all that tragically sad. The ending was very good, a little sad but still happy. Um, yeah. So if any questions feel free to ask.
Cheryl
Feb 29, 2012 Cheryl marked it as to-read
Adventure time! Go, call your friends!
Kelley
loved this book!
Chelsea
I received this book through a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway. When I first started reading this book, it seemed like a cross between 'Clan of the Cave Bear' and 'Idiocracy.' I still can't think of a better way to describe the concept/setting of this book. Hope is put in a containment unit that keeps her in suspended animation while her parents go on a trip; however, while she is in there an apocalyptic event happens that wipes out most of the people on Earth. We are then transported to Michigan...more
John
Great premise, but didn't really feel things were developed. Certain parts of the boom were rushed, which in my opinion were more interesting to explore and certain things had a lot of time spent when I didn't think it was overly important. The ending felt quite a bit rushed as well. There were so many editing errors as well that distracted fem the story.
Icia
This book was not alltogether great. It was what I had hoped for. It was worth the read however. It makes you wonder about what life may be like after civilization... And that is a question I have wondered.
Marika Taylor
I loved the idea of the book more than the book itself. Had potential but failed to live up to it.
Meaghan
Meaghan marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Agustina
Agustina marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Shellie
Shellie marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Susan Reeves demasi
Susan Reeves demasi marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Erin Maronick
Erin Maronick marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Linsey Kinsey-Lindh
Linsey Kinsey-Lindh marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Diane T.
Diane T. marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Susi Reynolds
Susi Reynolds marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Amanda Gronemeyer
Amanda Gronemeyer marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Katrina Isis
Katrina Isis marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Shanna_redwind
Shanna_redwind marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
Nina Hundley
Nina Hundley marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2013
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2013
  • What Came After
  • Self-published version: At the End: A Post-Apocalyptic Novel (The Road to Extinction, #1)
  • Gyges the Terrible
  • The Deserter (The Bone World Trilogy, #2)
  • Perception (Tigers' Eye, #1)
  • Hope's Daughter (The Ambrosia Sequence, #1)
  • Battle for Cascadia (Gaia Wars, #2)
  • No Shelter (No Shelter, #1)
  • Shining in Crimson (Empire of Blood, #1)
  • Getting Out of Jersey (Undead-Earth, #1)
  • Hammerhead
  • The Burn (The Burn, #1)
  • Abstrus (Planet Abstrus, #1)
  • Redwood Pack, Vol. 2 (Redwood Pack, #3-3.5)
  • The Last Myth: What the Rise of Apocalyptic Thinking Tells Us about America
  • UnEarthed (UnEarthed, #1)
  • Osiris (The Osiris Project, #1)
  • Petroplague
Jon Fore was born in Marysville, Ohio in 1968, the third son of Dave and Judy Fore. After graduating Manalapan High School in 1987, Jon enlisted in the United States Navy, serving a combat role during Desert Storm. Now he lives in Florida with his beautiful wife and three wonderful children.

His first professional short story, Mid Watch sold in 2004 to The Pow Wow Paper. This was to precede a numbe...more
More about Jon Fore...
Remnant Few Black Water Bone Orchard Vega Rising (The Collective #1) A Congress of Angels (The Collective #2)