Start by marking “Paradise” as Want to Read:

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  12 reviews
They promised her that no matter what happened, they would be waiting there for her. They promised that it would only be two weeks, a short vacation, just some time to spend together and away from the daily demands of parenthood. They promised it would be just like going to sleep, and before she knew it, it would be over. These were promises they could not keep.

They always
Published January 28th 2012 (first published December 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paradise

Jonathan Fore
Feb 06, 2012 Jonathan Fore rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I am the author of this book, so I really like it.
Kathleen Ann Bergen
Once you turn off your inner editor, this is a wonderful book. When a young woman from a high tech future manages to survive a near extinction event, she awakens in a woman's body with a mind full of computer generated knowledge, in a world very different from the one she fell asleep in as a child. Sci -fi, adventure, romance and more are mingled in this esoteric novel that beautifully depicts the power of both a culture and individuals to overcome "the way it is" and see the light of "what coul ...more
A beautiful work that explores life after the fall of modern civilization when what was left of humanity has returned to a hunter-gatherer lifestyle, that is until the appearance of an "ancient" (modern human being) who awakes from the chamber where she has been frozen for generations. This special "yellow haired girl", having been exposed to a wealth of modern information and knowledge during her slumber through the technology of the past, leads her adoptive tribe to a new vision of civilizatio ...more
I don't usually read sci-fi but a friend recommended it and I was pleasantly surprised! The concept of this book was a really good one, very fresh and unique! Hope is so well developed, and the minor characters were rich and interesting. The twists never detracted from my complete enjoyment of this book. As a story about love, fighting for survival, and (no pun intended) hope even in a dystopian age, Paradise is truly a fantastic book.
Jennifer at BookShelfery
Per Wikipedia:
Paradise is a religious term for a place in which existence is positive, harmonious and timeless. It is conceptually a counter-image of the supposed miseries of human civilization, and in paradise there is only peace, prosperity, and happiness. Paradise is a place of contentment, but it is not necessarily a land of luxury and idleness.
Paradise is often described as a “higher place”, the holiest place, in contrast to Hell.

Paradise by Jon Fore can only be described as a thought-provo
What I liked about the story (without trying to give too much away) is that though it was sort of a dystopia kind of book it wasn't all that tragically sad. The ending was very good, a little sad but still happy. Um, yeah. So if any questions feel free to ask.
Feb 29, 2012 Cheryl marked it as to-read
Adventure time! Go, call your friends!
loved this book!
I received this book through a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway. When I first started reading this book, it seemed like a cross between 'Clan of the Cave Bear' and 'Idiocracy.' I still can't think of a better way to describe the concept/setting of this book. Hope is put in a containment unit that keeps her in suspended animation while her parents go on a trip; however, while she is in there an apocalyptic event happens that wipes out most of the people on Earth. We are then transported to Michigan ...more
Great premise, but didn't really feel things were developed. Certain parts of the boom were rushed, which in my opinion were more interesting to explore and certain things had a lot of time spent when I didn't think it was overly important. The ending felt quite a bit rushed as well. There were so many editing errors as well that distracted fem the story.
Jun 04, 2012 Icia rated it 3 of 5 stars
This book was not alltogether great. It was what I had hoped for. It was worth the read however. It makes you wonder about what life may be like after civilization... And that is a question I have wondered.
Marika Taylor
I loved the idea of the book more than the book itself. Had potential but failed to live up to it.
Katrina Lantz
Katrina Lantz marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Eleanor Nettleton
Eleanor Nettleton is currently reading it
Oct 06, 2015
Barbara marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Silent marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Tricia marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Ellie marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Daniel Hansen
Daniel Hansen marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Joyce marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Mary marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Ilana marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Meaghan marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Tormenta marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
  • What Came After
  • At the End (The Road to Extinction, #1)
  • The Great Bay: Chronicles of the Collapse
  • Spire
  • Getting Out of Jersey (Undead-Earth, #1)
  • 21 Erased
  • No Shelter (No Shelter, #1)
  • Gyges the Terrible
  • Terminal Point (Strykers Syndicate, #2)
  • Shining in Crimson (Empire of Blood, #1)
  • The Water Thief
  • Battle for Cascadia (Gaia Wars, #2)
  • Welcome to Adelheid (Adelheid #1-3)
  • Vestige
  • Petroplague
  • The Dragon Tree Legacy
  • Taming The Wolff
  • But Not for Long
Jonathan Fore was born in Marysville, Ohio in 1968, the third son of Dave and Judy Fore. After graduating Manalapan High School in 1987, Jon enlisted in the United States Navy, serving a combat role during Desert Storm.

Jonathan lives in Florida with his beautiful wife Lisa, and three wonderful children, two dogs (Katie aka. Nutter-Butter-Butt and Po-po), and a cat or two. The cats' names were wi
More about Jonathan Fore...