Start by marking “Il ponte a tre archi” as Want to Read:
Il ponte a tre archi

Il ponte a tre archi

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  648 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Albania, 1377. Un poveretto, Gjelosh l’idiota, è in preda a una crisi epilettica sulle rive dell’Uyana, un fiume considerato portatore di sventura. Un tale che si dichiara veggente, confuso tra la folla testimone di quel fatto inconsueto, interpreta le convulsioni come un segno divino e chiede che in quello stesso punto venga costruito un ponte di pietra. Per sfatare l’alo ...more
Hardcover, La gaja scienza #661, 240 pages
Published April 5th 2002 by Longanesi (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Il ponte a tre archi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Il ponte a tre archi

Jane
In 1377 a monk, Gjon [John] Ukcama, begins his chronicle of the events of that time in his corner of Albania. What follows is a mesmerizing, frightening tale. It can be read on several levels; the straightforward narrative of a bridge being built over a raging river, the Ujana e Keqe ["Wild waters"], its construction undermined by sabotage and bitter rivalry between two entities: Boats & Rafts and Roads & Bridges. Byzantium is crumbling; the Ottoman Empire encroaches on Albania; Gjon wri ...more
Caroline
Only red blood in common.

A babble of languages. Their music ‘this stupor, this hashish dissolved in the air in the form of song'. Their dervishes with ragged clothes that look like hair, and with hair that looks like rags. The differences between Europe and Ottoman Asia, suddenly at Albania’s borders.

But more differences between ‘us' and ‘them' come before that--among people of the Balkans themselves. Obscured competition for the profits of commerce come to this small principality from outside,
Fahad
Dec 29, 2012 Fahad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, favorites
الجسر

كاداريه من جديد، اقترب متهيباً، فالذروة التي وصلتها مع (الحصار)، أعقبها هبوط مع (قصة مدينة الحجر)، فما الذي يخبئه لي كاداريه في جسره؟

صفحتين فقط، كل ما كان كاداريه يحتاجه ليشد أذني قبل انتباهي، وكأن الألباني العجوز الذي أمتعني في (الحصار) و(دورنتين) و(الوحش) غاضب من تشكيكي بقدراته، في هذه الرواية تتردد كالعادة موضوعة كاداريه الأثيرة الأسطورة عندما تمتزج بالواقع، لتصنع عالماً خاصاً.

تدور أحداث الرواية في ألبانيا القرون الوسطى، على ضفة نهر الأويان يصرع رجل غريب، فيتحدث الناس عن أن هذه إشارة
Gurldoggie
Oct 14, 2012 Gurldoggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story is set in 1377, and our narrator is an Albanian monk, who watches as the Turkish armies gather over the Balkan Peninsula. With a few deft strokes Kidare conveys the great extent of political and economic shifts occurring in Europe in the late Middle Ages: the collapse of Byzantium, the spread of an international currency and the formation of large financial conglomerates, some of them complicit with the emerging Turkish imperial expansion.

A picture is created of a community in the grip
Brent
I thought this book was fantastic. Kadare's story is short, almost a novella, and yet it is layered with issues of every shape and size, from mythology and religion to war and architecture. There are hints of fable and satire in this story, and while it is set in the medieval period its questions about authority and deceit feel targeted toward the modern day. I am fully impressed by Kadare's ability to write such a multi-faceted tale.
Mérita Selimi
Oct 16, 2013 Mérita Selimi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My rating may not be totally objective (I was about to give it four stars actually) but this novel's core is a legend my father told me when I was a little girl (the legend of Rozafa) so I guess it really resonates in me, on a personal level.

Anyway, in this novel Kadare analyses the relationship between legends and reality. He tends to demonstrate how legends can be (have been?) used for treacherous purposes (conceal a crime for example...).

But as a master of allegories and metaphors, Kadare dev
Tara
Alta
The Three-Arched Bridge, written in Albania between 1976 and 1978, is based on a myth of sacrifice and creation, which also appears in other works by Kadare, and is present in different versions throughout the Balkans.

The legend is about three brothers, all masons, whose efforts to build a castle were in vain because everything built during daytime was destroyed by an unknown force at night. After having unsuccessfully worked for a long time, the masons are told by a wise man that the construct
Gray Side
May 29, 2013 Gray Side rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
image

رواية تاريخية تعتمد على أساطير ألبانية قديمة، الجسر هو العنصر الرئيسي الذي تدور حوله الأحداث، يظهر بناء الجسر متحدياً نهر الأويان اللعين وينفر الناس من هذا المخلوق الغريب وتشاركهم جنيات الماء هذا النفور.

المد العثماني هاجس يرعب أهل أربيريا -اسم ألبانيا القديم- وتوافد جواسيس الأتراك إلى البلاد ينذر بكارثة قريبة، تتضارب مصالح بناة الجسر مع أصحاب العبّارات وينتهي الأمر بأضحية بشرية تُحبس في بناء الجسر لتحميه من هجمات عفاريت المياه، تتعاقب فصول السنة وانحسار النهر وامتداده على أهالي البلدة ونذر الحر
Alex Panait
„Eu, calugarul Gjon, fiul lui Gjorg Ukcama, stiind ca pre limba noastra inca nimic nu s-a scris despre podul de peste Ujana cea Rea, ba chiar continua sa se vorbeasca despre el vrute si nevrute, multime de scorneli si vorbe mincinoase, acum, cand podul a fost deja ispravit si chiar stropit in trei randuri cu sange, la temelie si pe culme, m-am hotarat sa-i astern cronica pe hartie…“
Sorin Hadârcă
Ismail Kadare poate fi genial dacă vrea, nu și în "Podul cu trei arce". Romanul de față face parte din seria de exerciții mitologice, prin care autorul ia câte o legendă veche și o întoarce pe față și pe dos găsindu-i noi dedesupturi. Un fel de a coase dosar penal Meșterului Manole.
Melania
Feb 13, 2016 Melania rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
ISMAIL KADARE - PODUL CU TREI ARCE

Istorisită de unul dintre călugării sfătuitori ai contelui, Gjon, cel căruia i se pare necesar să spună adevărul unor fapte petrecute sub ochii săi, mai cu seamă că vremurile și conducătorii se pot schimba de la o zi la alta, povestea începe cu un fapt prevestitor de rău augur, prăbușirea unui om, lovit de epilepsie, chiar pe locul unde se va construi podul cu trei arce (admirabil reconstituit pe coperta volumului). Într-o Albanie aflată la răscruce de timpuri ș
Moira McPartlin
Set in 1377 and narrated by an Albanian monk, this at first doesn't seem an attractive read but I'm a fan of Ismail Kadare so gave it a go. It didn't disappoint. In his usual style of weaving Albanian folk tales with history The Three-Arched Bridge tells of the invasion of the Ottoman empire into Europe and the threat to Christianity. But it is also a story of small town politics, fear, ignorance and greed. It is, in essence, an allegory of modern times. Very clever.
Chrissie
A different bridge, a different river and a different time but the story of this book's bridge and the story of the bridge depicted by the Bosnian author Ivo Andric in The Bridge on the Drina are ultimately the same. I prefer Andric's story. There is a beauty in Andric's story that shines. Here desolation is the prominent tone. I was haunted by the similarity. How can one author copy another like this?! Read the original by Andric.
Larry
May 30, 2016 Larry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful tale dating back to 1377 in Albania on the Balkan peninsula, when the very idea of a ‘bridge’ was loaded with fear, superstition, old legends, and just maybe, human sacrifice.
It’s is a scary time anyway. There are signs and portents of doom everywhere, most notably the growing menace of the Ottoman Turk Empire. A bridge over the river Ujana e Keqe will bring who knows what?
The local liege has been duped into allowing the bridge to be built. But construction is sabotaged, by the wat
Bbrown
Jun 09, 2016 Bbrown rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strangely enough, this is not the first book I've read where the central focus is on an arched bridge in the Balkans: I've also read The Bridge on the Drina by Ivo Andric. That work was more ambitious than Kadare's The Three-Arched Bridge, as it sought to encapsulate four hundred years of history of the town of Višegrad in Bosnia. The Three-Arched Bridge is likewise doing more than just telling the story of the construction of a bridge, but at its end I feel like this is one of Kadare's less imp ...more
Jesse
Feb 07, 2014 Jesse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
As the title of the book says, Ismail Kadare's De brug met drie bogen is about a bridge. It is constructed in the period 1377-1379 in a small Albanian village. The narrator, a monk named Gjon, intents to chronicle the construction of the bridge during bleak times.

I am a proponent of a political reading: the bridge is constructed at a time when the Ottoman Empire expands on to the Balkan and threatens the people of the village. This is also a time of flowering capitalism. The bridge connects the
Louise
Mar 27, 2013 Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the narrator says, this is a simple but complex story. The narrator, a monk, called upon to translate for the rulers of his tiny universe, watches and reports on the building of a bridge and the changing landscape.

There is the imagery of the middle ages, its superstition, its brutality, its insularity and the, perhaps, self fulfilling outlook that the world is beyond their control.

The ruler of this area refuses a good strategic marriage for his daughter without concern for the wider world and
Sebastian
Jun 15, 2016 Sebastian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the new edition of 2010 which has a different cover art.

Looking for new books, I remembered the book "The General of the Dead Army" which is thoroughly enjoyed and bought two of his other books. And I was not disappointed. I very much enjoy the way the story and mysterious old customs are intertwined in his narrative (which has been true in each of the three books of him I have read). Everytime I read a book of his makes me want to research the background of the story.
Carol
This short, atmospheric novel is narrated by a fourteenth-century Albanian monk as he observes the construction of a bridge across a river. The construction arouses curiosity, skepticism, and even fear in the inhabitants of the nearby village, especially once the construction process takes an unexpected turn that echoes an old, sinister legend. This all occurs across a backdrop of bickering nobles, a weakening Byzantine Empire, the encroachment of the rising Ottomans, and rumors of war and plagu ...more
Russell
Feb 08, 2016 Russell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set during the Middle Ages, this short novel concerns the life of a Balkan river village during the construction of the title bridge. Told from the perspective of an upper-level monk, it offers a fascinating look at medieval local politics and the power of myth to influence public opinion. The crisp and lively translation of Kadare's prose also adds greatly to the appeal.

5 stars, a great intro to this author's work.
خلود بن خميس
رواية رائعة جدا رغم تحفظي على الجزء المذكور به الأتراك..سلاسة وجمال يصوغانها ، بها من الأساطير والمواعظ اشئ الجميل. ربما هي اشبه بحالنا الآن . هي باعتقادي عبارة عن تاريخ يعيد ويكرر نفسه ولكن بحلة جديدة .
اشعر بالأسى تجاه مرّاش زينيبيس واعتقد انه كبش فداء وليس أضحية ساقتها قدماها لقدرها
استمتعت بقراءتها لم تخدش عيني ولا فكري كبعض الروايات.
اريد ان اقتنيها واقرأها اكثر من مرة
انصح بها

ودمتم بود
Leon
Jan 31, 2010 Leon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The novel succeeds the most, I think, in depicting a bleak world full of hearsay, rumour and confusion created by its inhabitants. People naturally create myths, stories and rumours as they struggle to interpret things beyond their control. Even Gjon's writing, though he strives for objectivity and truth, is full of knowledge gaps, conflicting symbols and confused feelings.

Many reviews stress that the "political" importance of the book, especially now that we've all been over-sensitised to Isla
Cornelia
Mar 09, 2016 Cornelia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nu pot să explic de ce îmi place Ismail Kadare, poate proza îmbibată cu nostalgie sau influența trecutului...

Ne întoarcem în timp, în anii 1300. Un călugăr relatează detaliile înfricoșătoare ale modului în care a fost construit podul. Contextul politic era tulbure, turcii se apropiau de Constantinopol și Albania știa că va urma și ea curând.

Mi s-a părut interesantă existența unei legende apropiate de Meșterul Manole (cu diferența ca era vorba de un pod). Prezența sacrificiului (se pare recurentă
Colin Baird
Jun 28, 2015 Colin Baird rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this a couple of years ago. Hugely enjoyed because of the story and unusual context and beliefs of middle ages Albania. The topic of the construction of a bridge appeals to my engineering background
Sierra
Jul 25, 2015 Sierra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bridging-the-gap
The pull of death and the draw of life are synonymous, this tale seems to tell us, as the bridge between life and death is represented in the three-arches which required blood to build.
Wijnand Marchal
Jul 02, 2016 Wijnand Marchal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Start of my "summer reading pleasures", as one of my American professors used to call the books he saved for his summer holidays. I've read several books of Ismael Kadare. In "The three arched bridge" he describes the construction of a bridge in medival Albania, which he combines with local legends and customs, historic developments and an exciting plot. He tells the story through the eyes of a local monk who is involved as a translator, observer and confident for rulers, strangers and villagers ...more
Jamie
Jan 31, 2016 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very quick, very morbid, and well-written read.
Tamisha
Apr 14, 2016 Tamisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summary: death, taxes, and the Ottoman Empire
Joe Canas
  • The Sleep of the Righteous
  • O Cobrador
  • Scars
  • A Thousand Morons
  • Fantomas contra los vampiros multinacionales
  • The Golden Age
  • The Canvas
  • The Novices of Sais
  • The Curious Case of Dassoukine’s Trousers
  • Things in the Night
Ismail Kadare (also spelled Kadaré) is an Albanian novelist and poet. He has been a leading literary figure in Albania since the 1960s. He focused on short stories until the publication of his first novel, The General of the Dead Army. In 1996 he became a lifetime member of the Academy of Moral and Political Sciences of France. In 1992, he was awarded the Prix mondial Cino Del Duca; in 2005, he wo ...more
More about Ismail Kadare...