Start by marking “Zombie Bake-Off” as Want to Read:
Zombie Bake-Off

Zombie Bake-Off

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  26 reviews
It's time for the annual Recipe Days bake-off in Lubbock, Texas. Soccer moms and grandmothers gather to show off their family recipes, learn new secrets for the perfect shortcake, and perhaps earn a chance to be on the famous cooking show, How Would You Cook It, Then?

When the bake-off is crashed by a federation of pro wrestlers -- including American Badass, Jersey Devil Ji
Published January 27th 2012 by Lazy Fascist Press

To ask other readers questions about Zombie Bake-Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zombie Bake-Off

Caleb Ross
Sequel? Prison Laundry-Off? Yes, please.
Jesse Bullington
Absurdly cool and entertaining. One of the things I most admire about SGJ is that his work manages to be both dependably excellent and wildly unpredictable. This goes for his overall body of work, with one project being totally unlike anything else he's done, but also for the individual works themselves. Take, for example, this monster ballad of semi-pro wrestlers and amateur bake-off participants locked in an arena with an ever-growing horde of zombies. With a premise that gold you know everyth ...more
Emory
You think you know your zombies. Get bitten by one, become one. The fixation on brains. Exterminate with the liberal application of lead to the brain case. Well, yeah, maybe you do. So, pop quiz: Do you know what happens when you mix Desperate Housewives, WWE, the Food Network, and George A. Romero then bake at 350 for two-hundred pages? Let Stephen Graham Jones show you with his novel, “Zombie Bake-Off.”

Let me be blunt: this is novel is not some great literary achievement. You will not be pro
Matthew Vaughn
Even though the market for the zombie genre is getting over-saturated I’m still a pretty big fan of the living dead. What I mean by big fan is really more toward the visual side, movies, television shows, and video games. It wasn’t until here recently that I started reading books and stories featuring the undead. I used to think that a good zombie apocalypse would be hard to translate to the written word in an entertaining way. I have since realized I was wrong.
This book starts out like a lot o
Charles Dee Mitchell
Stephen Graham Jones novel suffers the fate of so many of the horror movies it is based on. After a great set up and the introduction of entertaining characters, the proceedings devolve into page and after page of typical zombie mayhem. Jones keeps things moving at an admirable clip, but dozens of descriptions of death by zombie become tedious. The novel quickly becomes neither funny nor fun. Written accounts of zombie mutilations lack the visceral kick of the gut pulling and brain munching that ...more
Derek Pennycuff
Professional wrestlers vs soccer moms… and everyone's a zombie. The premise is so ridiculous I end up feeling like this one didn't fully embrace it's gonzo / bizarro fiction potential. It's too weird to be an enjoyable straight novel — as straight as any zombie fiction can get anyway. But it doesn't go all Evil Dead or even Return of the Living Dead either.

Two characters in particular do things that make no sense from within the world of the setting, but they set up future scenes nicely. The na
Brian Sammons
Read it and really enjoyed it. Full review coming, but for right now let me just say that if you like your zombies with a side of silly, not to mention with a dash of pro wrestlers, then this is the books for you.

My full review can be read here: http://horrorworld.org/hw/2012/08/zom...
Amy
Jun 07, 2013 Amy added it
How can you NOT like the title alone? :D

And, "Oh yeeeeeah," a reference to Randy Savage?

Wrestlers, soccer moms, bakers, and zombie mayhem from start to finish; what's not to like?
Daniel Petersen
This was a fun read. But not in the way that the title might seem to imply. This is not a 'comedy' or a 'spoof' or even 'whacky' and 'zany' and the like. It's an actual story with an actual plot and actual characters. An entertaining tale that builds to a pretty satisfying denouement. It is funny in its very premise and in some of the details of the working out of that premise. And yes, it is absurd and outrageous in its mechanism and scenario. I guess it strikes me as some obscure but classic-w ...more
Kristen
Over-the-top ridiculousness. Not bad for an audiobook to listen to while commuting in traffic, although I think the author underestimates the difficulty of literally ripping a human limb off, even if it's being ripped from a reanimated corpse. Unless that body is significantly decayed, it's probably not coming off that easily. But that's just the scientist in me, nitpicking. ;)
Mike Mayer
I cannot believe I actually read the whole thing. It's at the same literary value as sharknado, crocasauris, killer bunnies vs alien mummies, or whatever other bizarre "horror" mixtures syfy channel can come up with. I believe I need to go shower now...
Dorothy O'Connell
I loved this book. I taught it in a class on Literature of the Southwest US. The students loved it. They got it. And they got to meet Stephen, too, which I think made them lifelong fans. :-)
Misty
ummmm it was ok. I was left a bit confused in the beginning. Maybe i missed something because it was an audio book. Who knows. However its over and im moving on. lol
Shannon Kitchens
I may, or may not go back to this book. Other reviews of it seem to be high, but I just couldn't get into it. I am a big fan of zombie lit, but this story was falling flat for me. Mostly action. Present tense (a personal irk). More characters than I can discern who are flat and archetypes. Lot's of machismo and a bad feminist character. It felt like it wanted to be a screenplay more than a novel, and if it was, I may have enjoyed it more. The absurdity of the premise is not lived up to in the te ...more
Whitney
Sorry, but not my cup of tea. However, I'll give two stars for creativity
Penny
Interesting premise, but no. Just no.
Bobby Garmon
Entertaining but shallow
Tanya
Soccer moms, wrestlers and zombies! Fun story
Tasha
Couldn't finish this. Slow.
Aaron Bond
Not my favorite.
Christopher Novas
An absurd concept of Zombies vs. Soccer Moms vs. Wrestlers that shouldn't work, but does. I felt like I was reading a really entertaining/funny movie. That's dope.
Nicholas Lubofsky
Any book in which the author thanks both George Romero and Betty Crocker in the Acknowledgments — you know it's going to be awesome!! ...more
Benjamin
It is one of the humous zombie books that seem like it original. the feel of it is like watching a Saturday morning show for adults.
Jake Gest
This spectacle of zombies, wrestlers and soccer moms tearing each-other limb from limb was unforgivingly gory. Loved every moment of it.
Loretta
This is AWESOME! If you enjoy zombie stories, THIS IS FOR YOU! Oh, yeah... this is definitely for you!
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Kristine
Kristine marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Stephen Graham Jones is the author of eight novels and two collections. Stephen's been a Shirley Jackson Award finalist three times, a Bram Stoker Award finalist, a Black Quill Award finalist, an International Horror Guild finalist, a Colorado Book Award Finalist, a Texas Monthly Book Selection, and has won the Texas Institute of Letters Award for Fiction and the Independent Publishers Award for M ...more
More about Stephen Graham Jones...
Demon Theory Growing Up Dead in Texas The Ones That Got Away All the Beautiful Sinners The Least of My Scars

“If there's any better place to get stoned than a rolling box full of pastry, then they didn't have the keys for it, anyway.” 3 likes