Start by marking “The Truth Is a Cave in the Black Mountains” as Want to Read:
The Truth Is a Cave in the Black Mountains

The Truth Is a Cave in the Black Mountains

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,475 Ratings  ·  785 Reviews
Novelette, from Neil Gaiman.

From the collection Stories, edited by Neil Gaiman and Al Sarrantonio.

Read here:

Published June 2010 by http://www.fiftytwostories.com

Carolina
Jul 08, 2014 Carolina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror
A tiny confession, I didn't actually read the book, I listened to it. And I did so possibly in the best conditions one could ever ask for: Neil Gaiman was the one doing the reading, there was a string quartet playing in the background, there were beautiful illustrations being projected AND the performance took place in Scotland. (I am sorry for the bragging sentiment throughout, but this show just made me so excited!)

If I had read the book, I'd maybe have given it only 4 stars, but one can't rea
Mark
Jul 01, 2014 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is only the length of a short story, so I actually read it the same night I posted it to my currently reading shelf, but it also needed time to settle after reading. I read it again last night, and it is definitely a story that benefits from multiple readings. For one thing, early comments make more or different sense on a second reading, but for another, there is actually quite a bit to puzzle over in the story.

It is a simple, dark story in some ways, but it also gave me the feeling t
Councillor
Neil Gaiman is such a talented author, I'm honestly blown away by his writing abilities. "The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains" is the third short story of Gaiman's I've read so far - and I haven't even touched any of his longer novels, although I recently started "The Ocean at the End of the Lane" - and I'm already considering him to be one of those authors you can pick any story you want from and will never be left disappointed by it.

In general, you shouldn't expect to read this work and
Phrynne
Aug 25, 2014 Phrynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely delightful. This is really a short story but it comes with magnificent art work, some of it in similar format to a graphic novel so there is much more to take in than just the story itself. Gaiman bases his book on part of a legend from the Scottish Hebrides and it has all that you would expect from such a tale, otherworldly beings, touches of magic, death and revenge to name just some. It is just beautiful and will get pride of place on my bookshelves.
Arielle Walker
I did not like this book.

Just to clarify: not story - book.

The illustrations, such an important, intrinsic part of the book (or so we keep being told), mix digital and traditional media in a way that becomes increasingly awkward. The design of the book is clumsy, false, generated "textures" behind every block of text - and they really are blocks of text, with no fluidity or integration, so the images and words feel constantly separated, at odds. Fine, sure, this could have worked for a differen
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
There is a power to the format. I forgot I had read (or listened to, rather) this in the volume Stories: All-New Tales. This is an illustrated book, and the illustrations made it worth the accidental reread. Eddie Campbell is a wonderful artist. I loved the color and expressiveness of his paintings and drawings. The story itself is short and melancholy and reads a bit like magical realism. It's a meditation on the weight of guilt and the need to avenge. What both does to a person.

I had forgotten
Iona
I expected great things from this short story and instead it fell a bit flat. This novel is a result of a live reading Gaiman did where the artist, Eddie Campbell, did live artwork as Neil read this story. The art work itself is not to my taste and always felt a little unfinished to me. I have been to one of these Gaiman events and while they work well on the night I would have expected the artwork in the book to be a little more polished, although I do not know this artists style so I don't kno ...more
Diamond Cowboy
This was not a bad book. Enjoy and Be Blessed.
Diamond
Priyanka
Mar 12, 2015 Priyanka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Wonderfully dark and truly a thing of tactile beauty. There are very few stories that deserve a rereading purely to add another dimension to the tale and even few where words and pictures are woven together with perfection. A dark, whimsical and unsettling tale, filled with poignancy and a sense of disquietude that lingers on long afterwards.

A quintessential Gaiman delight!
Ben Babcock
I love libraries! I hadn’t planned to get the illustrated version of this, or probably read it at all. But then there it was, on my library’s New Books shelf, staring at me … and I stared back … and I borrowed it. Because that’s what libraries let you do. They let you take books, as long as you promise to bring them back. It’s amazing.

The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains is a short story reimagined as a picture book for adults. Actually, I think we need more picture books for adults. No, n
Sam Quixote
Jul 23, 2014 Sam Quixote rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set on the Isle of Skye in Scotland a long time ago, a dwarf visits a man who knows the location of a cave far away in the mountains - a cave that contains gold to make a man rich for a lifetime. So begins the pair’s perilous quest into the darkness ahead…

I know Neil Gaiman has a LOT of female fans, legions of them who probably outnumber the male fans, so it’s going to be interesting to see their reaction to this book as the female characters - all two of them - are treated very badly.

Gail Simon
Cherie
Welllll... I have been thinking about this little book for a couple of days now. I actually gave it 4 stars, but have pushed it down to 3 today. There is a whole range of emotions between 3 and 4 and I was not excited enough to go tell everyone I know that they have to read this book. Don't take it wrong, there is nothing wrong with it. It is a dark story, much like a lot of Gaiman's work. It is definately not a fairytale for kids under 22 (an arbitrary number), this is for adults.

It is a pictur
Karl Orbell
Jul 04, 2014 Karl Orbell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A long time ago, in a land far away, well, last October and about nine miles away in central London; Neil Gaiman read me a story, it was called Fortunately, the Milk.... A marvellous experience. So when I heard he was returning to London on the 4th July to read another book, well, I nearly broke a nail clicking on that mouse and hammering the keys so fast to get a decent ticket. At least I did when the Barbican finally released the ticket sales to non-members (it was at 9am, I had to set a blood ...more
Trish
Nov 28, 2015 Trish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As soon as I became aware of Neil Gaiman (actively) and started reading one book of his after another, I also came across The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains. Thanks to amazon I was able to look into it but somehow I misjudged / underestimated it until now. Then, a couple of days ago, Neil Gaiman himself started tweeting about it having been adapted for BBC Radio 4. Since I already enjoyed the BBC adaptations of two of the author's other books, I gave this a chance.

I can only apologize.

If
Amber
Mar 15, 2015 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: librarybooks
When Calum MacInnes is asked by a Leprachaun to guide him to the Misty Isle to get all the gold he can carry, the man agrees only by a bribe of Silver. Will they make it to the cave in the Misty Isle or are they doomed to fail? Read on for yourself and find out.

This was a pretty good St. Patrick's Day tale set in Scotland about a cursed cave in the mountains and the darkness within it. It was a great Graphic novel by Neil Gaiman and the artwork by the Illustrator was beautiful. I found this book
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I was reading all the introductions to the stories in Neil Gaiman's new collection Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances, and he said he had performed this story with the FourPlay String Quartet. I went looking and found it in Audible.

Neil Gaiman is an excellent teller of stories, and I usually enjoy his audio. This is an entertaining short story, not as twisty as some of his, but I liked the musical interludes and accompaniment. He seems to be writing several stories set in the Hebri
Nov 28, 2015 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie
From BBC Radio 4 - Book at Bedtime:
Chilling revenge for a terrible crime is at the heart of Neil Gaiman's multi-award-winning novelette, inspired by a Hebridean myth and originally commissioned by the Sydney Opera House for the Graphic Festival with celebrated illustrator Eddie Campbell.

1/5. A dwarf seeks a guide to a certain cave on the Misty Isle.

2/5. The dwarf persuades Callum McInnes to take him to the cave on the Misty Isle.

3/5. The reaver realises the dwarf is not all that he seems.

4/5. Th
Suad Shamma
Dec 14, 2014 Suad Shamma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, own, 2014
"I will not forgive myself for the year that I hated my daughter..."

This is my favourite book of the year. Yep, there. I said it. I read it in one sitting, and I could have read it again and again and again. It left me reeling. I finished the book, closed it, and the first thing out of my mouth was, "Oh my God..."

I was breathless, and overjoyed that I found a book that could still make me react this way! What an amazing story. It made me feel like a child again. We start out with that great open
Melki
May 14, 2016 Melki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-fiction
This is a story I first encountered in Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances, a tale of one man's search for gold and revenge.

The illustrations are ugly, yet well suited to the narrative.
Joey
Sep 19, 2015 Joey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
This story is as short as its main character. Somewhat cool pics.
Nikki
I got this to review from Headline via Bookbridgr. Like I needed another source of goodies! Anyway, I hadn't read this short story before, so my first experience of it was this version with Eddie Campbell's illustrations and the slightly odd partial graphic novel format (which I wanted to kill with fire because for whatever reason I found the lettering hard to decipher, I don't know if I'm the only one).

Viewed as a sort of fable/folk tale, I enjoyed it. The structure is great, too: the slow unsp
Amy Neftzger
Aug 22, 2014 Amy Neftzger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful folk tale that is everything we've come to expect from Neil Gaiman - an overarching darkness throughout, a plot that involves mystery, unexpected revelations with twists and turns of events, and a new way of looking at things we've taken for granted. The story follows two men on a journey in search of gold in the Black Cave in the Mountains, but I won't reveal too much else since the story is fairly brief, and I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

The book is heavily illustrated, which
Farah Shamma
Jul 01, 2015 Farah Shamma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I cannot emphasis how incredible this story is. I read this one out loud because the writing was just too beautiful. The story itself was very engrossing and mysterious and incredibly atmospheric as well thanks to the illustrations! Not to mention the fact that the opening paragraph for this story is definitely, definitely at the top with one of my favorites! It's a quick short read but very impactful. Highly recommend because Neil Gaiman is genius.
Octavi
Jun 19, 2016 Octavi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gran relato largo de Gaiman con unas ilustraciones muy cuidadas y originales. Muy recomendable.
Courtnie
Mar 08, 2016 Courtnie rated it liked it
Shelves: short-story, 2016
- My first Gaiman read. I liked this:

(short story)
Kelly
Nov 30, 2015 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a Neil Gaiman fan I was thrilled when Radio 4 chose this adaptation for' Book At Bedtime".
I do enjoy audio's and this short story was narrated by Bill Paterson who's voice took a bit of getting used to as he has a strong Scottish accent but it of course fit the story perfectly and you can see why he was chosen plus I enjoyed the snippets of music which set the atmosphere.
Set on the Isle Of Skye in Scotland the story is about two men travelling to a cave filled with cursed treasure but only on
“If you walk the path, eventually you must arrive at the cave,” we are told, a cave full of gold there for the taking in return for just a little price. And the truth is a cave in the black mountains. Maybe.

The story begins and ends with just a small tree, not a cave, with just a thing tangled in the branches. Life and death, tangled together.

Our hero is a father who finds a guide to take him to a cave in the black mountains. He finds no truth there, though he does find something sharp. I do n
Kat
Basic Plot: A man seeks a cave, but there is a hidden agenda in his journey.

I wanted to like this book a lot more than I actually did. I mean, it's Neil Gaiman! He's awesome, right? Well, the story itself, while interesting, always felt like something more was supposed to happen and nothing ever did. The art was bothersome to me. Again, there were moments when I almost liked it, but I just didn't. It seemed *sloppy*. It was very unfinished and impressionistic, which is not really me taste. Even
Michela
Jun 10, 2015 Michela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dizem que há uma caverna cheia de ouro por lá, e que aqueles que a procuram para levar parte de seu ouro se tornam um pouco mais malignos...
AmberBug *shelfnotes.com*
Solid, quick, entertaining tale - very folklorish. Gaiman can't really go wrong with this kind of stuff.
  • Good Omens: The BBC Radio 4 dramatisation
  • The Graveyard Book Volume 2
  • Baltimore, Vol. 5: The Apostle and the Witch of Harju
  • 28 Days Later, Vol. 4: Gangwar
  • Lady Mechanika, Vol.1: the Mystery of Mechanical Corpse
  • The Art of Neil Gaiman: The Visual Story of One of the World's Most Vital Creative Forces
  • Finder, Vol. 04: Talisman
  • The Fir Tree
  • Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde: The Devoted Friend/The Nightingale and the Rose
  • The Storyteller
  • Mouse Guard: Baldwin the Brave and Other Tales
  • The Woods, Vol. 2: The Swarm
  • The Old Magic of Christmas: Yuletide Traditions for the Darkest Days of the Year
  • Ponies
  • Meteor Men
  • The Dark Worlds of H.P. Lovecraft, Vol 1
  • Ame-Comi Girls Vol. 1
  • Sita: Daughter of the Earth: A Graphic Novel

“I am old now, or at least, I am no longer young, and everything I see reminds me of something else I’ve seen, such that I see nothing for the first time. A bonny girl, her hair fiery red, reminds me only of another hundred such lasses, and their mothers, and what they were as they grew, and what they looked like when they died. It is the curse of age, that all things are reflections of other things.” 19 likes
“The truth is a cave in the black mountains. There is one way there, and one way only, and that way is treacherous and hard. And if you choose the wrong path you will die alone, on the mountainside.” 11 likes